It’s Vegan Month of Food!
I confess: The only thing that keeps me sticking to a healthy diet all summer long is my annual countdown to October 31—a night centered around ghosts, goblins, and, most importantly, candy. October 31 marks the start of a full-on avalanche of holiday food that doesn’t end until January 2.
2 Tbsp. oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped white onion
1 lb. defrosted veggie burger crumbles (optional)
Red pepper flakes, to taste
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1 bay leaf
28-oz. can diced Mexican-style tomatoes
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
6 oz. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
16-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
28-oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Vegan cheese (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the veggie burger crumbles (if using them), red pepper flakes, chili powder, and cumin and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the oregano, bay leaf, tomatoes, soy sauce, stock, tomato paste, and vinegar, then bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and simmer 15 minutes longer to heat through and blend flavors.
- Add more water, if necessary, or cook longer to reach desired consistency.
- Top with shredded soy cheese, if desired, and serve.
Written by Liz Graffeo
P.S.: If you’re not already vegan, this is the perfect time to take our 30-Day Pledge to be Veg. And if you are vegan, please share your favorite fall recipes below.