Safeway Victory!

Written by PETA | February 11, 2008

You may have heard of Safeway. They are the second-largest grocery chain in North America. Which makes our latest breakthrough with the company (which has been six years in the making) a huge victory for animals. Safeway executives have just confirmed to us that they are initiating a new animal welfare plan that will make them, along with Whole Foods, one of the grocery industry leaders with regard to animal welfare. The company has agreed to encourage all of their egg suppliers to ban battery cages, implement a purchasing preference for pork that was produced without cruel gestation crates, and favor poultry suppliers that use controlled-atmosphere killing (the least cruel method of slaughter) instead of electric stun baths and throat-slitting.

As usual with these announcements, this is wonderful news because it means that one of the biggest, most influential corporations in the world is listening to the public’s concerns about animal suffering and making significant changes that will directly affect millions of animals—as well as fundamentally changing the way an entire industry does business. It does not mean that we’re all going to pat ourselves on the backs, pack up our desks, and go home. We still have a long way to go before animals stop being tortured and killed because (for instance) people have a preference for a certain kind of breakfast food, but this is a big step in the right direction, and we’re extremely grateful to everyone who helped us during the years of negotiations, the multiple shareholder resolutions, and the action alerts encouraging Safeway to take animal issues seriously.

Thanks to Safeway for making this compassionate decision, and to everyone who worked so hard to make it happen. Now back to work.

Comments

• sharon says:

Hi all gee I wish all in the movement could support each other and all who are trying to help animals. We all have enough enemies lets all focus on slagging them off eh?

• Susan manns says:

This is a step towards freedom for all animals. It should be celebrated.We all have a long long way to go . There are hundreds of thousands of people throughout the world working stopping every form of animal cruelty. Th question is are we all doing every thing we can? look deep inside and wonder.I have nothing but respect for what Peta is doing they have gone where no other organization has ever gone in the past and succeeded

• Mike says:

Are they also going to boycott Canadian seafood in regards to the seal hunt?

• judith says:

that is so cool!

• Michelle says:

I have so much respect for PETA and everyone here who fights for animal’s rights. I’ve been a PETA supporter since I was 14yrs old. I stopped consuming beef and pork around the same time. I’ve always loved animals and have dedicated my life to protecting them. In the past 20 years I’ve been an onagain offagain consumer of seafood and poultry. Last February I went completely cold turkey no disrespect for the turkeys. I’ve never felt happier or healthier. I’ve found an inner peace I’ve been struggling with all these years. Someone mentioned that an onagain offagain vegetarian will eventually choose meat. I disagree if they are true animal lovers their conscience will in the end take control. I’m hoping to influence friends and family around me that vegetarianism is liberating!

• Ana says:

animal advocates and flesh eaters Folks have you seen the latest horror in a kosher slaughterhouse on PETA. Take a look at how the cows steer writhe in pain. Watch how horrible it is to have their throats slit and see the blood gushing out. No creature on earth deserves this agony and pain. And it is the innocent herbivores that are being slaughtered. Vegans like me. This is why I am vegan and an abolitionist. How horrible when you see these acts of murder you can become very skeptical about the presence of God or at least wonder why God does not give us the power to stop these atrocities. We humans will never have peace as long as slaughterhouses exist. Nancy Thanks for your kind words. Keep fighting the good fight! Justice for Animals!

• Brandon Becker says:

Ana I’m glad you and I agree about supporting direct action. I think uncoventional means are a necessary part of abolitionist struggle. On this topic Welfarists only want less inhumane treatment for animals used for food clothing etc. For the most part they do not question the human use of nonhuman animals no matter how trivial such use may be. When we talk about husbandry adjustments aka “welfare” reforms our discussion is on the animal exploiters’ terms within an unquestioning speciesist framework. As animal rights activists it is up to us to challenge this position. We must shift the debate to the question of whether it is morally right for humans to use animals for our purposes at all regardless of how “humane” or inhumane we may treat those we exploit. If we want to shift the paradigm from animal use to animal rights let’s speak plainly and forthright. You will find that many people you speak to are very receptive to the argument that animals are not ours to use and that cruelty is inherent in the system even if they may not be vegan. Our cultural socializes us to see animals as objects not subjects and it is a powerful force. We can help dismantle this unjust system by engaging in clear and uncompromising vegan and animal rights advocacy. As Martin Luther King Jr. said “Cowardice asks the question Is it safe? Expediency asks the question Is it politic? Vanity asks the question Is it popular? But conscience asks the question Is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe nor politic nor popular but he must take it because his conscience tells him that it is right.”

