Top Five Reasons Only Stupid Girls Brag About Eating Meat

Written by PETA | June 16, 2008

jessica-simpson-real-girls-eat-meat.jpgThe photo speaks for itself. OK, OK, I may have doctored it a bit to get the point across, but COME ON! As you can see, Jessica Simpson was recently caught wearing a “Real Girls Eat Meat” T-shirt. Puhleeze!

For a gal who’s best known for her less-than-stellar brains (Chicken of the Sea, anyone?) and her ability to proportionately fill out daisy dukes, I’m gonna go on record saying that if anyone had to wear a ridiculous shirt like this, I’m glad it was Jessica—as people are more likely to follow the opposite of her lead … ya know, since she’s so well respected and all (yes, that was difficult to type without tossing in a hefty LOL). Maybe the meat-eaters of the world will be embarrassed to be categorized in the same field as Jessica Simpson. Ecorazzi has more on the story.

Just for funsies, here are the top five reasons that only stupid girls brag about eating meat:

1. Meat increases the risk of breast cancer. A 2007 study of 35,000 women published in the British Journal of Cancer found that women who ate meat were far more likely to develop breast cancer than women who consumed none. Will Jessica’s next t-shirt will say, “Real Girls Smoke 3 Packs a Day”?2. Real girls don’t support animal abuse. Compassion is super sexy, if the huge number of hot celebs ditching meat is any indication. Young women turn vegetarian in droves when they learn that the meat industry cuts the sensitive beaks off newborn chicks and cuts off the tails of baby piglets.3. The meat industry is destroying the Earth. The only thing that’s hot about the meat industry is that it’s toasting the planet. According to the United Nations, raising animals for food causes more greenhouse-gas emissions than all the cars, trucks, SUVs, planes, and ships in the world combined. 4. Meat will make you fat. All the saturated fat and cholesterol in chicken wings, pork chops, and steak eventually leads to flabby thighs and love handles. I hope the upcoming “Jessica Simpson’s Intimates” line comes in plus sizes! Going vegetarian is the best way to get slim and stay that way. 5. Eating meat steals food from starving kids. Jessica’s trip to help kids in Africa got a lot of media buzz, but by gnawing on meat, she’s essentially stealing food from the mouths of starving children since it takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat. If more people went vegetarian, we’d free up enough grain to feed every person in the world. —ChristinePosted by Christine Dore

Comments

• bob says:

animal rights is a joke we exist in a natural system in which we are at the top of the food chain and BELOW us are the animals we have every right to eat them as it is the way things are supposed to be meat supplies essential nutrients you NEED to live vegeanism is unatural because everything you are eating is man made. many animals are carniverous go try to make them veagans i wont because they are supposed to eat meat just like us so get over yourselves animals are not people they are property they do NOT think they do NOT have feelings we have every right in the world to eat meat

• Juliana says:

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT I STUDY ECONOMICS AND THE STARVATION ISSUE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A LACK OF FOOD SUPPLY. THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH FOOD BEING PRODUCED TO GO AROUND. THE PROBLEM IS WITH DISTRIBUTION NOT WHETHER WE ARE GROIN WHEAT OR MEAT. I MUST SAY I FOUND THE OTHER RESEARCH YOU POSTED INTERESTING HOWEVER ALTHOUGH I DO FIND THERE IS ROOM FOR DISCUSSION.

• eMM says:

So I’m going to stop eating meat because I don’t want to be like jessica simpson who ALSO eats meat? what in the world? Erm.. Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian. Perhaps we should come up with stronger arguments…perhaps.

• KEvan says:

Are you all serious? So pathetic. Personally I am neither fat nor dumb nor condone animal “cruelty” but I do however enjoy a nice juicy steak. Amen Michaela!

• Mike Quinoa says:

To all the posters who know “plenty” “many” or “lots of” vegetarians How do you know all these people? Vegetarians only comprise about 5 of the population of North America unless the numbers have skyrocketed recently. If you’re posting from India or belong to a vegetarian society I could understand. One person indicates they know “many” who are fat another states they know “plenty” who are malnourished. It’s not just hyperbole with a side order of BS is it?

• Alex says:

It is ironic that an article touting Jessica Simpson’s subpar intellectual capabilities actually includes the word “funsies”.

