Tommy Hilfiger Drops Fur!

Written by PETA | March 14, 2007

Tommy Hilfiger.jpgDamn, these victories always seem to come in pairs. Right after New Mexico announces that it has banned cockfighting, Tommy Hilfiger permanently drops fur from their collections. Citing ethical reasons for their decision, Tommy released a statement today saying:

“Starting immediately, the company will cease development of any product containing fur, and any fur garment already in production will be phased out of sales channels by the delivery of the spring 2008 collection.”

Just so you don’t get the impression that these things happen overnight, here’s a little behind-the-scenes for you from PETA VP Dan Mathews. Dan first ran into Tommy Hilfiger at Pamela Anderson’s wedding in San Tropez in July, where they began a discussion about the ethical issues surrounding the fur industry (you know, the kind of stuff that always comes up at weddings), and they met again more recently at the World Music Awards in London in October to talk some more. Dan and Tommy had been planning on meeting again in New York this week, but it looks like that’s not going to be necessary anymore. Anyway, since Pamela Anderson was responsible for the meeting in the first place, I figured I’d let her have the last word. Here’s what she said about the great news when asked for comment:

“Since Tommy mostly used fur on collars and cuffs, his decision to go fur-free really puts the spotlight on fur trim, which is one of my biggest pet peeves. People who think ‘it’s just a little fur trim’ need to know that animals suffer tremendously for every piece of fur, and it’s unacceptable to wear any of it. Thanks, Tommy, for sticking up for the animals!”

Comments

• sofia says:

THANKS TOMMY!!! WE LOVE U!!! WE SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

• elgin lee baker says:

well thank you now i can actually wear some of your clothes again….tommy thank you thank you thank you

• Niall Maguire says:

Great news TOMMY im a fan of your clothes but detested the idea of you using fur trim now i shall purchase more with a clearer conscience great decision well Done and Thanks Niall

• abdullah ahmed says:

with peta and pam we got already almost every day good news! and my personal thanks to dan mathews i drink a toast to you and tommy hilfiger!!!

• Marjorie Hass says:

Mr. Hilfiger Thanks so much for going furfree. Now I can shop at your stores without a guilty conscience. Yours truly Marjorie Hass

• stephanie says:

• Step from England says:

Fabby news and all thanks go to Dan and Pam’s hard work and reason with Tommy. Thanks Tommy for listening to the debate and taking this leap.

• pinky jain pan says:

Woo Hoo thank you Tommy

• Rachel says:

It is a breath of fresh air to know that people are starting to understand the pain of these animals. I say thank you Ms. Anderson and Mr. Lee for helping ones that can not talk for themselves.

• Angie says:

One more victory for animals!!! Let’s all keep up the great strides!

• Lisa Scharin says:

HALLELUYAH!! What wonderful news! I sincerely hope that this is a trend throughout the fashion industry! THANKYOU sooo VERY much for deciding not to use fur faux or otherwise!! Personally I think fur should be banned completely! It is a heinious market and certainly unnecessary. It is vain barbaric and unacceptable to treat animals with such cruelty! I DO hope that other fashion designers make the decision to ban fur as well! Thankyou again and thankyou from the animals too! Lisa

• Tiffany says:

Thank you Tommy! This a huge step for the fashion industry. One down many more to go. Thank you again Tommy Hilfiger for your progressive fashion sense.

• Linda says:

I fully support it! Good decision!

• mina says:

I didnt love Pam Anderson because she always remaind me on a beautiful plastic doll. But now I see that she is clever and very human woman. Thank youPam for everything you do for the animals. Thank youTommytoo.

• Hege says:

Good news! Way to Go Tommy Hilfiger!

• Marà says:

from Spain thanks I will back buy in your shops. sorry I dont speak english. thanks

• Subul says:

Thankyou Tommy Hilfiger! Lets hope and pray that the fashion industry will learn and soon be furfree!! Cheers!

• terri calabrese says:

thanks to everyone involved in the process of removing fur from the clothing line. now on to the next designer!!

• Diana Vancea says:

Amazing news! I hope many in the fashion industry will follow the example of Tommy Hilfiger!

• annie says:

a nobel peace prize for Pam I love it!

• fernanda says:

TOMMY HILFIGER ROCKKKKKKKKKSSS

• Kris Shulfer says:

im so glad that more people are taking notice of this situation. thanks tommy hilfiger and to everyone who does there part in this world!!!! and of course pam anderson is a huge part of PETA and she rocks just for that reason alone!!!

• Andrew says:

This is great! I love hearing positive news when animal rights are concerned. My thanks to Pam and Tommy Hilfiger for their commitment to being ethical!

• Linda Clarke says:

I’ll be a faithful Tommy Hilfiger customer from now on!Thank you.

