VICTORY: Utah Hospital Halts Cruel Cat Lab!

Written by PETA | February 9, 2011
muffet/cc by 2.0

We are very happy to report that as a result of pressure from PETA and more than 25,000 of our supporters, Utah’s Primary Children’s Medical Center (PCMC) has announced that it is canceling plans to torment cats in a cruel and archaic training exercise!

As it had in previous years, PCMC planned to offer this animal lab as part of an annual conference that is co-sponsored by the University of Utah. The cats—who would have been purchased from a local animal shelter—were slated to have hard plastic tubes forced down their windpipes and likely would have suffered bleeding, swelling, scarring, and even collapsed lungs. But thanks to the efforts of PETA supporters who took part in a short but vigorous campaign, the cats will now be spared this trauma, and the conference will only use modern simulators for the training.

Since last week, tens of thousands of compassionate people responded to PETA’s e-mail action alert targeting PCMC, and hundreds posted comments on PCMC’s wall on Facebook (prompting the hospital to shut down the page entirely).  The owner of Salt Lake City’s all-vegan Cakewalk Baking Company even made and hand-delivered a cake to PCMC’s CEO in protest of the inhumane exercise.

This morning, we asked supporters to call PCMC and urge officials to do the right thing by calling off this exercise. Hundreds did just that, and some of you may have heard the news directly that PCMC was scrapping plans for this cruel laboratory.

While we are thrilled to celebrate this important victory for animals, we ask that you please take a moment to speak out against the cruel actions of North Utah Valley Animal Shelter (NUVAS)—the last shelter in Utah that continues to sell animals for experiments and the facility that would have provided cats to PCMC. PETA’s successes depend on your willingness to take action. Let’s keep the momentum going!

Written by Jeremy Beckham

Comments

• Alfredo Tamez says:

cant believe it! i love cats and in general all animals, please stop it… i cannot read anymore… peace

• sue says:

signed and sent…now to work on the cats still stuck in the shelter..will they be put down?:(

• lecuyer says:

Merci peta

• erlingsen helene says:

PLEASE.. STOP !

• Joy Ashall says:

I am so distressed over the cruelty that the Utah Lab is doing to these beautiful cats and rabbits. Have they no heart at all. These animals feel pain. God said I pass on to you the love and companionship of dumb animals….the nuzzle of a donkey,the neigh of a horse,the welcoming bark of a dog and the contented purr of a cat upon your window sill. But I also charge you with the care and protection of such creatures and all living things. They, too, share this land of ours and are part of its heritage. It was NEVER intended for man alone!!!!!

• Chloe says:

Thank you PCMC and The University of Utah for putting an end to these cruel and inhumane tests!

• Bonnie says:

Good work PETA and a thank you for PCMC for listening and taking a positive action for the animals.

• Lyndaroux says:

I am so happy for the out come, but what will happen to these animals? what is the future hold for them? Are they still in the possion of this Hospital? what about their safety and well being. I hope they will be removed from the facility and placed in good homes.

• marita says:

I love the cats, and i have one. This lab is a shame. The cats or all the animals wasent make for this. Thank you peta, very much to make stop this absurd.

• tiff says:

anytime they claim theyll stop the stupid tortures, it makes me wonder how honest theyre being. anyone can say theyre gunna do something, but its quite another thing if they actually DO it!

• CARINA FRANCINE says:

GOOD JOB………….BUT WHAT HAPPENNED TO THE CATS THEY PURCHASE ????? OTHER BAD STUFF.????

• giovanna says:

this is a beautiful new! Tanks PETA Giovanna Italia

• Autumn says:

Also City Weekly in Salt Lake City wrote an article about this: http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/blog-5052-primary-childrens-drops-cat-intubation-training-a-.html#commAjax Truly a heartwarming article! Thank you Jesse Fruhwirth at City Weekly for writing about this! Thank you Jeremy Beckham at PETA for helping to stop this outrageous lab, also thanks to Kelly Green for also generously baking the cake that cannot be ignored. As well as all the concerned people that called Primary Childrens Hospital to tell them they shouldn’t use cats for their labs, and finally, for PCMH for making the right decision to not include cats in their labs. Thanks to everyone who made this possible!

• daniela says:

i’m so happy for the news. Thank you PETA! But still i’m concerned about monitoring these laboratories…how do we know if the cats will be safe from this cruelty? they don’t have a voice..PETA is the only voice they have!

• T.Werner says:

STOP this Cruelty !!!!!!!!!

• isabella says:

Happy to hear Italia is great supporter as well. It,s fantastic to be all together in this. Just love it. Union makes force and things have to change. They have 2!

• isa says:

thankyou. gosh thankgod 4 this victory……I’m so very happy..and thanks Valerie 4 those phone numbers. I just love it when I 2 can call or fax. It has a stronger affect I believe. I am doing so with Smithfield Pork Producers as well. Please support me on this one.

