Victory: Lufthansa Stops Shipping Dogs and Cats to Laboratories

Written by PETA | April 15, 2010
Lufthansa

Wow, that was fast! Less than a day after PETA released heartbreaking photos and posted an action alert on our Web site drawing attention to the plight of more than 50 dogs who were transported on a Lufthansa cargo plane from the U.S. to a notorious Charles River Laboratories animal testing facility in Scotland, Lufthansa has announced a new policy prohibiting the transport of dogs and cats to laboratories. To everyone who responded to our call to action, thank you!

It’s a great first step and an important victory for cats and dogs. We’re delighted that Lufthansa acted so speedily. But all animals suffer in laboratories, so PETA is currently in discussions with Lufthansa concerning additional measures that can be taken to protect animals of other species.

Written by Alisa Mullins

Comments

• Bea says:

Please invest too American Airlines. Today 6 beagle dogs has been transported to Barcelona for laboratories. Please help!!

• Cynthia says:

THANKS LUFTHANSA hopefully others will follow your super example!

• Dawn M says:

Thank you for taking such positive action in saving these loving animals please keep up the good work and protect all animals!

• Mindy LaCorte says:

God Bless PETA

• Kim Palmer says:

I can get some comfort knowing that there are groups like ‘PeTA’ to make a voice for animals. It breaks my heart to know what evil goes on in the world and that there are people who have no concious to put animals through such suffering just for a new chemical that may be used in a cleaning product or beauty product! I adhere to a strict BUAV shopping policy and even though I’ve told people what they should and shouldn’t buy I’m appalled by peoples laziness and unwillingness to change! This affects me so much there’s not a day goes by without me thinking about the plight of these animals. I have to remember though at least I’ve got 6 animals that I care for everyday and give so much love to. I’ve rescued animals and I help at my local animal sanctuary when I have time. I’m also about to get the BUAV symbol as a tattoo to show my commitment to the cause. I can only hope one day that we can live in a world that is cruelty free

• Virginia Canino says:

Thank you so much from a grateful educator.

• Rui Viegas says:

Would YOU allow your beloved dog or cat to travel this way ? You should all know better than I do how baggage gets misplaced in warehouses for weeks sometimes and other is never recovered. Yours faithfully Rui Viegas.

• Shannon LaCorte says:

THANK YOU ALL AT PETA AND IN THE PUBLIC WHO HELPED WIN THIS AWESOME VICTORY FOR ANIMALS!!! Keep up the fantastic work people!! We all love and support you in EVERYTHING that you do!! Congrats to all the animals you have saved from suffering being terrified alone cold helpless and tortured!! Bravo!! More more more of this!!

• Alicia Bonilla says:

STOP!

• Tim Johnston says:

My thanks to PETA for exposing all the cruelty in the worldbut there is so far to go. Girls try buying cruelty free cosmeticsthey will soon get the message . We can all look to reduce our reliability on drugsand thus experimentationby looking at Homoeopathy I did with excellent results . I am happy you responded so quickly Lufhansathank you

• liliana closa says:

Lufthansa???? Boy youd think these super developed countries and their enterprises would not do this ever! the faces of these poor dogs how can anybody be supporting it its barbaric!

• Ana Fontan says:

The indiference callousness and contempt that so many people exhibit toward animals is evil first because it results in great suffering in animals and second because it results in an incalculably great impoverishment of the human spirit.

• Tania says:

It comes back times 10.

• Rui Viegas says:

pLEASE DON’T DO THIS!

• Daniel J, Aguilar D. says:

Gracias a todos!!!!!! Son lo maximo!!! Sigan asi!!!!!

• Manuela says:

Ohhh Im so glad!!!! Thank u Peta!! and thank u Lufthansa!!

• rj says:

What a shame that the only way you can line your pockets with cash or get the fame you need in this life is by being so cruel and vicious to other lesser creatures on this planet. Jesus our Lord and Savior has revealed to me that you will go to hell and endure the torture of that eternal place you and all those that practice torture of his precious creatures. U will be on the other end of that cruelty. There will be no exit from the burning fires of hell. Will you risk your eternal soul just to make money or fame??? Is it worth it?? U say U dont believe in God well just wait long enough and it will be proven to you without doubt. All of us will some day die and give an account of our life. STOP this horror now show mercy to these precious animals and perhaps God will be merciful to you on your big day.

