Ultimate Fighting Champ Sticks Up For Animals in New PETA Ad

Written by PETA | January 2, 2008

Ultimate Fighting champion Mac Danzig, best known as the winner of Spike TV’s Ultimate Fighter 6, devours fighters not flesh. At 155 pounds of pure fighting fury, Danzig is tough enough in the ring, but when it comes to animal abuse, the 27-year-old Danzig—who is vegan—takes no prisoners.

Back before joining in the UFC, Mac did a Q&A with PETA. Now that he’s a household name, Mac’s back and we’re pleased to announce that he’s starring in two hard-hitting public service announcements for peta2’s veggie testimonial series (view some others in the series here, here, and here).

In the print version of the ad (click the thumbnail to see a full-size version) we see Mac with gloved fists raised and standing next to the tagline “I Am a Fighter in the Best Shape of My Life. I Am Mac Danzig, and I Am a Vegetarian.” I hope all you guys who think you need to eat meat to be a “real man” are you catching this.

If you’re still not convinced that vegans can be tough as nails watch Mac’s video below.

So why is a vegan diet the diet of champions? Consumption of meat and other animal products has been conclusively linked to heart disease, strokes, diabetes, and obesity. Meat production is also a leading cause of greenhouse gas emissions, water pollution, and land degradation. And, of course, the best way to fight the cruelty of factory farms and slaughterhouses is to kick the meat habit.

Order a free Vegetarian Starter Kit today so you too can be an Ultimate Fighting champion. Or at least a healthy and compassionate individual.

Comments

• www.peta.org says:

Ultimate fighting champ sticks up for animals in new peta ad.. Slap-up :)

• indycar01 says:

to the person that said its easier to be vegetarian than vegan not true! just get soymilk like someone is going to prevent you from getting a carton of nondary soymilk? you can also get almondmilk ive seen it only at kroger its GREAT! on cereal milk is for baby cows pcrm.org the arteries become as hard and brittle as the stem of a clay pipe. they are so full of calcium they are more like rocks than blood vessels. cutting them with a scissor at autopsy makes a distinct crunching sound. this blockage also occurs in the arteries to the brain. when they close off part of the brain dies a stroke.

• SoNIa says:

I think my boyfriend is HOT and he knocked out Mac Danzig..but it’s awesome that Mac is VEGAN and a PETA lover. thanks Mac

• none at all says:

If he is a VEGAN why have they called him a VEGETARIAN? Is being vegan not cool enough? If I was Mac and a vegan I would be pretty upset to discover I had been relabeled a vegetarian.

• Michele says:

Gh0sT Mac and his opponents are willingly participating in these events. Animals used for food animal testing clothing and entertainment do not have any choice.

• Gh0sT says:

Mac may be a wellrounded fighter and compassionate to animals. But how he treats his fellow man is an entirely different story. Anyone watching last season of “The Ultimate Fighter” can’t argue this fact. The irony is not lost on me.

• HQ says:

What is the deal with all the PSAs that PETA makes? do they ever show them anywhere besides the peta websites? I have never seen any. it does not make much sense to have the PSAs if only peta members are watching them it is like preaching to the choir.

• KATERS says:

HE TOTALLY IS THE MAN MY DREAMS ARE MADE OF….JARED LETO? DO NOT WORRYI’LL STILL VOTE YOU AS THE SEXIEST…PROMISE.

• Dana says:

Bubbafat might I ask what your point is? I can not find one post where anyone is talking about Mac Having a UFC championship belt….as for explaining what the ultimate fighter is I think if you read any past post you will find out we already know….me and my husband have watched this show from its start. So the UFC is not new to me at all….the only thing new is this year I actually got a vegan to pull for….

• Peta Lover[not real name] says:

i’am glad there not leather gloves so r they pleather?

• bubbafat says:

I hate to break up the vegan vegetarian debatebut I feel it necessary to point out that Mac Danzig is not an U.F.C. Champion. He is the winner of the show known as”The Ultimate Fighter.” A series where a group of 16 fighters lives and trains at a UFC owned house and training facility for 6 weeks competing for a contract. Mac Danzig won that competition the contract sponsorships and a plaque for being”The Ultimate Fighter”. Not a championship belt. He is the former 155 lb champion in the King Of The Cage promotion two different entities.

