Sealers Trapped on the Ice in Newfoundland

Written by PETA | April 19, 2007

I could seriously sit here all day trying to muster up sympathy for these guys and not succeed. Since that’s probably not going to happen, I’ll just give you the details of the story instead (I will make every effort not to be gleeful about it). Apparently, more than 100 seal-hunting boats became trapped in an ice-pack yesterday and are still waiting for help from Canada’s Coast Guard icebreakers. The London Times reported on the story this morning, and you can read more about that here. Maybe a couple of days waiting to get rescued will give them some time to reflect on the large-scale misery they had been planning on inflicting over the next few weeks. Here’s a picture of the boats trapped in the ice fields, which, as much as being stuck in inclement weather probably sucks, it doesn’t even begin to compare with the horrors these profiteers had in store for their victims.

Sealers.jpg

Comments

• steve says:

hey drummer… you’re right i won’t dare challenge your superior vegetarian intellect because you might be the only person who understands what you just wrote….

• Michele says:

So Steve it’s okay to justify a particular behaviour in order to “make a living”? Hmmmm I guess that means that I could start a business that involves skinning humans alive and selling the resulting “leather” to make boots or purses. Or I could make a living recruiting child labourers for those who want to make cheap products to sell to unsuspecting tourists. I’m sure I could get a pretty good commission. What about if I became a firefighter then deliberately set fires to give myself and others plenty of work to earn a living? I guess it would not matter if I ended up killing humans or other animals in the meantime because of course I was only trying to earn a living. Wow Steve you could go on a shooting spree then write a book from jail and make piles of money! That would be a really creative way of making a living. You still think that earning a living is a way to justify animal torture? I wish you had to become a test subject for a cosmetics company and had to have chemicals poured into your eyes. You obviously have ZERO compassion. And by the way intelligent people recognize that PETA and other activists are not trying to run their lives they realize that people who speak up for animals or others who cannot speak for themselves children or those with brain injuries for example are trying to make the world a better place. PETA wants to end animal suffering if that means that someone has to find a line of work that does not cause harm to animals so be it.

• kris shulfer says:

I CANNOT STOP SMILING!!! YOU GET OUT OF THE WORLD WHAT YOU PUT IN AND THESE CRUEL PEOPLE PUT BAD AND LOOK AT THEM NOW!! I HOPE THERE STUCK A WHILE TO THINK IS THIS WORTH IT!!! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO! SOMEONE HAS FINALLY HEARD OUR CRYS FOR HELPING THESE GORGEOUS LIL ONES!!! THANK YOU TO MY HIGER POWER!!! AND TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE DONE WONDERFUL THINGS TO HELP STOP THIS CRUSADE FOR THE BABIES!!

• Kelley says:

Does anyone have an update on this story? How many boats were destroyed? Are they still stuck in the ice I hope?

• Little Drummer Boy says:

steve because of malignant spirits like you I can’t get off because animals need me and also people because you are one of those wolves in a lamb’s pelt who would rather maintain the institution of death penalty than to make the executioner loose his job. But be sure I’ve got your number these kind of transparent characters I met in multiple life situations. And referring to your remarks of the ‘intelligent public’ you are surely not one of them because the whole intelligentia of the planet was and is vegetarian. I hope from today’s veg you know at least some of them but allow me to name some of our ancestors from whom I studied the works they left for us Plato Sokrates Euripides Empedokles Seneca Ovid Leonardo Da Vinci Victor Hugo Colette George Sand Voltaire Cavour Romain Rolland George Bernard Shaw Richard Wagner Nieztsche Virginia Woolf Freud C.G. Jung Hermann Hesse Marc Twain Shelley Milton Tizian Van Gogh Rembrandt Albert Einstein Joseph von Goerres Upton Sinclair Leo Tolstoi Dostojewski and so on and so on this is the real world and you are living in a shadow you see I know them all but I am very sure you do not know one of them because from your reactions you betray yourself being a zero. I want to answer you also in German Du bist ein ganz dummer Mann schaeme dich and in French honte a toi petit garcon tu ne connais rien in italien sei uno stronzo sai devi prima imparare qualche cosa e poi criticare gli altri in spanish eres un hombre muy tonto que no conoce nade de la vida cojon do you want some greek or arabic you see you have to get up earlier before you challenge me!!!!!!!!!!!!

• steve says:

hey little drummer boy… if you don’t like the world get off of it…. but before you leave us tell me how a murderous lifestyle is forced upon on you.. is that like peta forcing their agenda down the world’s throat…. and to animal fighter death will catch you one day….. gee you really think so…

• Lauren says:

That’s awesome. Hope they are there a while.