• Maya, CVT says:

I would like to address the meat eaters on this forum I completely agree that PETA can be insulting sometimes. I have posted many pesky remarks criticizing them for that and to their credit they have always posted my comments no matter how harsh. I also want to say I apologize for using the word “fat”. I simply meant overweight as most people will agree overweight means “unhealthy”. Obviously curves are gorgeous on women and big men can be extremely hot as well. I believe that a respectful dialogue is very important. Not to “convert” anyone but because all of us here have the RIGHT to know where meat is made and how the animal is treated. We deserve the truth. Despite any misinformation I agree that the “kids starving in Africa thing is a big stretch PETA is right on in protesting factory farmed animals. As a veterinary nurse I am here to tell you that these animals are raised in horrible ways. 1. They are given vaccines antibiotics and hormones that no human should consume second hand. It’s disgusting. 2. They are abused and mistreated in the most heinous way that a person can imagine. How they die is important but I am MUCH more disturbed by the way these animals are treated during their lifetimes. I won’t go any further I would just ask you to visit this website of a Food Network contestant who is also a butcher and see what he has to say about how cows are treated and see the video on his post. httpwww.offalgood.comsiteblogresourcesthisischeapmeat

• Jane Doe says:

I LOVE MEAT! IT’S SO TRUE REAL GIRLS DO EAT MEAT! HUMANS EAT MEAT!

• Kim says:

meat makes you fat???? so what your saying is the reason that people are fat is because they eat meat? i know many vegetarians with serious health problems because it is so difficult to get all of the nutrients you need. i think that is a really stupid thing to say. not only that but how bored do you have to be to write an article about some womans shirt? its a shirt get over it why do people have to be so sensitive… if it was a man wearing a real men eat meat shirt there wouldn’t be such a big problem. shes talking about eating a steak not clubbing a seal its something humans have been doing for thousands of years. go boycott gladiator if you really want something to do

• Izzy says:

One more thing I’m sick of this argument that “if we were meant to eat meat we’d have incisors like wolves!” That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. Since prehistoric times man hasn’t had to eat the raw meat off an animals using only his teeth. They used tools to cut if off then cooked it over a fire to soften it Which we’ve been doing ever since. Yeah I think that after a few million years of this our incisors would disappear thanks to EVOLUTION. We no longer require them because we don’t rip the raw meat off of animal carcass’.

• Brianna says:

I agree with Jessica. Real girls eat meat.

• Meat Lover says:

“Do you realize that you would better convey your argument if you didn’t reduce it to petty attacks?” Thank you!!! Why is the message always harsh and rude? Does being a vegetarian equal being an ss for the sake of vegetables I hope not.

• wyman calhoun says:

we are meant to eat meat along with grains and vegetables. take a look inside your mouth we have canine teeth the pointy ones these are for tearing meat. there is nothing wrong with eating meat its natural although the method in which some animals are killed can be called into question. hunting if done right is one of the most humane ways of killing. it is also one of the healthiest ways to eat meat. i’m telling you this because most of you are morons

• michaela says:

This is why so many people dislike PETA and its members. All you do is bash people who eat meat to make your selves seem high and mighty because you don’t. Since humans are omnivores we eat meat AND veggies food from both groups helps keep us healthy. And Ken come on! I’m a meat eater and I was taken to this sit through dlisted. Just like you i wanted to read what people thought about Jessica’s shirt. PETA members posted their opinions so I will post mine. This isn’t some conspiracy against PETA to promote the meat industry nor am I here because I feel guilty about eating meat. Some people like meat and some don’t. I don’t believe in wearing animals skins or fur and I don’t buy meat from violent slaughterhouses where animals are treated inhumanely. I think that makes me a fairly compassionate person and for anyone to say otherwise is simply ignorant and unnecessary. And what about animals that are carnivorous? Will you attack them too and try to reason with them? After all as humans we’re just a step up from any other animal.

