Terminate Cruelty–Vote ‘Yes!’ on Prop 2!

Written by PETA | October 31, 2008

If you live in California—or even if you don’t!—you’ve probably heard all about Prop 2, the Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act. Prop 2 concerns a law that would take effect in 2015 to eliminate veal crates, gestation crates, and battery cages in California. In other words, calves, sows, and hens would finally be given enough space to simply turn around, lie down, and stretch their limbs.

Although we at PETA would, of course, prefer that no animals be killed for food whatsoever, lessening the hell that these animals are put through is something that can be accomplished right now—on November 4, in fact, when Californians go to the polls.

Among the many voices clamoring in support of Prop 2 are Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles stars Lena Headey and Thomas Dekker, who have come together with us to help explain why Prop 2 is so important. Enjoy it, spread it around—and vote “Yes!” on Prop 2!

Other Viewing Options

Written by Amanda Schinke

Comments

• JVM Fan says:

Prop 2 in OHio?? Farm animals to be let out of their tiny cages?? Jane VelezMitchellTV Host of “Issues” on CNN’s Headline News Show will cover this story nationally tonight on her show. Be sure to watch! The more viewers she has the better chance she can continue covering this important story. We did it in CA. Go OH and Go JANE!! 4pm PST or 7pm EST on Headline News Channel

• alice says:

so erin. Average people buy their eggs from large corporations not family farms. The corporations are the ones with the majority of chickens which are mistreated in horrible and cruel ways. They don’t sell happy chickens’ eggs at safeway.

• lynda downie says:

Brielle I think your word of caution was warranted. We don’t want agribusiness so efficient and misleadingly “humane” that it becomes more deeply entrenched and widespread causing more animal use. Frightening! The problem is we could hold out for a better deal that never comes while the animals continue to languish without relief. The atrocities Peta documents are often quickly forgotten when the next sensational story hits the headlines. And the sense of entitlement most humans have to use animals is deep and pervasive. There seems to be some momentum now. Like you said we must continue our fight for abolition. I may be out of line but I think it was the heat of the moment that caused the angry outburst. It must have been a crushing blow to Judith for you to oppose Prop 2 when she’s fought so tirelessly and passionately for its passing. And I think we’re all glad she never gave up.

• Elphaba says:

Brielle There’s a big difference between not thinking Prop 2 is good enough as most of the posters here do and wanting to vote against it out of spitethat’s just backwards and hurtful.

• joanna says:

Erin The ‘average’ farmer is a corporation in California. Corporations invented the current trend of huge concentrated feeding operations. These facilites are known to negatively affect farm animal health as well as human health. I have confidence that farm productivity and humane treatment can coexist. While a farmer may have to reduce the number of animals in their facility to meet space requirements they will also have lower mortality and disease due to the better conditions. Studies have shown for sows that when allowed to turn around they have more piglets per litter and less illness. This offsets any increase in accidental death of piglets associated with the sows. European farmers do not find any statistical evidence that mother pigs kill more of their babies accidentially when they can turn around. However US farm corporations continue to claim that sows will squish their babies if they can turn around. I would not be at all surprised if the companies that make millions of dollars selling sow crates to farmers used this idea to motivate old fashioned small farmers to convert to the crate rearing method so they could sell lots of metal crates. I think sows have always killed afew of their babies. This is probably why they have large litters. Allowing calves pigs and chickens some room to move is not going to be the ruination of all the farms in America. The changes required by Prop 2 are very modest in terms of increased area per animal and are phased in over time. I do not think you have really tried to imagine the discomfort of standing in a wire bottom cage for an entire year with no room to move and no natural environmental stimuation. That is mental and physical torture for a chicken. I am not one to say that chickens are equal to humans but they are living and feeling creatures. They do suffer from our mistreatment. I think the voters of California have just shown clearly that if they are provided the opportunity to make a choice they will choose humanely raised food.

• Pia says:

WHOOOO!! YES on Prop 2 won!! D

• Erin says:

