Shocking New Kosher Slaughterhouse Investigation

Written by PETA | July 10, 2007

Three years ago, we went inside AgriProcessors slaughterhouse—the world’s largest Kosher slaughterhouse—and uncovered close to 300 instances of inhumane slaughter. Workers at that slaughterhouse were ripping the tracheas out of fully conscious cows and watching them writhe in pools of their own blood. As usual when we uncover this kind of abuse, the company hemmed and hawed and tried to pretend that we were making a big deal out of nothing, but despite their unwillingness to accept responsibility for their actions, we had hoped that the widespread public outrage would convince the company that, even among meat-eaters, the treatment of farmed animals is a matter of serious concern that directly affects the bottom line of organizations which refuse to take it seriously. In 2006, the owners of AgriProcessors opened a new kosher slaughterhouse, Local Pride, in Gordon, Nebraska. Sadly, as this video shows, little has been done to help mitigate the suffering of the animals who pay the price for corporate greed. Click here to learn more. And if you’re unable to get all the way through this video without wincing, you can take a pledge to try out vegetarianism here.

Comments

• clive says:

im not a veg but any animal slaughterd in that way is very wrong indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

• Amber Simone says:

i’m soo Sad that anyone could do such a thing! This is just crewl!

• Wiveke says:

Poor Cows I Hate humans!

• amy zacahry says:

people should stop eating animals.everone should go green and help save animals

• Jasmine says:

Ive never really thought about this whole PETA thing..the only time i had ever heard of them was when i was watching an episode of South Park and they were making fun of them. Ever since then ive found out that PETA is very popular. I was watching a CRUEL video about the cat and dog slaughters in China…i litterally started to cry. And then i watched this video and showed it to my mom…bcause it was so unbelievable! All she could say was “yea i know i used to work in one of those. Everyone eats that stuff its for food. We do it to survive.” She was so heartless about it! I told her that only stupid and sick people wouldnt care about what was going on. From this point on im a vegetarion! And im gonna promote and support PETA as much as i can!!!

• Lena says:

I managed to watch ten seconds before I understood what actually happened to this poor animal. I only hope that one day people will realize that this is wrong and stop animal cruelty

• phil says:

i am sickened and horrifid to watch the slow slaughter of a living breathing creature that has feelings and emotions it makes my feelings on humanity lower then what i already think of our society and those men and other men like that i sure hope they will meet there maker and explain what they did to those poor animals being killed in the most cruel ways

• marleny says:

acabo de ver videos de esta naturaleza y estoy totalmente indignada y dolida !! ayudemos a estos indefensos animales de gente tan bruta y enferma de poder !!!

• Ashish Shah says:

Similar things are happening in Deonar Slaughter house in Mumbai. can PETA support us in protesting such activities in deonar slaughter house in Mumbai?

• Britney says:

This upsets me so much it makes me want the same to happen to those people.

• Diane says:

This is disturbing on so many levels. They don’t have any sympathy whatsoever for a living breathing creature that obviously feels pain.

• Jessica says:

This is sickening. That cow is in so much pain that I can’t stand to watch the video. Those people are barbaric.

• Ciara says:

When I watched this video I was completely disgusted. Why would they do this? What have the cows done to them? It was so sad that I cried for about 5 minutes.

• mike says:

I watched a video that showed this barbarity. Those poor animals are in agonizing pain…its sickening…what’s even more sickening is the lack of empathy on the part of those monsters doing the butchering…Prior to watching the video I’d been under the assumption that some sort of stunning technique was used to induce brain death before cutting the cows throat…but i guess the kosher method requires prolonged excrutiating pain…what else do you expect from such a barbaric religious ritual.