• Kelly Lenoir says:

Mary june17th So do you actually know Jessica Simpson personally????? If not don’t stick up for her!!! That shirt she wore was horendous… have you ever seen how animals are treated in slaugher houses you dumb woman?????????? It is barbaric and if you cannot in your heart find that it is wrong you should not be called a compassionate woman… As a child of GOd “Thou shall not kill’ i Used to be a fan of Jessica but after seeing that shirt i was DISGUSTED… the only meat i like is human man lol…Bye Kelly

• Em$$ says:

Why are vegetarians so darn judgmental? I’m a carnivore and so far reading your comments me and my fellow carnivores have been called 1. Stupid 2. Blood sucking vampire 3. Cruel 4. Like the taste of death Do you realize that you would better convey your argument if you didn’t reduce it to petty attacks? Also sure cows are putting off some serious methane but what about you vegetarians and all the beans and soy you eat? The gas cloud you collectively create surely have ripped a few holes in the ozone. Let’s get some research going on that!!!

• Amy says:

It’s things like this that make me angry at PETA. Just because you eat meat doesn’t make you automatically a stupid and heartless person so the righteous attitude has got to go. “Meat will make you fat”? Just as others have said nothing makes you fat other than lifestyle choices. Overeating and not working out as a vegetarian can make you fat too. So maybe we should just change that to “Eating makes you fat.” That last reason is kind of ridiculous too. Just because the world would have more grain to grow if meat consumption was lowered doesn’t mean we’d just go around giving it away for free. In fact farmers would probably cut down on the amount of grain they farmed if they didn’t need it for animals leaving us in square one. This country would not go around growing a crop they didn’t need because it’s way too money hungry for that. I support animal rights but I’m not cool with using exaggerations to get people’s attention.

• M. says:

Reading this article made me very angry especially reason number 5. Maybe you don’t think so but world hunger is a serious issue one not to causually throw in an article meant to demean a celebrity. As people have already stated it is a completely bogus argument. Anyone intelligent would realize that. Which means that I’m starting to think that whoever wrote this article is either dumber than Jessica or just thought it sounded good so posted it anyway. No matter the reason this article shows PETA in a bad light. Is this really the kind of repuation you want?

• JK says:

“4. Meat will make you fat. All the saturated fat and cholesterol in chicken wings pork chops and steak eventually leads to flabby thighs and love handles. I hope the upcoming “Jessica Simpson’s Intimates” line comes in plus sizes! Going vegetarian is the best way to get slim and stay that way.” Hmmm…this seems to go against your 2 point that compassion is sexy. Acceptance of all people large or small meat eaters or not is sexy. Contradicting yourself when you’re trying to make a silly point over some ditzy celeb’s Tshirt makes you look even sillier.

• Emmanuelle says:

You are all ridiculous. For one just because anyone is vegetarian doesn’t mean that he or she is necessarily healthier than an omnivore FYI. Veggie burgers you get from restaurants and what not have up to 943 calories and 52 grams of fat! dietblog.com People that eat meat grains vegetables and fruit in reasonable proportions and that also perform a minimum of exercise are just as healthy if not healthier than vegetarians. I have nothing against all of you being all “Animal Cruelty just say no” and what not. I myself am disgusted when seeing how cruel these industries and corporations can be simply in order to provide us with food. But at the same time we’ve been meat eaters ever since..Well in “Jesus times” for you believers and even prehistoric times. Meat is a source of protein as well as many other things. Although the way that some animals are killed is wrong does it mean that we should ALL have to either turn vegetarian or just what…wait for the animals to die on their own? And what I was even more appalled about was that now why do you have to go and attack someone for a TSHIRT that they’re wearing? For one her tshirt can be interpreted a number of ways who are you to judge how it’s interpreted? And two we are also entitled to freedom of speech. If the average joe is allowed to wear such a tshirt Which I’m sure that many more people own shirts that insinuate these kinds of statements why shouldn’t Jessica Simpson? The only reason you people focus on her so much is because…you got it she’s already famous. Not to mention we hear about her all the time so I highly doubt she’s trying to seek more attention by wearing a tshirt.. And lastly sure she may not be the sharpest crayon in a box but rather than being pissed at her for committing a simple “mistake” or what not since you all seem to be very provoked by her tshirt why not just have sympathy…? I mean if she couldn’t know any better considering you all think she’s downright dumb than why get so aggravated by a TSHIRT? Why not focus your energy writing these industries that you people are all so against due to animal cruelty rather than focusing your energy on CELEBRITIES? Since you all claim she’s seeking attention…seems like she’s getting it from you people anyways. Good luck with the whole animal cruelty thing we all know it’ll be a long battle. But you don’t have to attack individuals for such petty things really.

