Victory! Victoria’s Secret Sheds Exotic Skins

Written by PETA | May 6, 2010

Victoria's Secret

Victoria’s Secret is cleaning out the skeletons in its closet catalogue. Thanks to a new policy by parent company Limited Brands, Victoria’s Secret and lingerie line La Senza will no longer sell exotic animal skins.

PETA’s undercover video footage has detailed the cold-blooded suffering that’s caused by the international exotic-skins trade, so it’s no longer any secret that snakes, crocodiles, lizards, kangaroos, and other animals are cruelly killed for their skins.

All that pain for a python purse or a croc clutch? Get real! I’ll stick with fashion accessories that have a killer look but don’t kill. And you can too: Pledge to shed any exotic skins in your own closet today!

Written by Amy Skylark Elizabeth

Comments

• Andres says:

Toby Saunders “That is so totally awesome. I wonder if the decision was to save money an act of kindness or to make money from the Animal Rights crowd… or some combination.” Who cares? Let us Rejoice the Win of Peta! Woot D

• Emilie says:

Again PETA have done an AMAZING JOB! And thanks Victoria Secret for your change everyone can make a difference! D

• Elgrit B. Russell says:

What is it that makes people want to wear skin that did not belong to them in the first place. All furs and other skins should be removed from all fashions so the animals can live naturally in their own element. To wear these skins is sickening to me.

• Lina GAmez says:

gracias super asi soy admiradora de Victoria y Por Lo Que bao leo y funcionamiento del cuerpo es mi Segundo admirador GRACIAS POR no ms permitir Torturas y marcar La Diferencia gracias muchas gracias.

• Kathryn Cooke says:

Thanks Victoria Secret! We shouldn’t stop here! This should be motivation to get other huge companies to stop using animal fur!

• tiziana says:

That is right. Goodvery good! Tiziana italia

• Liliana Closa says:

What a blessing to hear these news! Its like music to my ears a new bright beginning and the signal for all of us animal carers that people can change and laws can happen for the sake of the defenseless animals we love and admire! Lets keep up the good work! Liliana El Salvador

• debbie says:

Hi Everyone I just read the lateest entry from Louisa Scholey.I am happy she wrote to let us all know about the Bath and Body Works and what that company has on it’s LABEL.’finished product not tested on animals’. WHAT really does this mean?Could everyone plee call the head office of this company or call Peta and get them to investigate.I will call and email so I am begging EVERYONE to take action.Love you all because you care Debbie in CA

• Chazie says:

weehoo! jumps around

• Chloe says:

I’m so glad to hear Victoria’s Secret and Limited Brands are going animalfree. I heard some of the models are vegetarians like Adriana Lima! If only they would both go sweatshop free too! Then more people like me would love them even more.

• stephanie albertini says:

ive been having a bad week when i got this email i was SOOO happy it literally made my day!!! im so happy that vs put this to an end. i think some people are actually starting to understand that killing animals for fur or food is EXTREMELY selfish!

• giovanna says:

yahooooooooooooooo! Giovanna a

• silvia says:

finally a beautiful notizia! Tanks Silvia Italia

• Lee Myers says:

Why do people mostly women think wearing the skin of dead animals is attractive? Fur makes one look fat and snake skin alligator etc. is creepy this is fashion? People should watch how their food is slaughtered and how their coats and purse materials are obtained…if they did they would never eat meat or wear fur or exotic skins again.

• SANDRA ROCHA says:

Thank you PETA for stopped that barbarity!!!

• Gina says:

Ive worn fur coats that I bought at really nice estate sales but never did I have any ideal that animals were treated so cruelly. Nor did I have any thought ever go through my mind that an animal was alive as it was skinned alive. Im sickened by the video and I now have an entirely new outlook at this. My good God what kind of people do this sort of thing I appalaud Victorias Secret and to tell you the truth I wont be wearing animal furs anymore. What I saw on that video horrified me.Wow PETA is really something wonderful. I dont think that alot of people are informed as to what really takes place. I know I was not and Im sickened that any animal should be tortured like that.

