Top Five Reasons Only Stupid Girls Brag About Eating Meat

Written by PETA | June 16, 2008

jessica-simpson-real-girls-eat-meat.jpgThe photo speaks for itself. OK, OK, I may have doctored it a bit to get the point across, but COME ON! As you can see, Jessica Simpson was recently caught wearing a “Real Girls Eat Meat” T-shirt. Puhleeze!

For a gal who’s best known for her less-than-stellar brains (Chicken of the Sea, anyone?) and her ability to proportionately fill out daisy dukes, I’m gonna go on record saying that if anyone had to wear a ridiculous shirt like this, I’m glad it was Jessica—as people are more likely to follow the opposite of her lead … ya know, since she’s so well respected and all (yes, that was difficult to type without tossing in a hefty LOL). Maybe the meat-eaters of the world will be embarrassed to be categorized in the same field as Jessica Simpson. Ecorazzi has more on the story.

Just for funsies, here are the top five reasons that only stupid girls brag about eating meat:

1. Meat increases the risk of breast cancer. A 2007 study of 35,000 women published in the British Journal of Cancer found that women who ate meat were far more likely to develop breast cancer than women who consumed none. Will Jessica’s next t-shirt will say, “Real Girls Smoke 3 Packs a Day”?2. Real girls don’t support animal abuse. Compassion is super sexy, if the huge number of hot celebs ditching meat is any indication. Young women turn vegetarian in droves when they learn that the meat industry cuts the sensitive beaks off newborn chicks and cuts off the tails of baby piglets.3. The meat industry is destroying the Earth. The only thing that’s hot about the meat industry is that it’s toasting the planet. According to the United Nations, raising animals for food causes more greenhouse-gas emissions than all the cars, trucks, SUVs, planes, and ships in the world combined. 4. Meat will make you fat. All the saturated fat and cholesterol in chicken wings, pork chops, and steak eventually leads to flabby thighs and love handles. I hope the upcoming “Jessica Simpson’s Intimates” line comes in plus sizes! Going vegetarian is the best way to get slim and stay that way. 5. Eating meat steals food from starving kids. Jessica’s trip to help kids in Africa got a lot of media buzz, but by gnawing on meat, she’s essentially stealing food from the mouths of starving children since it takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat. If more people went vegetarian, we’d free up enough grain to feed every person in the world. —ChristinePosted by Christine Dore

Comments

• Louie says:

Sheesh it’s a funny little tshirt. You people are way to serious and defintely take yourselves way too seriously. In addition you are completely intolerant of any view other than your own. Hypocritical don’t you think??

• Mike Quinoa says:

Alyssa wrote “the meat industry cuts the sensitive beaks off newborn chicks and cuts off the tails of baby piglets. The beaks are NOT sensitive. It’s like cutting your fingernails. It doesn’t hurt. They just do it so the chickens don’t peck at eachother. Which by the way actually causes MORE pain than chopping off their nonsensitive beaks.” How do you know their beaks are not sensitive? The sole reason debeaking is necessitated in the first place is that factoryfarmed birds are crammed together in huge numbers the pecking order can’t be established. Eliminate the overcrowding and you’ve eliminated the need to debeak. The same thing applies with taildocking and teethcutting.

• Holly says:

We look for change and try very hard to cause no harm to any living creature. How can anyone find fault with working to find a kinder life for all… It is true that insects and others get caught up in the process of plant production. It is true that vegans cause less harm than vegetarians and vegetarians do less harm than meat eaters. Some Organic growers work to do less harm even to insects however we know that its not perfect. We are working for a kinder world for all how can anyone find fault with our effort to do less harm and hopefully some day no harm to any living creature. Go Vegan save our animals your health and our earth…

• lynda downie says:

A toast to everyone who is moved by compassion for animals and the Earth to lead a vegan lifestyle! CHEERS ALL!

• Alyssa says:

This is retarded. 2. the meat industry cuts the sensitive beaks off newborn chicks and cuts off the tails of baby piglets. iThe beaks are NOT sensitive. It’s like cutting your fingernails. It doesn’t hurt. They just do it so the chickens don’t peck at eachother. Which by the way actually causes MORE pain than chopping off their nonsensitive beaksi 3. The meat industry is destroying the Earth. The only thing that’s hot about the meat industry is that it’s toasting the planet. According to the United Nations raising animals for food causes more greenhousegas emissions than all the cars trucks SUVs planes and ships in the world combined. ionly about 35 of the land is agriculturefriendly. People need to eat. So since they can’t grow crops they have to raise animals. So sorry but we can’t let people starve no matter how much you hate humans.i 4. Meat will make you fat. i That’s true. But there’s also a balanced diet and exercise. People can stay thin by eating more white meats and staying away from fatty parts. They can also exercise duh! to keep their weight down so that’s really not an issue.i 5. Eating meat steals food from starving kids. Jessica’s trip to help kids in Africa got a lot of media buzz but by gnawing on meat she’s essentially stealing food from the mouths of starving children since it takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat. If more people went vegetarian we’d free up enough grain to feed every person in the world. isee number 3i

• Shrek says:

Hey honestly person can get high and mighty about the rights and wrongs of eating meat. Speaking from scientific views if meat forbidden fruit?was not consumed by our early ancestors they would not have had the brain power to develop tools. If this stimulus had not been part of our development we probably would not have made it out of the ice ages. Realistically any treatment of an animal contrary to its nature can be viewed as inhumane. So unless a person who views animal abuse acceptable unless it benefits them Dairy farming is wrong. So we must consider alternatives to dairy. Soymilk ok now unless it is organic agriculture in nature Harvesting and maintaining the soy production causes toxins to be released in the food chain and kills millions of insects in just the US. Now is it wrong to kill in order for you to eat well most vegetarians don’t think so. Go eat some vegetables from the store. THat have been sprayed and poisoned to provide food for yourself. Does a bug not count they can feel pain the live they breath or do the selfrighteous only consider what is cute as important. The mosiquito that bit you the other day. It was alive only doing what it was made to do unaffected for millions of years before man. YOU CRUELLY SMASHED IT. If you believe in ethics for animals tell me of these ethics. If a person applies for a job and maintains it the garner minimum wage. Do our service animals get paid it is only fair if you use the phrase humane. To treat as a human. Police dogs do not recieve paychecks they may get room and board but this merely counts as indentured servitude slavery if your not familar with the term. So in the land of the free we still keep slaves but we can’t call them that. That word is bad. We call them working animals. So lets look into this. So if you eat vegetables you condone murder. If you drink milk you believe in life long imprisonment. if you believe in the usefulness of drug dogs you believe in slavery. We are in the end part of nature and doing nothing no different than nature already does. Ants farm aphids and fungus. Sharks will use cleaner fish to cleanse themselves which means they themselves use a working animals sharks get a service and feed the cleaner dogs provide a service and get fed. I eat meat. I give thanks to God for providing the animal for sustainment. I thank the animal as well. I do not believe in reckless killing of animals but if they must die do not do it for sport or for the sake of the kill.

