SMILES Time

Written by PETA | November 29, 2007
smiles_fries.jpg

Here’s a blog that I’ve been pushing Amy at our VegCooking blog to write since the idea of having a PETA food blog was still in its infancy. Amy, however, is against processed foods. I’ve been hoping Amy would go on vacation, or be sick, or something so that I could fill in for her on her blog, but I’ll have to settle for posting on The PETA Files while Jack is out.

This is a blog to spotlight the glory of McCain’s SMILES fries. According to McCain’s web site, “Mealtime is fun time with McCain SMILES® Fun Shaped Potatoes. Everyone enjoys these fun shaped potatoes that add fun and excitement to everyone’s meal!” And you know what—they aren’t lying! Sure, I love French fries as much as the next guy, but there’s just no denying that SMILES fries are like French fries deep fried in fun.

SMILES, like basically all fries, are vegan and that’s how I’m justifying writing about them on PETA’s blog. Take that, Amy!

Another food I really like is Vans’ vegan waffles.

- Joel Bartlett

P.S. Feel free to comment about how you think I’m a better blogger than Jack and Amy.

P.P.S. Don’t worry Amy, when you’re out someday I’ll post SMILES recipes on the VegCooking Blog.

Comments

• www.peta.org says:

SMILES Time.. Neat :)

• Lisa says:

I was expecting him to burst through the waffle wall and yell “oh yeah” like koolaid man…maybe I just watch too much family guy..

• Mike Quinoa says:

Rojo We already have some humancentric technologies in place. Microdosing for example is the administration of a minute quantity of a drug to a human and then observation of their subsequent reaction if any before an increase of dose. Medicine has to move away from unpredictable animal tests and toward testing that takes into account our own unique genetic makeup. Or thousands of humans will continue to die from adverse drug reactions to animal tested and approved drugs. Seems like a nobrainer.

• rojo says:

Komul you could hit the contact Jack button at the top of this page if noone has a better idea. Have you thought about why drugs would be tested on animals. I personally think it’s a bit risky for humans to take new drugs straight from the chemical lab. Could they cause birth defects? Have side effects? Cause respitorycardiac failure? Granted you wouldn’t want to be the mouserabbitdog… but what could the consequences be to people if animal testing isn’t possible.

• Michele says:

Komul that’s awesome about the petition. If you need facts to back it up check out the book “Sacred Cows and Golden Geese” it’s about how animal testing actually harms humans. Mike Q I continue to thank you for recommending that one to me so many months ago I just got “Specious Science” last week but have not had much opportunity to really get into it yet hopefully there will be some quiet time this weekend for good reading

• Caboose says:

No No Michele I know what ur doing and I respect that but I dont want to be a sheep.

• Komul says:

hey!!! im under 13 and my health teacher was talking about drugs and good medicine and bad medicine! then i heard him say “That most scientists and doctors test their drugs on animals!” and i didn’t think it was fair so i got together a petition and during my lunch period i got many people to sign it! right now i have 66 people! my goal is at least 200! i wanted to know that when i was finished if i could send it to this site but i don’t know! can someone tell me how!

• Ana says:

Ariel There are various its but all are idiots who relish participating in all that is cruel to the other animals. Stay well!

• Mars says:

Not exactly Caboose. Just stating the reason why I for one have not had time to be here as was being questioned.

• Abi says:

Yay I like Joel better.

• Michele says:

Caboose you seem to be someone who is perhaps “on the fence” when it comes to animal rights. What would it take to help you see what we see when it comes to protecting animals?

• Caboose says:

Mars WTF? Right now its about SMILES not hunting.

• Mars says:

” And for some reason there doesn’t seem to be much interferring “static”…so far.” Trapping and hunting season!

• Caboose says:

Ariel I say again is “it” Mars?

• Ariel says:

Hi Ana! Oh definitely IT will be back! I think ITS taking a little break only to make new copies of ITS worn out “cut and pastes.” Either that or trying to think of new stupid things to write! LOL

• Anonymous says:

I’ve always hated those things for whatever reason.

• Caboose (Combine Slayer) says:

Ana u mean that bastard mars?

• Ana says:

Ariel Give it time its will be here soon enough. LOL! Take care!

• Ariel says:

Hi JOEL! I think you are doing a GREAT job! I really appreciate the topics you presented which allowed for other ara’s to share great info! And for some reason there doesn’t seem to be much interferring “static”…so far.

• Jessica says:

My mom got those once. I’m still not sure if I find them cute or creepy…

• Joan says:

I agree Vans waffles are the best !

• mlo says:

where can I get some???

• Michael J Caboose (I babies) says:

These kickass fries are also served over at Chic filla.

• Jaclyn says:

Joel Joel Joel…

• Patty says:

I agree Smiles are delicious.

• Carla says:

Smiles Fries to go with my Vegenaise Wonderful!!