Is the Seal Slaughter Over?

Written by PETA | June 15, 2010

Good news: Canada’s annual commercial seal slaughter ended last night—and more than 80 percent of the seals who had been marked for death were spared this year.

Thanks to a huge PETA push and the hard work of caring people like you, worldwide demand for seal fur is plummeting. We worked to get the European Union to ban the sale of seal products, and the U.S. Senate unanimously passed U.S. Senate Resolution 84, which calls for an end to the annual slaughter. There are few places left for sealers to sell these wretched pelts.

But we must keep up the fight until Canada stops the slaughter altogether, and that means year-round pressure! PETA has big plans to do just that. And you can help by staying active online and in your local community. Let’s stop this barbaric massacre forever.

Written by Paula Moore

Comments

• Anita says:

Yahooooooooo! so happy…good job to everyone who helped!

• Tucker says:

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA FOR THE SEALS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SOOOSOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!! HIPHIPHORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS THE SEALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Michele Tusinac says:

I don’t know what to say… I am so angry disgusted and in emotional pain about how cruel this act is that I can’t write anymore. Please I’m begging stop this horrific practice of killing seals. Thank you.

• Gizele says:

Thank you God and PETA! Good job! I am so happy!

• kathryn kidd says:

I can’t imagine what kind of cruel heartless people can club a cute and innocent animal to death.

• yanna athanassiadis says:

thanks to all activities who participatedto end this.we are not alone in the sympan

• Chris says:

Thank you dear PETA! We will be behind you in every step of the way to end the slaughter of seals and cruelty to animals. WE WILL NOT STOP! We will persist until it’s over!

• Debra says:

Thank God!!! Thank You PETA!!! Keep up the wonderful work you do!!! I’m with you and behind you all the way!!!!!!

• sharon choritz says:

Great work PETA!!!!!!!!!! KEEP IT UP NO ANIMAL DESERVES THIS BEATING AND MURDER THE PEOPLE THAT CLUB THEM ARE THE ONES THAT SHOULD BE IMPRISONED FOR NAIMAL CRUELTY. PERHAPS LOOK AT LEGISLATION PROSECUTING THEM FOR CRIMES COMMITTED AGAINST SEALS!

• Sid says:

I think that the movement against this practice must continue until Canada issues a law against this inhumane crime

• RP says:

Geat work on this PETA! Keep it up they might go back to their old ways again next year if nobody is looking. Seal clubbing is an outrage people bashed the Japanese for Dophin bay slaughter but seal clubbing is even worse. There should be outrage in the main media as well for seals.

• Touidjine says:

Bravo ! je vous admire normment !

• Natasja f Belgium says:

I’m so happy to read this xD.

• Erick says:

YES!!! good job peta

• pv says:

Thank you Peta!!

• marjolein poelman says:

just stop it..

• Phyl says:

My family I do not buy anything canadian! We do not travel to canada! We hate what canada is allowing to happen to innocent seals!

• Frederick A. says:

It seems that the hunt is being slowed down but in fact the Canadian Government has plans to destroy some 220000 grey seals just for the sake of destruction perhaps starting as early as December since this is the birthing season for the seals. The planned seal hunt on Sable Island is simply to destroy the gray seal population on the island then to burn the bodies at a cost of millions of dollars required for forklifts with rubber tips to as to not pierce the carcasses and make a bigger mess as well special incinerators!. The plan is to hire hunters with silencers so as not to spook the population. Then since the adults are killed the young would also be destroyed so that they don’t starve to death. How very humane! Of course the government will invent very legitimate reasons for this action. It smacks of genocide no less than as written in history against certain group of individuals. It has nothing to do with a hunt for the purposes of using the byproduct of the seals in any shape or form. This is the worst insanity of all! So for this reason I had hoped to receive a more active involvement from your organization and the required urgency for action from PETA and others!

• Shannon says:

VICTORY is ours this day!! Victory at last victory at last…thank God almighty and PetaVictory at last!! Thank you from the bottom of my humble heart…thank you one and all!! We MUST continue to fight tho and only then will they be safe forever…God willling…freedom…

• lori says:

I have tears in my eyes over this victory but we can’t stop now!