• Maya, CVT says:

Well said Hettie! It takes a real woman to state the opposing view on this forum. I have to say some activists on both sides say things on blogs that they would never say to someone’s face! PETA does really try to reward actions taken to give farm animals more humane treatment. Just FYI I learned a while ago that the term “Free Range” is a farce the animals only have to be allowed 5 minutes a day outside to get that label! The label “Humane Certified” is currently the best although it needs a lot of work. It’s also worth noting that any type of certification can be thousands of dollars a year and some local farmers cannot afford it. For example some of the local farmers in my area grow organic veggies but they can’t afford the certification but we know them personally so we know they’re legit. Buying local keeps the economy strong and I encourage people to visit farms where they buy their dairy and meat from to make sure the animals are treated humanely. Please visit my blog or message me if you want to know about my diet I have it down to a science now! karyfinchyahoo.com

• Holly says:

Clement wrote “It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Go Vegan!

• Kurt K says:

Lets just settle this once and for all! The veggies can pick there best and the meateaters can pick their best. One big fight whoever wins gets to make the world however they want! If you think about it thats really what it will come down to eventually. Law after law will be passed protecting animals and one day 98 of Americans that eat meat will get pissed and this will be over! For fuck sake people mind your own business!

• Holly says:

We applaud you Vanessa !!! Thank you so very much for all your hard work…. Keep it up Vanessa !!! Go Vegan save up to 100 farm animals per person per year and save your health and our earth…

• Andrew says:

Sorry.. Didn’t realize that it was only philanthropists and not the government that was donating moneyfood… “Washington DC 31 May 2007 The United Nations World Food Program WFP on Thursday welcomed US government contributions in May totaling $32.4 million” httpwww.wfp.orgenglish?ModuleID137Key2505

• Vanessa says:

To Hettie G. The Department of Health wont let the public eat rotten diseased flesh!?!?!??? HA!! Are you kidding me??? It is so common that rotten diseased flesh gets put through with everything else that this is called DOWNED COW. Ever heard of that? I am sure YOU have. This is when a cow is soooo sick that the only way to get these poor defenseless cows to move even just a little bitif at all and remember this is very common is to get cruelly picked up still alive and breathing with a bulldozer to take them to get processed for your dinner plate. Oh yeah and dont forget the extremely painful electric shocks they get and the hard kicks that are given to them to get them to get up. Of course they dont get up because guess what????… They can’t!! They are poor diseased ridden cows that will get processed with all the others even if they are sick and will put the public at high risk for guess what…. MAD COW DISEASE. Hettie I am sure you know about Peta’s KFC campaign it is not to get people to stop eating chickens OH NO THE WORLD WOULD END IF PEOPLE DID THAT!!! but to get KFC to at leastat the veryvery least to treat the chickens that give them so much bloody profit to treat them in a more humane manner. I also was raised to eat once screaming in pain accepted food animals you know body parts but as I got more open minded and YES more compassionate I started to eat the delicious vegetarian chicken pattiesfrom BOCAthe tasty vegetarian prime grilled pattiesalso from the company BOCA and tried everything else they have and there was no turning back for me. And yesthese vegetarian foods are high in proteinvitamins and even fiber. God only knows fiber is what we need in this “plugged” up meat eating world. Anyway I wont be logging into this site anymore to see your feedback. I have letters to writeagainst vivesectionlive animal cosmetic testingetcetc to continue speaking for those who cannot defend themselves from all the cruel people in this cruel world. CYA

• lizc says:

to all you big time meateater fools!!! dont’ you realise you’re not just eating the pure meatflesh of all those animals?? you really thinkbelieve it’s as simple as that? you fools!! in that case you’d better boneup on what these poor animals are fed on and fed on big time… and I dont’ mean just the corn and maize au naturelle it isn’t as simple as that.. and I ain’t even a cowpigsheep raising farmer.. haven’t you heard of GMC or genetically modified cropscorn.. dont’ you realize these animals’ feed are full of these genetically modified cropscorn not to mentoin all the other additional genetics in their food ie to make them grow bigger meatier.. or fleshier or faster.. so if you eat meat and drink regular cows milk.. you surely have to be intaking these additives and GMC whether you like it or not.. eating so much meat good for you?? hmm.. don’t think so.. in any case.. what’s the big hoohah about eating meat?.. it ain’t that great.. I’ll have some once in a while and then I can’t face it anymore for another long long stretch period of time.. not becuase it’s so yummy and scrummy because it ain’t.. but eating so much meat ain’t a good idea.. even my common sense and subconscious ! konws that!!

• Holly says:

It is true people can eat what they want even if it means the suffering of animals for their greed and lust for eating flesh and they dont mind cancer heart disease diabetes for them selves or their children and they dont mind that the water ways are polluted with animal fesses to the point of polluted well water destroying streams Creeks lakes bays and the oceans and dont care about global warming and dont care about their next generations of children to come. I tell you this you have been warned not just by us but by UN and the science world and Md’s and PH D’s and their studies and in the years to come remember that PETA and other good groups and good people tried to tell you and you did not listen…. Please go Vegan save up to 100 farm animals per person per year save your health and our earth for future generations to come…. Please love your self and your familys enough save it all…

• Hettie G. says:

Vanessa June 26 2008 0357 PM The Department of Health won’t allow us to eat “rotten diseased” flesh. Granted they are tortured and I think that THAT is cruel and not right and I think there is DEFINATELY another humane way to do it. But I don’t eat rotten and diseased flesh. I eat humanely killed animals from my local farms. Big meat companies be damned to get my money. On humane treatment of animals I stated before people will always eat meat whether anyone likes it or not. I will and until my son tells me he will as well. It’s just the way I was raised. And it tastes delicious. Not saying that’s all we eat but it is our main course. The meat industry treats cows so horriblyand yes I HAVE seen the PETA undercover footage and I HAVE seen all sorts of the slaughterhouse videos and I know the are kept to the small little ‘cells’ as I call them. No real grass to munch on no where to walk around other than a 6×4 block. All they walk on is their crap and THAT if not cleaned off the animal properly before slaughter is hazardous. I think that making this big a deal about Jessica Simpson’s shirt is dumb and I think that people here who are so passionate on the subject as well as you should realize that meat will always be an industry and will always be in business. However there are better things to convey those feelings of anger and sadness and compassionalthough sometimes the inconsideration on here has completely shot down the compassion part. I stated earlier I don’t really see why the animals have to be alive when they are processed. I think PETA and anyone who has an issue with the way the animals are treated should fight for something as simple as a simple needle in the cows with just a bit of air. Then go through the processing. I also think we should let the animals roam free on actual land and have the only building they have to be confined in is when they aren’t living anymore. and luvallmeat is dumb in the thinking that we should kill them they way we’ve been doing. And unfortunately some countries do eat dogs and cats. Americasome parts don’t because of PETA and many other miscellaneous animals right groups. Hettie G. fordhater001msn.com