• Ana says:

Hi Michele Well emotion is a good thing. Let’s all keep fighting the good fight.

• Ana says:

Spare me Spare us your crap as well. These orgs I mentioned are not dealing with theories they are actively involved in saving animals. Theories gets no one anywhere human or nonhuman actively pursuing changes does. Going vegan does make a diffencefor the animals and that is what it’s about. Not about you me or egos.

• DEP says:

This is a step in the right direction. And any step is good. Having just moved to Canada from England however I have met a bunch of vegetarians here that shop without any knowledge of whats in the food they eat. Perhaps we could move Safeway in the direction of not only printing nutritional value but also animal content in all products. I know that the veggie sociey allows us more choice in Britain but really… being a vegetarian in North America… Much harder.

• Judith, Freedom Fighter for Animals says:

Michele Thank you so much. You are one of the best posters here. With so many feelings. But a few posters agree to disagree and it can go on forever. I know I have been there. I even have to leave my computer in order to take a short nap. LOL LOL Thats true Judith

• indycar01 says:

does this mean i wont have to drive out of my way kroger for my vegan burgers is safeway goinn vegan?.. siav.org mrmcmed.org pcrm.org

• Mike Quinoa says:

Thanks Rojo. It certainly is time for the celestial PowersThatBe to update their technology profile lol. I had better watch what I say

• Michele says:

I’m feeling kind of sappy after reading the exchange between Ana and Maya. I know it’s unreasonable to expect us all to agree about everything with respect to animal rights but I am just SO glad that there are people like you as well as people like Mike Carla Judith etc etc to speak up for animals in so many ways.

• Ana says:

Hi Brandon I am aware of FoA’s position regarding direct action but I accept the fact that it is not perfect just as PETA is not perfect as well and we both are members of PETA. But I am sure that you can agree with the other orgs I mentioned including the one from Spain that specifically states it is abolitionist and through direct action rescued 4 piglets recently that they actively carry out the spirit of abolition. FoA’s position against direct action is absurd these same people applaud the Underground Railroad and those involved with its execution. The Underground Rairoad was direct action. I agree completely with your comment February 12 519 none of this is a victory. It is PR and the public has their consciences assuaged and the the animal killing industries get a merit badge of compassion. No animals saved from a violent death and even more animals continue to die for their flesh and bodily fluids. I am at least grateful to have another abolitionist that understands my position. I do not contribute monetarily to these campaigns it is a waste of money and time that could be well spent educating others about veganism such as FARM and Vegan Outreach does. The operative word is justice. But first humans need to acknowledge the sentience of the other animals. “Livestock” is ludicrous stock that lives!!??? We are still in the Medieval Period ifwhen people still do not believe that the other animals suffer and bleed just like human animals. Justice for Animals!

• Ana says:

Hello Maya!!!! Well we do agree that we want the animals free from harm and living their lives according to their needs!!!! That’s good!!! BTW many feminists too numerous to name Annie Besant for example were vegetarian and animal advocates. Some both British and American founded orgs to help animals but because they had no legal status they had to get a man to sign for their orgs!!. The vegetarian feminists were at odds with feminists that wore fur feathers and ate flesh. I wrote several long papers in graduate schools on these admirable women that fought for women’s children’s and animal rights!! Fascinating. Have a happy St. Valentines’s Day filled with joy love and laughter!!! Blesings!!!!

• rojo says:

hi Mike I don’t mean any disrespect to the various religions they could just do with a more recent prophet to come along for an update. The texts outlining religion were written centuries ago apart from scientology and jedi etc a time when their GOD couldn’t very well explain the tools that would be available in the future without causing lots of confusion. I think you have become veg for the right reason your own judgement and not because you have been told how you should think.

• Amber says:

Any kind of step towards progression is a Victory. Bear in mind the phrase “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” Even if grocery stores still sell products such as meat and eggs it doesn’t mean that they have not taken those first steps to victory.After all there is no such thing as complete and unanimous reformity in today’s world. I applaud PETA and Whole Foods and the many others who are taking these steps towards a crueltyfree world.

• Spare me says:

Gary Francione Friends of Animals and the rest of the socalled “abolitionists” haven’t gotten Safeway or any other such company to kill one less animal so let’s cut the crap. They are dealing in theory PETA is dealing in reality.