• Rui Viegas says:

Please stop this as you are no doubt aware this IS very bad publicity for your company. What if someone decided to put an article in several newspapers would you then change tactics ? Yours faithfully Rui Viegas.

• daniela andrade says:

stop this i cant believe it… WHY?? if their human you do the same?????????? and it doesnt matter…. THEIR ANIMALS…. WERE ANIMALS TOO!!!! YOURE A KILLERS!!!!

• Horacio says:

Gracias a Dios que existe gente como PETA y demas agregados que aun tienen sentimientos por los pobres animales que no pueden defenderse God Bless

• EMILIA IONESCU says:

STOP!!!

• Marilyn says:

I am a fan and member of Peta but I won’t be thanking Lufthansa because I am sure they have done this before and just happened to get caught this time. What happened to the animals on this flight? And yes who was shipping them out?

• DALE MARY DEANGELO says:

GOOD JOB PETA KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

• Subhor says:

Thanks Lufthansa…..great job PETA and many thanks to PETA members too who responded against this and made this victory possible.

• Anoja says:

OMG! I can’t belive that so many animals are used for these expirements! The poor animals! And 95 of these animal testing is for beauty products! We NEED to stop this before it is too late!

• Liliana Closa says:

What? Lufthansa? I missed that information but Im glad if it is so its over now many cats and dogs can no longer be transported to be skinned alive but transported maybe to a new home where they will receive lost of love and care! How can we find out their destiny now?Lufthansa? Amazing how the big companies are sometimes involed in these kind of acts! I hope Lufthansa makes it public to give others the good example!Yeeeeaaah! Liliana El Salvador

• jules says:

Germans love animals! It doesn’t surprise me at all. Lufthansa is a very good airline that I have used often. Kudos to the Lufthansa corporation for doing the right thing !

• Birgit Petersen says:

Thank you thank you thank you to PETA and to all that have spoken up for aid to mistreated and abused animals. It really does help to speak our minds. What a relief. Thanks from Nuuk Greenland.

• Vera Aragà says:

tHANKS THANKS THANKS IN NAME OF THOSE INOCENTS AND SO FRIENDLY ANIMALS.

• sandra says:

That is great news!

• Marguerite says:

Excellent Job Lufthansa. Excellent Job Peta. Blessings to all who helped end animal abuse.

• RuiViegas says:

To go where no man has gone before to serve and protect. lol Let’s keep the magic happening

• burke chaplin says:

great to find an airline that cares…thanks for caring

• Joanna says:

Thank you! And please do more for animals.

• patrick says:

Dankechen Lufthansa !! Thank you very much indeed

• adaline zalkin says:

keep up the good work pls encourage others to follow your lead. thank you az md

• shanty says:

AWESOMEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Congrats guys!!!!!

• Mandy says:

Thank you Lufthansa!!! Great job Peta!!!

• Rui Viegas says:

Thank you so much. I once read that humanity as a whole would suffer greatly if there were no animals left on this planet. Maybe that’s what we deserve.

• JAMBOIS says:

Stop aux transports des Animaux en destination des laboratoires !

• Ana says:

Thank you….in the name of love for animals.

• sam says:

where in the US were these dogs shipped from? A shelter? another lab?does anyone know? The “notorious” problem exists here in the US from weak laws permiting shelters to sell dogs to labs abroad. the laws against selling shelter dogscats for experimentation need to be strengthened. The “notorious” lab in Scotland will simply contract to have the animals shipped in a far crueler methodfor ex. by ship? can u imagine how horrendous that would be for the animals?We need to get USDACongress to tighten the laws here in the US.

• Marcia Lima says:

Thank you Peta and Lufthansa. Marcia Rio de janeiro Brazil.

• sarah Macias says:

Thank you so much for making a difference in the life of defendless animals…keep this “ON” and exclude all animals from traveling…wherever …who knows how many more are being sent to such horrible dead or commercial trade …good reason to keep traveling with Lufthansa !! thanks for the great work !!!!!

• Hien Elisabeth says:

One more good reason to travel with “Lufthansa” furthermore!

• Anne Greene says:

Thank you Lufthansa and please extend the ban to include all animals!

• Gina says:

Thank you I was about to sign the action letter read this. I wish there wewre more victories like this for poor lab animals heartbreaking!

• Emily says:

THANK YOU! This is so great! I become so happy when I’m finding out that there are persons who is willing to make a change!

• Melissa says:

Thank you Lufthansa! Great job Peta!!

• Luis says:

No more abuses for those great creatures no more violence against the animals Peace from Mexico