I realize that my post will not likely be published as I am offering an opposing viewpoint to the ones on this board but I figured it was worth a shot. Seriously have any of you actually spent any time with farm animals or researched their state of living at all? I am not talking about the extreme rare cases that PETA and other “animal rights” organizations showcase. I mean go and visit the average farmer who has a sow farm? I am a “country girl” who has spent hundreds literally of hours visiting different farrowing facilities not only in our country but internationally as well. Trust me most animals are living a very humane life. Despite popular belief us ranchers and farmers are not cruel ignorant creatures we understand the need for animal welfare and we practice it not only so we can abide by the law but because we all have a sense of decency and compassion. I am not sure if Prop 2 has passed but I would urge a “NO!” vote to everyone. Passing this legislation is another step towards the complete ruination of American agriculture as we know it. If this passes it will add incalcuable costs to the American farmer’s already alarminglyhigh bill. These costs will be passed on to the consumers and though this probably doesn’t effect the vegansvegetarians as yourselves this will If our prices are not competitive enough we will face an even greater influx of foreign animal products where I PROMISE you the conditions aren’t regulated near as closely as they are here. America has the most efficient and safest food supply in the world. But in order to keep it economical we cannot strap agriculturalists with unneccessary and ridiculous measures otherwise our consumers will buy international products which will definetely be counterproductive to your movement. If anyone wants to debate my viewpoint please feel free to email me. My email address is ranchergirl0305yahoo.com Please include something in the subject line that notifies me that your message isn’t Spam. Thank you all and have a wonderful day!

• joanna says:

Phasing in the provisions of Prop 2 can only be done over time. Equipment purchased by farmers to cagepen animals is replaced gradually and as the cages and pens etc are replaced the new facilites will be built. You cannot expect in the real world a farmer to replace all their equipment over night when they have no economical way to pay for it. There is still a huge need for consummer education so that retailers will be motivated to purchase from Prop 2 compliant farms ahead of schedule. The public debate to pass Prop 2 is a big step forward in opening up discussion about the treatment of farm animals.

• kendall says:

I think it is a great START to ending the animal cruelty that goes on in factory farms. I do however think that a lot more needs to be done to insure these animals live a happy wonderful life and do not have a painful or drawn out execution. I ate meat for 18 years of my life. Now I am proud to say that I am a vegetarian and the only eggs I eat are from a family farm down the road where the chickens are free to roam. I think if more people too small steps like this the overall revolution will happen a lot quicker.

• Gentleman says:

Even though Judith is a hardliner and we need hardliners i’m always with her because she REALLY WANTS ANIMAL SUFFERING TO STOP!!!

• Elphaba says:

So Brielle you would vote no because the passing of Prop 2 would make vegan activism more challenging? It is frightening that given the choice many animal liberationists would prefer that millions of animals continue to suffer just as they are because they’re afraid of a little hard work. The animals deserve better from the people who exploit them and the people who would end that exploitation. Shame on you.

• Joe Axt says:

How do I get my state to do that?

• vegancoin says:

Judith raised several valid points ones that ought not be ignored by anyone with a bare semblance of intelligence and compassion. i agree with most of what she said we should do everything in our power to stop factory farming. “I would never understand why anyone would vote no on prop 2.” i agree totally. i hope this initiative passes as it is a step in the right direction.

• Amanda says:

Im from Canada so I can’t really help on this one o But when will we know the result ?!?!??!?!

• Abby says:

Judith seems to have some sort of emotional issue that causes her to fly off the handle and freak out over anyone expressing a view not 100 the same as her own. It’s the kind of crass behavior and lack of thinking that we often accuse the factory farm companies of doingthey put their fingers in their ears and don’t listen. It doesn’t help and it is ignorant and low. I can understand the view that giving people an “out” doesn’t really help anything in the long run. People may think “they have more room so it’s all taken care of now and nothing more need be done.” But at the same time do you want to deny some immediate or at least immediate as of the time the measure takes affect in a few years relief?

• Maya, CVT says:

On Tuesday as well we in Massachusetts have a chance to ban greyhound racing would love if PETA could spread the word on Question 3!

• bbr says:

Of course people would vote no on this issue. They do not wanna spend the extra money to give these animals room to roam. The more room they give a pig the less room they have to keep all of them under one roof. Then they have to get more space to house more pigs. Same with the hens. This is the real world. Of course I am with you on this issue. I saw on episode of Oprah that dealt with this exact issue and some owners of companies were trying to justify it all. I disagreed with them whole heartedly. The sows were 6 ft long and had a 7 foot length cage. The hens couldn’t even move because they were so close to one another. It was horrible. But some people who left comments on here say they don’t get why anyone would vote NO on prop 2? Because they don’t wanna lose money and have to spend extra money. This is the real world. Let’s be realistic. Owners of such companies will say it has to be this way in order to make products available to the public at a cheaper cost.

• Brian Kravette says:

Judith Not only is your post childish it makes no sense. Brielle wants everyone to be vegan not for animals to suffer. But making large companies make the slightest improvement eases the pressure on their back therefore helping their bottom line. Also calling people names like really makes you come off as ignorant lacking of compassion and uneducated. But hey I guess that is the only way you know how to express yourself.