• Lativia says:

This is good because it is lessening the cruelty to the animals and I totally agree with their decision.

• Tina V. Q. says:

Oh good! I am always iffy about buying name brand stuff. It’s great to hear that another one of my favorite brands isn’t using fur!

• nicknakai says:

I’m grateful for your decision god bless. animals are god creatures…… thank you

• Maria Ouellette says:

The animals and I thank you Tommy.

• Kerri says:

This is wonderful news! What a step forward. THANK YOU to Mr. Hilfiger Mr. Mathews and Ms. Anderson.

• Carolina says:

Thanks! Great news…

• wendy woods says:

I am so glad I joined this organization. You are doing great work.

• diana says:

HOOORAY! for tommy!!

• Maureen says:

T Tremendous O Ovation standing M Marvelous M Mucho grachos ok i know Y YES YES YES Way2Go Tommmy Peta. A smile to my face!

• Aida Cantu says:

GRACIAS!!!!!! Esto es un gran avance en la lucha contra la crueldad animal. Ahora con mucho gusto usare la marca Tommy Hilfiger aunque su comentario hacia los mexicanos fue muy desafortunado.

• denise and her dogs says:

thank you tommy for caring about the animals and i’ll be back in the stores buying your clothes again i hope the other brand names have the same concerns and follow your lead!

• Renee Kirkpatrick says:

Thank you Tommmy Hilfiger! Now I can buy your clothes Thank you Pamela Anderson for all she does for the animals and to Peta for making this possible. Good Job for the Animals!!!

• Brandi Smith says:

While I am glad that Tommy has banned fur and am thankful to PETA for working so hard for animal rights I would like to take this opportunity to point out some flaws in PETA’s advertising techniques. PETA uses some very sexist adds sometimes featuring naked women and effectively making women into sex objects. How can peta work so hard for animal rights while promoting sexism with their ads? I am very disappointed in PETA for their lack of consideration for women.

• karina says:

Wow!! thanks so much this really made my day . What great news this is great success for the animals and thanks to every one thant has taken their time to malke a diffrence.

• kimberly says:

This is great news.

• tami fabian says:

thank you so much for being a friend to the animals. i know that your kindness will come back to you many times over. the fur industry is heartbreaking so thank you for the courage of your convictions.

• Jamie Ralston says:

THANK YOU TOMMY AND DAN ! YOU HAVE A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE. PAM YOU’RE AN ANIMALS’ HERO ! THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND HEART AND WHAT YOU’VE DONE SO FAR .

• Michael Griffin says:

Kudos to Hilfiger for putting ethics first. Consider me a future customer.

• Nicolene Erasmus says:

Great! We salute you!

• Gin Lee says:

That’s the best desition you’ve ever taken!!! I love Tommy and now I love this successful brand much more!!! I’m pretty sure this is a right choise. I really respect you!!!

• Amadeu Ferrer says:

Thanks Tommy now i no have problem to buy your products! My wife is specially pleased. Thanks again! Amadeu Ferrer Barcelona Spain

• Robert Steir says:

Hello I would like to introduce myself to you all of you. I was hired in October of 2006 by Toray Ultrasuede to reinvigorate the Ultrasuede brand. A brand that was an original American Icon of luxury made world famous by the late Roy Halston Frowick. I am determined to introduce Ultrasuede back to a new generation as the original animal friendly luxury fabric. Because Ultrasuede does not come from the misery of factoryfarmed animals I jumped at the opportunity to re locate to New York from California and rebrand Ultrasuede. I truly believe that Fashion trends can set into motion a new way of seeing the world one that allows us to embrace a new way of thinking about who we are and what we are really capable of being. Over the past decade Ultrasuede has been generalized by many cheap imitations as a generic term for faux suede. Ultrasuede is in fact the ultimate luxury and performance product that is both patented and trademarked. My goal is to get Ultrasuede back to its former glory thru brand recognition and education. If you see fit I would like to setup a time to discuss Ultrasuede and how we might be able to work together to helping spread the message of compassion in fashion and stopping the useless slaughter of animals for profit. I would glady be interested in speaking to any fashion brands or designers interested in using our products. Cheers Robert Steir Marketing Sales Manager Fashion Department Toray Ultrasuede America Inc. 1450 Broadway 15th Fl. New York NY 10018 Direct 9173428474 Cell 4152654119 steirultrasuede.com http://www.ultrasuede.com What Nature Intended

• Dimitri Rasov says:

Another great step forward this is a milestone in PETAHistory!

• roncalli and friends says:

tommy we love you!!!!!!

• jason meadows says:

• kelly says:

Wow!! Thank you Tommy Hilfiger And as always thank you Pam Anderson. Pam has done SO MUCH for the animals. She deserves a Nobel prize Seriously