• Little Drummer Boy says:

Hey Guys don’t you realize that we are living in a fascist world! They force on us their murderous lifestyle and then they say that we are the fascists fanatics and crazy but I can tell you this The one who wants the world to remain as it is doesn’t want it to remain. Therefore do never trust him even if he pretends to be your friend priest president or spouse he is an untrue lier. As a result from living in this perverted world in which innocent beings like babyseals or any baby animals are tortured to death just for pleasure I decided to support PETA and the Humane Society until my last breath. And now please do not tell me that I am a fanatic or do you think that it’s normal to stub out a zigarette in a calf’s eye as a veterinary told me that it happened in a slaughterhouse where he served for thirty years. And I don’t want to see anymore bad words against PETA on this site because they have the right view on the right place so I am a ‘petaphile’ indeed!

• animal fighter says:

adendum and to my french compatriots i would like to add this it seems that this is your bloody heritage to go out for hunting just for pleasure dirty bunch amuse yourself but don’t forget this death shall catch you one day! il semble que c’est votre hritage ensanglant qui vous pousse dehors   la chasse tout juste pour le plaisir! sale meute rgalezvous mais n’oubliez pas la mort se rgalera un jour de vous! Let’s wait! Here I remember Shania Twains amazing clip to her song Kaching

• animal fighter says:

i just got a disgusting news from the ‘Toronto Star’ which has an article on seal hunt where one of these criminal butchers is stating ‘and we all go out for the love of it rather than the money’! So these underdogs are really sadistic murderers and those ones who always want to make us believe that these ”poor family fathers and sons and brothers are just doing their necessary job” can go out with them on the ice and be a pray of nature too and here is my statement for steve me i wish their death but unfortunately i’m almost sure that once again they shall manage it to run away from justice there is just one justice in the world that not just the animals have to die but that also for every human being one day the bell talls! this is the only justice in this world and i love it!!! pls verify thestar.comnewsarticle205683

• polarbear says:

I have written emailed and protested about this heartless hunt but it falls to deaf ears. Being stranded hopefully made the government aware that it’s not only wrong but dangerous. STOP THE SENSLESS KILLING YOU USELESS MURDERES! IT WILL NEVER BE RIGHT!

• STEVE says:

MICHELE…. I’M MISSING THE POINT…. IN THE REAL WORLD THE MILLIONS OF PEOPLE THAT PETA WANTS TO SEE LOSE THEIR JOBS HAVE TO MAKE A LIVING…. THAT’S THE REAL WORLD WHERE ALL THESE THINGS REALLY DO EXSIST AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO EVEN WITH THE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS THAT PETA WASTES ON TRYING TO ELIMINATE THEM…. CHEAP PUBLICITY STUNTS DO NOT CHANGE THE MINDS OF THE INTELLIGENT PUBLIC WHO DO NOT WANT TO BE TOLD HOW TO RUN THEIR LIVES….

• Cuckoo4tofu (Chelsea D.) says:

“dear cuckoo4tofu and all of other 27 bloggers… i guess that it can be officially stated by reading your comments that all people in the world who deal with animals fisherman butchers farmers furriers circus workers zoo keepers rodeo peopleanimal researchers and etcetc… it would make all of you quite happy if they suffered incredibly slow deaths… this would truly put smiles on all of your faces!!!!!” Basically they should suffer the consequences of their brutal actions and in the case of the sealers getting stuck on the ice the punishment fits the crime. Their intent was to cause suffering on innocent helpless beings for money. These people were not on a noble mission they werent going to bring happiness and peace to the world. Their mission was one of ruthless violence where they were going to bludgeon to death as many baby seals as they could while the mothers look on helplessly and frightened baby seals cry out and desperately try to escape their bloody fate. The sealers let nothing get into their way of slaughtering seals. It took Mother Nature to stop them in their tracks and if the sealers hadnt gotten stuck on the ice some baby seals would have lost their lives. So yes when it comes to merciless people getting their just dessert it does put a smile on my face.

• Michele says:

Steve you really are missing the point. What would make all of us happy is if there were NO zoos animal circuses factory farms slaughterhouses animal tests I dare you to watch video of the Draize test being given to helpless innocent animals hunters anglers rodeos etc in the first place. Then the lives of millions of animals would be spared EVERY DAY. If there were boatloads of people getting stranded after coming back from an expedition of killing slaves child labourers or Jews I think you would feel the same way Steve. Unfortunately because it was “only” some animals who got shot and clubbed to death somehow their lives don’t seem to count with people like you. It is pathetic that many humans still think they are superior to nonhumans. Those humans should be ashamed of themselves…

• Old Spiderwoman says:

The ones who challenge Universe shall drink bitter wine!

• The Minstrel says:

They went out intentioning to kill Therefor innocient seals were slain Cruel acting cursed bad will Now wrecks outthere on ice remain. They are bare of fuel and food The winds grow blowing sharper Surrounded by an empty hood they look out for their lost Harper…

• Sean Miller says:

This iniquity has lasted too long it was really time to set an end this time by Mother Earth herself and I really hope that this was the last time!!!!