• Judith FFFA says:

Brielle what does it feel like having a frontal Lobotomy such as yourself! Stay in Jersey! We do not want your kind in Calif! How many Factory Farms have you walked through you moron! How many Sows have you bent down and hugged until you had to be pulled away you worthless piece of excrement! How many baby calves have you tried to hold on to as they slip away from your hold you worthless piece of human garbage! Have you ever put your index finger through a factory cage and rub the delicate neck of a suffering hen! I am a Vegan! Do you have any idea how many sows have screamed as my husband is dragging me off because they want to come also! You moron this is not about you this is about the animals! You worthless piece of mental garbage! PETA went through the same thing when people chastised them because they supported Florida and Colorado who would faze the crates out in 2010! Intelligence says we must take baby steps before we have a world full of vegans! Anyone that would vote no on Prop 2 has a black and very dead soul!!! That’s you! Abolish Animal Slavery!

• Bre K says:

It’s so sad that people eat animals…Why? I just don’t understand.

• Crystal says:

Fingers crossed! I can see no risen why some one would vote no. After all they are only giving this animals a little more comfort.

• Ben Bradford says:

Rex’s mom I too am really hoping Prop 2 will pass. The reason it will take another 7 years to be in full effect is so that agribusinesses will have time to implement the more humane policies. Prop 2 will give farming companies a generous amount of time to adapt to the new law so that they are not overwhelmed. Prop 2 will help farm animals while being compassionate towards the farming industry.

• Jill says:

Brielle I see what you are saying. HOWEVER prop 2 will only EASE the suffering. It won’t end it. People still need to be educated and the pictures of what these animals endure even with room to spread their wings and limbs will need to continue to be shown as it will continue to have an effect. There are people my landlord is one who are going to vote NO on prop 2. The republican party recommends voting NO on prop 2. What gets me is that the republican party includes MOST of the religious “Pro Lifers” if that is true they are certainly some of the biggest hypocrites on the planet! Sanctity of life my a!

• mary says:

why will it take till 2015 to take effect and who decided that??it is TOO LONG to wait for this!!!animals need freedom from pain and cruelty NOW!

• joanna says:

Vote No on Prop 2? When the average person who orders breakfast in Calif does not even consider the source of the food on their plate I think it will be totally amazing that Prop 2 passes. Going from clueless to vegan is a process that takes some people a lifetime. The most significant issue is that these companies will no longer be free to do what ever they want…they will begin to have rules set by the voters that limit their bottom line. If you could see the huge concentrated feeding operations in California and feel the burn of ammonia from decomposing animal waste in your nose each morning that permeates the entire San Joaquin valley for literally hundreds of square miles you would know that ANY improvement to this situation will be welcome by both the animals and the laborers that work and live in these farm communities. Prop 2 is going to be a great improvement! Support it 110!!!

• mlo says:

I live in SoCal and definitely voted Yes on 2. In fact I have seen much suppport for this prop and I feel good that it will pass. As I’ve told everyone around me this is a no brainer and can’t comprehend why anyone would be against it except the factory farmers. People who are against Prop 2 represents the worst of humanity.

• joshdavis271 says:

hell I would vote yes if I lived min california that means no more battery eggs and I could have farm freash ones I feel the egg industry would double its produce and have healthy happy chickens willing to lay eggs for them all they want is to walk around and streach their wings a bit. This would enable them to live longer. also good news for the pigs and calves these animals need some breatheing room and it minmizes disease and produce healthier meat.

• Rex's mom says:

I hope this proposition passes but too bad it won’t take effect for 7 more years. Millions more animals will still suffer until this takes place. Why will it take so long?

• 4 the Animals says:

Exactly. It’s the Golden Rule and it applies to all living beings. It doesn’t mean just humans. I wish I lived in California so I could vote yes for this. I wouldn’t care about taxes that it causes because this is one step towards freedom for all animals.

• Curtis says:

Yes on Prop 2! I have hope that California will pass this important measure!

• Carla says:

When I think of the year two thousand and fifteen I think of how long they have to wait!! This is reality for animals killed for food!! So they can spread a wing or two yes prop 2 will make sure of that BUT first consider what’s on your plate and put the animals killed for food where they should be nonexistent!!

• michael sheehy says:

I would never understand why anyone would vote no on prop 2. I have been taught to treat others the way I would want to be treated. I believe this compassionate philosophy should be extended to animals as wellfor they have the capacity to experience pain lonliness and hoplessness. why would anyone who is decent and good not desire compassionate treatment to all including animals.