What Do YOU Want to do With Pam Anderson’s Uggs?

Written by PETA | October 3, 2007

Remember what Pam Anderson said a few months ago about the whole Uggs craze?

“I feel so guilty for that craze being started around Baywatch days – I used to wear them with my red swimsuit to keep warm – never realizing that they were SKIN! Do NOT buy UGGs! Buy Stella McCartney or Juicy boots – I’m looking for alternatives myself for my boys and the men in my life! I’m designing some right now for my family and will try and have some available on my Web site soon.”

Well, Pam dug the original Uggs out of her closet and offered them to us to help draw attention to the cruelty involved in the Australian wool industry (Uggs are made of Australian sheep skins), and this is where you come in. We want to hear your best ideas on how to use them to bring attention to this important issue. Feel free to post your ideas as comments or send them to me directly. We’ll announce the best idea on the blog in couple of weeks.

Here are a couple of my own ideas to get you started, though admittedly these aren’t the most exciting.

1. Offer them to the Hard Rock Café to be displayed along with Pam’s quote.
  2. Use them in some kind of demo with the slogan being “Give Cruelty the Boot”
  3. Use them in an ad saying “Uggs . . . Australian for Cruelty”

Comments

• karen says:

Australia doesnt even make uggs china does! they are worth crap anyways. mine fell apart in less then a year. they are ugly horriable and cruel!

• Daniele says:

I agree with statement above. They need to be given to someone who really NEEDS them. Then at least they will not be put to waste. My alternatives rock…and I am in super cold Colorado with really warm feet!

• Lisa says:

How come no one is suggestig giving the boots to someone who needs them. Some person someone who is cold and poor and cannot afford shoes? It baffles me to see that no one is thinking…hmm if something died for these boots why not give them to a person in need so they dont go to waste.

• Cara M.G. says:

Thanks for your add. I came upon this one looking for proof for the fliers some friends and I hung around the school today. It was awesome I’m so glad so many people are aware about the “Ugly Truth About Uggs.” Even though some people are giving us a hard time I’m not going to give up and I’m going to be sure I get my point across. Thanks for publishing this article!

• Billie says:

Y’all are so stupid and uninformed. My pa is an Aussie sheep farmer and the sheep are treated very well. I also own quite a few pairs of UGGs and they are the most comfortable and stylish boots. Read up on sheep before making another stupid comment.

• Mr. Chief says:

DO NOT give money to the poor and homeless. Give them JOBS and education It worked for FDR. If you give them money they will waste it on something dumb maybe drugs since they are ignorant. Dont call me heartless or evil call me smart.

• Lynn says:

I like to say Uggs is short for Ugly! haha

• jennie says:

my own solution will be to take all of the witty quotes seen throughout these comments and write them all ovr my own uggs in red marker and wear them in advertisement myself.

• Katie says:

Have a funeral for the boots afterall they were once a living creature. And get people to make a donation when attending.

• CARA says:

I THINK A POSTER SOUNDS GOOD LIKE A PICTURE OF A SHAVED SHEEP THEN AN ADDITION SYMBOL THEN A PICTURE OF A SKINED SHEEP THEN AN EQUALS SYMBOL THEN THE UGG BOOTS. THEN UNDERNEATH SAY THE UGLY TRUTH ABOT UGGS. I THINK THE HARD ROCK IDEA IS GOOD BUT REALLY GUYS NOBODY I THINK WILL REALLY CARE. PEOPLE GO THERE TO STUFF THERE FACES WITH MEAT. I THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE PAM PAINT AROUND A PATCH OF A SKINNED SHEEP PATCH PUT ON THEM. THEN HAVE HER SIGN THEM AND PUT THAT IN HARD ROCK THEN TOUR THEM IF YOU CAN BUT JUST THE UGG ITSELF IS NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE WANT MORE SO I THINK SOMTHING GRAPHIC WILL RECIEVE MORE ATTENTION

• JoJo B.A.R. says:

