Brookstone Stops Selling Frog-O-Spheres

Written by PETA | January 25, 2011

After 18 months of protests, thousands of calls and e-mails, and appearances outside Brookstone stores by our giant “frog,” Brookstone has finally decided to pull a cruel product called the “Frog-O-Sphere” from its shelves!

PETA started campaigning against the tiny plastic frog prisons after receiving complaints from Brookstone customers and after a whistleblower reported that frogs and snails housed in the tiny 4-inch-by-4-inch plastic boxes were neglected, deprived of veterinary care and adequate food, and kept in filthy water. The whistleblower told PETA that when frogs became obviously ill and “unsaleable,” they were moved to the stores’ storage rooms, where they often wasted away and died.

PETA’s undercover investigation of Wild Creations—the company that came up with the idiotic idea of throwing two frogs and some gravel into a container smaller than a shoebox and leaving them there for their entire lives—revealed filthy conditions and deadly neglect. In some cases, frogs were so hungry that that they chewed each other’s legs off.

juhansonin/cc by 2.0

Brookstone joins Magic Beans, Target, and other retailers that have stopped selling these cruel products, but Coach House Gifts is still selling frogs in “EcoAquariums” to make an easy buck. In one shipment to Coach House Gifts, 37 out of 40 frogs died after they were left in a container so long that they suffered from heat prostration. Please take a moment to urge the company to stop selling its deadly EcoAquariums.

Written by Michelle Sherrow

Comments

• manda says:

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of! What kind of dumb morons would come up with or sell something like that? I would like to do the same to them!

• sean says:

I Have boycotted brookstones products since this ordeal first started, and I am glad that this protest has finally taken a victory for these frogs.

• Anne says:

I am just speechless. It’s so unbelievably sickening that people treat animals like inanimate objects. Thank god they finally took them off their shelves.

• Moses S says:

Somebody should shut them in a closet for a few months and make them realize what they are doing to these animals!!!

• Genevieve says:

If you Google the name of the product, you would be surprised with the amounts of people who rave about it. I wonder how the owners of these treat humans and larger animals? It’s 100% cruel entertainment.

• Karen Simpson says:

What an inhumane thing to do to any animal. Any store that sells them should be boycotted.

• KAZIA Dziwosz says:

Cruel and unacceptable. These frogs are not toys. They are living creatures! The sell of these products should be cancelled…cruelty for money…NO!

• Iloveanimals2030 says:

This is sad. I really want a pet frog but if i get one, i’ll be sure it’s kept in a large tank so it has plenty of space to move around. Stuffing frogs in these tiny spheres is just plain sad!

• PETA says:

We have confirmed that Brookstone no longer sells Frog-O-Spheres. We have learned that they are selling another cruel product-the Ecosphere-which confines red shrimp to a small aquarium. Please do not support Brookstone until they stop selling all live animals.

• Laurie Morales says:

Put yourself in a 6ft. by 3ft. space and see how you like it! Why do we feel we have the right to be so cruel to animals in the name of money!

• giovanna says:

stop this cruelty!!!!!!!! Giovanna Italia

• Jessica Tilley says:

This is disgusting..

• Kristin D says:

I’m always sickened when I walk into a specific “Kirlins Hallmark” store who sell’s these “frog-o-sphere’s.” We are all living creatures, that were placed on this Earth for a reason, not to be tortured for another living creatures pleasure. It is sad to think that there are human beings in this world who find amusment in abuse at an animals expense.

• Maggie Jaye says:

Please stop this inhumane keeping and sale of these living frogs, when proper care cannot be given regularly to them. A store like Brookstone is no place for these creature. Please rethink your purpose and the impact it has on these innocents. Thank you very much.

• Pamela says:

I can’t believe how cruel and unfeeling some people can be for the sake of a quick buck. Very heavy fines and long jail terms just might bring them back to some understaning of what is right and what is obviously wrong.

• Nancy says:

I am haunted by these poor frogs trapped, starving and living in their own waste. I applaud PETA, I am so thankful to PETA for caring and being able to do something about it! Two other stores that I know are selling them are SUNSATIONS in Ocean City MD and CHILD’S PLAY in Washington DC. We should all scream and complain loudly for everyone to hear every time we see this.