• Bonnie Hinds says:

After reading all the feelings that so many people share as deeply as I do. What I want to know is who and or what is going to be done to stop this. We can cry and sign petitions and pray they all go to hell. They’ve done it wrong. Who has the authority to stop these acts? WHO WHEN. What will it take? Begging pleading. I’ve done this cried pleaded for faith to stop this for legislators to change the laws. No one has an answer for me. Sadly I could do this to those who do it to the ones who cannot speak for themselves and not lose a moments sleep. Which makes me no better than them. So after everyone reads all these painful messages. STILL WHAT IS ANYONE GOING TO DO? IF THESE COWS WERE HUMANS this would not be allowed. So why is allowed? I woke up during surgery but open and no anesthetic. NOBODY deserves thatand it was a mistake. This is all intentional and it appears clearly to me that as long as it continues just lip service and a way to get money to pay someone to stop this. Paying to have a wrong made right? You tell me how to stop this and I will. I’ll go to jail I’ll face the needle I’ll stand before God and ask Him what the hell He was thinking. This is not free will this is what the judicial system is forto put criminals in prison to pay for crimes. The fact that it is an animal a different speciesmakes it no less of a crime. SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT IS GOING TO BE DONE TO STOP THIS HORRIFIC ACT? And why it is allowed to continue. They suffer so do we.

• Tom says:

Cry…cover my face…cry…cover my face…bawl and collapse to my knees and ask Why?! Why?! Why?! Why?! These poor helpless animals! This is unacceptable!!! And to think this happens every day in slaughterhouses! Cry more.

• Angela says:

I pray these people killing these poor animals get theirs in the afterlife

• Hades says:

SICK PRICKS!!! I hope they will die slowly in 5 min! poor animals

• laura says:

i am really fking upset by this video animals do nothing to us and we are putting them though this it is not very fair at all at least i am doing something about it i have been a veggie for 2 years and i need more people to become one as well so this does not happen to animals all the time.

• nico says:

i just cant understand how a so called human being can treat an animal this way i only hope they burn in hell for that treatment that is so called humane slaughter what a crock of shit!!!!! if thats humane i would hate to see non humane how the hell would you like to walk around for 5 minutes with a ripped out trachea and feel that pain why i only ask why god is this treatment aloud??? please make it stop please god hear our prayers for these innocent souls you created why must they suffer in such a horrific way who is really the animal here???????

• Not a vegeterian says:

I half expect this comment not to go through PETA’s censorship but I write it in hopes that it will. The cutting you see there is very badly done and they clearly did not cut the vital veins and arteries that supply and drain blood from the head. Had they done that the cow would have lost consciousness in under half a minute. Instead it looks like the cow is still able to breathe through it’s sever trachea and is slowly bleeding from less important blood vessels. This is definitely not your typical halalkosher slaughter and this should never have happened.

• Anonymous says:

People seem to be reacting specifically to the fact that this is JEWISH ritual slaughter. This video is NOT how it’s supposed to be done! I urge you not to make a difference between Jews that eat meat and nonJews that eat meat. If you’ve seen other PETA videos you’ll know that the mass slaughter of animals for the masses who are mainly not Jewish is terribly inhumane. Vegetarianism is very prevalent amongst Jews. Values such as social justice and compassion are highly highly stressed. There is so much more to the Jewish people and to Judaismdon’t let this be your only window! Don’t let this video fuel antisemitism!

• Michelle says:

I am conpletely and utterly disguisted by this barbaric treatment of animals!!!! I did not realize how inhumane these slaughterhouses are!!! I have never seen anything like this before!!! I have just come across this information in the last 2 weeks and I am now a Vegan!!! God do not put these animals on this earth to be treated like this and I am NOT going to stand for this anymore!!!! I am going to do everything in my power to try and stop this unhumane treatment even if it means jailtime. I am so glad that organizations like PETA that are doing all they can to put a stop to this barbaric treatment!!! These slaughterhouse workers obviously have no consciences whatsoever!!! They are horrible sick individuals with whom I will never forgive for treating animals so horribly!!! Someday these people will have to stand before Almighty God answer for what they have done!!!! I believe that there is a “Hell” and it is for these horrible slaughterhouse workers and many others who violate mutilate humilate etc. poor innocent animals and human beings alike!!!!!! I have so much anger and rage for these sick people that I have to pray to God everyday to keep me on track and calm because I am tortured by these images that I have seen but it’s nothing compared to what God’s beautiful creatures go through everyday!!! God bless all vegetarians and vegans the PETA group and everyone else out there that is trying to protect these beautiful animals!!!!!