Well it seems a shame to not use them for as much mileage as you can get for them. Step 1 Put them in an ad campaign perhaps something with Pam holding them by her fingers as she is about to throw them into some foul looking trash can while holding her nose with her face turned away. You can then put up her quote or some catchy slogan like the one above “the UGGly Truth about Sheepskin” etc or both. Step 2 Create an appropriate display for them at a Hard Rock Cafe or Fashion Cafe or some similar celebrity oriented restaurant. Step 3 Put them up in some sort of charity auction with the winner going to a party where they get to donateinstall the boots into a display at such a restaurant. This could even involve Pam herself or other celebrities. Essentially you are auctioning an exclusive celebrity evening or something of that sort. The other option is you can just have the restaurant buy the boots outright instead of donating them since they pay for most of their collectibles anyways. Though you could also donate them to the Smithsonian Museum of American History who would be happy to take them along with the quote display and whatever ad campaign came from it. They would even be happy to have a charity event there with celebrities talking about the boot campaign etc.

• Diana says:

“Ugg” Wearing another animal’s skin on your feet is NOT fashionable it’s just plain wrong!

• Stanley Jones-Umberger says:

The idea of displaying them in Hard Rock Cafe with a message sounds good but what would you do if it was a Jew skin lampshade or a shrunken human head instead? We’re so used to seeing animal parts on display that no one thinks twice about it. I say bury them “down under”.

• Amy says:

I like what Carney Anne said “Count sheep don’t wear them…Choose Cruelty Free Coziness over UGGly boots.” I actually liked it so much that I put that quote and a pic of uggs on my myspace with a link to this page so everyone who wears uggs can know the real story behind what they are wearing if you wanna see it my url is myspace.comdesigninggirl

• elgin lee baker says:

HMMMMMMM……..PUT THEM TO REST

• Jeni says:

I was raised on an aussie sheep farm and honestly you guys are out of line giving the aussies a hard time about it…It is a way of life and most treat their sheep better than they’d treat their workers…you have no idea of the dedication they have to their sheep…so stop complaining about it sheep will die with or without the aussie sheep farmers

• Melissa says:

Use them in an ad saying Uggs . . . Australian for Cruelty…which is Uggly

• Barb Fleming says:

seal them in a container that cannot be opened sell them on Ebay and donate the money to PETA the slogan on the container a gaurantee that nobody can wear them in a container yet proceeds going to PETA

• Gretchen says:

Uggs stands for UGGLY!!!

• Tass says:

Use them in an ad saying “The UGGly truth about sheepskin” accompanied by a photo. It’s funny that people are getting all caught up in exports and imports and whether or not the rest of the aminal’s dead carcass is being used… Isn’t it enough that you are wearing the SKIN of a DEAD BODY on your feet? It just grosses me out. Ugh. Kinda funny too that if people found out they were actually wearing human skin or the skin of their beloved family pet or something THEN they’d be all outraged. But because you didn’t know the animal or something I’m just guessing I have no idea why most people are able to just live with it. Baffling.

• Olivia says:

well sad to say that I have 2 pairs of uggs. and right after my second pair that i had bought.. pam comes out and announces she is boycotting them. Oops ! BUT! The sheep are raised for there meat I know I know. No better. But I am glad that they just don’t kill them for fur. Now they should stop killing them all together. I know they kill them for there meat because I sent emails to costumer service demanding to know where the sheep come from and if they are only killed for fur. P.s. I dont think i will wear them anymore!!

• Christopher Cochran MD says:

Careful Dusty PETA disciples know a lot more about sheep farming than you ever will. They saw a movie once and read the PETA files. Top That!!

• Kimberly says:

Walk in Love not Ughs Love is beautiful Ughly is just Ughly So put on your shoes of Peace and take off those of Ugly Ughs.

• Pam says:

How about a celebrity auction? With the proceeds going to the horrible and cruel Australian mulesing industry.The highest bidder could in turn sell the Ugg’s and give proceeds to an animal shelter. I also want to say what a wonderful compassionate person Pamela Anderson is God Bless her for all she does for the animals.

• keith says:

‘ Ole Dusty ‘ sounds a Hardcase. still I expect he comes from Criminal Heritage..if he can understand that word !!