• Hettie G. says:

nightnurse “””Summary The consumption of a generous supply of whole grains legumes nuts fruits and vegetables provides protection against chronic diseases such as cancer cardiovascular disease and diabetes. A plantbased diet is rich in its content of healthpromoting factors such as the many phytochemicals.””” Read my post if you want or just skip it I really don’t care…I just wanted to say thanks for the information provided in your posts. Well appreciated and great to see someone actually researching and proving backup for the info they provide. I really did enjoy it. I understand plants are awesome for you I haven’t been trying to say that plants aren’t great. The majority of America is overweight due to the excess of junk they consume. A wellbalanced diet and a good dose of excersise is needed to maintain a healthy lifeto me. My major point in this post to you is that people are different. Every aspect of their body is different.How they eat how they digest food. Regardless of the fact we all have the same stuff inside it all acts differently depending on our habitat and environmental surroundings. Not eating meat may work for you but it won’t work for everyone. Once again everyone’s dietary functions are different. Some may not be able to survive on plants alone. That is the point I have been trying to convey. I’m not trying to say someone is right or someone is wrong I’m just saying something aren’t for everyone. exmarine Beautiful and thank you. Very well spoken and very well needed. Maya CVT June 24 2008 1025 AM “”All I ask of myself is that I try to eat vegan at least once or twice a week and all we ask from meat eaters is to try vegetarian meals once or twice a week and see how it goes!”” As a meateater I can see myself doing that. And I am so grateful for your thoughts about it all too. Rather than try like most to ‘force’ it find a nice median. I honestly think I might try that idea. Once or twice a week doesn’t seem so bad. Plus it might make up for a few lost veggies I have had in the week… Sam I eat meat too and I agree it’s all about how much of what you eat. But I agree with Mike…I would like to know the quantity and types of what meat we should eat please. Hettie G. fordhater001msn.com

• Vanessa says:

To bad the insanely greedy meat industry puts out false ads and information to make the public believe we should keep eating rotten diseased tortured flesh. We are no longer caveman to where we have to call feeling breathing beings with personalities food. Eating cows pigs chickens is really like eating your own cat or dog. Interact with these accepted food animals…and you’ll see. There really is no difference. I really wish you guys would just take a little bit of your time to watch what really goes on in those slaughterhouses to see what happens before the diseased body part is put in those pretty little wrapped up packages you see at the grocery store and put on your dinner plate. Peta has sites that show undercover video on this. And as for signed “luvallmeat” God DID NOT put animals here on earth for us to torture them. What? Just because we can beat and severely abuse a defenseless animal makes it okay for us to eat their flesh? It’s the horrific way the animals are purposely mistreated that I have a huge problem with therefor I do not eat anything with a face. On second thought just to eat any living breathing being no matter how it was treated is just disgusting! Body parts? No thank you! There are so many alternatives to meat and that really do taste just like it that there really is no reason to eat any bloody once screaming with horrific pain animal meat.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Sam Since you’re a dietitian I’m just curious about your recommendations as to what types and how many ounces of lean meat you feel a person should consume. From everything I’ve read North Americans consume way too much animal protein.

• Sam says:

Peta is such a farce. Why are you dragging her down because she likes a good steak? If you’re so concerned about animals why don’t you go to the root of the problem slaughterhouses. I’ve seen the horrible footage of animals stuffed into a cage for their whole lives only to be tortured and killed in the end. Do you really think you’re getting anywhere by attacking celebrities? So what if they like to eat meat… I LOVE meat… does that make me a bad person… hell no. And don’t give me any of that trash about all your studies. I am a dietitian and certainly there is no evidence to support that eating lean meat causes any damage. It’s all about moderation… if you’re going to gorge on steak then that’s a different story. It’s your perogative if you want to be a vegetarianvegan… but don’t bash others for eating meat. If you’re going to bash someone bash in fact don’t bash.. actually DO SOMETHING about those horrible US slaughterhouses.

• Dennelle says:

Get over it its a shirt. Freedom of speech people. I LOVE MEAT..I EAT COWSPIGSCHICKEN and i want a mink coat. If you don’t want to then thats perfectly find but just because she or anyone else wants to eat meat and promote it doesn’t make them stuipd Jessica is a little…not so smart..or pretends not be but eating meat doesn’t make her stupid. You promote not eating meat why cant she promote eating it?

• silver says:

“How would you like those animals to be in the wild though? Quite frankly if I were a chicken I would rather have my head quickly buzzed off of my head than be beaten down and eaten alive by a lion wolf dog or whatever animal is out there eating it.” Would you rather live a short time on death row and receive a quick painless death not that animals in slaughterhouses do mind you or live free where you might be hit by a car or murdered? The “wild” is not the wild for animals and though of course many would be killed by predators I’m sure if they had a choice they would choose a chance at freedom then a horrid “existence” in a factory farm which I’m surprised you don’t agree with since apparently you’ve seen the videos. “Do you know how many people are on this earth that are over populating it? Could you imagine if we put all of the pigs chickens cows and other animals on this earth as well?” Well these animals are in fact on the earthjust for an unnaturally short time and in the kind of miserable conditions that most rational people agree it would be better for them had they never been born. In any case the gradual freedom of “domesticated” i.e. “enslaved” animals might cause some initial problems but there are numerous sanctuaries for farm animals which would help alleviate any serious concerns. This number would be reduced in a relatively quick time once we stopped raising so many for slaughter. “Also if we did not eat meat… we would have a HUGE over population of animals. Chickens reproduce like MAD. Cows and pigs do not reproduce as quickly… but you get the picture…. We couldn’t go anywhere without stepping on an animal. Our killing of the animals cuts down on the population.” Cassie The reason there are so many farm animals is because HUMANS BREED AND RAISE BILLIONS EVERY YEAR FOR SLAUGHTER. Nice attempt at trying to justify your eating habits which are contributing to the cruelty inflicted on billions of animals every year but your statements unfortunately are not very well thoughtout.

• buckthorn says:

“There is something called the circle of life people.” I agree. Here’s the best description of the circle of life I’ve seen “Isn’t man an amazing animal? He kills wildlife birds kangaroos deer all kinds of cats coyotes beavers groundhogs mice foxes and dingoes by the million in order to protect his domestic animals and their feed. Then he kills domestic animals by the billion and eats them. This in turn kills man by the million because eating all those animals leads to degenerative and fatal health conditions like heart disease kidney disease and cancer. So then man tortures and kills millions more animals to look for cures for these diseases. Elsewhere millions of other human beings are being killed by hunger and malnutrition because food they could eat is being used to fatten domestic animals. Meanwhile some people are dying of sad laughter at the absurdity of man who kills so easily and so violently and once a year sends out cards praying for ‘Peace on Earth.’” David Coats “Old MacDonald’s Factory Farm”

• Katie says:

lol wow I think that if you are ever going to try to get your point across again maybe you should calm down and use points that are actually relevant to argue said points. But for now angry immature rants of arguments don’t usually get people very far.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Andrew said “Ok.. and where did the government get this ‘money’ to provide this foreign aid?” The government is not taxing you to buy grain for Africa. “$95.5 billion of the 122.8 or 79 came from private foundations corporations voluntary organizations universities religious organizations and individuals says the annual Index of Global Philanthropy.” So no the average taxpayer is not being made an unwitting contributor to global charity. By the way the cost of grain in the average box of cereal is about 2 of the total price so I wouldn’t fret too much about its cost.

