The U.K.’s Increase in Animal Tests Makes the News

Written by PETA | July 24, 2009
marketplace.publicradio / CC
animal testing

A few days ago, I wrote about how animal testing in the U.K. is on the rise. It struck a chord with a lot of PETA Files readers, who were outraged that animals continue to be killed in cruel experiments, despite the availability of more effective, non-animal methods. The very first person to comment on the blog was Carla*, who said:

Yes, most chemicals put into a living, breathing body will kill you or leave you very, very ill. I’m sick and tired of hearing about these toxicity tests—sooo yesterday—and they continue to reap in funds so they can continue to torture and [maim] their victims. Cosmetics too—it’s all BS!! [Vivisectionists] are just plain sadistic beings without a soul!!

The rest of you echoed her response.

Because this is an issue that resonates with so many people, I thought you might enjoy reading this article in the U.K.’s Guardian, written by human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell. Tatchell attacks the recent Home Office report head-on and calls on the U.K. government to work diligently to rid the nation of crude animal experiments. The entire article is available after the jump.

Written by Shawna Flavell

Comments

• LOUISE SCOTT says:

STOP THE CRUELTY NOW !!

• aidan says:

once again this government shows out of touch it is with the feeling of common compassion.I also worry about the type of people who do these tests on animals.

• Matt Greenwood says:

This is so sad! It makes me so ashamed of being British!

• Carla* says:

Quick note also the European Center for the Validation of Alternative Methods ECVAM validated Episkin a full replacement for testing on animals. This can be used for the entire scientific community not just for cosmetic also chemical pharmaceutical and consumer products. There’s definitely alternatives out there but most refuse and so the torture continues.

• Derek, MD says:

Manuel You know nothing about the FDA animal testing or medicine otherwise you would not have made that statement. Rather than launch into a longwinded diatribe I will offer a one word explanation that describes the dynamic you so blindly support MONEY

• Carla says:

Manuel.. your kidding me .. What is wrong with animal testing? Are you that ignorant? Jesus animals were not put here to benefit the human race!!! Get off the Peta board if you don’t get it!!!!

• manuel says:

i dont get what the problem is with animal testing with out that step the fda would never accept human trials and for all those people that have spoken against it should be people that have never taken any form of medication other then that not aproved by the fda

• david says:

OMG … look at that pic… holy hell… damn pharmaceutical and poison companies. Let sinject poison that we KNOW will always cause pain into your eyes and see how it feels.

• Brien Comerford says:

The Guardian is a very animal friendly UK newspaper. On other issues I prefer The London Times.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

The article states the reasons I am a volunteer testing a new diabetes drug. Instead of it being further tested on animals I am sure the preliminary trials were done on some unfortunate creature I inject it into my thigh every night and record any reactions in a diary once a week I talk to the researchers either over the phone or in the office. The point is I was able to choose to do this I was not captured in the Jungle of Santa Ana California and locked in a cage.

• Aneliese says:

Well written Peter Tatchell. I have a great admirationa and respect for your views on animal testing.