Turtle Troubles

Written by PETA | April 16, 2007

Have you seen the stories about the child who died from salmonella he got from a pet turtle? It’s so sad, and is yet another reminder of the dangers of keeping turtles in captivity. According to the FDA, there are more than 74,000 cases like this per year, so clearly more people need to hear about it.

And while it’s awful that people get sick and all, let’s not forget that keeping turtles in aquariums or cages is certainly no fun for them either. Far from it. The best solution for everyone involved is to simply leave the turtles alone and let them live where they belong, in the wild.

turtles.jpg

So the next time you see someone selling little turtles in a souvenir shop or in a bodega in NYC (they are super popular in Chinatown), speak up. And remember that it’s actually illegal to sell turtles with shells less than 4” long, so if you spot that, report the place to the authorities.

Comments

• Maya says:

Thank you so much Caroline for your kind wishes. I’m very worried about my little gray buddy too but my next door neighbor swears she sees him around. I will keep up my blog and please feel free to email me any time! keryfelinezen.com Thanks again

• Caroline says:

Maya Ive checked out your blogs. Im kindaa concerned for Gray Stray .I hope he gets a good life. My love to Earl Hugo and Squakers. Caroline

• Allison says:

I’ve deff. rescued animals esp. turtles hit and left to die in the middle of the road…but I never ever believed in keeping them as pets!!! It’s truly cruelty.

• K says:

Aw the baby turtle! Yikes.. please do not keep “pet” turtles and when you see a turtle in captivity speak up! If I travel for vacation this summer I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out!

• Maya says:

I so agree there should be a ban on selling these animals and many other reptiles and sea creatures etc who are treated as bad or worse than concentration camp vicims. Caroline click on my name and you can see my 3 blogs I’m hoping to start a campaign on Dwelling Melville for such things. I would love to begin a nationwide campaign to limit the sale of any nonfarm or domestic animal. or a boycott of pet stores etc. I think the time is now to end this unthinkable practice.

• Caroline says:

Turtles like all other beautiful creatures should not be trapped in cages. It deserves its freedom. The government should ban from any selling of these amazing specimens. If the wild is their home then thats where they should be.Its safer for humans too. Caroline