Success! Taste-Testers Love First Bite of Lab-Grown Meat!

Written by Michelle Kretzer | August 5, 2013

Today in London, for the first time, two people got to sink their teeth into a real beef hamburger that wasn’t grown inside a cow. Professor Mark Post of Maastricht University in the Netherlands publicly unveiled his lab-grown burger at a high-profile taste-testing event that was streamed online. A chef prepared the cultured beef patty, and Post let a food writer and a food researcher do the honors.

“The surface of the meat was crunchy—surprisingly,” said food researcher Hanni Rutzler. “The taste itself was as juicy as meat can be, but different. It tastes like meat, not a meat-substitute like soya or whatever.”

Well, there are some pretty tasty soy—or whatever—burgers, but some people just “have to have” real meat. And that’s going to be OK one day, because cultured beef is meat. Post made his by placing stem cells taken from cows into a culture dish and feeding the cells with fetal calf serum to make them grow. He says that one sample of muscle cells taken from a live cow during a biopsy could create up to 20,000 tons of cultured beef.

Besides eliminating the need to slaughter billions of animals every year, growing meat in a laboratory would end clear-cutting of forests for livestock production, conserve vast amounts of water and energy, and reduce greenhouse-gas emissions for meat production by 78 to 96 percent.

PETA has been investing in cultured meat research for the past six years to save animals. The debut of this lab-grown burger is the first important step toward realizing the dream of one day putting environmentally sound, humanely produced real meat into the hands and mouths of the people who insist upon eating animal flesh.

Comments

• lindy coop says:

I have been waiting for this for some time. I am SOOOO happy to hear that this is finally coming to fruition – or should I see meatition!!!! Congratulations guys. Hope this “meat” will be available in Australia some time soon.

• sharon says:

If meat must be consumed, then this is the way.

• Nicole says:

Where can I buy it? :)

• Manel says:

If this is truly going to work this way it would save this planet earth very different formation. I would be so happy to see those poor animals lives be ultimately spared and be allowed them to live as the way they are and any living being supposed to be.

• Itcha2 says:

Yay! Wow

• Ann Bley says:

I hope that this can be made economical, and that the meat eating public will choose this product . Also I hope PETA will do the same for fish. Good luck with this.

• -PAUL- says:

The best thing ever that could happen for animals! Thanks PETA for recognising the worth of this technology and investing in it. Now we need to develop fake blood filled with the nutrient that meat needs to grow made from things that can be grown organicly and factory farms will be out compeated on price!

• Sharon Fenderson says:

Very, very cool!

• Brian says:

This is great! Meat the humane way!

• DNM says:

That is awesome :) Hope this catches on! Good work everyone!

• Lauren Wallace says:

I do not eat animal flesh! but I do believe that this alternative will help all those poor animals from abuse and murder.

• Amelia Karwacki says:

I’m glad for this new technology for people who want meat. The savings will be astronomical.

• Anne says:

At first I was uncertain, but it sounds great. Thanks PETA for all your good work.

• Julie Davey says:

Really hope this takes off very soon, to safe all these poor animals being sent to slaughter. Just makes me sick.

• oh Holland says:

I’ve been a happy veggie for 39 years so don’t think even cruelty-free meat will ever grace my plate, BUT … I am thrilled that the advances in lab meat have accelerated to the point we can expect it to be marketed in the near future. Anything that frees sentient animals from the pipeline of human-induced suffering gets a big, bright green light. Lab meat is such a boon to animals, human hunger, the land, water, air and global economies, it’s impossible to over state its positive impact. I salute the scientists, benefactors, ethicists and animal advocates who have its prompted progress for many years.

• Stephanie Curran says:

That is so awesome! Hopefully they’ll find a way to do it for chicken As well.

• TheVeganScientist says:

In vitro technology has so much potential to reduce or eliminate animals suffering. In vitro technology will accelerate the advancement of in vitro human organ tissue that can replace animal testing. It will accelerate all sort of technologies including in vitro production of functional cells of plant origin as well, that can be used for textiles, plastics, bio-films, etc… The by-products of factory farms such as leather, collagen, hooves, feathers, etc… will become more expensive without their parent market. Synthetic materials already price-pointed to compete with animal products will become more attractive, thereby further reducing the prevalence of animal products in use. By basic thermodynamic considerations, in vitro meat will be less expensive, because there is no energy required to produce, bones, organs, brains, and keeping all the organ systems working together until the animal is slaughtered. In vitro meat can be grown locally within the boundaries of major metropolitan centers reducing shipping, processing, and refrigeration costs and required energy for these elements of food production. Some of the nutrients required for in vitro meat production can be siphoned off current food waste streams or recycled in closed batch reactors. Quorn is probably the 1st mass produced in vitro food product and I can see other plant based proteins produced in this manner, thereby cutting down land usage and animal deaths from farm equipment even further. The best uses of technology are one that reduce or eliminate suffering and this is one of these technologies. It has great potential.