• D says:

Oh come on. There is something called the circle of life people. I agree the animals are treated poorly before and during but until the government steps up and stops it it is going to happen. Animal cruelty for enjoyment yes it is wrong and the jerks should be treated the same way but don’t blame people who eat meat for making other people starve.

• Annalena says:

Cassie I do not see any pros. “Livestock” animals are domesticated. They are not meant to live in the wild because they have been engineered by people to be rather placid.They would not be around in great numbers if the meat industry ended. We are overpopulated and we kill natural predators. That is the reason why populations can become unbalanced.Animals would rather live in the wild and then be killed by a predator. I do not know of any chickens who prefer to live in a cramped feces crusted jail that reeks of ammonia with the possibility of being sexually abused or tortured by people.The wild is not cruel but we are. We are the only species that takes and takes without fitting into the natural order and giving back. Lions are specialized carnivores that need meat to live.We are omnivores that can easily survive without meat. Do not compare yourself to a lion unless you want to accept all of its behaviors for yourself.There is nothing cruel about a lion eating meat.The act has very few implications but in the case of humans it is a whole new story.

• Andrew says:

Mike Quinoa “Andrew What makes you think the farmers wouldn’t get paid? Americans provided $122.8 billion of foreign aid in 2005a small portion of that could buy a lot of grain. I don’t think PETA is suggesting the farmer not be compensated for hisher trouble.” Ok.. and where did the government get this ‘money’ to provide this foreign aid? It’s troubling that there’s this disconnect between what the government does and how the economy responds to their interferenceEconomy The many choices made by individuals in response to their own particular pressures and needs to fulfil an ultimate personal goal or requirement… It is NOT the “amount of money” exchanging hands. If the government taxes you to buy grains for foreign aid to Africa not only do you have to pay taxes to cover the cost of the grain but the price of grain will go up because government will be competing with their ill gotten monies to buy the same products you have to purchse to survive. It’s a double whammy! Woo! No. Your explaination of “The farmers will get paid because the government will take money from other people to pay for it” really doesn’t work for me. I personally don’t enjoy being a slave to a government bureaucrat who decides to inject certain sectors with money for his own personal world view regardless of whether I agree with the ends or not. The ends do not justify the means…

• TomOfMaine says:

There is a photo of Jessica Simpson in this week’s People magazine wearing that disgustingly selfish red tshirt about girls eat meat. We’ve written a rebuttal letter to the editor stating that “real women eat healthfully and compassionately”. I urge everyone to write to them as well at editorpeople.com

• Troy says:

Why is it an issue what kind of clothing one wears? For me bring it on. I’ll take a rare porterhouse tbone combined with buttered lobster tail any day than any kind of vegan food that won’t fill me up.

• Cassie says:

Hmm… I don’t agree with this so much. I do agree that Jessica Simpson is dumb but that is pretty much about it. First of all… I eat meat. I have watched the slaughter videos. How would you like those animals to be in the wild though? Quite frankly if I were a chicken I would rather have my head quickly buzzed off of my head than be beaten down and eaten alive by a lion wolf dog or whatever animal is out there eating it. Also if we did not eat meat… we would have a HUGE over population of animals. Chickens reproduce like MAD. Cows and pigs do not reproduce as quickly… but you get the picture. Do you know how many people are on this earth that are over populating it? Could you imagine if we put all of the pigs chickens cows and other animals on this earth as well? We couldn’t go anywhere without stepping on an animal. Our killing of the animals cuts down on the population. I have seen some pretty nasty slaughter videos don’t get me wrong… I don’t think animals should be treated that way. Do keep in mind though a lot of the slaughter videos that you are seeing are in other countries. Not all of them but many of them. So do understand that the killing of animals does have its pros too.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Ed There is a ton of research that what you eat DOES have an effect on breast cancer. The foods that are most protective are fruits vegetables and whole grains. There are industries that are very ecofriendly but the meat industry is not one of them. There are companies that specialize in recycling composting hydro solar and wind power generation used apparel bulk foods etc. To attempt to equate these types of endeavors with the devastation of the meat industry is way off base.

• Mike Quinoa says:

• Ed B. says:

It’s just a shirt. Besides if you can encourage people to go vegetarian why can’t Jessica S. or anyone else for that matter encourage other people to eat meat? 1. Meat increases the risk of breast cancer Nowadays anything you eat can increase your risk of breast cancer so take your pick. 2. Real girls don’t support animal abuse. Real civilized PEOPLE don’t pick on other people just because they don’t share the same lifestyle. 3. The meat industry is destroying the Earth. So is every other industry on the face of the planet. 4. Meat will make you fat. Like reason 1 almost anything you eat can make you fat. 5. Eating meat steals food from starving kids. How ’bout the families that get their living off of the meat industry what will happen to them when the companies they work for tank because we all stopped eating meat? Will you be able to provide them with an alternate source of income and prevent them from starving?

• Holly says:

Excessive use of energy Animal foods demand the lion’s share of energy used in agriculture. According to one study meat production requires 10 to 20 times more energy per edible tonne than grain production.6 Growing feed crops requires extensive energy for ploughing harvesting pumping irrigation water transportation and producing fertilizer and pesticides. Once grown the crops are processed using additional energy. For instance corn is heated in order to reduce its moisture content from 29 to 15.12 Furthermore the housing of pigs and chickens in huge windowless sheds requires energy for artificial ventilation conveyor belts and electric lighting. Slaughterhouses are also energy and water intensive. There is also the energy spent transporting farm animals at various points in their life cycle. According to a March 2006 report by the Humane Society of the U. S. “Before they are slaughtered livestock travel an average of 1000 miles but some journeys are much longer. Longdistance transport not only increases the opportunities for animals to come into contact withand to spreaddiseases but also increases their susceptibility to infection.”18 For harvesting fish extensive energy and resources go into building maintaining and fueling fleets of trawlers. Finally animal products tend to require more energy for processing packaging and refrigeration than plantbased foods. In contrast many vegetables fruit grains and tubers require no refrigeration and little or no processing. Livestock grazing Roughly one fifth of the world’s land area is used for grazing twice the area used for growing crops.2 Much of this land was once wild grassland supporting a diverse range of plants birds rodents and wild grazing animals. Forests are also cleared for grazing. Central America has seen over onethird of its forests cut since the early 1960′s while pasture land has increased by 50.7 Grassland is often unsuited for cultivation but with care it can generally be used sustainably for livestock grazing. Cattle sheep and goats are ruminant animals that fare best on a diet of grass. In dryland regions cattle can overgraze perennial grasses allowing annual weeds and shrubs to proliferate. The new weeds lack extensive root systems to guard soil against erosion. As the former diversity of plant species is lost wildlife also declines.7 According to a UN study titled “Global Assessment of Soil Degradation about 10.5 of the world’s fertile land suffers from moderate to extreme degradation. Overgrazing by livestock and current farming practices are the principle causes.13 Livestock displace natural grazing animals such as deer antelope bighorn sheep and bison. They also displace small animals and birds dependent on tall grasses for cover and nesting. Encroaching networks of fences and roads are a further impediment to wildlife.

