Teenager Admits to Beating Seals to Death

Written by PETA | September 21, 2011

Update: The Blenheim District Court has sentenced Jason Godsiff to two years in jail for beating seals to death, including some animals who were just a few days old. Jamaal Large, who denies the charges, has not yet been tried.

Originally posted July 20, 2011

A New Zealand teenager has pleaded guilty to beating 23 seals to death with a metal pipe. Jason Godsiff said he killed the seals, including newborn pups, because he considered them “pests.” Another man, Jamaal Large, has also been charged in the deaths, but has not submitted his plea. If convicted, both men face heavy fines and jail time for killing protected animals.

As appalling as their actions are, even more disturbing is the fact that had these men been in Canada, they would not face any charges. In fact, they would have been encouraged. Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper can’t seem to understand what people in New Zealand and all over the world already know: Bludgeoning seals to death is wrong. Despite international outcry and bans on seal products, the Canadian government continues to spend millions of dollars a year to fund their barbaric seal slaughter.

You can help by e-mailing Stephen Harper and letting him know that seals deserve protection everywhere that they are abused.

Written by Michelle Sherrow

Comments

• antonia maestre says:

‎”If you have men who will exclude any of God’s creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men” – St. Francis of Assisi

• Eva says:

Laila, it is not a new occurance that animals are abused and treated in this way, in fact,it is relatively current that we care how animals are treated at all. I have seen some horrible animal abuse in the many countries of Asia I travelled, it seemed normal. Even children did this, in the West it is more hidden, still happening though. We abuse our own kind in the most horrific ways, we go to wars and think nothing of it, how vulnerable are these creatures without voice? We have a human duty to look after them because they come from the same source we do, if nothing else… I commend PETA for what they do, I can’t read every newsletter though, too much, too horrific, I suffer with these animals. When will we stop?

• Sid says:

That’s the upbringing they get from their parents – scum like him are encouraged to do so, because I’m sure someone had told him that seals are “pests”. Probably his uneducated, underclass parents

• sylvia says:

I cant understand this kind of devilish behavior,this is so sickening to see.these people need mental help before they kill again.

• Fen Drayton says:

What did the boy do that hadn’t been SHOWN him, by (supposedly) ADULT men. IS there any point in writing to harper (lower case deliberate) when he sees nothing wrong with the seal slaughter in Canada? He’s supposed to be smart enough to run the country, but he’s not smart enough to see there ARE alternatives for these “hunters” that does NOT involve killing helpless animals. I’d be watching this kid, if he thinks that is the way to get rid of pests.

• Yamilla says:

Barbaric! It amazes me that some people don’t think that animals have feelings! For heaven’s sake, they’re LIVING creatures like we are! We need stronger laws against animal abuse! This is the only way for people to understand- Via punishment! Education alone is not enough.

• Briana says:

I for one, am appalled at such cruelty to a poor defenseless creature. I believe every animal has the right to live life to its full potential just like a regular human would. I may not be “old” enough seeing as I am 16, but the fact that the poor creatures are killed for sport just disgusts me to the core! I just hope and pray that soon the seals will be able to live in peace without having to suffer any longer under this cruel fate.

• Amanda Michelle Seigle says:

This article is extremely disturbing. how can he beat innocent animals to death. that is wrong in every sense in the word.animals are meant to be loved and nurtured. not murdered.

• Aνγε says:

Where is “an eye for an eye”?….cowards!! COWARDS kill/harm animals & children. Makes me so so angry and I am sick to my stomach.

• Cid says:

Yep, let him suffer as victim the same as he perpetrated against these innocent creatures!

• Lorna Keith says:

If this young man has a pattern of abuse like this, than yes, he should be removed from society. But, if this is a one-time occurance encouraged by an adult, he should serve some of his time under careful supervision in an animal care facility suce as a dog shelter. I worked at a shelter and saw young men in a treatment program doing community service at the shelter caring for dogs who needed homes. While, not all are turned around to caring and productive individuals, some can be and will continue to teach others what they have learned.

• Andreanrc says:

Ignorant teenagers are a nuisance in my neighborhood-can i bludgeon them to death?no.

• Alicjia says:

He should suffer for the rest of his life in punishment how can people be so heartless I’ll never understand.

• Joy says:

I am a Canadian, and I’m appauled that our government doesn’t seem to care about the welfare of our seals, I’m sure there is another way. Mr Harper its about time the laws for cruelity towards any animal should be changed, I mean, Mr Harper would you start by and watch someone abuse an animal even a family pet and do nothing about it. Lets get the laws changed!

• Laila Rosenqvist says:

WTF is wrong with people now at day for that matter also children – if you want respecet – show som your self! We strongly need animal welfare NOW from birth to death all over the World!

• Adriana Fariña Seoane says:

Hay que parar semejante crueldad,por beneficio de unos pocos

• sandra lenart says:

He should get more then 6 months he murdered these helpless animals.

• Kimberly says:

Future serial killer……

• Leigh Mackowiak-Harvey says:

Disgusting. This makes me sick to my stomach. The world needsstricter animal cruelty laws. These people need tone punished to the fullest extent!!!!

• Ioana Cristina Pop says:

Nobody has no right to kill!