• Veronica says:

I couldn’t bring myself to watch the video. Animal slaughterfactory farms didn’t come to my attention until this week when a semitruck load of chickens passed me on the interstate on my way home from work. I had never gave it a thought until I seen those poor chickens in teeny cages with no food or water and they were stacked on one another to defecate on one another and had no protection from the weathernoisepollution on the highway. I swore at that moment that I would never EVER eat another chicken. It is good to see that there are other people that care about animals. I don’t see how anyone can treat animals like they have no feelingpainfear. How can they sleep at night? I couldn’t sleep the night I seen that truck pass by me.

• Jambrina Sakellaropoulo says:

Gut wrenching horror. All hope for a better world disappears when witnessing the agony inflicted to animals by these executioners. No words exist to describe the satanic evil within these subhumans.

• rojo says:

If kosher and halal still requires bleedout before slaughter they should approve electrical stunning of the animal. I cannot understand why stunning is not allowed in these “ritual” slaughters. The Islamic council of Australia approve stunning so perhaps those requiring Halal meat source it from Australia. In this day and age there is no reason an animal should suffer unnecessarily.

• romino says:

i understand that these underdogs are rascals but there is something else which i don’t understand who made this rascal law that such a dreadful crime is possible????????

• the undertaker says:

since i saw this i cannot get my grove back at the last judgement day i shall ask it from you hellish kosher butchers and may you burn in hell and be sure i shall come to find you there for to cause you more trouble! i have a good memory!

• Delores says:

The people that do this to the animals are NOT HUMAN them selves. As anyone with even a little compassion could do this to a an animal that cannot even try and fight back.If they feel they MUST kill it…do it quickly so the Poor Animal does not suffer ! ! !

• Bert says:

I cannot believe what I just so. Is it possible that some people are so inhumane? What kind of name are they giving to the meat eating community. Horrible. I am glad I am not a Jew and I do not have to eat kosher. Scumbags!!!

• Ammar says:

I’m a muslim and our society is also bleeding animals. for this i’m 100 pct veg! i’m a voluntary in a jewisharab peace making group and already human issues are difficult here but we got many animal friends who are horrified of what they saw here! we say this is neither kosher nor hallal this is a big shame and many of us here have decided to go vegetarian from today on! we shall spread the message and encourage people to follow our wise ancesters Al Ghazali Ibn Arabi Maimonides Isaac Luria Moses de Leon and last but not least Albert Einstein who told us that the vegetarian lifestyle could change the face of this earth and turn it into a planet of peace!

• silent tongue says:

this abominable animal torture makes my life miserable and from the reaction of socalled ‘normal’ average people and governments i fear that we are still miles away from being really civilized humans but it will take other hundred thousands of years of evolution fact is human misbehaviour is the best proof for the evolution theory! if there would be no evolution the human being would actually remain what it is a ferocious beast with just instinct and no feelings! my only hope is that such undercover videos make many vegetarians and thanks to the restless work of the PETATeam which daily has to suffer these atrocities life in order to make us partake them and for to be called ‘extremists’ by underdeveloped individuals. Furthermore how is it that space science wants to search contact with extraterrestrians when humanity is not even able or willing to understand the feelings of animals and plants! so we are millions of light years away from real development and i fear that if the trend goes in the actual direction that the day shall come when mother earth will not bear this human species anymore before it is actually developed! don’t let me see that day! In african savannah i saw lions killing their prey they catch it by the throat and it lasts 30 seconds to it’s death. so the lion is the real king and crown in the animal kingdom and not man because man can only kill by causing real agony and pain! so mankind has to be vegetarian or it remains a beast of lower species!

• Sergio Fontana says:

He who kills a bull is as if he slays a man He who sacrifices a lamb as if he breaks a dogs neck… Just as they have chosen their own ways And their soul delights in their abomination So will I choose their misfortune and bring their fears on them! ISAIAH 6634

• kris shulfer says:

once again i am stunned and could not believe my eyes and ears the noises that they make as they are dying…. it reminded me of this one time i hit a deer i live in Wisconsin and did not kill it so i had to call the sheriffs department and it made horrible noises i just sat on the side of the road with it and petted her and cried and i knew she would not live she couldnt walk and was hurt badly so once the sheriff arrived i asked could you please wait until I am gone before… so i kissed the deer while listening to her make those horrifying noises like the cows make i cried all the way home and it took me a very long time to forgive myself although it was an accident… just brought back sad times just thought i would share!!