• Maya, C.V.T. says:

ps Ana by the way I meant to say I will absolutely read those websites thank you for posting them!! I will get back to you. Keep up the fight sister.

• Maya, C.V.T. says:

Nancy WELL said. I wish I had the power of pen that you’ve have.

• Maya, C.V.T. says:

Hi Ana sweetie. I think we’re at a stalemate on this one LOL and that’s okay. My strongest beleif is that I want all animals to be free from exploitation. But for those like cows and zoo animals I want them to live in better conditions right now That does not mean I do not think they can be liberated. That simply means that they should not spend one more second in a tiny cage in their own feces in a dark space isolated alone in pain. Right this second I want every animal to feel sunlight run on the grass be treated well and have companionship. That’s all.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Rojo Agreed. No offense intended to any religion but to me proper stunning to make the animal totally insensitive before slaughter should always take precedence over ritualistic slaughter. That’s one reason I became vegsince I knew I could never perform the slaughter myself I thought I was being hypocritical to pay someone else to do it for me.

• Ana says:

Hello Maya!!! Peace and blessings to you! This is an international animal rights abolitionist http://www.animalequality.net from Spain in English. Take a look at their position. Also read the article “Abolition of Animal Exploitation The Journey Will Not Begin While We Are Walking Backwards” by Francione Gary L. Luckily AE has it on its website. Francione writes eloquently what my position is. Let me know if it elicits a response from you! Look at the other websites as well and read about their successes. It is disconcerting to read about your doubts. Why bother to advocate for the other animals if you don’t believe they can be liberated???

• Julia says:

SafewayDominicks is one of the WORST companies to work for. Its great that these changes are being made.

• Nancy says:

Ana first of all I respect your opinion your commitment and your compassion. As to your question about whether a rape is less of a rape if the rapist wears a condom… of course not. But isn’t it better if the victim isn’t left with a disease or pregnancy on top of the violence and humiliation? By the same token I don’t believe for a second that “humane” slaughter makes it any less of a murder. But the fact that huge corporations are beginning to even acknowledge animal suffering is a major shift that stands to have an enormous impact on their competitors’ and the public’s awareness of the issue even if it does begin with a false sense of what is “humane”. I do agree with you though that the inevitable labeling of this flesh as “humane” will initially reduce the incentive to go fleshfree. But I think that meat eaters who choose this option over conventional flesh will do so out of an increasing awareness of what isto us and the animalspainfully obvious. With their awareness raised they are far more likely to hear the truth when confronted with it. I’ve seen it happen to 3 friends in the past year resulting in 3 new vegetarians… which means countless lives saved. So what I’m trying to say is that I agree that this is not the final answer… not by a long shot. And I don’t think PETA sees it that way at all. But it does stand to make people a lot more receptive to the truth about meat… which is for most people a prerequisite to giving it up completely.

• rojo says:

anonmaya? thanks for the lemming answer. Old age has it’s drawbacks. I do understand Ana’s point about the brutal nature of slaughter but it doesn’t mean the animal is suffering. I see the same sort of argument here when libbers get upset about joeysbaby kangaroos being swung headfirst against a tree bullbar wheel etc. It’s not a graceful death but is fast and consequently painless not like starving. Slow agonising deaths are not condusive to quality meat it is in everyones best interests to ensure the least amount of stress to the animal. Aust. is pretty good at the minute we’ve had some severe drought but recent rains have left the pastures looking a treat along with some very happy cattle and sheep. Some of the young ones haven’t seen fresh grass before it must be a culinary delight. Spent the weekend in Sydney which was very nice catching up with the inlaws and friends.

• rojo says:

Hi mike no doubt about operator error happens in every walk of life. Thats not to say it can’t be improved. I believe the 95 refers to the first attempt at stunning and indeed some animals according to the USDA vets have 2 hits. The thing about concussionshock is that even if you are conscious you’re still not fully aware. Add to that the lack of blood flow to the brain. I hate to think of the actual percentage of animals killed without stunning of any kind for religious purposes or under third world conditions.

