What’s the Worst Way That Canada Harms Seals?

Written by PETA | April 21, 2011

The results are in from PETA’s text-messaging poll asking people to choose the worst way that Canada abuses seals during the annual commercial baby seal slaughter, which is happening right now. Thousands voted, and here are their choices:

• Ripping live seals’ skin off: 43%
  • Bashing seals’ heads in: 33%
  • Hooking seals in the eye with a hakapik: 24%

All the slaughter methods are barbaric, but what do you think is the worst thing that Canadian seal-killers do? Leave a comment to cast your vote, and “like” this on Facebook to ask your friends to vote too.

Written by Michelle Sherrow

Comments

• Beth says:

Quit complaining, how about they hunt the adults and leave the babies alone. Does that sound better?

• ADNAN TARIQ says:

for GOD sake ,stop this……humans themselves have become the most ‘worst being’ out of all living beings……..

• Jessica says:

CANADIANS: in the upcoming election, vote green! they would put an end to the seal slaughter and do so many other amazing things for animals and this country!

• Seamus McCartney says:

All of these methods are barbaric and incredibly cruel. They should be disgraced at themselves. I don’t understand how anyone has the mentality that enables them to kill these cute creatures, without mercy.

• Jay says:

Again, I must urge all my fellow Canadians who care about animals. and this issue, to look to the Green Party in the looming federal election. Read their position at this link: http://www.greenparty.ca/vision-green/p3.10 Animal rights/welfare issues have an infuriating “habit” of languishing in our country while under the leadership of status quo parties. No more, please. No more.

• FreeMaverix says:

eryone who finds this cruel and disgusting (hopefully everyone!) should first look at their own habits! And You may (unfortunately) only raise your voice, if You are clear with yourself – meaning being a vegetarian at least. What is the difference between a seal, a cow, a pig, a chicken? Nothing in terms of feelings, emotions, fear, stress or joy. Except that the seals had an undisturbed natural life, that only ends suddenly within a few frightening seconds or minutes, as it also would in nature when a polar bear has its meal (only in human inflicted case it is senseless and not even serving the need of feeding someone). While the animals on your table were most likely abused a whole pityful life long! It’s not about how cute or innocent an animal is, or how red its shed blood is, it is about what IT feels! (Not just your psycho-emotions of associated cuteness). May the bloody slaughter on canadian ice help all those, that haven’t learned the lesson yet, to find the courage and integrity to truly change (their habits)… then the bloody ice and (and what made it red) may at least serve an important purpose… that of transitioning our fragile planet to a saver place! In either case, in the arctic, the slaughter-house or the dining table (esp. fastfood drive in)… it’s just an reflection of who we are. And as long as we are like that, there will be battlefields, violence, oppression and abuse – politically, in our families and personal lives, and on computer and TV-screens. Let’s change – starting in the just mentioned order above reversed. Let’s finally become humans !! (one after one).

• DonniDe-Ville says:

What is the point of asking which form of torture is the worst? Why don’t you (PETA) get a team out there surrounding the seals? (pay some bodybuilders if that’s what it takes!) and they can even camp out there. A ring of protection keeping it up for as many days as neccessary and the cowardly seal killers would have to give up. You really fight for the animals? Then get out there and protect those seals!

• Arianna says:

Any of these acts is horrifying and disgusting enough for me to want to throw up. Doesn’t the world have a conscience anymore?

• blanca says:

This need to stop, steel are so many icnorant pepol

• julia brooke m says:

can i vote for all of them? they are all cruel it should be aganist the law! how would they like it if a seal came up to them and killed them? what is wrong withthe people theese days? club soda not seals people!!!

• julia brooke m says:

• Tujuana NYC says:

What horrific actions these sick disgusting individuals are doin to innocent loving creatures as Seals. Someone needs to punish and make them feel the pain and suffering, and then this behavior will decrease. This has to stop ASAP. It breaks my heart to see the graphic photos and videos but w/o PETA spreading the info I would not have known. People the more invovled we are, the greater our chances are to putting an end 2 Animal Abuse. Lets keep being physically active and mindful in protecting all animals and creatures.

• Tujuana NYC says:

• Annie says:

What heartless stupid people would do that

• Estelle Hoffman says:

I agree. All of the methods of killing these beautiful, precious seals are barbaric and horrifying. It breaks my heart that this is allowed to continue. I join the fight with PETA and other animal lovers around the world to put a stop to this.

• melissa422 says:

These killings need to STOP!! It makes me cry and sick to my stomach to know that there are ignorant people killing God’s beautiful Animals. so sad.

• lilrunt6780 says:

Reading all those ways just make me SICK! Who could have a heart that could do that to a poor, innocent animal!

• StephanieCares says:

Everyway is absolutley disgusting and it makes the human race the most dangerous. Which it shouldnt be, we need to understand that they were here before we were but on this earth. And animals of any kind have rights too!!