• RAGE AGAINST RASCALS says:

this kind of humans are responsible for my misanthropy!!!!!!!!!!!

• iron horse says:

these hellish kosher blood sucker saints deserve to be put in a scumbag together with the deathly hallows of mepkin abbey and thrown into the niagara falls where they may rest in peace!

• highland says:

dear jack i know the others were to hard but please put this one fear of death is the most horrible feeling which exists in this world and it is common to animals and humans! what i see here in this report is deeply hurting and insulting me and i ask myself and God for how long shall this continue and i’m sitting here and writing and crying and surely this night i shall not sleep! thank you butchers for this present i shall never forget you and your actions may GOD repay!

• animal fighter says:

the only thing i can ad this is evil the heart of darkness!

• Maureen says:

To watch this video makes me ashamed to belong to the same race of beings who partake in this ghastly barbarity directly or indirectly. They must be devoid of compassion I can think of no other explanation. Anybody who is sickened by this video should remember what Leonardos Da Vinci wrote 500 years ago “I have from an early age abjured the use of meat and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men” “Truly man is the King of beasts for his brutality exceeds theirs. We live by the death of others We are burial places!”

• Ana says:

I am vegan for many years but each and every time I see such a video where the animals are slaughtered I burst into tears. This is just too painful to watch and for the animals to bear. If you have not considered eliminating animals from your meals please consider a veggie diet after watching this video. No creature deserves to be slaughtered in any fashion but this manner is even more revolting and even more gruesome and painful and cruel. I have no time for any belief system that cannot recognize that the slaughter of animals is neither spiritual nor moral.

• bluebird says:

after seeing this i hope that the end of this world comes quickly!!!!!!!!!!

• Sacred Cause says:

I’m completely outraged and distroid by this horrible misdeed!

• rat king says:

are these humans doing this to animals or are these animals doing this to living beings??????????

• claudia marrapodi says:

about this new crime i’m deeply concerned i despise such humans because they are lower than dust!

• tulsi das says:

ancient hindu culture shows really to be superior to such a horrific abuse in western and near east ‘civilization’! and they also say ‘the one who kills and tortures the cow as the milk giving mother and the bull as the earth ploughing father shall suffer in as many lifes as a cow has hair on her back! i hope for these torturers here that it comes true!

• RAGE AGAINST RASCALS says:

This shocking criminal abuse is absolutely intolerable it is not civilized it is not religious and I completely doubt that any normally developed human being can approve something like this! Shame on these low creatures doing such a shameful thing to animals! I really regret to live on this planet and to belong to human species. This abomination provokes an outcry in every rightous heart! This is not Kosher this is Kriminal!!!!!! And I mean what I’m saying just I want to see the next antiblogger posting here he shall be welcome!

• Australian says:

I was incredibly shocked and horrified when I saw this video that I could’nt bear to watch the whole thing. I am a vegetarian myself and I encourage anyone out there to be a veg themselves. Give it a go people! Save the planet loose weight and have a spring onion in your step!

• Stevie says:

I saw this for the first time while watching the movie Earthlings. Not only was it one of the most disturbing things in that movie among too many others but it is what turned my husband and I into full fledged vegans. I’ve compared it to The Matrix. Once you’ve taken the red pill there is no going back to life as you once knew it. How can you go back to living the same life after watching this and knowing it goes on everyday? cry

• Judith, Freedom Fighter says:

I read this yesterday on PETA. Even though I have watched many of these dvd’s and watched everything about this horrific so called practice this brought me to my knees. I sent this to everyone I know. Those emails that where sent back to me that said we do not want to watch this. It will upset us. For the first time in my life I told them never email me or speak to me again for I have supported so many of the groups you believe in I have sent money to many of your groups but please know that this cash cow has now dried up. Well that was a real upset. At least 80 emailed me back telling me they will do anything they can to help but I told them PROVE THIS TO ME….. I am still not ready to speak to any of these so called friends and maybe I never will. Judith