• Brandon Becker says:

Ana Again I agree with you and appreciate your partcipation on this blog. I must disagree with you on one point though. I do not encourage in fact I discourage support for Friends of Animals. FOA claims to be abolitionist yet they walk in lockstep with the welfarist HSUS in their dogmatic opposition to direct action. On the topic of this Safeway “Victory” I’ve been a member of PETA for 3 12 years and support everything they do that is in accord with their motto “Animals are not ours to eat wear experiment on or use for entertainment.” PETA does a lot of great work that is consistent with this ethic. That being said I would not call this a “victory” I would call it a defeat. It does nothing to advance PETA’s animal rights agenda and gives free advertising and PR to a company that sells the flesh and secretions of exploited animals. Contrary to popular belief welfare reforms do not make lives better for the animals currently imprisoned to be slaughtered for food. It’s not like these corporations immediately cut down the battery cages and move the animals into the larger cage meaning the floor of large building upon agreeing to reforms. The change begins if it even begins at all with future animals used for food usually years later. Do not be deceived welfare reforms are not changing anything for the animals currently being slaughtered. These marginal changes only come with future animals used for food again if they even begin at all. Meanwhile as an abolitionist animal rights advocate I reject such strategies as morally problematic as they reinforce the property status of animals and an ineffective use of time as they distract from the real issue using animals for our purposes. As more and more people become vegetarian and subsequently vegan the animal exploitation industries will reform themselves to stay profitable. It is a zerosum game. All of the time and money spent on welfare reform is time and money that could have been spent promoting veganism. For it is veganism which strikes the roots and shifts the paradigm from animal use to animal rights. Veganism will help bring down this unjust system. Many will argue that it is hopeless to advocate abolition because it will never be acheived. If we all took this fatalistic view we would never achieve abolition. Our society teaches us that it is moral to use living sentient nonhumans as resources for food clothing experimentation entertainment and other purposes. Most do not question this point. We must continue to educate people that they do have a choice. They don’t have to support the use of animals as property. Considering the fact that we can be completely healthy on a 100 plantbased vegan diet and can choose this alternative killing an animal for food is completely unnecessary unjust and wrong. We can eat a wide variety of plantbased foods wear many different plant fibers such as cotton conduct nonanimal product tests and medical experiments which are also more valid and reliable and support nonanimal forms of entertainment like circuses without nonhuman animals such Cirque du Soleil and view animals in their natural habitats instead of zoos. I think once people are confronted with the vegan message they may initially fight against it because it is in opposition to mainstream thinking. However if they critically analyze what we are saying I do not think they will ultimately reject it. I believe they will make changes in their life and eventually adopt our position. If we want to shift the paradigm from animal use to animal rights we must never give up or compromise. Above all this is an issue of justice and justice does not demand reform it demands abolition!

• Judith, Freedom Fighter for Animals says:

After giving up meat of any kind so many years ago I delight in hearing that some food store is going to be compassionate with its care and killing of any animal. But what in the hell is compassionate about a steer or a cow having their legs chopped off while they are still alive and yes they scream as told by a slaughterhouse worker in Iowa. They scream why are you doing this to me what have I done to deserve this. This just makes me ill. I just finished reading a book call “The World Peace Diet” by the amazing Dr. Will Tuttle. I worship very few people but this man is one of them. So yes this is a step foward but I only pray that someday there will be no meat of any kind on any shelve. Peace!

• Maya, CVT says:

Hi Ana all very good points. I’m just not completely sure I understand how meat eaters are being turned into vegetarians. It seems like an abolitionist may have a strong viewpoint but I’ve never seen a meat eater become a vegetarian using this kind of awareness. I’m just worried that steadfast vegans may save animals themselves but may not have a plan that actually changes anyone else. Of the people I know I’ve seen more people go from vegetarian back to meat eating than I have from meat eating to vegetarian. In that case I feel like nothing is changing so I wonder what the plan is.

• Mike Quinoa says:

One problem with the captive bolt gun is because of user error or time pressure the animal may not be effectively stunned and may regain consciousness as she continues down the line. In the States 95 accuracy is generally the accepted figure for effective accuratelyaimed stunning. Since last year in the States 39000000 cattle and calves were slaughtered USDA 2007 that means 1950000 animals were not stunned properlya number that is unacceptably high. The USDA should make humane slaughter a top priority but at the moment they certainly don’t.