• Cyd says:

This has been going on for so long. I am STILL haunted by footage on the news in the 1980s of baby seals being clubbed to death. The blood on the snow was enough to turn me vegetarian. 30 years later still on it

• Ella8495 says:

I am so happy!!! It’s about time something was done. I’m so friggin glad that PETA’s efforts are paying off long live seals Keep up the work guys!

• Bob says:

PETA FTW great job keep up the great work!

• G. Solingren says:

The Canadians I met camping last weekend told me this was “ethical” because the older seals are killed for their fur so babies are left to fend for themselves. They said they couldn’t figure out why Americans make such a big deal out of it. I was told as I sat in disbelief that clubbing baby seals was “ETHICAL.” Posted by BlondeGirl June 15 2010 0744 PM Way to live up to your name and make yourself sound confused. YOu start off by saying only older seals are killed and then finish with clubbing babies??

• Jenny Kropik-Lim says:

This is some good news but until it is 100 percent and not one single seal is hunted then we will be happy. We still need to continue to fight against this cruel annual seal hunting until it is completely banned.

• Trinity says:

same with me catherine

• Catherine Traversone says:

That’s great news. Hooray for the seals!!!!! I hate that pictureI can just feel the fear that poor seal must be feeling at that moment I just want to scoop him up to safety.

• Vegetarian says:

I did a presentation to my class about the seal hunt. Thank God that the slaughter is over for now.

• ali says:

i was sooo happy when i read this i started to cry thank you god!3

• Corinne Wheelock says:

PETA rocks!! So thrilled to hear this news!!

• ratking says:

this inhumane crime has to stop immediately and completely!!! this news here is a positive sign! many many thanks to peta and all the famous and not so famous activists! the day will come that NO animal at all shall have to die for it’s fur!

• gail sarette says:

This is awesome news! Lets hope PETA has this kind of impact elsewhere keep up the great work!

• Cecilie says:

This was a wonderful news

• analu says:

I’m so happyyyy!!!!!! this is a great news we are fight for others causes….but this is amazing!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

• kyla says:

I’m Canadian and in my french class we had to read through newspapers and read an article and i read one about how people are starting to eat seals and a lot of people in Quebec are demanding for seal meat because it doesn’t have hormones like cows pigs and chickens do and now Asia is trying to get seal meat as an exotic dish in their restaurants. It’s truly disgusting.

• Latha says:

I am so happy the Aeal slaughter ended. I am hoping there will be complete ban of Seal Saughter for ever. It is barbaric to kill innocent Seals for $$$. Great Job Peta. Thanks to all activities who participated to end this.

• melodie says:

We must be relentless in this fight. They will give up before we do.

• BlondeGirl says:

• Helen says:

I am sooo happy that it stopped! I just can’t wait for the day that it is banned worldwide

• Carole says:

Such great news! It’s still shocking to me that this mass slaughter of marine life goes on every year. . . Thank you PETA and all the other animal advocacy groups for all your efforts!

• Viyea says:

WEEEE!! IM SO HAPPY THAT THESE IS ALLMOST ENDING THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INCREDIBLE DEDICATION!! CONGRATULATIONS! WE ALLWAY’S GONNA BE HELPING YOU

• Sally Phillips says:

When I was about 10 years old I saw a documentary on the seal hunt on NBC in the late sixties called “Say Goodbye” and it showed the clubbing of seals. I will never forget it as long as I live. Please let this be one of the final nails in the coffin of this barbaric practice.

• Stephanie says:

I am so happy about this..I will be even happier when they cant kill any at all EVER…those seals are a part of our world and dont deserve to be killed…Thank You PETA…you ROCK!!!

• Michaela Brown says:

So good to hear some good news for animals for a change. Go PETA you guys are legends

• Walter says:

What a wonderful news!!! Many years wondering if this was ever gonna stop and now… this is a big step! Congrats everybody! Lets keep active!

• Dunia says:

GREAT!

• Marie says:

I’m very happy too. I don’t know why they call it a “hunt” It’s a slaughter of these creatures. They have next to nil chance of getting away.

• Edita Fernandez says:

This is cruel and inhumane.

• Marilyn says:

Im sooo happy! This cruelty had to stop!

• Aneliese says:

I’m Canadian and I’m so pleased that the hunt was down more than 80! I think this is going to end soon but not because of the seals but because of $$$.