• Dana says:

Phillp trust me I see your point…but it just is not logical to try to push people into Vegan right off the bat…most of us were raised to eat meat and dairy with no knowledge that we were contributing to any wrong doing whatsoever it was after all just the American Way If anyone looks at this ad campaign and researches Macs convictions they will find that he is a vegan but you have to get them interested enough to reach that point…this is a campaign to stop animal suffering and if using vegetarian rather than vegan draws attention so be it. The reality is you are right the dairy industry includes much suffering no question about it but when you are trying to get people to change into a lifestyle of consuming no animal products you can not push Vegan first for there are many people out there that will not sacrifice of this at one time just to help end animal suffering. The harsh reality of this country is we are a country that revolves around food.. Meat and dairy ads are pushed in your face at every turn….There are some people that will go vegan right of the bat…but I promise you there are many more that have to go in stages. If people feel forced into something or feel that they have to give up everything they have lived with for no telling how many years they will be more apt to tell you thanks but no thanks. Americans are creatures of habit Vegetarian is extreme to most of the population and until you make the first step toward that lifestyle only then do you see that Vegan does not mean you are part of some fanatical cult….a lot of people the ones that know what the word vegan means still think that vegan means you are some sort of freak of nature….we all know this is not true but peta is not campaigning to us to drop meat and dairy for we are already there.

• elphaba says:

Unfortunately not everyone knows what vegan means. I agree Mike that it’s a word in common usage but most people still ask me what it means. Everyone knows vegetarian though so it really is the best choice.

• Philip says:

This is in response to the comment above made referring to my comment made earlier. The point is is if PETA wants tp praise Mac for being tough and being a vegan for the animals the least PETA can do in regard to Mac is use the word VEGAN. All PETA is doing is is wimping out not standing up for what they believe in and what Mac believes in. Anyone that knows about the dairy industry including PETA knows point blank.. that there is much more suffering and animal abuse in a glass of milk than in a piece of meat. In response to the comment below by Iz7274 “but I think that Peta has the right idea with you have to start somewhere..” Well if your starting…. because you want to end the suffering for animals you start by going VEGAN! My other point is that if the UFC is using the term vegan… than PETA can surely use it. Mac is a proud vegan and PETA should honor him in that exact way!!!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Casey Thanks for the links but they should be… veganbodybuilding.com and veganmusclepower.com.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Philip you’re right. By now everyone should know what the word vegan means. From a linguistics standpoint I still like the word vegetarian better though but certainly veganism is the way to go for the animals. One of the guys where I work he’s in enforcement is a nastylooking musclebound shavedheaded SOB and he’s a vegan. We’ve had some great convos.

• Steven Keenan says:

really…..Texas representin?!

• Dana says:

Nope not leather gloves many interviews that Mac has done he states that he has a great place to buy non leather gloves….good try though!

• Casey C says:

More VeganBuilding.com VeganMusclerPower.com Health veganhealth.org Registered Dietician Activism veganhealth.orgcolleges leaflet!!!

• Peta Lover[not real name] says:

r those leather gloves?

• maihiti anu says:

I am a big guy with huge arms and i have more energy then anyone 10 years younger than me. I have been a vegetarian for a year and a half. I skim board lift weights and dance hard at the clubs. I love it when i see other guys who feel the same way i do.

• L Holly says:

I too watch UFC with my husband and I was pleasantly shocked when i heard Mac say that he was a vegan and stands up for animal rights! I even jumped in the air when I heard him say it! I think even my husband was surprised! We watched his match and he won! Absolutely amazing that is a display of true strength for a man to stand for something labeled “untough” in a toughguy world

• Dana says:

Phillp..I see your point completely and yes Mac is a vegan…but just in my opinion if they are using Mac to market meat free living it is much easier to push going vegetarian than it is vegan! Going vegan will hopefully be the next step people look into after stepping into a meat free lifestyle. A lot of people share your opinion though and think that Peta should push going vegan harder than vegetarianism….but I think that Peta has the right idea with you have to start somewhere and you do not want to overwhelm people too quickly or they will drop it all together. The reality is it takes more dedication and will power to go vegan you have to be a point you are ready or you will become overwhelmed and dump it for what comes more conveniently MEAT!