• Heather says:

Did you guys ever think for a minute she was representing a woman with a healthy body who is not afraid to look like a woman and not like a 12 yearold boy?! Give me a break. “Eating meat steals food from starving kids. Jessica’s trip to help kids in Africa got a lot of media buzz but by gnawing on meat she’s essentially stealing food from the mouths of starving children since it takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat. If more people went vegetarian we’d free up enough grain to feed every person in the world.” I was not aware we imported our meat from Africa. How do we take 16 lbs of of grain from starving children in Africa?

• Jrod says:

Sure she is a good looking Bimbo. But I have to kindly disagree with your last statement. We have Plenty of food to feed the whole world. The fact is no one wants to send it there. And once you do the Warlords keep it all anyways. Don’t blame meat eaters for starving children. And if you want to point at food costs you might want to check with the next farmer you see. And quit using Ethanal.

• SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION says:

This silly babe got a cute little dog so i think she tried some dog food or there is another possibility some charismatic christian church sicko pastor whispered some poison into her ear so she is a perfect companion to old testament and prehistoric cro magnon and neanderthal freaks! by the way christ was not a meat eater but a pure vegetarian so how would it be then that one of his apostles baptised the ethiopian and that one went back to his country where the oldest christian vegetarian community in the world survived until nowadays! think before you write soooooooo gentle “christian” folks uphere!

• Ken says:

It’s interesting to see so many pro meat types trolling around PETA’s website. Do animal rights types hang around pro killing sites? Why do you feel you have to take the time to defend eating flesh with platitudes like “It’s in the bible” or “Vegitarians are fat too” or even “I know vegitarian breast cancer victims”? If all you flesh eaters are so right why do you need to defend the practice so vigorously? Face it deep down you know meat is murder and you are compensating for your own guilt. Maybe all you pro killing types should go find a factory farming site and prattle on with your closed minded posts.

• Sarah says:

From an anthropological perspective this entire post is absolutely illinformed. While OVERCONSUMPTION of meat is a terrible thing I agree humans are NOT evolved to be herbivores. There are nutritional values that we get from meat which though not impossible is very difficult to get from other things in the right levels. I myself am a very serious animal nut. I’ve adopted countless animals including two cats one of which was adopted to save her from the anythingbut humane society where I live have regularly volunteered my time to many nokill shelters in order to help them continue to offer services anything to help these animals. However even I have to draw the line at if you’ll excuse my brash wording petty namecalling just because a celebrity claims to be omnivorous as humans are naturally meant to be. I know MANY women who are strictly vegetarian and they have severe mineral deficiencies because it’s just too hard to keep up with everything you’re missingespecially if you are less financially inclined. Just my two cents.

• Maya, CVT says:

I would like to address Carly and Anonymous’ comments. Hello. Carly you raise a good point what really makes someone fat? The empirical evidence shows that it is two things 1. Calories 2. Sugar Exercise is excellent for our bodies and minds but an hour of exercise only burns off like one muffin! You have to reduce calories and sugar to lose weight. Anonymous hello. Humans are technically omnivores. That’s what confuses the issue sometimes but with the advances in nutritional knowledge dentistry and medicine humans can live much longer than our ancestors or tribal folks who often only live to be 30 or so. If we were carnivores we would need the sharp canines that felines and canines do. Think wolves lions. I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years I weigh 112 lbs I jog 16 miles a week and I mountain bike and I’m a biologist who spends hours hiking in the woods. I also love my life and I’m an artist with a very sharp mind. Veggie diets are great because of antioxidants plus veggies and fruits have no antibiotics or cancer causing hormones. Organic and nonpesticide local produce is the best. I get plenty of protein from beans and rice sunflower seeds peanuts broccoli and spinach. I also take in humanely raised dairy sometimes great protein from cheese milk and ice cream. more fattening than the former list though so in moderation. Let’s not forget the other logic that factory farmed animals are deprived of the most basic needs of an animal and are treated with terrible cruelty disrespect and degredation. That’s the main reason to consider a vegetarian diet. Thanks for listening!