• rojo says:

jessica less than 4 of the australian flock is live exported. The prefered age for export is around 3 years old however sheep can easily produce wool for several more years. Support wool and deprive the export industry of sheep.

• parla says:

I think Nirajan Amarnath’s 3rd idea is the best. I agree with him

• Dusty says:

Hey Russell I’m a 3rd generation Aussie sheep farmer and you are an ill informed moron. We treat our sheep a hell of a lot better than i would treat you if i ever saw you.

• Tamara says:

Why can’t you use the boots in an ad AND give them a permanent home in a Hard Rock Cafe? An ad only involves a photo of the boots. Maximum publicity is what you want so you need to do an ad. The Hard Rock Cafe idea is just cool. And she should definately autograph them!

• Carney Anne says:

Use them in an ad saying “Count sheep don’t wear them…Choose Cruelty Free Coziness over UGGly boots.”

• rojo says:

kelly well you certainly proved me wrong on the leather. not.

• Jessica says:

Selling on eBay is only a good idea if they were made somehow not wearable. Otherwise you are advocating the wearing of Uggs no matter WHAT is put in the description. On the wool note traditionally wool is cut off without harming the sheep. However in Australia they engage in muelsing which in theory isn’t that bad except that it’s usually executed poorly and the resulting wound is almost never treated just left open to cause pain and infection. Also as soon as the sheep are of proper age they are shipped off on an overcrowded boat on which a good portion of them die to some country without humane slaughter laws where their throats are slit letting them choke on their own blood then they are skinned and then they are butchered for meat. So yes unlike American meat industries and Chinese fur industries it does all get used. But how important is that really when you consider how it was procured? Does that really make the suffering okay?

• sara says:

i think that if you already have them use them bacause they are paid for buit donot buy more leather thats what i do.

• kelly says:

“I guess the reverence for cows in India isn’t what it used to be.” That’s the ONE thing you got right.

• Michele says:

How about “Uggly Give Cruelty the Boot”

• rojo says:

russelit would be amusing to see you try.

• rojo says:

Kelley the US actually exports 50 more leather than India does. US exports were over $1 billion. India exports were $638 million. present some plausible facts please. Perhaps you are confused by the fact that US leather can be exported to other countries like India and China to be processed and sent back as finished products. I guess the reverence for cows in India isn’t what it used to be.

• Melony says:

i agree with the sell it on eBay and donate to PETAor a local animal shelter….or make a label for them that says something about PETA and give them to the homeless…let them advertise!

• Susannah S says:

How about “UGH. Really.”

• Jaclyn says:

I like the idea of giving them a home at a restaurant such as Hard Rock Cafe. It would be nice if they could go on tour first from restaurant to restaurant til they make it “home.” Have her sign them with her quote.

• Melissa says:

I like Peta’s third idea.

• AnimalLib says:

Sell Pammy’s boots on ebay and spend the money on an raising awareness i.e. Advertising.

• kelly says:

Hey rojo. Slaughter fans used to say that leather was just a byproduct of the meat industry and it shouldn’t be wasted. Then we found out that most American leather ACTUALLY comes from India where cows are killed just for their skin. More slaughter trade cons.

• Noah says:

“Uggs … Australian for Cruelty” sounds suspiciously like a certain antifoie gras poster that reads “Foie Gras French for Cruelty”

• Russell says:

I want to shove them up an Aussie sheep farmers ass!

• cari g. says:

Sell them on Ebay and donate the money to PETA! Ask if she’ll sign them and that might raise more money.

• rojo says:

You do realise ugg is an american owned brand?

• Niranjan Amarnath says:

Here are my ideas 1st Use them in an Ad by Pam saying Uggs . . . Australian for Cruelty. 2nd As Jack said use them in a demo with the slogan being Give Cruelty the Boot. 3rd Soak it in ‘fake’ blood ship it off to the Prime Minister of Australia with a some tag saying “Here is the rest of the Australian cruelty”

• rojo says:

I would have said uggs are more to do with the sheep meat industry than wool. The sheep can only provide sheepskin once but produce wool for years. Sheepskin is a byproduct from the abattoir nothing should be wasted.

• Jen says: