Urban Decay Grabs PETA Award

Written by Michelle Kretzer | July 9, 2012

Hip cosmetics company Urban Decay has earned PETA’s Courage in Commerce Award for putting animals ahead of market share and reversing its decision to sell in China, where animals are harmed and killed in product tests. The company’s decision followed talks with PETA and thousands of e-mails from disappointed consumers. While many companies have shed their cruelty-free policies as easily as last year’s fashion for a share of the profits from China, Urban Decay officials have decided that the cost was too high. They’re corporate champs in our book, and the company is going back on PETA’s cruelty-free list

picto:graphic|cc by 2.0

Change is afoot in China, too. PETA is financially supporting scientists from the Institute for In Vitro Sciences, who are working with the Chinese government to replace cruel and archaic animal tests with superior non-animal methods, and already, we are seeing huge progress. Until the day when product tests on animals are a thing of the past, we hope other companies eyeing the Chinese and other markets where cruel tests are required will follow Urban Decay’s example and put ethics first.

Comments

• chander kumar soni says:

thanks peta.

• Elizabeth says:

This is such good news. Thank you, Urban Decay, for making a good decision.

• katie straka says:

Thank you Urban Decay for doing the right thing!!!! Score one for the animals!! :)

• cassie says:

Well done Urban Decay! you have won yourself a life customer!

• Christie Grimm says:

I am so happy to see a company doing the right thing and it’s soooooo encouraging that China’s government is willing to make some positive changes for the well being of the cosmetics industries test animals. By doing this countless animals will be spared a life of pain, misery, and death! Thank you Urban Decay! Thank you PETA! And thanks to everyone who speaks up for animals! We can make difference!!!!!!!!

• Terri says:

Thank you, Urban Decay, for deciding to be cruelty free. Please continue this.

• Natalie says:

Thank you for actually listening and rethinking a decision that would have labeled you as an animal abuser.

• lynn tripp says:

they considered it because they were debating on whether or not to sell to L’Oreal

• Paula Santos says:

Animals have feelings and rights too! Please help!

• vincenzo says:

Urban Decay,this is right. Tanks for the animals Vincenzo Italia

• Nil SARAN says:

bravo!!!! thank you,Urban Decay!!!

• Margaret Briggs says:

Urban Decay isn’t the only company to pull out of the Chinese market because of the testing issue. Paula Begoun (of Cosmetics Cop fame) took the same step recently. Check out her website. Excellent products at reasonable prices. There are good business people who also have a strong ethical sense.

• chander kumar soni says:

so cute

• priscilla shaw-phillips says:

Well done Urban Decay! Faith is restored. Thank you.

• roxanne says:

awesome, so happy

• Joanna Dunne says:

Why did Urban Decay even consider it in the first place if they are as against animal testing as much as they say they are.They should have said no right from the start. It looks like they were just going to go ahead without a second thought to animals and their customers; the only reason they didn’t is because so many people complained. However, to their credit they have listened to their customers and realised the importance of not making and selling cosmetics tested on animals just to suit the Chinese market unlike some other companies that have turned their back on animals for profit.

• alicia says:

THANK YOU Urban Decay for your decision!!!

• Elizabeth Lanson says:

GOOD FOR YOU, DOING THE RIGHT THING FOR THE RIGHT REASON. YOU PUT ANIMALS WELFARE BEFORE THE ALMIGHTY BUCK & BECAUSE OF THAT I WILL CONTINUE TO BUY YOUR PRODUCTS & URGE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME. HAD YOU NOT DROPPED THE DEAL WITH CHINA, I WAS GOING TO BOYCOTT YOUR MAKEUP & SPREAD THE WORD. I’M SO GLAD YOU DID THE RIGHT THING. YOUR COMPANY ROCKS!

• betty haase says:

Thank you Urban Decay for your kindness & compassion.. I support non animal testing products 100%..even tho it may cost a little more in money.. the loss of a few dollars in my pocket is worth it for animals not to have to suffer so i can have cheap makeup..or cheap cleaning products..etc…. Thank you so very very much!!

• Ann Nevans says:

Thank you and congratulations to Urban Decay ! I bet you will be rewarded for your compassion by gaining enlightened consumers. I hope that we will shortly see the day when all animal tests are a thing of the past. They are so innocent and deserve so much better from us.

• Barb Falls says:

Human beings are so so cruel and I can`t understand why we let this to go on. I am fed up with any kind of cruelty toward animals. We are not living in the cave man days. Have comppasion people. Leave animals to live in peace and happiness.

• nancyc says:

Thank-you, Thank-you Urban Decay!! Let’s hope this gives a message to all involved: Life before Greed.

• leb says:

When we have victories like this, we need a preformed thank u letter we can all sign, just like when we sign a form to request companies to stop their bad habbits. It’s like positive reinforcment to the company otherwise they might second gess their decission.

• Techmonster says:

Thank you greatly, Urban decay, for having the integrity and decency to place animal safety ahead of the almighty buck. That is indeed an inexcusably monstrous rarity any more. You stand as a corporate lighthouse beacon for all other avarice-driven companies to observe. Thank you as well, PETA, for your steadfast and unflinching fight to protect living creatures.

• Jade Simpson says:

I am so happy to hear, I was just wondering today how are we going to stop all animal testing in the world…

• Helen says:

Well done Urban Decay. You are back on my shopping list. Very happy customer!

• Sharon B says:

Great news !Let’s wait for a Revlon response now.

• Elsje Massyn says:

I love these people already – I hope we will find their products in South Africa. Would like to support them.

• Anita says:

WTG Urban Decay. I started using your products because they were animal friendly and fell in love with them. I’m so glad you canceled the China expansion plan. I would have hated to boycott your products.

• LindsayK says:

What awesome news! So glad Urban Decay decided to do the responsible and humane thing. Rad. AND Thanks PETA for yet another animal victory. xo!

• cleia says:

Urban Decay are now # 1 in my list!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Tj says:

BIG WELL DONE to urban decay for setting such a good example and not crumbling under the pressure or to greed! I hope other companies follow suit and see that the majority if consumers are against cruelty to animals! In the long run they will benefit over these other companies that continue to use this disgusting method to test their products. It’s beyond me why anyone would want to put anything on their skin that needs to be tested on animals first!!!! Just imagine what kind of chemicals must be in them!!! Additives/preservatives/ toxins/chemicals in our food, pharmaceuticals, make-up etc…….it’s a no wonder we are all getting sicker!

• S&C says:

congrats to urban decay! they have wonderful products, which i have NOT bought since told they were testing, so im happy i can put their products back on my buy list!! i hope other companies such as avon and este lauder will follow in UD’s footsteps and realize more and more consumers are becoming aware that animal testing is NOT necessary and there are wonderful cruelty free products out there!

• Liz says:

I hope other companies follow Urban Decays ethics and policies. They have shown they are an honest and decent company. Well done them, it would be nice if others took an example from this.

• GigglingPixie says:

!!YIPPEE!! So glad that Urban Decay decided against this…I was gonna throw ALL of my Urban Decay cosmetics in the garbage! Now I get to keep them & keep buying their great products! Thank you Urban Decay : )

• Bmarie says:

Hi to “J in Mind” and others. Just a caution that store clerks at Sephora (and most other retailers) do NOT necessarily know what’s cruelty-free and what’s not. They often don’t even know what cruelty-free really means, or simply get it wrong (I’ve often been told that that virtually every product created now is cruelty-free). You still need to do your own homework!

• Rene says:

I was excited to buy UD as they were on PETAs list, then the news of china came and I abandoned buying anything from them. Now I can! Im so excited to try their products and will now buy their products in thanks for telling China to go jump in a lake…thank u UD!!!!!!!!

• Amy V. says:

I have to agree with Keith about the future of this planet. People distroy the wonderful gifts we are given. I’m happy to hear that Urban Decay is risking their business to do the right thing. We should support them in a big way. Their products are outstanding, by the way.

• Michelle says:

Thank you Urban Decay for seeing that what your company stands for is more important than a few dollars when it comes to animal testing. I am quite impressed with your decision.

• Jocelyne F. says:

Thank you for animals and specially for rabbits …

• Abby says:

I am so happy to read this!!! I love Urban Decay but was planning to boycott their products if the company sold in China. I’m glad they made the right decision. This is great news – kudos to UD!!!

• Dorothy says:

Thanks Urban Decay. Now I can buy your products again!

• J in md says:

You’ll find Urban Decay at Sephora. They carry a number of cruelty free products. I was just there and the salesperson gave me the names of all the cruelty free they carry.

• Uliana says:

Well, as far as I know not only Chine has a low to test on animals. What about Russia and Ukraine?

• Denise says:

Sad that they even considered this though.

• Renata says:

I’m really happy to read this!Let’s wait for a Revlon response now.

• Francoise Dupen says:

Congrtulations Urban Decay. A company with ethics and compassion. You are starts!!

• keith says:

Good for them then ! on another sad note anybody seen the kitten buried in concrete by some religious sect as a warning to another lapsed member its in all the UK papers especially the Daily Mail., what hope is there and people have the cheek to say ” behaved like animals ” I don’t think so we are the souless ones the species that rapes the earth and plunders sentient creatures. Boy am I glad I’m on the way out and not on the way In, can you imagine it all with the worlds population esculating all the time .. nothing will be left. Sorry for any spelling errors I’m really fed up, miserable, and in a state of high emotion., right now folks.

• Febe says:

Thank you I am glad there are good people in this world! Thank you PETA and Urban Decay

• BB in CA says:

Thank you PETA and URBAN DECAY. I’ll look for your products next time I’m at Macy’s.