• Ana says:

Hello Maya! Thanks! People who eat animals are very comfortable with doing so with or without the extreme painful conditions that animals endure months before they are murdered. By encouraging to eat the propagandized “humane” flesh what incentives exist to give up their “happy meals”? None. Again it is very easy to dictate what happens to the other animals when your lives are not on the line. None of you are suffering under extreme conditions and being killed as babies in order to be eaten. Abolitionists are realistic and do not water down their philosophystance to assuage others nor do they capitualte to PR ploy by moneyhungry animalkilling corporations. Would you feel better if the traps were padded for furbearing animals or should we end the use of fur? I think the furbearers would rather wear their own skin. Animal welfarists shout loud and clear that animal rights cannot be and because of this even more animals continue to die. And even though I am a PETA member as I have written before I do not agree with everything that PETA does. But I do agree wholeheartedly with the aforementioned groups that I wrote previously about. 2012?? Laughable. Is rape less of a rape if the rapist wears a condom??….HHHHHMMMM….I thought so.

• Anonymous says:

Hey Rojo! Geez I missed your comment earlier. I can’t speak for Ana but I think what she is saying is that in any slaughter even if one is okay with the killing any animal slaughter entails brutal and cruel actions no matter how it’s done. I do think she has a point. From what I understand dogs can do okay on a vegetarian diet if one works with a vet on proper nutrition. Cats absolutely not. If vegetarianism remains in existence one would still have cows and chickens used for dairy and I assume if they died of natural causes they could perhaps be used for pet food in some ideal situation where humans stopped eating meat altogether. And Rojo I just had to answer your lemming question!! It was great. Lemmings run in “packs” and follow the “elder” leaders as they run around near cliffs and sometimes especially if the leader gets older and has compromised eyesight brain function or coordination the leader winds up running over a cliff and lemmings will just follow. They don’t commit suicide. Great question. How’s Australia?

• Maya, CVT says:

Mike very well said! I can only speak for myself but I see this as a very important step. I see lots of zoos for example that breed animals just to live in captivity and some that take them right from the wild. I think this is disgusting. I would like to see all zoos like this closed down. However when I see a margay in a dark metal cage not even able to stand up or turn around I am going to fight for that animal to have a humane enclosure where it can see sunlight walk on the grass run and play and be treated correctly. Same with cows pigs and so on. When I began working with animals I promised myself that I would never turn my back on an animal who was suffering and I never will. That’s why I’m glad PETA is caring for those who are suffering as we speak!

• rojo says:

ana farming will go “back” if the consumer is willing to pay the added cost of production. Look at organic farmings successful growth dubious benefits but the consumer is willing to pay and the farmer happy to oblige. The consumer is indictating that heshe wants to eat baby animals by paying a premium. Veal though is only approx 1 of production in Australia httpwww.abs.gov.auausstatsabs.nsfmf7218.0.55.001and I can only presume baby lamb and suckling pig percentages are even lower. People should however eat older animals as fewer deaths need to occur because they have more meat. The success of the welfare movement aided by strong groups like peta is ensuring that humane practices are enforced in abattoirs. The captive bolt stun gun renders the animal senseless before exsanguination unfortunately not for halal or kosher meat. Quality meat depends on the animals stress levels remaining low during slaughter. Not only in the best interests of the animal but the actual product as well. “Dying horrible deaths” is counterproductive in any sense speed quality or even just straight out morality. I don’t quite understand why a horse shouldn’t be used for food when it is going to be killed anyway. Pet cats and dogs would have to eat some other onceliving being. I do see the emotional buttons you’re pushing but why are horses more important than cows?

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mabel You can’t generalize. What some members of PETA would like and what PETA the organization actually does can be two separate entities. I’m sure a lot of PETA members would prefer total abolition. This does not mean incremental progress is denigrated either by PETA or its members. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”

• Ashes says:

Ana So do you think PETA is wrong on this? Should PETA not have lobbied Safeway for humane regulations and stop advertising its success? I’m confused from your post about whether you support this by PETA or not.

• John Carmody says:

I think its brilliant companies like this are deciding to make these changes BUT lets hope they actually do what they say they’ll do I would have thought that Safeway made these changes when PETA announced their victory back in 2002? Although everyone of us would prefer a vegetarian or vegan world we as a movement helping animals need to be realistic in our approach and understand that the world just wont go vegan over night but in the meantime whilst we are asking people to go vegetarian and hoping theyll go vegan in the long run lets try and cut out the most awful practices inside the slaughterhouse and on the factory farm making life a small bit more comfortable for the animals although I do battle with the thoughts of how life is for animals who will be killed I often wonder they must know their fate awaits them but i am not sure if these changes will make any difference to the animals but its best to keep a positive approach and thank companies for doing something positive to help animals.