• Andrew says:

If you have such concern for all that grain that’s going to feed animals instead of starving children in Africa might I suggest you start your own farm and send ALL the grain to Africa and totally deny it to those darned cattle farmers. That’ll show them. Then once you’ve gone bankrupt you’ll learn something about economics that you’ve totally missed in your comment 5. Grain is grown by farmers to sell to a market that can afford to pay them. Once you’ve put in the cost of the land the home the equipment the seed fertilizer fuel electricity water irrigation etc. etc. etc the cost of running a farm soon adds up. Why do you think that the sale of that grain to cattle ranchers is “theft” as you put it? The grain farmers are there to meet with demand and that demand must have behind it the force of goods or labour with which to exchange. Otherwise the farmer toils away to his own ruin regardless of the charitible cause. To suggest that all this grain could just be given to starving children in Africa is fallacious at best and downright slanderous at worst. If everyone just ate grain all that would happen is we’d have less farmers. At some point the price of the produced product must find a bare minimum because of all the input costs. UNLESS you should come to suggest that all the other people involved in the farm indirectly should also give away their time labour and wealth…

• Mike Quinoa says:

Well said exMarinea beautifully coherent piece of writing. Nightnurse wowtons of good stuff. BigDaddy About 10 billion domesticated animals are confinementraised and killed for food every year in the US alone. If every single American went veg there would be no need for these nonwild animals remember the vast majority of meat eaten is not wild wild animals will carry on as they always have. The numbers of these farmed animals would decrease through natural attrition until only small wild populations or sanctuarykept animals would be left. They would at this point have little or no effect on the plantfood stores of the US. According to the USDA growing the crops necessary to feed farmed animals requires nearly half of the United States’ water supply and 80 of its agricultural land. Additionally animals raised for food in the U.S. consume 90 of the soy crop 80 of the corn crop and a total of 70 of its grain. Remember too that depending on the animal it takes so many pounds of grain to produce a single pound of meat. If humans ate the grain and beans at source instead of inefficiently funneling it through livestock we would be inundated with huge grain surplusesenough to feed the world. Since you’ve had dogs your whole life I’m surprised you’re not more in tune with the range and sensitivity of an animal’s emotions. Pigs cows and chickens share the same emotions your pit does.

• Maya, CVT says:

“Ex Marine” should be HIRED by PETA and given tons of money. That is one of the most eloquent statements I’ve ever seen. I’m a vegetarian and I’m no saint. I buy eggs milk and cheese produced by farm animals which puts me in a similar category as meat eaters. I try to buy humane but I’m sure I often buy factory farmed products as well. So I am not standing in judgement of meat eaters at all. These factory farmed animals are denied the most simple basic needs of any animal. Put simply they are torutured for their whole lives. All I ask of myself is that I try to eat vegan at least once or twice a week and all we ask from meat eaters is to try vegetarian meals once or twice a week and see how it goes! Then consider going vegetarian or at least buying Certified Humane products.

• exMarine says:

The ability of humans to rationalize immoral behavior is astounding and aptly exemplified in the majority of posts here. It’s so easy for people to smirk and ridicule while turning their backs on the cruelty their lifestyle choices contribute to. “Eating meat is legal. They sell it in a store. Problem?” “It’s the way things are. Get over it.” Sounds suspiciously like what Southern plantation owners said about slavery in the 19th century. I suppose these people would’ve marched lockstep with the Third Reich in 30s and 40s as well. Legality is not synonymous with morality and “that’s the way it’s always been” is a trite backwards way of thinking. “If all humans turned to vegetarians tomorrow and all animals were allowed to roam free without being killed for food then the world would end at an alarming quickly pace.” Anyone with a modicum of common sense realizes that the liberation of animals from lives of suffering and exploitation would be a gradual process taking decades at least so this hypothetical is useless as a starting point for a rational discussion. “it’s a person’s choice to eat meat we don’t criticize you don’t criticize us.” Statements along these lines are simplistic and display a considerable lack of critical thinking. Of course it’s a personal choice just like a person may choose to engage in criminal activity or to be racist or sexist. But these personal choices have consequences that matter morally and if your actions cause harm to others then the victims have a right to defend themselvesand if they can’t then people of conscience must act for them. Meat eaters are being “forced” to become vegetarians in the same way they are being “forced” to blog here. PETA and the majority of those involved in animal protection are not forcefully imposing their will on others. What they are doing is congruent with what people involved in rights movements have always doneacting through an ethical imperative to inform others of the immorality inherent in supporting animal exploitation industries and how living a crueltyfree life is a benefit to the planet and to all the animals human and non living on it.

• nightnurse says:

httpveg.cacontentview133111inefficient

• nightnurse says:

A meatbased diet requires 7 times more land than a plantbased diet. The average agricultural land area in North America is 1.6 hectares per person 1.4 hectares after adjusting for the export of grain. Yet there are many countries in the world that use as little as 0.2 hectares half acre of farmland per person. These are the countries with plantbased diets. An area equal to 0.2 hectares is the equivalent of having 5.5 square metres of land available to produce each day’s worth of food. The average yield worldwide for cereal crops in 1994 was 2814 kilograms per hectare an amount equivalent to getting 1.5 kilograms 14 cups of cooked grain per day from 0.2 hectares. For root crops the average global yield in that year would have provided 6.8 kilograms of food per day from 0.2 hectares.2 Another example is the small footprint of land that fruit trees take up. A mature apple tree will produce about 20 bushels a year enough for 400 pies. A fifth of a hectare half acre would yield enough fruit to provide about 115 apples per day.17 Tree crops also have the nice advantage of not being prone to soil erosion. Any country with reasonable growing conditions should be able to feed their population a plantbased diet using 0.2 hectares of land or less per person. Areas with harsh winter climates also have summers with long days of sunlight ideal for producing high yields. Grains legumes and roots can be easily stored for use during off seasons. Areas with regular dry seasons are often balanced with wet seasons.