• Fred Mendel says:

There was a worldwide outcry and Heaven has heard it

• Canaduck says:

Oh don’t be absurd Steve. I don’t want them to die and I doubt many of the others do either. We’re just angry and sometimes it’s cathartic to celebrate this sort of thing. Anyway like most of these other posters I just want the sealers to realize the error of their ways and if they have to be a little inconvenienced by getting stuck out on the ice well them’s the breaks.

• bertino andre says:

dear steve you officially stated it but you can count anotherone me so we make 29.

• steve says:

• Alan says:

I hope the Canadian Government has to deplete the treasury to bail these scumbags out.

• rondo says:

it’s almost a miracle but i think this time the harpseals shall be save and there shall be an other looser the sealer’s harper!

• Tracy says:

I have been praying for these seals since I heard of this horrifying practice. Justice comes in many forms. Won’t they get a clue? This should be a sign for them to quit!

• earth shall win says:

UBI GAIA EGO GAIUS Where you are Mother Earth I am happy! This time these doomed sealers got a lesson they shall not forget so quickly!

• Maureen says:

Gaia has finally stepped in these cowardly killers should realize that they can only mess around with Nature for so long and one day she will come raging back at her agressors. Long live the seals

• Michelle says:

AAH! That’s Just So Sad! Guess they won’t be huntin’ today. HA!HA! Can’t think of anyone who deserves it more. Now they know how the seals feel when they’re trapped.

• papillon says:

to larry buck like all the other people i would not like to loose my life neither for a person nor for an animal but if i could stop animal suffering worldwide i would give my life in exchange!

• Cuckoo4tofu (Chelsea D.) says:

“to all of you compassionate I love animals more than people petaphiles….. your wishes for slow deaths to the sealers just about says it all…..” Yes it says that sealers are such violent merciless people that they deserve no sympathy. The real victims are the ones whose blood is spilled on the ice when the hunters don’t get trapped.

• Lord of the Apes says:

These butchers who murder these helpless pure creatures these innocent babies who wake up in the morning with the same joy of life like us these butchers don’t deserve life!

• Ana Maria says:

They deserve this and so much more malditos desgracisados y asesinos I really wish they get frozen they heart were already dead anyway.

• Kelley says:

With luck their boats will not only be damaged but totally destroyed! Karma is a bitch isn’t it??

• Charleen says:

I have always believed what goes around comes around…

• Laura says:

I like most of the world am not upset by this. I hope that their boats are severely damaged and they are unable to fish for the rest of the year. I wonder how the Canadians are going to feel once they realize that they subsidize this slaughter are paying to have these butchers rescued and their tax dollars are most likely going to help by these murder’s buy new killng machines. I have no sympathy for these guys and I applaud and love Mother Nature.

• Patricia Hall says:

If there is any justice in the world these sadistic lowlifes will freeze in the bloody waters that they have created. … Have a nice day!

• Caroline says:

Ha ha ha… Couldnt stop laughing The jerks finally got their share! Looks like God himself decided to intervene. Caroline

• Larry Buck says:

give them a break they are just doing their job and trying to feed their families. they are not criminals or murderers or rapists they are people stuck on the ice and have a very good chance of dying. show some sympathy for humans once in a while our well being is more important than anything else. would you sacrifice your life to save an animal life?

• Sandra says:

Isn’t that NOT global warming? Isn’t that the ice taking over? I’m confused. Nonetheless glad it’s happened to them. HAHAHA!

• Susanne says:

Normally I am very pround to be Canadian. When I first saw the boats trapped on the ice I felt bad. Then I realized what boats these are. Hope They freeze in Hell.

• steve says:

• Mike says:

As a Canadian taxpayer I resent my taxes being spent by the Coast Guard to rescue these miscreants. Let them call CAA Canadian Automobile Association if they’re stuck like the rest of us Canucks do. Ha!

• Middlefinger says:

For Mother Nature the human being is a too small fish the Empire strikes back!

• SusanT says:

I appealed to the Universe to intervene on behalf of the seals. Should we apologize for not feeling any sympathy for these brutal cowardly men? I don’t think so. Any human being who could raise a heavy spiketipped club and smash it down on the head of an innocent helpless baby animal again and again deserves NO HUMAN SYMPATHY. If the arrogant Canadian Government refuses to end the seal hunt then nature itself may rise up and stop it for good!

• Cuckoo4tofu (Chelsea D.) says:

Ha Ha…The time has finally come when Global Warming bites the sealers in the ass! And they say Global Warming isn’t real…

• Canaduck says:

Haha nice.

• Sarah says:

I guess global warming is having one positive effect……

• Jaclyn says:

That picture has put a smile upon my face. I’m afraid this will only delay the misery they are about to inflict upon beautifulbeautiful animals.

• 2000 says:

After a long time tonight I shall sleep well!

• rat king says:

these criminals deserve to freeze on the ice! no return for them!

• Quwen Qyiz says:

Oh that picture truly made my day. Thanks Jack!