• Mary says:

Oh my god you are so mean! How many of you actually know her? Most comments I read here are not a great sign of intelligence either…

• Anthony says:

Jessica Simpson is meat.

• Tickled_Pink says:

Bearing in mind this is the same girl that didn’t eat Buffalo wings because buffalos don’t have wings and also couldn’t decide whether tuna “chicken of the sea” was a fish or type of bird. Case in point.

• kathleen says:

There are A LOT of nasty and derrogatory comments on this…I thought you said compassion is sexy? I think more people would be open to and respect vegansPeta more if there wasn’t so much negativity and anamosity. You are critisizing people who are eating the way their families have eaten for many generations. Educate with compassion and more people will see the light.

• Lindsey says:

I think it is interesting to note that Tony Romo’s ex Carrie Underwood is a vegetarian. Do you think Jessica might actually be bigger statement with that shirt perhaps slandering the ex?

• sabrina says:

wow it sure does show a lot of compassion apparently something vegetarians have? to imply that fatties who eat meat deserve it. plus size intimates? THE HORROR! you undercut your entire argument when I read that entry.

• NATURE says:

Hi I’m Nature! I’m the product of random genetic mutations some of which were evolutionarily adapted with no conscious plan. I include the biological basis for eating animals and thus as some way I “intended” that. I also include the biological basis for racism and patriarchy and war and rape and thus as some say I “intended” those things. But since most people are opposed to racism and rape even though they are “natural” I don’t think I nature have any ethical value. So I’m not an excuse to eat other animals. There’s no excuse. GET OVER IT

• Julia says:

Considering I know people who have “gone vegetarian” and have lost no weight I’m thinking you’re probably wrong about that remark. While I think it’s asanine to display your beliefs on your chest I don’t see why it’s of any concern to you. And speaking of which user Liz needs to go somewhere PETA has done way more insensitive gestures towards those who choose to eat meat.

• Julie says:

Point by point 1. A recent study has found X. Whatever studies are always proving and disproving each other. My grandparents ate meat and they didn’t die of cancer and led long healthy lives. 2. Compassion. Sigh. Are lions compassionate when they eat? Food eats food. Circle of life. We get eaten by sharks and tigers sometimes. This isn’t a fairy tale its life. What about the millions of germs you kill when you wash your hands? How brutal! 3. Raising produce can be just as probelmatic as raising flesh. See the studies see comment 1! 4. I eat meat and I am not even remotely fat. I am extremely fit and very healthy. I know SO many fat vegetarians. Fatness comes from eating more calories than you expend not from eating meat. Do you think there were fat cave men? Nope. 5. Buy your meat locally and you won’t have to worry about “stealing food from starving kids” or getting mad cow disease either. Chico State Farms sells meat grown locally and treated well and fed properly.

• Greg says:

If you’d check your facts you’d find that the military causes the majority of all greenhouse gases.

• Liz says:

GO PETA!!!! Jessica shirt was way insensitive.

• Daisy says:

“Going vegetarian is the best way to get slim and stay that way.” This is not true at all. Also I don’t think “attacking” her like this is necessary? I agree your other points though.

• Alicia says:

“4. Meat will make you fat. All the saturated fat and cholesterol in chicken wings pork chops and steak eventually leads to flabby thighs and love handles…..Going vegetarian is the best way to get slim and stay that way.” I’m not impressed with your sweeping statements. Some meats may have a lot of saturated fats but what about lean meat like chicken breast? Furthermore going vegetarian is NOT the best way to get slim exercising and managing your portions are the best way. Even more for many people eating meat is the key to their dieting success no not the atkins diet. Meat helps quickly build the muscle that continually burns fat. Just because you’re a vegetarian it doesn’t mean that it’s the only way to stay slim.

