Victory! Elephant Rides Banned

Written by PETA | March 20, 2009
farm2.static / CC
Circus Elephant

After finding out that Renninger’s Farmers and Flea Market in Mount Dora, Florida, was offering rides on a female African elephant named Nosey, we immediately contacted the manager and alerted him to the dangers that elephant rides pose to both elephants and the public. After listening to our concerns and hearing from local citizens, Renninger’s canceled the rides. Yay!

Most people don’t realize that captive elephants are beaten, chained, and denied almost everything that is natural and important to them. This understandably causes aggression and poses a risk to humans—since 1990, rampaging elephants have killed 13 people and injured 120. Just a couple weeks ago, 12 children were injured by an elephant at the Shrine Circus, and in 2004, Nosey herself hit a Liebel Family Circus employee on the back of the head with her trunk, sending him to the hospital. I’m guessing that the parents who let their children take a ride on Nosey had no knowledge of this attack.

To be fair to Nosey—and all captive elephants—it’s pretty clear what they’re so mad about. After Nosey’s outburst in 2004, the injured man described an incident in which a trainer “used the bullhook handle, turned off the lights in the performance ring, and beat the elephant.” The trainer also encouraged others to take part in the abuse by striking her with objects such as a sledgehammer and shovel handles. When the USDA investigated the facility, they found that the Liebel Family Circus was not providing the animals in its care with adequate food, shelter, or veterinary care.

Written by Liz Graffeo

Comments

• Bellefin says:

I went to Cirque du Soleil and it was wonderful. We don’t need animals in circuses!!!! It needs to be history.

• sara says:

Alas another victory for peta and the elephants Nosey!

• Wendy says:

I would be a VERY VERY happy person if in my lifetime I would see a permanent end to the abuse of elephants in the circus or any where. As a child I wondered why no one saw this abuse or cared. As an adult I know people do care but it has to end NOW! I have always disliked the circus and zoo’s starting from the abuse I did see a a child! This doesn’t go away for me and has stayed with me my entire life. End this insane suffering for all elephants!

• Haley says:

Free the elephants.

• luvsp says:

“Don’t you agree that it’s time to put a permanent end to the abuse of elephants in circuses?” …i couldn’t agree more. but how?

• kerri says:

This is horrible and I hate that this is happening.

• Lindsey says:

Thank goodness. I bet that Nosey is thankful to you peta just like we all are.

• vanessa jimenez says:

i stopped taking my 13 yr old to circuses zoos and the like at about age 3 and i have never taken my 8yr old. wild animals should not be so accessible to usperhaps we would respect them more then. wild animals should be appreciate being themselves living in their own habitatif you can’t see a lion then well maybe it wasn’t meant to be. stupid people only appreciate animals when they are force to behave like humansbut they are not really appreciated but abused for $$$ i do not want to see elephants in tutu’s and i do not want to see a tiger ride a bikeits appauling

• jerod douthit says:

I Think that this should stop once to the elephant that are being handle this way.

• KAREN DUTCHER says:

I am glad to see someone is watching and realizing what this is about in the first place. These poor elephants are not on this planet for our entertainment or prosperity. People need to recognize that the elephants have a mind of their own and just as anyone one of us would not enjoy being pushed around and abused will eventually fight back! I don’t blame the elephant this is just another way those who like to inflict harm on “others” can act out their sick behavior without consequences. This is disgusting.