• Philippa says:

Thanks Victoria’s Secrets! It’s better late than never. I praise your efforts and look forward to your catalog

• Donna Juzkiw says:

The clothing industrymedia does not play up the beauty of the animal itself to “live” with us in harmony but the beauty of the skins or fur to be worn as a purse or coat on their fat backs. Somehow this makes me think that even faux looking materials should be played down since doing so keeps the thought of the “look’ in many persons head as being the “In thing”. Then when a person happens to choose that look if they are in a position to buy the real thing instead of the faux they buy the real thing without a thought of the abuse and death of the animal. We all have seen some fat woman who had a mink coat that looked horrendous but didnt say a thing. Then she wears it once or twice and because of the cost of proper storage let it rot. So an animal dies for some fat woman to look uglier wearing its skin once. Start telling everyone that animal skin and fur is ugly and uglier on them.

• Carol Reins says:

Thats great that VS has seen the light..I think every company that uses furskins should watch the videos of the skinning of live animalsthe treatment of reptiles etc.

• Jhonson Barrera says:

This is possiblethanks to the people who work in different situations conducting the investigations to show the true about the bloody market of the skins thanks Victoria secret for the wonderful news.Thank Peta for the hard work helping animals.

• antonio mattioli says:

dont kill crocodiles

• Theboynextdoor says:

Kelby I’m with you what does” finished product not tested on animals” mean? It seems they test test and test until they finally have the final product and then just say “well enough testing already I think we’ve tortured enough bunnies to make our lotion”

• Marguerite says:

Congratulations to PETA!!! Making awareness is the first step in educating the public to choose better options with their dollars in shopping. How is VS doing with their makeup line?? I didnt think that had the leaping bunny logo yet? I only buy from companies that dont support animal curelty and torture.

• Candace says:

Thank you I have more respect for the company now

• Donna says:

A Good move Victoria’s Secret and PETA THANK YOU!!

• chander kumar soni says:

nice liked it.

• Katia says:

That’s is such wise decision. Congrats!

• Deb says:

I too can’t believe they ever started to do this in the first place The fakes look and wear better don’t require special care Wildlife was slaughtered for handbags. It makes no sense

• Jessi says:

Wow that’s great especially because Victoria’s Secret is known all over the world.

• Klara says:

I ask myself what brings the people to wear exotic skins or also material that looks like exotic skin? For what??? And the faked one is like an ad for the real one! Thinking about wildlife and feeling closed to nature or what is it? Showing off with something that cavemen brought their women to be happy about? What makes the exotic design attractive? I could puke every time I watch it… ugly bullt!

• Anna says:

thank God they stopped it. its very sad what people are doing to those poor animals.

• izzy May says:

I never thought an ordinary store like Victoria secretes could commit to such a low! This article makes you wonder what other stores are hiding the relentless pain. But I am glad that they put victoria to end and saved lives!

• Bunny says:

kelby that means that the end product with all the ingredients mixed isnt tested on animals buut they could have the ingredients supplied from companies which DO test on animals i know LUSH dont use ingredients tested on animals and have maany vegan porducts!

• Kendall says:

I had no idea that Victoria had clothing that contained animal skins. I am so glad PETA has stopped this! It’s horrible for the animals. Great job PETA for making the world a better place!

• Aleksis says:

What saddens me about the exotic skin trade is that most everything made from their skin are items that people want out of status and popularity like an Hermes bag…I cannot believe so many people do not have the substance to think beyond that. Happy of course that VS has stopped the senseless cruelty.

• Toby Saunders says:

• Oliver says:

That is such brilliant news PETA well done for persuading them to ditch the skins. This will surely save many lives from a horrible death.

• Kelby says:

That is AWESOME although they also own Bath and Body Works where all of the products say “finished product not tested on animals”. Meaning????

• LOUISA SCHOLEY says:

i cant beleive they eva sold them in the first placewat the hell took them so long?how did they think the skins were obtained?did they think the animals died naturally or summut?bloody madness