• nightnurse says:

FAO Livestock a major threat to environment The United Nations Food Agriculture Organization has issued a stunning report on global warming. Livestock production is responsible for more climate change gasses than all the motor vehicles in the world. In total it is responsible for 18 percent of human induced greenhouse gas emissions. It is also a major source of land and water degradation. Incredibly 18 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions as measured in carbon dioxide equivalent are due to the growing numbers of livestock around the world. It’s not just methane and manure landuse changes especially deforestation to expand pastures and to create arable land for feed crops is a big part. Emissions also arise from the energy used to produce fertilizers and pesticides for feed crops run slaughterhouses and pump water. Livestock now use 30 percent of the earths entire land surface. In Latin America 70 percent of former forests in the Amazon have been turned over to grazing. Animal waste accounts for 64 percent of ammonia which contributes significantly to acid rain. Livestock production is at the heart of almost every environmental catastrophe confronting the planet rain forest destruction spreading deserts loss of fresh water air and water pollution acid rain and soil erosion. httpveg.cacontentview133111

• nightnurse says:

Lettuce Grow Up to Be Healthy As parents we do everything that we can to raise happy healthy children. We immunize them against diseases we fret over their runny noses and we consider it to be a national emergency when Junior has a fever. Unfortunately many parents dont know that they are risking their childrens health by feeding them drugladen meatbased diets instead of cholesterolfree vegetarian diets. Feeding meat to your children will adversely affect their health in both the short and the long term. Meats are packed with hormones dioxins heavy metals pesticides herbicides antibiotics and other contaminants. Some of the antibiotics that are found in chicken flesh are even arsenicbased. These chemicals are ingested by the animals who are exploited on factory farms and then accumulate in the flesh and fat of these animals. Herbicides and pesticides are also dumped on the crops that are fed to animals on factory farmsthis means that these poisons are concentrated in the meat at a level that is 14 times higher than that found in vegetables.1 Furthermore since these toxins are in the animals flesh its impossible to wash them away. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture the consumption of meat causes 70 percent of the food poisoning cases in the United States each year. This is not surprising when you consider the fact that meat can be contaminated with a host of dangerous bacteriaincluding E. coli salmonella and campylobacter.2 Sadly adults arent the only ones who feel the effects of this contaminated food. Recent outbreaks of E. coli have shown that these pathogens can be deadly when consumed by children. Benjamin Spock M.D. author of the highly acclaimed parenting guide Dr. Spocks Baby and Child Care wrote Children who grow up getting their nutrition from plant foods rather than meats have a tremendous health advantage. They are less likely to develop weight problems diabetes high blood pressure and some forms of cancer.3 Indeed the saturated fat and the complete lack of fiber in a fleshbased diet can make your child overweight and lethargic in the short term and can contribute to chronic illnesses like heart disease diabetes and cancer in the long term. In contrast a healthy vegetarian diet gives children all the protein calcium and vitamins that they need to be strong and healthy. Vegetarian kids have the opportunity to be free from the fat cholesterol and chemical toxins that are found in fish chicken pork and other meats

• nightnurse says:

