Top Five Animal Athletes

Written by PETA | August 11, 2008

Staying up ’til the wee hours of the morning to catch your fave Olympians go for the gold in Beijing? That’s cool. But what’s even cooler is the fact that the best athletes in the world can be found in the animal kingdom, not the Olympic Village. If the Summer Olympics were open to all of the planet’s species, humans probably wouldn’t even have a shot at medaling—especially if they had to compete against these top five animal athletes:

5. Cows. Natural track and field stars, cows have been known to hurdle a 6-foot fence to escape from a slaughterhouse and trot 7 miles to reunite with calves sold at auction.

4. Ants. Known for their Herculean strength, ants can lift 20 times their own body weight. That’s the equivalent of a 200-pound weightlifter bench pressing 4,000 pounds!

3. Cheetahs. The fastest land animal, cheetahs can reach speeds of up to 75 miles per hour. Able to accelerate faster than a Ferrari, cheetahs can go from 0 to 68 miles per hour in just 3 seconds.

2. Sharks. Frightfully fast, sharks are excellent swimmers thanks to scales covered with tiny teeth that enable water to flow smoothly over their bodies. Hoping to reduce drag and increase speed, many Olympic swimmers are now sporting swimsuits modeled after shark skin.

1. Chickens. Chickens know how to bend it like Beckham. Give a small round object to a group of chickens, and they’ll happily pass it around, much like they’re playing soccer.

Yep, chickens. Take that, all you live-animal markets! Speaking of China not exactly giving a cluck about animal protection (see also: fur farms), I say that we honor the true Olympic spirit of friendship and fair play by treating all animals like gold.

Written by Amy Elizabeth

Comments

• Allison Tedesco says:

Well written cuz!

• Eloy Freites says:

Horses are very fast animals. Including rabbitsbulls and ostrichs.

• Sonja BONFILS says:

5. Cows 4. Ants 3. Cheetahs 2. Sharks. 1. Chickens Figuring them in their habitat may change their ranks I’d say as far as I’m concerned that ants would win gold cows go in for silver and chickens sharks cheetahs on 3rd place because of their usefulness strength and will … Thru competion against mankind they all win gold! D But on second thoughts i’ll give them all GOLD !!

• lynda downie says:

Thanks for including those little caterpillars Derek MD. They sure can lay down tracks!

• lynda downie says:

You said it vegan4animals. I’ve never known a human who can forgive like a dog or a cat I’m sure other species do as well but these guys forgave me personally in a heartbeat no long held grudges Morally superior you bet!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Animals are intelligent too. Here’s an article on Animal Einsteins httpwww.readersdigest.com.aucontent32513

• Michele says:

These animals are definitely superior to human animals in many ways loved your comment vegan4animals!. And they are accomplishing these things without having to take steroids to be “better” than their peers… I refuse to watch the Olympics this year because of China’s atrocious treatment of humans and nonhuman animals.

• vegan4animals says:

The other animal species are not only superior athletes but they are smarter than humans. Just look at the fact that they don’t eat garbage and have every disease in the book. The other animals eat the diet nature intended and enjoy perfect health. If humans were smart enough to eat raw vegan they could eliminate degenerative diseases. Oh and the other animals also don’t destroy the planet. Let us also not forget that humans are the only animal that is so morally inferior that it is intentionally cruel for the hell of it. Humans suck.

• Derek, MD says:

I would like to nominate the black or black and red fuzzy caterpillars that run like mad across the road during this time of year. Thanks to my wife I now notice these little sprinters and attempt to avoid running them over within reason not into an oncoming car or a ditch. If you haven’t seen these little guys on country roads start looking!

• Lisa says:

Cluck you? Hahaha! I love chickens. Never had a doubt in my mind that they’re superior to us weakling humans in some ways at least now if only they were 20′ tall to stomp on their captors…. I can’t see how people can ignore the fact that animals are also ‘people’. I think I’d jump over the notre dame if some random idiots were about to shove me in a tiny crate and torture me to death.

• nicole says:

chickens playing soccer that is so cute. i love those birds

• lynda downie says:

I agree they’re all gold! And squirrelsdon’t forget squirrels who glide updownaround trees in seconds. And snakes that sidewind across sand and across slick pavement fast enough to miss my car thankfully!!a breathtaking sight!! Thanks for honoring animal athletes Amy.

• Carla says:

I love your last comment Amy!! They are all FANtastic!! And the athletes who have to train day in and day out these 5 stars above do it naturally!! Love it!!