• Maria van Musscher says:

Thank you thank you PETA I”m so happy for the cats my tears fall!!!

• Ramachandran says:

Great achievement by PETA. May PETA accomplish more in the interest of our ‘Animal Friends’

• Neerja Dhanwani says:

I am happy with the news but I am not convinced that this cruelty has stopped completely. I strongly oppose this inhuman act against innocent and beautiful anilmals who are global room mates.We must treat them with love and compassion. Request PETA team to keep your good work on. God bless.

• maureen says:

I am extremely happy for this very good news. Thanks so much PETA. More power and more good news to come…

• JOEL ZUNIGA LIZARRAGA says:

WONDERFUL NEWS FOR EVERBODY WHO’S LOVES THE ANIMALS, AN SPECIAL FOR ANIMAL KINGDOM.

• Lucia Varela says:

That’s great!! hopefully animal cruelty is gonna end very soon :D *-* Greets from colombia -Lucia

• Cat says:

IT does not sound like the issue is solved. They still have the cats and though they state they will use modern stimulators noone is monitoring this. How do you know they are still not performing the cruelty to these cats. This shatters me!

• Ana Cristina Baptista says:

I’m very happy for stopping this animal violence. Thank you for your beautiful work.

• Valerie says:

What a victory, but now we do need to pester North Utah Valley Animal Shelter (in a polite way of course). Phone Number: (801) 785-3442. They are easy to google and even have a fax number and a direct email. Call them. I just asked how much to adopt and how much do they make for selling – to an experimenter. Please call and email. Inundate them. Easy and quick.

• Erin says:

Thank-you Peta

• Erin says:

I am so happy too for the cats too,Yay on that they won’t be doing that anymore

• David says:

As some of my 7 cats snuggle in for the night in bed with me, I can’t help think of the cats and others animals that have no one but a cold cage…

• K.G.Stikkelorum says:

Thanks to PETA, for all their hard work and the continued hard work. Please dont ever give up the fight against animal suffering and their lives.

• val kerry says:

GREAT NEWS !! ITS ABOUT TIME WE HEARD SOME GOOD NEWS FOR THE ANIMALS !! LIKE LINDA I PRAY FOR THE ANIMALS EVERY NIGHT. I TRY TO DO MY VERY BEST FOR THEM WHEN AND WHERE I CAN

• vincenzo says:

Well PETA! Vicenzo Italia

• Heidi Betts says:

I’m so happy about this result & truly thank PETA for being on top of these thing & then making it so easy for us to voice our protest. Thank you for all that you do! One thing I would like to see, tho, is a simple way to click on these items to retweet them automatically on Twitter & Facebook. I would love to spread the word, but sometimes it’s not easy & I feel a little preachy…having easy click buttons that would repost the info for me would be super!

• JR says:

Thank you Utah Hospital for finally listening to the voices of compassion. Thank you PETA and everyone who called, wrote to speak up for the animals!

• ruben says:

no words can express the importance of PETA’s mission. Not only do they save animals, they help us save ourselves. Thank You.

• Abby Martello says:

Thank you for making this step toward animal welfare :)

• Linda says:

Praise GOD!! PETA, GOD bless each and every one of you! I still can’t fathom how the human race can be so cruel toward innocent animals. I pray daily for their protection. PETA, thank you for what you do!

• Lisa says:

Thank GOD for PETA, thank you for all you do.

• patricia says:

IAM SO HAPPY FOR ALL THE ANIMAILS THANKS ALL THEY HAVE SINGS AND PETA TO.

• Sandrine PONTHIEU says:

Merci. C’est une super nouvelle

• clarkstonmom says:

PETA–You are the best. Thank you for all you do. You’re an amazing ally for the animals in this world.

• Vania says:

Excellent news! Thank you very much PETA! :)

• Kanelle Charief says:

Une petite avancée grâce à vous Péta.Nous le savons qu’il y a encore beaucoup de travail. Mais savourons le goût de cette victoire afin de reprendre des forces et continuer ensemble le combat pour la protection, le droit et enfin le respect des animaux.

• Roxanne says:

thank you to PETA, for all their hard work and continued hard work. Please dont ever give up the fight against animal cruelty and saving their lives.

• Leni says:

Verry,Verry Beatyfuil

• Nerissa says:

What a great result! What will happen to the cats now? Will they be sent back to the shelter?

• Jessica says:

Thank you to PETA and all of the amazing, kind people who are the heart of PETA!

• Janice Fisher says:

Peta every cat and animal in the world thanks you from the bottom of their little hearts without you and the work you do their lives would be helpless and defenless. God needs people to look after his animals on earth, and your Organistation will be bless by him through the people who supported your work. Take a bow you deserve it, for the tireless work done in the name of the animals.

• Laura in Taos says:

Who gets the job done? PETA gets the job done! You. Guys. Rock.

• Tiffany says:

yay!!!! great to hear i love PETA!!!! :)