Health Benefits of Vegetarian Diets Recently there has been a renewed interest in vegetarian diets. Today there are countless books cookbooks and magazine articles promoting vegetarian diets and providing guidance for those who wish to follow a meatless diet. A Short Historical Perspective on Vegetarian Diets In the past many viewed vegetarianism as strange and faddish but appropriately planned vegetarian diets are now recognized by many including the American Dietetic Association as being nutritionally adequate and providing healthful benefits in the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases 1.Choosing a nonvegetarian lifestyle has a significant health and medical cost. The total direct medical costs in the United States attributable to meat consumption were estimated to be $3060 billion a year based upon the higher prevalence of hypertension heart disease cancer diabetes gallstones obesity and foodborne illness among omnivores compared with vegetarians 2. A large body of scientific literature suggests that the consumption of a diet of whole grains legumes vegetables nuts and fruits with the avoidance of meat and highfat animal products along with a regular exercise program is consistently associated with lower blood cholesterol levels lower blood pressure less obesity and consequently less heart disease stroke diabetes cancer and mortality 13 4. In AfricanAmericans the frequent consumption of nuts fruits and green salads was associated with 3544 percent lower risk of overall mortality 5.Distinguishing Feature A vegetarian diet is distinguished from an omnivorous diet by its content of dry beans and lentils. These take the place of meat and fish as the major source of protein. And there are so many different kinds of beans you can choose from kidney lima pinto cranberry navy Great Northern garbanzo soy beans and blackeyed peas. These can be served with rice added to soups stews and salads or a variety of casseroles and made into different ethnic dishes. Tofu or soy bean curd can be used in dips and spreads or served with pasta or stirfried vegetables. Soy protein contains isoflavones such as genistein and daidzein that act as phytoestrogens and inhibit tumor growth lower blood cholesterol levels decrease the risk of blood clots and diminish bone loss. These benefits clearly translate into a lower risk of heart disease stroke cancer and osteoporosis 6. Cancer Protection A major report published by the World Cancer Research Fund in 1997 recommended we lower our risk of cancer by choosing predominantly plantbased diets rich in a variety of vegetables and fruits legumes and minimally processed starchy staple foods and to limit the intake of grilled cured and smoked meats and fish. These methods of preparing meat produce polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines which are carcinogenic 11. Over 200 studies have revealed that a regular consumption of fruits and vegetables provides significant protection against cancer at many sites. People who consume higher amounts of fruits and vegetables have about onehalf the risk of cancer especially the epithelial cancers 7. The risk of most cancers was 2050 lower in those with a high versus a low consumption of whole grains 8. About three dozen plant foods have been identified as possessing cancerprotective properties. These include cruciferous vegetables broccoli Brussels sprouts cabbage cauliflower umbelliferous vegetables and herbs carrots celery cilantro caraway dill parsley other fruits and vegetables citrus tomatoes cucumber grapes cantaloupe berries beans soybeans whole grains brown rice oats whole wheat flaxseed many nuts and various seasoning herbs garlic scallions onions chives ginger turmeric rosemary thyme oregano sage and basil9. These foods and herbs contain of host of cancerprotective phytochemicals such as carotenoids flavonoids isothiocyanates isoflavones ellagic acid glucarates curcurmins liminoids lignans phenolic acids phthalides saponins phytosterols sulfide compounds terpenoids and tocotrienols. These beneficial compounds alter metabolic pathways and hormonal actions that are associated with the development of cancer stimulate the immune system and have antioxidant activity 10. Heart Disease Regular fruit and vegetable consumption reduces the risk of ischemic heart disease. A recent survey of 47000 Italians found that persons in the highest tertile of vegetable consumption had a 21and 11 reduced risk of myocardial infarction and angina respectively compared with those in the lowest tertile of vegetable consumption 12. A British study found that daily consumption of fresh fruit was associated with a 24 percent reduction in mortality from heart disease and a 32 percent reduction in death from cerebrovascular disease compared with less frequent fruit consumption. Daily consumption of raw salad was associated with a 26 percent reduction in mortality from heart disease 13. In another study lifelong vegetarians had a 24 percent lower incidence and lifelong vegans those who eat no eggs or dairy products had a 57 percent lower incidence of coronary heart disease compared to meat eaters 14. Healthy volunteers who consumed a vegetarian diet 25 of calories as fat that was rich in green leafy vegetables and other lowcalorie vegetables tomatoes cucumbers carrots bell peppers celery green beans etc. fruits nuts sweet corn and peas experienced after two weeks decreases of 25 33 20 and 21 percent in total cholesterol LDL cholesterol triglycerides and totalHDL cholesterol ratio respectively 15. Various factors exist in fruits and vegetables that provide possible protection against cardiovascular disease. These factors include folic acid dietary fiber potassium magnesium carotenoids phytosterols flavonoids and other polyphenolic antioxidants. Typically vegetarian diets are also somewhat lower in saturated fat and cholesterol. Vegetarians typically have lower blood cholesterol levels. Plant diets rich in soluble fiber such as found in dry beans oats carrots squash apples and citrus are useful for lowering serum cholesterol levels. The many flavonoids in fruits vegetables nuts and whole grains have extensive biological properties that reduce the risk of heart disease. Flavonoids are among the most potent antioxidants. They protect LDL cholesterol from oxidation inhibit the formation of blood clots and have hypolipidemic effects and antiinflammatory action 16. European studies found that those who had the highest consumption of flavonoids had 60 percent less mortality from heart disease and 70 percent lower risk of stroke than the low flavonoid consumers 1718. The yelloworange and red carotenoid pigments in fruits and vegetables are powerful antioxidants that can quench free radicals and protect against cholesterol oxidation. Persons with high levels of serum carotenoids have a reduced risk of heart disease. The recent EURAMIC study found that a high intake of lycopene the red pigment in tomatoes pink grapefruit and watermelon was associated in men with a 48 percent lower risk of a myocardial infarction compared with a low intake of lycopene 19. Cholesterol synthesis is suppressed and LDL receptor activity is augmented by the carotenoids betacarotene and lycopene similar to that seen with the drug fluvastatin 20. Berries Beans and Grains Anthocyanin pigments the reddish pigments found in fruits such as strawberries cherries cranberries raspberries blueberries grapes and black currants are very effective in scavenging free radicals inhibiting LDL cholesterol oxidation and inhibiting platelet aggregation. Various terpenoids in fruits and vegetables and tocotrienols in nuts and seeds facilitate lower blood cholesterol levels by inhibiting HMGCoA reductase 21. Garlic onions and other members of the Allium family contain a variety of ajoenes vinyldithiins and other sulfide compounds that have antithrombotic action and may lower blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels. A number of studies have shown that legumes lower blood cholesterol levels improve blood sugar control and lower triglyceride levels. Since beans are good sources of soluble fiber vegetable protein saponins phytosterols and polyunsaturated fat consuming a diet rich in legumes will lower risk of heart disease. In the Nurses’ Health Study the highest consumption of whole grains was associated with about a 3540 reduction in risk of heart disease stroke and type 2 diabetes. In the Adventist Health Study a regular consumption of whole wheat bread was associated with a 40 to 50 reduced risk of fatal and nonfatal heart disease. Nut Studies Epidemiological studies have consistently reported that frequent nut consumption is associated with a 3060 reduction in the risk of coronary heart disease 22. A number of clinical trials have demonstrated the effectiveness of diets containing almonds pecans peanuts hazelnuts pistachios macadamia nuts or walnuts to significantly lower LDL cholesterol levels by 7 to 16 percent without much change in HDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels 22. While nuts are high in fat they are naturally low in saturated fat and most are quite rich in monounsaturated fat. Nuts also contain a number of vitamins minerals and other substances important for cardiovascular health such as potassium magnesium vitamin E folic acid copper and dietary fiber. In addition most nuts contain phytosterols tocotrienols and protective polyphenolics such as ellagic acid and flavonoids 23. Stroke and Diabetes Data from two prospective studie supports a protective relationship between fruit and vegetable consumption and risk of ischemic stroke 24. Cruciferous and green leafy vegetables and citrus fruits were the most protective. Data from the NHANES study revealed that consuming fruit and vegetables three or more times a day compared with less than once a day was associated with a 27 lower incidence of stroke a 42 lower stroke mortality a 27 lower cardiovascular disease mortality and a 15 lower allcause mortality 25. In the Adventist Health Study nonvegetarians had a risk of fatal stroke that was 2030 higher than the vegetarians. Data from population studies and human trials provide evidence that vegetarian dietary patterns lower blood pressure 26. Lower systolic blood pressures in elderly vegetarians has been reported to be best accounted for by their lower body weight 27. Vegetarians living in northern Mexico were found to have lower body weights higher potassium and lower sodium intakes and lower mean blood pressures than nonvegetarians 28. Higher consumption of nuts 29 and whole grains 30 has been associated with lower rates of diabetes. In a large prospective study fruit and vegetable intake was found to be inversely associated with the incidence of diabetes particularly among women 31. Men and women who reported seldom or never eating fruit or green leafy vegetables had higher mean HbA1C levels than those who had more frequent consumption 32. An increased consumption of fruit and vegetables appears to contribute to the prevention of diabetes. Summary The consumption of a generous supply of whole grains legumes nuts fruits and vegetables provides protection against chronic diseases such as cancer cardiovascular disease and diabetes. A plantbased diet is rich in its content of healthpromoting factors such as the many phytochemicals. References Messina V Burke K. Position of The American Dietetic Association Vegetarian Diets. J Am Diet Assoc 1997 97 131721. Barnard ND Nicholson A and Howard JL. The medical costs attributable to meat consumption. Prev Med 19952464655. Snowdon DA Phillips RL. Does a vegetarian diet reduce the occurrence of diabetes? Am J Publ Health 198575 507512. Dwyer JT. Health aspects of vegetarian diets. Am J Clin Nutr 198848 71238. Fraser GE Sumbureru D Pribis S et al. Association among health habits risk factors and allcause mortality in a black California population. Epidemiology 1997816874. Setchell KDR. Phytoestrogens the biochemistry physiology and implications for human health of soy isoflavones. Am J Clin Nutr 199868suppl1333S46S Steinmetz K Potter J. Vegetables fruit and cancer I. Epidemiology. Cancer Causes Control 19912suppl32557. Jacobs DR Marquart L Slavin J et al. Wholegrain intake and cancer an expanded review and metaanalysis. Nutr Cancer 1998308596. Caragay AB. Cancerpreventative foods and ingredients. Food Tech 1992464658. Craig WJ. Nutrition and Wellness. A Vegetarian Way to Better Health. Golden Harvest Books Berrien Springs MI 1999. World Cancer Research Fund. Food Nutrition and the Prevention of Cancer A Global Perspective. World Cancer Research FundAmerican Institute for Cancer Research Washington DC 1997. Kafatos A Diacatou A Voukiklaris G et al. Heart disease riskfactor status and dietary changes in the cretan population over the past 30 y the seven countries study. Am J Clin Nutr 19976518826. Key TJA Thorogood M Appleby PN et al. Dietary habits and mortality in 11000 vegetarians and health conscious people results of 17year follow up. BMJ 199631377579. Thorogood M Carter R et al. Plasma lipids and lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations in people with different diets in Britain. Br Med J 1987295 3513. Jenkins DJA Popovich D Kendall C et al. Effect of a diet high in vegetables fruit and nuts on serum lipids. Metabolism 1997465307. Manach C Regerat F Texier O et al. Bioavailability metabolism and physiological impact of 4oxoflavonoids. Nutr Res 19961651744. Hertog MGL Feskens EJM Hollman PC et al. Dietary antioxidant flavonoids and risk of coronary heart disease. Lancet 1993342100711. Keli SO Hertog MG Feskins EJ et al. Dietary flavonoids antioxidant vitamins and incidence of stroke the zutphen study. Arch Intern Med 199615663742. Clinton SK. Lycopene chemistry biology and implications for human health and disease. Nutr Rev 1998563551. Fuhrman B Elis A Aviram M. hypocholesterolemic effect of lycopene and betacarotene is related to suppression of cholesterol synthesis and augmentation of ldl receptor activity in macrophages. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 1997 233 65862. Pearce BC Parker RA Deason ME et al. Hypocholesterolemic activity of synthetic and natural tocotrienols. J Med Chem 1992353595606. KrisEtherton PM Zhao G Binkoski AE Coval SM Etherton TD. The effects of nuts on coronary heart disease risk. Nutr Rev 2001 Apr59410311 Dreher ML Maher CV Kearney P. the traditional and emerging role of nuts in healthful diets. Nutr Rev 1996542415. Joshipura KJ Ascherio A Manson JF et al. Fruit and vegetable intake in relation to risk of ischemic stroke. JAMA 199928212339. Bazzano LA He J Ogden LG et al. Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of cardiovascular disease in US adults the first National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Epidemiologic Followup Study. Am J Clin Nutr 200276939 Beilin LJ Burke V. Vegetarian diet components protein and blood pressure which nutrients are important? Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 1995221958. Melby CL Lyle RM Poehlman ET. Blood pressure and body mass index in elderly longterm vegetarians and nonvegetarians. Nutr Rep Intern 1988371 47. Wyatt CJ Velazquez A Grijalva C et al. Dietary intake of sodium potassium and blood pressure in lactoovovegetarians. Nutr Res 19951581930. Jiang R Manson JE Stampfer MJ et al. Nut and peanut butter consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in women. JAMA 2002288255460. Fung TT Hu FB Pereira MA et al. Wholegrain intake and the risk of type 2 diabetes a prospective study in men. Am J Clin Nutr 20027653540. Ford ES Mokdad AH. Fruit and vegetable consumption and diabetes mellitus incidence among U.S. adults. Prev Med 2001 Jan32339. Sargeant LA Khaw KT Bingham S et al. Fruit and vegetable intake and population glycosylated haemoglobin levels the EPICNorfolk Study. Eur J Clin Nutr 2001553428. Author Winston Craig MPH PhD RD.