• lz7274 says:

when God created man he wanted someone who cares about animals the environment and himself..Mac proves men can be that!!!!

• Philip says:

Hey PETA… if MAC is brave enough to get in a cage in front of MILLIONS face to face fist to fist and fight another consenting human being and brave enough to use the word vegan over and over on his show and in his interviews as well. I think you need to appologize to him about what a cowardly move it is on your part to wimp out and use the word vegetarian instead of vegan!!! Even the UFC uses the word vegan in all of it’s hype on Mac. If you want people to respect your organization and what you stand for…show some integrity and honesty here. Mr Danzig is a VEGAN!!! MAC is an intelligent strong animal loving and very skilled athlete who is also a great role model for the new face of veganism. PETA needs to be as well. PETA needs to show some guts and some better fighting skills here. PETA!! You’ve been choked out by your opponent in the first round here and your opponent is YOU…again!!!!

• Christal says:

I was thrilled to see Danzing in the UFC. My husband and I watch the fights together and it made me proud to see him speak his mind to the other fighters and respect his own beliefs despite pressure. Working toward veganism myself this is motivation. Thanks!

• STEVE KEENAN says:

I THINK U MAC CAN TOUCH ALOT OF PEOPLE SPEAKING FROM A VEAGAN…AS SOON AS ULTIMATE FIGHTER STARTER AN U SAID U WERE A VEGAN I PICK U FROM THE BEGINNING JUST CUZ U WERE A VEGAN AN ALL MY CUZZINS LAUGH AT ME THANK U FOR STANDING UP FOR WHAT U BELIEVE IN AN KICKING SOME ASS…U HAVE A FOLLOWER THREW UR FIGHTING CAREER TAKE CARE BE STRONG EAT HEALTHY AN LIVE LONG…FROM THE KEENANS IN TEXAS REPRESENT

• Dana says:

These are also the type of ad’s that work with the younger people…..I hope you will encourage Mac to do more Peta related campaigns in the future.

• J says:

This man proves that you can be a vegan and still get enough protein. Check out those muscles! So NO MORE excuses people!

• Natalia says:

I am a HUGE fan of the UFC. I think it’s so wonderful that more and more people are speaking up for animals. This is proof that one by one we can make a difference! Way to go Mac! Thank you! Natalia Ridgefield NJ

• Jaclyn says:

YES!!! He is hot!!! o

• Michele says:

Where can I get my hands on one of these posters for my work cubicle?????

• Steven says:

He’s HOT

• Canaduck says:

You aren’t kidding Anahe is quite the hottie.

• V. Soto says:

Well said Ana!

• Dana says:

Way to go Mac He is by far my favorite athlete I hope he does will in the UFC can not wait to see more of him………

• stoptorture says:

This is great news. It would be nice to see a “how I do it” from him so people starting into veganism or kids’ parents or nay sayers could see what he eats and how he works it.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Great ad! Mac is an amazing role model and leaderbyexample. Guts and compassionwhat a combo.

• John Carmody says:

This guy is so sexy and looks so strong! I am sure he’ll definitly turn heads he’s just turned mine!

• Sarah says:

Wow! After reading all the comments about nokill shelters this is a positive male advert for stopping animal cruelty come on ladies show this to your man or anyone elses for that matter….

• Ana says:

A vegan who is handsome a winner strong and fights for animals. Whew what a great set of attributeshis eyes are beautiful too! Now that’s vegan power!

• Sarah says:

Sorry Joel I think Mac Danzig has now become the man of my dreams. Don’t be upset you still have Kristen Bell. Maybe the 4 of us could double date sometime!

• Carla says:

Mac Danzig is a sexy man!! And no it’s not just because he’s vegan it’s because he’s vegan has a hard bod and he’s not shy in speaking up for animals!