A Shelter Dog for the Bidens Too?

Written by PETA | November 6, 2008
latimes / CC
Joe Biden

When the Obamas first announced that they would be bringing a dog into their family at the end of the election, we all hoped that they would choose to adopt a rescue dog—and whaddaya know, our hopes were realized when Michelle Obama confirmed that the family would go the mutt-friendly route. And hey, what’s a better example for the rest of the nation than to have a rescue as the “first dog”?

Hmm … what about having another rescue as the “second dog”? See, Senator Biden’s wife promised him that they could welcome a “big dog” into their family if he were elected. She even taped pictures of dogs to the seats in his campaign plane to inspire him! This means that now that Senator Biden is officially the vice president-elect, he and Jill will start looking for the right dog to join their family. May we, again, suggest a rescue dog? There are some pretty big mutts out there, senator!

That’s what PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk has written in a letter to the Bidens—that the vice president-elect would be doing a great thing for animals by bringing another rescue dog to Washington. A home for a needy dog and another example for all Americans to follow? Sounds great to us. Click here to read Ingrid’s full letter.

Written by Amanda Schinke

Comments

• Jason 'Great White' (Shark) says:

GREAT! I heard that Jeo Biden and his family have a dog did that dog come from adoption? I sure hope both Mr. Obama and his family will chose dog that will get along with Jeo Biden and his family’s dog. Also if the above is true then I hope the twodogs are given alot of time to spend with each other.

• NotBuyingIt! says:

Beatiful letter PETA! Thank you for standing up for the weakest once again!

• joanna says:

Janis What my post pertained to was that some pure bred dogs are just fine and healthy and people who are against breedersAKCpuppymills should be considerate and not bash pure bred dogs in general. Go ahead and bash breeders just don’t put all this blame on the animals. It can never be the dogs fault that he is pure bred mixed bred or whatever. It is not the dogs fault if he’s sick damaged by cruelty negelected or vicious. Focus on the problem not the victim.

• Bunnylove says:

Thank you Marion for that address.I wrote it down on an envelope just now and will be writing my letter today!

• John Diaz says:

Leave these people alone and let them pick the dog they want. Big small cute ugly young old pure breed or mixed breed it’s their choice.

• Janis says:

Joanna or should I say Miss Dog Breeder the dogs that have all the problems are coming from the PUPPY MILLS and AKC breeders thanks to inbreeding. Look it up. Learn something new. Health checks don’t stop the problems of inbreeding and EVERY purebred dog is inbred. It’s how they make the breeds However dog breeders who want to sell dogs say that “shelter dogs have problems” Shame on you!

• Marion says:

Hi everyone Let’s really come together to get the message out Any companion animal of any age breed disposition etc. that is hypoallergenic an issue for the Obamas can be adopted from a shelter. Let’s begin a letterwriting campaign to the Obamas and to the Bidens to continue to encourage them to adopt not buy! Here’s the address for both The Honorable Senator Barack Obama or Joseph Biden United States Senate 201 Russell Senate Office Building Washington D.C. 20510

• stray says:

to joanna who said she went to a breeder for her second dog HOW DARE YOU! That means a perfectly find dog in a shelter died because you needed papers. That’s disgusting. Not all shelter dogs have health problems but you didn’t even bother to check. Buying from a breeder is disgustingly irresponsible in a world where millions die in shelters. You should be ashamed to be so conceited.

• Tracey Mustain says:

i have a special fondness for shelties temperament activity level etc. and got my last one at a sheltie rescue. i don’t think ingrid is imply that “mutts” are more worthy than pure bred dogs but they have a harder time finding a home. no dog deserves to be homeless!

• lynda downie says:

Great letter Ingrid! I hope the Bidens take it to heart and get their big dog at a shelter.

• drew says:

How about calling on them to ask to adopt a dog from Huntington Life Sciences or another vivisection hellhole? I’ll feel good about these people only if I see them get up in front of the public and show the graphic truth and really work to stop the horrors. I want to see some real insight here some real change we need. Let’s ask for more than just adopting a dog from a shelter instead of a pet store. They can go further than that. Those dogs at HLS and elsewhere are real feeling beings that feel fear and pain and need love and care and a family. In fact how about some pigs and rabbits and others saved straight from various hells on earth? Let’s get some real Change here. I want to see some real progress that is outside the typical box! Pet dog from a shelter is still not breaking any walls down. We need more! We want real hope here!

• Linda says:

I hope Oprah gets in their ears too and ensures they both go the mixed breedshelter route. She’s a recent convert after she did the puppy mill story but I think she is a convert now. If these guys do rescue it will save literally millions animals lives down the road.

• Grant says:

I think it’s a mistake to imply that shelter dogs are always going to be “mutts” as PETA does in this letter… Some people like particular dog breeds and they should be aware that they can almost ALWAYS find the specific breed they want in a shelter.

• NANCY N says:

I JUST KNEW THE CURRENT ELECTION WOULD BE GOOD LUCK FOR THE SHELTER BABIES. SO HAPPY. IT IS A GOOD BEGINNING. “YES WE CAN” OUR PROP 2 PASSED SO OUR ANIMALS ARE GETTING THE BEST LIKE THEY DESERVE.

• stacy maruschak says:

Thank you for considering a rescue May I suggest please a greyhound. we have rescued 2 and so happy to see that states are realizing that racing should be eliminated. want a big dog with a big heart please consider a grey. you wont regret it!!!!

• Rebecca says:

Im soooo glad that the Obamas are going to get a rescue for a pet! When I heard Barack tell his girls that they were going to get a puppy I immediately hoped that he would get them a shelter pup. I mean what’s more American than giving a second chance to a rescue!

• kelly says:

I hope the Obamas and Bidens wwere not just doing the politics as usual thing and speaking falsely about adopting. Remember that Hillary Clinton isisted that they were going to adopt a dog when Bill got into the White House but then some friend gave them a chocolate lab from a sleazy breeder. So no adoption. Obama and Biden claimed they were for “change.” Well here’s a great opportunity to move away from the elitist right wing breeder industry.

• joanna says:

Ingrid’s letter says they should get a mixed breed dog. I think the most important thing is they get a dog they like and that can adjust to their lifestyle and live happily in the home they can provide. Things like coat size age temperment and exercise requirements are important. If a person likes a particular breed or a particular mixed breed and they can find a worthy dog through rescue to adopt then why shouldn’t they have it? PETA thinks only mixed breed dogs deserve to be adopted? That’s like saying if I am from an all Italian family that I am not as worthy as person who is a mix of Irish Spainish and African. A dog is a dog and should not be blamed for their heritage…and don’t start on the pure bred dogs are all sick. My rescued mixed breed hound dog is a complete mess. I love him dearly but his allergies bad teeth and low thyroid have been a real challenge to care for. I rescued him becuase nobody else would be bothered to care for him with all his health issues. When I went to get a second dog I chose a breeder that could provide proof they had completed thorough health tests on both parents prior to breeding. He has had no health problems. Which dog is better? Neither I love them equally.

• Kelly says:

That would be great! And for the rest of us let’s not forget all of the needy kitty cats out there we have two rescue cats…one from the shelter and one adopted off the street.

• Jess says:

What a sweet story. What wonderful people too for opening their hearts and homes to a shelter dog. Looks like Biden has something else to be proud about!

• SASHA says:

This is great to hear. Make sure to keep us posed on this.