When You Want Cheap, Fast, and Easy …
Turn to PETA’s Vegan College Cookbook and take your pick of 275 delicious vegan recipes. No space, equipment, time, or kitchen skills? This cookbook squelches any and all excuses for sticking with that boring ramen routine!
Today marks the official release of PETA’s Vegan College Cookbook, but over the weekend, peta2’s own Starza Kolman and Marta Holmberg jump-started the hype by signing copies at the Norfolk, Virginia, Barnes & Noble.
Today is also Cinco de Mayo, so why not celebrate with a tasty, festive seven-layer dip? It’s just one of the many delicioso recipes offered in the cookbook.
Seven-Layer Mexican Dip
- 1 8-oz. package vegan cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix
- 1 15.5-oz. can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup shredded soy cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. dried chives
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- Mix the “cream cheese” and taco seasoning. Spread onto the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate or other dish.
- Layer the beans, guacamole, salsa, lettuce, “cheddar cheese,” chives, and olives over the “cream cheese” mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with tortilla chips.
Makes 8 servings
Written by Karin Bennett