• Nancy says:

This may not save many or any lives but it is at least a step towards heightened awareness compassion and eventually though probably not in my lifetime a wholesale refusal to participate in cruelty. And it’s not the first I’ve heard of Safeway taking the high road. The Von’s chain here in Southern California is part of the Safeway corporation and they are the only major supermarket chain here that does NOT spraypaint the food they discard in their dumpsters. The other major chains Ralph’s Albertsons etc. are apparently doing this because of liability concerns arising from homelesshungry people scavenging in their dumpsters. Sorry but that’s the lamest excuse I’ve ever heard. Especially when Von’s doesn’t appear to have been hurt by making the compassionate choice. Of course in a perfect world no sentient being would be abused and killed for another’s pleasure. But until then each small step towards a crueltyfree world is IMO cause for celebration.

• Maya, C.V.T. says:

Hi Ana! You know I respect your opinion so don’t think it goes unconsidered!! We can agree to disagree on this one and my goal will always be to change the USDA’s stance especially since vegetarians would still purchase dairy products.

• rojo says:

mabel there are a small percentage that won’t be happy about such developments it does make their goal of nil animal use that little bit harder. peta realises that it is better to back improved conditions for animals because they ultimately have the animals best interests at heart. Their welfare. maya i think factory farming grew as an extention of overwinter housing and feeding. The production systems were already in place and worked well for half the year to start with. the systems then spread around the world even to countries where winter is practically nonexistant. Periods of factory farming are inevitable for cold climates much to the animals benefit. I’m assuming animals don’t like to be cold and wet either.

• Carla says:

Thanks Ana bottom line so true.

• Ana says:

Maya No farming is going back to anything. The name of the game is moneyprofits. There is no concern for animals whatsoever. But you and others are buying into this humane crap and even more animals are dying horrible deaths after living short miserable lives. These animals are babies when they are killed. Even your pet horses are being sent to slaughter Canada and Mexico. As long as the demand for flesh continues animals will die. This is the corporate PR that you and others have bought in to and these coprorations love it. It is very easy to speak of “humane” anything when you’re not the one being slaughtered. Education and example is the way to change people’s minds and hearts not leading them to a butcher shop that claims to have “humane organic flesh”. FARM Friends of Animals Vegan Outreach are just a few abolitionist groups to consider. HSUS sounds like an org made for you. On this we differ. Peace to you and animals dying violent painful deaths whether from factory or “humane” farms.

• donna says:

Does this include Canadian Safeways? And is Safeway advertising the fact that they have taken this step? thanks!

• Maya, C.V.T. says:

I know that there is controversy on this issue but if all animal raised for meat were given “free range” treated as pets i.e. cows treated as well as a beloved horseand given proper conditions there would be less animals raised in total. Factory farming was ONLY created because of high demand for meat and dairy. That way animals can be crammed into small spaces and be mass produced. If we go back to old fashioned pasture grass fed style farming less meat will be available so people will be motivated to go vegetarian at least some of the time. Grass fed pasture style farms are not as toxic for the environment. And don’t forget even if everyone went vegetarian we would still have chickens and cows on farms. The best move would be to pressure the USDA to make “certified humane” REAL and truly humane if at all possible and to let people know that “cage free” only means that the animals are let out for 5 minutes a day!

• Jaclyn says:

This is great news. A big step forward. Did Safeway mention any dates?

• Carla says:

I shop at Safeway cause other then them there’s not too much as far as grocery stores here. So I am please with them and will let them know what a wonderful switch they made and how influential this can become! Way too go Safeway!! Now if Superstore IGA and Sobey’s can also follow suit!!

• Judith, Freedom Fighter for Animals says:

This is WONDERFUL….. My husband and my daughter and myself just sent that alert letter last night. I don’t know how we missed it. We also told them we would get our Medications somewhere else and gave them our name. Peace!

• Mabel says:

But they will still sell eggs pork chicken etc. and are not totally cutting out suppliers who don’t follow the welfare guidelines. I’ve read dozens of comments from PETA members on this blog saying that it’s not good to emphasize welfare and making meat production and slaugther better. So why is PETA making that a goal and bragging about success? It seems like a contradiction. Or is it that the organization is in favor of welfare and pushing more humane slaughter methods but the individual members disagree with that goal and only want total bans?