Something ‘You Oughta Know’: Alanis Morissette Is Vegan!

Written by PETA | January 2, 2009
toppayingideas / CC
Alanis Morissette

There’s nothing “ironic” about this: Music superstar Alanis Morissette has gone vegan and is feeling better than ever. According to OK, the always-trim Alanis eventually found herself overweight and unhappy less than a year ago because of all the processed food she’d been eating. So, being the smart and fab lady she is, she turned to a book titled Eat to Live which covers the many health benefits of a vegan diet.

After Alanis went vegan, she lost 20 pounds and looks more stunning and healthy than ever. She’s also proud to show off her new body and even says, “I’m back to what I was born to be, at my best. … I feel very alive. … I have no more aches and pains, and my allergies are gone, too.”

Well Amen to that! I’ve always loved Alanis, especially since Jagged Little Pill came out, and now I hope she can inspire others to take a look at their dinner plates and make the healthy and compassionate decision.

And hey, you know what the next step is, don’t you? We’re all on pins and needles hoping she’ll bare some skin for a sexy veggie testimonial. Fingers crossed, y’all!

Written by Christine Doré

Comments

• Linda says:

@ Julian: How do you know? Has she said so?

• JULIAN LUKACS says:

ALANIS STARTED EATING SALMON AND EGGS BECAUSE SHE IS PREGNANT. SHE WILL CONTINUE HER VEGAN LIFESTYLE AFTER SHE GIVES BIRTH TO HER CHILD.

• Linda says:

She’s not vegan at all. Just posted a photo on her site of her eating Salmon and Eggs. Not even a vegetarian.

• Vegan says:

Another great vegan band with AR songs “True Nature” http://www.myspace.comxTrueNaturexMusic

• Gina says:

Alanis Morissette has always been one of my favorite female artists. There was no mention that she did it for the animals only her weight health. So I hope she also took that into consideration that she plans to stay a vegan for life. I’m a true vegatarian but I’ve found that though I try my best being a vegan is harder. There are so many products with hidden ingredients. I can’t say for sure whether animal derived products have accidently passed through my lips. I would love to find a good egg substitute. The stuff in cartons is 99 egg so I don’t eat any eggs but kind of miss it for muffin mixes brownies baking. I use apple butter as a substitute ok but not great.

• Mike Quinoa says:

bbr Eating vegetarian or vegan need not be expensive. You can find all you require at standard grocery and bulk food stores. If you buy inseason fruits and vegetables they are reasonably priced. Buying whole grains in bulksuch as hard wheat berries steelcut oat groats barley brown rice spelt etc.also is not costly. Cellopacked or canned kidney beans chick peas soy beans and lentils are dirtcheap. Soy milk tofu and nuts and seeds cost a bit more but certainly no more than a comparable meat purchase. If you go into a health food store you will most likely pay more but that shouldn’t be necessary.

• Heather Hodgson says:

BBR I feel your pain. Yes it can be difficult to be vegetarian when it comes to social situations but many restaurants are at least willing to try to accomodate. For example for New Year’s a group of friends and I went out to eat. It was an expensive restuarant with only 8 choices on the menu. I had the waitress talk to the chef and they were able to prepare their Lobster fra diavolo without the Lobster and substituted the seafood base with a vegetable one. Yes it can be VERY uncomfortable to make such requests in front of your firends and family but just think about the good you’re doing!

• bbr says:

that’s great for her. it’s also nice when you are somewhat rich or wealthy and can AFFORD to eat that way. Most people are extremely busy and do not have time to learn and then prepare vegan meals. It is touch enough to find enough foods to get at the grocery store that don’t have meat or chicken added in. I went to an italian resteraunt for a family birthday and 99 of the dishes had chicken sausage or beef in them. I think PETA also has to realize that vegetarian foods are more expensive. You can say they aren’t but they certainly are. I am vegetarian but it is certainly difficult.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Congrats to Alanis! Eat To Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman is certainly one of the musthave books for any veghead’s wellstocked library.

• Stephane LeClair says:

I was happy to learn that one of the most talented female singersongwriter out there is veganwhich means she should live even longer and record more albums of deep meaningful songs. http://www.myspace.comstephaneleclair vegetarian singersongwriter and animal rightsworld peace activist.

• Kelly says:

Awesome! She looks great!