• Chris Armstrong says:

So she wears a shirt that says she eats meat. I commend her for not hopping on board the fake celebrity train and being a vegetarian and a scientologist. Our bodies are designed to eat meat hence the appendix and the canine teeth for one they aren’t there to rip apart veggies. I am tired of people saying that the meat industry is cruel to animals. I will admit that some are yes thats why you need to know where your meat comes from and stop crying for the animals that are raised to be slaughtered. I come from a farming community and would really like to see anyone try to petition the eating of meat in one of these communities. Meat is tastes good and is healthy regardless of what you say. it all goes back to know your meat and where it comes from if your animal is hopped up on steroids to produce a larger animal then yes it will probably give you cancer but if your meat is fresh and pasture fed not grain as apparently this starves kids? I don’t think we will have a grass thistle and alfalfa shortage for the 3rd world country. I don’t believe in the torture of animals and this is the reason that a cow must be killed and bled out as quickly as possible to ensure the high quality meat that we all love. Have a good day and never trust a vegetarian.

• who knew?? says:

i couldnt give a rats butt about starving dogs too many of them or other stupid stuff peta complains about but what got me was the global warming if it is true because we are naturally carnivorous species we were created to eath both vegetables and meat in any case i’ll stop eating meat if it means a healthier earth.i did not know that farming animals for food was hurting the earth that in my book is terrible.

• keith says:

Got it just about right Kurt K. its like trying to sweep back crap from the incoming tide.

• hank says:

“4. Meat will make you fat… I hope the upcoming “Jessica Simpson’s Intimates” line comes in plus sizes!” What’s wrong with being fat having love handles or wearing plus sizes? We get where you’re going with this but your tone conveys a snobbery towards the overweight that is directly opposite the compassion you feel for animals. How about a little compassion for larger humans? It’s fine to point out that going veg may be healthier but you can do it in terms that don’t insult people with weight issues.

• kevin says:

Mother Theresa ate meat. Oh yeah so did Jesus Abraham and Noah. Does that mean they are “cruel” “dumb” “ignorant” and “blood sucking vampires”? Bit of advice sticking to facts and noninflammatory statements will build a much more convincing argument for vegetarianism.

• matt says:

it’s a tee shirt get over it.

• Nicole says:

So you people can brag about not eating meat but as soon as someone that eats meat decides to do the same she gets slammed? How is that fair? You people need to realize the difference between cruelty to animals and eating what nature intended.

• Jennifer says:

I disagree totally. Animals especially cows and chickens and all that were put on this earth for us to raise and eat. Why do you think they are so tasty? Have you not read the Bible? And not all farmers abuse their livestock! I don’t! The animals at my house are treated very well as well as all other farmers that I know. I hate animal abuse as much as the next person and I fight against such things as beating starving and killing an animal for NO REASON AT ALL! And meat does not make you fat! The reason people get fat is because they don’t exercise or eat healthy and are stupid! Get the facts straight before you start talking about something you have no idea about!

• Jess says:

Theres such a thing as not cooking meat in a massive vat of oil for one thing. Meat IS good for you theres a lot of protein in it which in the same quantities you can’t really get in other food stuffs without eating tons of nuts and beans. AND a little bit of fat is good for you anyeay. No one wants to be stick thin.

• Jason says:

This list is bunk! First off correlational studies don’t prove anything they are a starting point for further research. I know plenty of vegetarians who have breast cancer as well as some who are overweight or obese. Eating cheetos or highcalorie granola is not healthy either. Eating a balance of foods is what is important and we are MEANT to eat meat. We are omnivores. Otherwsie we wouldn’t have sharp canine teeth. Simple anthropology. Second I don’t like the cruelty of the industry and who does? I agree that the animal farming industry is in need of a shakeup but “feeling bad” for animals is no reason to try and get everyone to not eat meat. We can be smarter about how we raise animals and we can slaughter with a minimum of cruelty. But do you cry for the gazelle dying a slow painful death in the jaws of a lion? Or for the field mouse being eaten alive by a snake? Why is that okay? Are we not ALL animals? That’s the food chain baby. Lastly the governments of starving nations are the cause of the starvation. African leaders are rich as hell and sell most of the food we send them. They could do more to feed their people but they choose not to. Blame them not my hamburger or pork chop. Grow up and get over yourselves. That all being said Jessica Simpson is a big fat stupidface!

• lol says:

making assumptions is what peta is all about? Cruel people dont have to be meat eaters. Please keep the assumptions to a minimal. All it is is just a shirt.