• Mark says:

The ORIGINAL article and shirt were about Tony Romo and Simpson……… is PETA REALLY that stupid? Or is that just a rhetorical question?

• F.B. says:

This would be funny if it was not so sad. You preach about nature but do not want mankind to be natural. When you convince the lions to give up meat let me know.

• mary ann says:

I happen to be a huge lover of animals but I was unimpressed with the 5 “facts” listed here as reasons not to eat meat. 5 states that it takes 16 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of meat. While I am not denying the truth of that statement I just believe that such a statement will be true regardless of whther or not you eat meat. Grain is the essential sustenance of these animals. The only way to “save” the grain for starving children is to destroyin other words killthe cattle and sheep population. Also to say that the meat industry is destroying the earth is also a fallacy. Carbon emissions merely SPEED UP the process toward climate change andthe general makeup of the earth. And while slaughter houses do produce carbonemissions factories around the world actually produce equal or greater amounts of carbon emissions. And so the only way to “save” the enviornment is to destroy all traces of the industrial revolution that has led to our comfortable lifestyle of consumerism that we know and love today. And while it is true that vegetables will make you slim you lose out on the protein that meat and milk provides which is great for hair nails kin and boosting the amino acids in one’s body.

• Antigone1000 says:

Van PETA is not shoving THEIR agenda down anyone’s throat. PETA and all AR groups and peopleare speaking for the animals who cannot speak for themselves. Animal rights is the agenda of the ANIMALS which we convey to those humans who are not intelligent enough to understand their plight or who selfishly choose not to because they think they can ignore it. What do vegans gain personally when others become vegan?? NOTHINGit is the animals who stand to gain and ALL humans not just vegans who benefit from the healthier environment that results.

• BigDaddy meat eater says:

Why if a person eats meat they are lumped into the proanimal cruelty class? I eat meat but don’t believe that animal cruelty is any more right than you do. Eating meat doesn’t make me a bad person it makes me who I am. I don’t condone clubbing baby seals in the head for sport or for tying dogs to cars to see how fun it is to drag them down the road. I don’t kill animals for sport nor do I think that nonmeat producing animals should be killed for any reason. I don’t believe in fighting dogs for sport or baiting bulls for entertainment. I own a pit bull and that is a very controversial animal. He is gentle but when I tell people what type of dog he is they all get nervous especially since they know I have a 3 year old running around the house. So to say I am proanimal cruelty is preposterous. I have had many dogs in my life and many other animals. I love animals all animals but I still like to eat meat. How does any person know what an animal is feeling? How do you know for sure that they feel fear or any other emotion? Most people interject human emotion on living things and it is my belief that this is what we do with animals. I’ve not done any studies or looked for results for any but to say an animal has a thought process similar to humans is just strange to me. If you are prolife then why can you kill vegetables that you eat? Do they not live and grow and deserve the same full life as the animal you defend? as you yourself deserve? Why do you pick and choose who you defend and who or what you think deserves the right to live. Im truly surprised that I have had no challenges with my previous statement about the consequences of a world where animals were allowed to roam free a world without meat eaters. I feel that this is because it is a point that not many if any of you closed minded people have dared to figure out a response to. I dare one of you to come up with an alternative to it. I will restate it briefly so that you dont have to search for the post in this growing thread of posts. If all humans turned to vegetarians tomorrow and all animals were allowed to roam free without being killed for food then the world would end at an alarming quickly pace. All animals would eat plants and plant life which produces the oxygen that we breathe. Humans would also join in this consumption of plant life and the supply would deplete faster than it can be grown. Hard to believe but plants dont grow on the shelves at WalMart. Plants also have this time where they dont bear fruit called germination and without something to eat then people and animals alike will starve to death. Now please explain if you can how the billions of humans along with the numerous animals will share the same food supply and be able to have enough to go around to everyone? Its not possible use your brain or did they remove that when you signed to stop eating meat. If anyone wants to challenge me I accept. We can do it here or you can email me at mg72370yahoo.com I have no problem answering you and I will each and every one of you that thinks they can present a compelling argument as to why I should stop eating tasty animals. A radio station here in Arkansas has there own meaning of the word PETA it is state simply as this People Eating Tasty Animals.

• Holly says:

Dr. McDougall’s web site httpwww.drmcdougall.comfree2e.html Go Vegan and save up to 100 farm animals per person per year!