• Tracy says:

STOP THIS CRUELTY – animals deserve more respect than this. Why are you doing this – for money – please, this is discusting and cruel. Please step up to the plate, like Brookstone finally did, and stop this insanity.

• Gina says:

I will never buy from Coach again after reading this. This obviously shows that they care more about making money than life.

• SAMIRA says:

Just stop torturing animals it doesn’t get any simpler than that. Your hurting them killing them letting them starve them to death. What goes around comes around and we all need to be scared of god or whatever has created us.

• Valerie C says:

Frogs are some of the most amazing creatures I have seen! I love them and it hurts me to know that so many are suffering for the sake of a buck.

• Rob says:

Saw these the other day at rolo (a Toronto gift shop) and thought they were fake at first. The poor frogs looked like they were trying to escape. When I questioned the owner he said they were “so fun”. I told him he was not!

• charla says:

I can’t for the life of me, figure out why this country allows animals to be treated like they are. They spend more money on useless crap, but, won’t do whats right and protect our animals.

• Jeannette Halverson says:

I think it is appalling what humans do to other li ving beings(human and animal) Anything for a buck!!! If I ever see anything like it where I shop I will certainly be vocal about it and I refuse to shop or buy products promoted by those who sell thigs of that nature!!!!!!!!! Jeannette Halverson

• Ben Billy Jackson says:

Cruel free entertainment at its best!

• TracyS says:

OMG! I’ve never heard anything like it, how can these companies come up with stupid ideas like this then be allowed to sell these poor animals. And more worrying why would ANYONE buy it? I live in the UK and haven’t seen anything like this in the shops, thank you PETA for helping to eradicate this!

• Tori R says:

absolutely disgusting and cruel, no living creature should live in these conditions, for a profit or none. WHO IS THE MONSTER THAT CAME UP WITH THIS TORTURE CHAMBER?!

• Luce DESENEPART says:

Who can have such stupid idea!!! frogs are sentient animals, they’re natural and don’t deserve an atrocious death for the pleasure of some bloody idiots. Shame! This world is sick and evil, hope the people will awaken one day, but when?

• Chrissy says:

I cant beleive people still argue why lions tigers and other carnivores dont think of other innocent animals or their pain yet we as humans have to…dont you get it those animals in the wild kill its prey just to survive..they kill one out of thousands and thats it …they dont hurt each other for entertainment or fun.

But look at us HUMANS… we kill animals in slaughterhouses in large numbers more than needed and throw away meat,we kill them with extreme pain,And it doesnt Stop there we skin them alive for their fur..we abuse them for fun,we cage them for our joy,we even use them for unimaginable purposes :(..whats wrong with us humans… Let animals live freely.

Yes in the past people did wear fur clothing but now we are more developed..have brains we know they feel pain yet we dont want to beleive it…we have alternatives…we can live a vegan lifestyle, we can substitute fur, stop bloodsports…we have more options to substitute animals unlike the past…

So its time to change

• Rita Henderson says:

Yes, the ones with the authority to abuse any living creature should have to endure and go through the same cruelty that they do to our innocent creatures. Mans progress on earth is known by the way we treat animals and all living creatures. Thank goodness for PETA and the Humane Society and for all of the people that have a heart. Humans rule over all living things and it is shameful to know what some people will do to all of natures gifts to man.Those who do such evil “Shame on You!!!”

• BLBradbury says:

It has ceased to amaze me how far people will go to make a buck at the expense of another creature and there are very little if not laws in effect much less enforced to protect the welfare of these creatures. One day these humans will reap what they sow, and justice will be served, Mark my words.

• Marian & Ron Glass says:

When will people realize; what GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND. I don’t care what it is we are all on this planet to survive. Smarten up!!!

• Jennifer Martin says:

Do we call ourselves HUMAN BEINGS or MONSTERS. Why cannot we allow helpless living creatures live their lifes without bing tortured -and all this for a quick buck Why dont we make a difference to this world rather than destroy everything in it.

• tricketts says:

Last year Wild Creations came to my employer for a loan. Fortunately, I was able to decline the request. Horrible business!

• SFRoyal says:

@Sue R – chicks being ground up??? what’s that about???

• Elba Armstrong says:

Stop the animal cruelty!

• Greta Eurell says:

Disgusting

• scuba42 says:

What about ABC for promoting this thing last Christmas as a great gift for 9 and up? They need to be accountable for their part in this as well.

• Charlotte Flaherty says:

This is the 21st century, I thougth we where making progress not regressing in how we are raising our children in this nation??? teaching them that its ok to torture and confine innocent animals? This is so wrong!!! Frogs should be enjoyed in their NATURAL habitat! This cruelty has to be stopped, keep educating people, and letting the world know what is happening is where it needs to start. Compassion for ALL living creatures! Im so sick of Animalcruelty & Abuse! Wake Up People! Think about “Karma” its alive & Well!

• 379bella says:

These are also being sold at the typical beach stores, such as Sunsations in Delaware and Maryland. Last summer I brought a very sick looking frog to the attention of a store employee and they set right back on the shelf and walked away. They also sell lizards that often die and sit on the shelves with no water for weeks. I boycott these stores!!!!!! and I hope others do too. Don’t buy these frogs, lizards and horseshoe crabs! They will eventually stop selling them if no one buys them.

• GABRIELLE HERMAN says:

Unbelievably heartless and cruel. Shame on you!

• Kim says:

Finally! Frog-o-Spheres are terrible! The frogs belong in their natural habitat. Whoever thought up the idea obviously needs therapy. (No offense to those in therapy). I’m just glad some it has finally come to an end. :)

• Leonie Barnes says:

Please don’t put frogs and snails and other wildlife in small containers for profit. they have a right to live freely and without the confines of a small space just for decoration. that is very cruel. please stop selling and using these containers. this is sooo heartbreaking and wrong.

• Wendy B. says:

I was tempted to get one of these until I found out that the frogs are shipped to you and a lot end up dead. I wish people would just leave wildlife in the wild and stop making “pets” out of animals that don’t belong in our homes.

• Bellarea says:

>=( There had to many many people involved in creating this horrid idea. How could NO ONE have said this isn’t going to work, and even let such a thing come into exsistance. Thanks to all who have lifted thier voices to save these frogs!

• Alok Misra says:

Putting animals to confinement is really sad.Nobody would appreciate a confinement even if it is made out of gold. Let the poor creatures live the way nature has devised for them.

• Nilton Tavone says:

Pure stupidity. Really amazing what people do for money. More amazing is that it’s legal. People who treat living creatures as cruel, senseless and irresponsibly as in this case will do anything for easy money. Companies and peolpe who support this type a thing are showing us what their true values, or lack of them, really are. Thank you all at PETA for your work and efforts! Sincerely, Nilton Tavone São Paulo, Brazil

• Kim says:

OH…MY…GOSH!  I have an EcoQuarium from Wild Creations and two of these African Dwarf Frogs.  Oh my gosh, I can’t believe it!!!  I DID NOT purchase these frogs, I actually won them from an on-line giveaway about 6-months ago.  I absolutely love my two frogs, Captain & Tenille.  I take VERY GOOD care of them and feed them up to 3 times a day.  These frogs are surface feeders and once their food sinks into the gravel, they will NOT eat so I have to feed them more often.  I love my Captain & Tenille very much and spoil them rotten.  I change their water every other day so they NEVER have yucky water.  And I only place them in Dasani water, NOT ‘TAP’ water.

So now that this has all come to light, what should I do?  Should I let them go into nature and if so…where?  I don’t want Captain & Tenille to suffer, please help me out & let me know what the best solution is for my African Dwarf Frogs?  Thank you VERY much for your time, I truly appreciate it!

I look forward to reading everyone’s responses.

All my best,

Kim(berly)

• Liz Cook says:

Products like these have no redeaming value, instead promote false understandings and lack of respect for animals and for nothing other than a buck.

• Shari M says:

Do NOT patronize any stores that sell products which are cruel to animals. That’s the only way to get through to them – hit ‘em where it hurts (in their pocketbooks)

• jimmy dick says: