Victory! Texas Tech Drops Cruel Cat Lab

Written by PETA | December 29, 2009
static.squidoo / CC
cats

A few weeks ago, we were thrilled to report that Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) agreed to stop using homeless cats obtained from Odessa Animal Control in deadly medical training exercises, but we weren’t sure whether or not Texas Tech had abandoned the practice of shoving plastic tubes down the throats of cats altogether. Well, now it’s official: News reports confirm that TTUHSC will no longer use cats for this training! I’m sure our rejected newspaper ads and celebrity support played a big part in securing this towering triumph, but the victory really belongs to the more than 30,000 (!) compassionate people who took action against TTUHSC.

With 2010 fast approaching, we’ve got a lot to celebrate, but there are still countless animals who are being tortured and killed in experiments. Let’s start the New Year by riding on the wave of our TTUHSC success and bringing the same support to the more than two dozen monkeys whom NASA intends to torture by exposing them to massive doses of dangerous radiation. Urge NASA to cancel its cruel plans and instead direct its funds to humane methods of scientific inquiry. Here’s to starting 2010 with another victory!

Written by Logan Scherer

Comments

• Monica Luberti says:

This is Great News !

• Sophie says:

i am twelve years old and i just found out that they also test animals to make CANDY……i just found out about animal testing last night but i am very much into stopping it..and stoping this university is a huge start..thx alot PETA!!!!!

• Kristinnn says:

I never really thought about animals being used for experiments in labs like this. This literally opened my eyes further to what else is going on that hidden from us. And im completely happy that they stopped using homeless cats for these horrible experiments. seriously D thank you PETA

• bonnie Stranks says:

Oh my goodness im so happy that these innocent little kittens dont have to suffer anymore. Congratulations on your fantastic achievement PETA

• Lynelle says:

Thank God!! God Bless these innocent babies!!! xoxo Let’s keep pushing forward for the rest of them now!!!!

• Allison says:

Thank God they do not have to suffer and thank PETA for their devoted love Allison

• John J says:

Cat intubation labs work. I was trained on lab kittens and have used that airway training for many years. Newborn infants and premature babies need special airway care and the practice of intubation on kittens is a great way to learn the lifesaving skill. Human babies first kittens second. JJ M.D.

• Richelle Cates says:

Wow! You guys helped save tons of animals. I am so proud of you. Way to go

• kaylyn olds says:

thank youy for stoping the cruel cat lab experiments. its people like you that make the world a better place.

• sheila says:

so great news for these sweet cats!! thanks a lot for taking so much care all animals!!

• Nicholas Gysi says:

A great victory. I’m happy for those cats. A great start to the year. Those cats are entitled to a decent life like any human.

• salma says:

thanks so much for rescuing the poor animals that news made my day keep up the good work PETA

• Elisa says:

This news brought a tear to my eye. Thank You PETA for all your hard work.

• Tiffany says:

This is wonderful to head that cats aren’t being used in cruel experiments now. But those poor monkeys…..how can Nasa be so cruel…they should know better…. I hope they stop using monkeys… Other than that Way to go PETA!!! Keep standing against Animal cruelty!! cause were standing against it to.

• Kerra YOUSFI says:

I’m so Happy. You are the best.

• Isabel says:

Horrible poor animals

• Laura says:

Good I’d have had a hard time bustin’ in there and personaly removing those cats. I love it when we the world win.

• Kat, Edinburgh, Scotland says:

Congratulations PETA on ending this atrocity! Do you have any information on the poor cat Robert?

• Deb says:

As a cat lover this is great News. Peta is awesome. Thanx to all who stood up to the school.

• leny valdez says:

wow!!that’s so cool. if it wasn’t for peta this miracle would of never happend. thank you peta for being animals hero’s.

• Isamar Naranjo says:

This is amazing!. Thank u petaa!. Congratulation and God bless u.

• Storm Machinine says:

Thank you Peta you Saved Cats lives today i Hate when people abuse and hurt Animals like AnimalsAll Animals have feelings they should be treated kindly. Peace to those animals who had to suffer go Vegan WHOEVER reads this comment

• April Asbahr says:

Congratulations!!! I did read the comment about puppy mills. My daughter were team drivers and drove an 18 wheeler for several years. During our time out on the road we ran into a couple that was announcing the sale of dapple dauchunds. We purchased the most adorable little puppy. At age 8 months he had his first seizure. He’s now 3 and we are both at home because of my disability. He has to take potassium bromide and phenobarbitol both of which is increasing as time goes by. I’ve been told this is the result of bad breeding. If so please do something for these innocent dogs…female dogs that have puppies over and over again and loose all strength and then put out poor pups with bad health. I love my little dog and wouldn’t trade him for a million dollars but it has taken its toll on me seeing him have these seizures. If anyone has any information that can help people out there that owns a pet that has seizures please post that info for us to read and to learn. Thank you PETA for all you do and thanks to all of the people that are out there petitioning against cruelty to these beautiful innocent animals. They have so much to give and they ask for nothing in return. Shame on you if you are one of the many testers of innocent animals..there has to be another way..there has to be..and when you earn that almighty dollar and go out to eat think about that innocent animal that was tortured and was put in pain. Do we have that much money to spend on these projects to test these poor animals????? If so how about turning around and contributing to the SPCA and any other organization that helps all animals….

• Steffani Magnus-Redinger says:

Peace to those animals who had to suffer. So thankful for those who are now saved from it.

• karen wall says:

This is great news especially since I am an alumni of Texas Tech. I am even more proud not to be associated with the schoo!

• Camila says:

I’m so so happy with this news!!!!!!!!!uhuuuuu! we won! The animals won! I always like it Texas now I like more! God bless us. Finally a great news to star this year!

• Nicole Borngrebe says:

I am blissfully happy. Thank you PETA for your undying commitment to saving the animals we love! YAY!

• Arzu Adakan says:

Thank you PETA and supporters of PETA in achieving this success. There are still many university research labs that torture and kill animals in the name of science such as Emory University here in Atlanta. Let’s take action against these universities and government organizations. Thank you!

• IRENE WYNNE says:

Please find out what they intend to replace these cats with before celebrating.

• Christine Anderson says:

This is great news. Thank you PETA for all your hard work in defending these wonderful creatures. What an awesome way to start the New Year!

• Doris Sepulveda says:

thanx to all ur hard work PETA and a special thanx to texas tech what a victory Im sure alot of people including themselves will sleep alot better now and what a victory to our most defensless and innocent animals!! WOOOOHOOOO

• Debbie says:

A big thank you to PETA for all they do to stop the horrific treatment of animals in all ways experimentation slaugther for food fur etc. Because of PETA’s awareness campaigns I became vegetarian this past year. Keep up the GREAT work.

• Marita Carlsson says:

Thanks Peta! Great Victory! Homeless cats is amazing cats and pets! From Marita in Sweden!

• Vanessa says:

AWW!! IM SOOOOO GLAD THAT THEY AGREED NOT TO DO THIS ANYMORE!! I feel so much better already! Im very fragile about animals! God bless on cats!3

• barb says:

Thanks PETA for all you do. GO VEGAN!

• Stephanie says:

Aawww yay.! im so happy D

• Adriana T. says:

Hip hip horah! I love cats. They are one of God’s creatures. I had the unfortunate experience as a child to watch a local stray cat which I took care of die due to poisoning. The cat woke up one morning and tried to walk with his paws curled in as if he could not get out of a sleeping position. He was half paralized and could not walk properly. I was horrified and could barely watch. All I could do is cry and ask why…Why and how could somone due such a thing? He died shortly afterwards. I have never forgotten the torture the poor defenceless creature had to endure. END ANIMAL CRUELTY ONCE AND FOR ALL!

• Paul and Joann says:

Thank you to everyone who takes the time out for all the helpless animals that suffer in this world. We have to be their voice. They need us all. Thank you PETA for all you do.

• Marge says:

I am very happy to hear about this. But I can’t stop thinking about all the cats for years and years that had to endure such torture. It is so sad on what goes on behind closed doors that voiceless animals have to go through.

• tiffany page says:

Finally!! Odessa animal shelter babies no longer will be subjected to cruel torture and deaths. One down many more to go!! Thank you !! Happy 2010!! We ARE making progress!!

• ellie says:

the sad thing is i dont actually believe that they have stopped experimenting. As much as i’m horrified about people experimenting on cats I’m sure whoever’s in charge will never have enough compassion to stop it.

• Jennifer Hagens says:

Thank you Texas Tech for seeing the Light and THANK YOU PETA FOR DOING THE LIGHTWORK!! Yeah applause.. This kind of good news keeps me going in writing the endless emails for mercy.. Thanks from my cat and me

• viviana pardo says:

What good news KNOW THAT AT LEAST HE IS FORBIDDEN TO USE THIS TRAINING ANIMALS GOOD IS A NEW YEAR BEGINS WITH ONE FOOT FORWARD! HAPPY 2010!

• Laura says:

me being a cat lover im so happy that this happend! bless PETA and all helpers. 3

• fee says:

Well done Peta you are great! I just wish there wasn’t any animal abuse at all so people wouldn’t have to stop them. I can’t believe what kind of people would abuse animals like this I really wish someone would hurt them like they hurt animals.

• Pam says:

Wonderful news for PETA and every animal lover. PETA does such great work of bringing awareness of animal abuse and research to us. I am so proud of everyone who took a stand. Let’s keep it up and see where it takes us in 2010. Happy happy day!!!

• Jess says:

YAY PETA !! Great job everyone!

• Alesha says:

I just sent an email to NASA!

• Sharon Cohen says:

Just wonderful news!! We sign these petitions and donate in the hope that our voices will be heard for all the animals that we love so dearly. It is so fantastic when we hear great news like this. Thanks for all you do.

• candice says:

HOORAY!!!! This issue is near and dear to my heart as a guardian of three cats. My heart just melts at the idea of these poor babies being hurt. These victories are why we fight. On to the next!!We are the voice for these defenseless animals and I intend to make my presence known. No more cruelty to animals!! Thanks to all you who fight these issues everyday. Persistance wins!