• tom moore says:

He needs to be put in prison for a very long, long time.

• umang jain says:

stop this bloody job

• Michele Fishman says:

I just don’t get how this is still allowed in Canada. It takes a very disturbed person to be able to do this. Why is this animal abuse legal in Canada?

• Janee says:

Absolutely agree with Rat King…..I feel like I am in a bad dream….people are sick!!!

• Alison says:

Tougher sentencing should be given to animal abusers, torturers and killers. Its a known fact that a lot of maniac serial killers started off torturing/killing animals at a younger age, yet governments/laws seem to be ignoring that fact. Surely cracking down on animal cruelty would make a safer world for everyone, by ‘nipping it in the bud’, so to speak!!!

• Shelly Armas says:

This is horrible!!! I moved to Canada from the US, and all I’ve ever heard is how kind and gentle Canadians are, well I can tell you, this is far from a kind or gentle act Mr. Harper. You refrain from supporting the US in the war but you’re ok with slaughtering these poor seals, what a hypocrite. Please do the right thing and bad this barbaric practice, and tell the world that you’re on board with the rest of the world.

• Melodie says:

Please these animals deserve to live on peace! Please stopthis!!!!

• Marina says:

Humans pester me much more than any animal could.

• laureen says:

WHOEVER DARES DOING SUCH A THING IS NOT HUMAN. WE LIVE IN THE 21TH CENTURY AND WE(“human”) ACT AS BARBARIANS. I BELIEVE THAT THERE HAS BEEN NO EVOLUTION SO FAR.

• Holly says:

That is absolutely horrible…

• rebecca finn says:

evil excuse for a human being, far stiffer penalties must be imposed to stop these evil idiots commiting these heinius crimes agains animals

• serena vann says:

You wonder if his parents have the same mentality. They say is someone kills animals, they will next kill humans!

• bell says:

this kid needs serious jail time and serious counseling. brutal and capricious.

• sue smith says:

How low can the human race sink. Beating any animal is abhorant why does the Law let them get away with it – 6 months so does that stop anyone he should get hard labour and never be able to own an animal for life

• Lisa Pirock says:

HOW DO WE STOP THIS! Humankind couldn’t be more cruel

• oksana says:

What this teen did was wrong and truthfully i feel like he should have to feel the same pain as those seals. But what one child does shouldn’t affect how you think teens are ,im 17 vegan and love animals and so do millions of teens also video games don’t affect us on that kind of level. this one child did something unforgettable but please don’t think that all teens are like this cause im not and millions are not.

• nathalie vass says:

Its disgusting….makes Me sick!!

• a c says:

I’d like to do the same to him as he’s doing to these poor innocent seals! I hope he hasn’t gotten away with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me so sad that humans can be like this!

• ajb says:

I hope he gets the 6 months custodial sentence for each seal he slaughtered. What a freak! How long til he does the same to a person he considers to be a “pest”? I wish him suffering for what he has done!

• Elle Durow says:

What this teenager did was savage brutality. He should have been sentenced to at least ten years of community service in an animal rehabilitation centre plus corporal punishment!

• lisa says:

He killed them because he considered them as pests???how do’s he explain they are pests when he killed them while on his way home from work on a building site and deliberatly stopped at the protected seal colony and bludgeoned them to death,he should have nore than 6 months in prison, he must thinkhe is a canadian seal clubber i hope he gets a heavy sentence obviously a very disturberd individual.

• Jitu says:

Hi, I have received a mail in which young Seals in Canada and Norway are getting killed for the sport purpose. They call it as Hunting sport. I don’t know exact details of it but such people should be sent straight to prison and should be imposed with heavy fine. Kindly investigate this matter and protect the young seal’s life. Just Well Wisher.

• STS (Save the seals) says:

Stop the seal hunt Steven Harper . Dont you have a heart. Please stop the seal hunt

• Sydney says:

Kids today… dumb brat must be confusing his violent video games with the real world.

• Judy Wheeler says:

Please stop this cruelty it is wrong on so many levels.

• carol crunkhorn says:

Human beings are such a ‘mixed bag’ and this atrocity reminds us that civilisation is just a word; emotionally, some people are still savages. Heavy fines and/or jail time will do nothing to change the way these two treat defenceless creatures, any more than petitions will make Stephen Harper ban the seal hunt. Fear of retribution in kind is the only deterrent to such cowardly bullies and in the case of politicians it is the fear of losing office.

• katrina says:

He bludgeons an animal to death with a metal pipe because he thinks they are pests??? OMG. what does he think they are to them? Lets get real people. An animal is living breathing thing and needs to be respected as such.

• Michelle Storace says:

Jason Godsiff will be doing this to a human being next. Thats how it works. SICK SICK SICK

• Len says:

The insanity of the Canadian leadership in respect to the annual seal slaughter is just unbelievable in the 21st century and supposedly a civilised society. Lets hope the PM Steven Harper hears the cries of pain and anguish of mother and baby seals as he rests his head upon his pillow every night. For he is solely responsible for this horror and the civilised world knows it….

• Rat King says:

The human bestiality has no borders – I’m definitely in a bad dream! Please GOD – free the animals and me!