• Margaret Jones says:

Oh my goodness, its happening at last. I’m not a flesh eater, but I understand people who do eat meat have difficulty giving it up – I don’t know why, but there it is!. This is the news a lot of us have been hoping for. Hopefully this will eventually stop the slaughter of billions of animals, cut down on fields used to grow food for animals and save water and energy. This man needs to be applauded and money should now be diverted to increasing this.

• Judith Werr says:

A couple decades ago I thought why don’t they just produce meat out of a petri dish since those who insist on eating meat only really care about a slab of meat. Eventually over many years the poor animals would evolve with no legs, wings, beaks, etc. because they are not able to use them in the horrific factory farm environment. Thank you, PETA!!!!!

• Amalia Savelli says:

I am so happy that hopefully this is the future for providing meat to people that insist on eating. The very animals that work and provide for us are treated so inhumanely. I work with pets as a groomer and when I bring up the torture animals are put through some of my customers say they don’t care. So this is a huge advancement for the welfare of the very animals that nourish us.

• Agnes wegrodzka says:

Im very supportive in lab meet growing great I’d good lack

• Henriette heck says:

I am earerly awaiting the first lab-grown meat !!!! I hope it will be a great success !

• rachel says:

Sounds brilliant

• Carole Moore says:

That’s great news! There is hope that one day, animals will all be free (anyway, it comforts me to hope such a thing) gulfP

• Peter Baker says:

This is indeed a breakthrough; a start to real civilization! PETA support is critical on this issue.

• chander kumar soni says:

thanks. this will save animals.

• Iva Turato says:

Growing meat in a laboratory would end slauter billions of animals every year and clear-cutting of forests for livestock production, conserve vast amounts of water and energy, and reduce greenhouse-gas emissions for meat production by 78 to 96 percent.

• Penelope Ryan says:

What could be better. A no – kill burger!!!!!! No methane and no suffering.

• paul says:

good now we can save the cows from being slaughtered for us they have to live like we do

• Eszter Ohanovits says:

Nice! Well, I’m vegetarian, but it’s good for people who can’t live without meat, but doesn’t want animals to die.

• Rebecca says:

Love this technological advancement!!! Didn’t know there could be such a thing! Wonderful news for animals and animal lovers alike!

• Kimiko Yamamoto says:

Good news for animals and for the rest of the world!

• mtrhowe85 says:

I have been saying for years that in the future meat will be grown. Guess I was right!

• Greg says:

What a great step toward a cruelty free world!

• terrie says:

I wish it was available today!!!

• Elena Fomina says:

I am so happy to hear that! I really hope lab grown meat will replace animal “harvested” meat in not so distant future. It would also solve the problem of growing protein shortage in the world. A lot of meat eaters love animals, but unfortunately unless every burger comes with a photo or video spread from a slaughter floor, people will keep compartmentalize animals: cats and dogs I love, but beef I eat. So this is such amazing news! As fairly recent convert to vegetarianism but a life long animal rights supporter I am beyond happy to hear the news (although I’ve also read about it in the New Yorker two years ago).

• Tasha says:

What a great idea to help the environment & to finally put an end to animal cruelty in slaughterhouses. Keep me posted!

• CARMEN MARIA says:

Wow, perfect. Hope this can really get to be a reality worlwide once ….. So many animal slaughter makes me sick although I am culturaly a meat eater.

• monica reynolds says:

this is the BEST thing that could happen for these poor animals that go to slaughter every minute of every day, it just breaks my heart………so if they can devise something that is a substitute and it probably alot healthier…then i am all for it……..Congratulations!!

• Vicky says:

I am pleased to hear of this progress. I do eat beef, but have given up chicken and pigs. I am trying because I have a lot of love for animals and think all are beautiful. It has taken me 6 months to get this far so hopefully this other form of beef will be out on sale in the near future.

• mary says:

Love this idea!

• Atia says:

If stubborn/thoughtless/ignorant meat eaters who would never stoop to resorting to delicious and varied vegan/vegetarian cuisine would eat this lab-grown meat, I’m all for it. For the rest of us vegans/vegetarians, there are delicious alternatives without eating lab-grown meat when we wouldn’t eat real meat under any circumstance.

• Nick G says:

That’s amazing! Wouldn’t this be wonderful if it could really take the place of slaughtering cows for food!

• Franco says:

“We’ve only just begun..” as the Carpenters once sang. Yes!

• Esmse says:

As a vegan, I support cultured meat. It sounds much more efficient than what we have nowadays. Perhaps it’s healthier too; lab settings tend to be much cleaner than your average factory farm.

• AshleyNicole says:

I think this is amazing and life saving!

• Ashley Thompson says:

This is amazing!! I know u guys have been waiting on this for a while. Now, the real question remains. When will it be available for consumers?

• Andrew Tarr says:

YAY!!!!! Sign me up as a customer. The moment this becomes available to the public, I will happily buy it, even if it’s super expensive.

• Anne says:

I am extremly thrilled of this news, not because I eat meat ( I am vegan) but because for those that do not give up on the taste of meat and so many innocent animals are dying for the sake of those people. Thank you and thank you. I hope we can stop the animal slaughter and this method to be placed in grocery stores for people to buy. Wow!