• Kasia says:

unbelievable and heartbreaking. If an animal even threatens to injure a human, it will be killed. But this kind of truly barbaric behaviour is condoned?

• Lesley Richardson says:

Every method used is barbaric & inhumane. There could never be any justification for this annual slaughter of these beautiful, sentient beings (or any other, for that matter)

• Linda D. McMillan says:

What barbaric, cruel, & heartless people that slaughter innocent sweet seals for their fur. It makes me ill to witness humans killing- murdering. The videos are unbelievable. It’s actually still happening as seen again this year. God help us. How can we ever have PEACE ON EARTH while doing such awful things to other living creatures?

• Shyamantak Debsikdar says:

Any method is barbaric and cruel. I voted for ALL OF THE ABOVE and it should immediately STOP. People should refuse using seal products and it will stop on its own and a STRONG LAW is also necessary to bring an end to this horrific cruelty..

• Viktoria says:

The worst thing of all is, that they don’t even regret what they do! They don’t understand, what it means to massacre the seals in front of the other seals! When they hear their victims scream they just understand the word: money!! Because nothing else matters to them instead of the money! And that’s the worst thing in Canada and in the whole world! Most of the people don’t even try to think about other creatures or if this creatures could get hurt, NO, they aren’t even abel to think about something else than themself and their ****** money!!

• Karen says:

How is it that Canada is able to get away with this. I haven’t seen any news reports on this either. japan is just as bad with the slaughter of dolphins. This has to stop, but will they?!

• Matt says:

All you bloody fools keep treating animals like people, they they are also sapient and should get the rights we get! Now I don’t think they should be needlesly tortured, they must be much more painless ways of killing the seals, namely a bullet.

• Lori Sirianni says:

The barbaric Canadians have been slaughtering seals since I can remember, the 1970’s at least. Nothing has stopped them, even U.S. and EU bans on the importation of seal skins. The only thing that MIGHT ever work is a worldwide BOYCOTT of Canada and all things Canadian. Don’t visit or vacation there. Read labels and don’t buy any Canadian products. Help tank their economy. Money talks. Only when Canada feels the economic effects of its heartless seal massacre will it stop. And for the record, I’m Canadian, and ashamed of it.

• tapan patnaik says:

all the above methods. this is disgusting, heart wrenching!

• shana says:

This is just CRUEL!! sick of seeing this happen over and over and over !!

• jessie says:

I also vote all the above these killings toward all kinds of animals has to stop. These people are just not killers but they are very sick unhuma people.

• tieeaj says:

Any and every person MUST stop harming animals. It is disgusting and a sad representation of the human race.

• danzinski says:

how about tell us what products are made instead of a survey, so I make sure not to contribute to this horrific slaughtering

• AP says:

This is horrendous and cruel. How anyone can have the heart to kill any innocent animal in such a matter is beyond anything imaginable.There are no words to express such cruelty.

• Jay says:

Here in Canada, we will soon have a federal election. The only party that has reportedly vowed to end the seal slaughter is the Green Party. I don’t rep for them, I’m just repeating what I’ve read, and will vote accordingly. Canada actually has appalling anti-cruelty laws for a country so progressive on other issues. Strange. I appeal to all fellow Canadians- I’m afraid that this matter is ultimately ours alone, to rectify. Tell your local candidates you demand the strongest animal protection laws, and to end the goddam seal hunt!

• zeroelliott says:

If these freaks MUST kill seals for their skins,why doesnt the canadian spca insist that they be despatched in an humane fashion….or will that add an unacceptable mark up on their onerous product?

• canadian seal slaughter says:

I have only one thing to say about this atrocity. May God have mercy on the souls, if they have souls, of these terrible people who do these terrible terrible things to the innocent seals.

• lisa lopez says:

This is just so very disgusting and it hurts my soul to think that people do these things.I can’t even say anything!='(

• Colleen says:

I am a Canadian who is ashamed that this cruel and barbaric act is still allowed, especially in such a modernized country. ALL CANADIANS SHOULD FEEL ASHAMED OF THIS. We need to let our leaders know that this is unacceptable!

• HeidiB4 says:

Any method these savages use to kill those poor seals sickens me. It’s unbelievable that some humans can act so inhumanely! Breaks my heart!

• Katie says:

I voted ALL OF THE ABOVE. That is definitely the best answer!!

• Linda says:

The worse thing that Canada does is to continue this disgusting,barbaric slaughter. God would someone do this to one of them please…..

• Lena Diana says:

As far as I’m concerned any way is worse……

• Britt says:

Hearing and seeing about Canada’s seal slaughters just make me break down.. How does anybody feel comfortable doing that and then able to sleep at night? Any inhumane way is THEE worst way to harm or torture these poor creatures. Let them live!

• SiD says:

It’s hurtful to hold such a graphic poll…

• Lidia Baltazar says:

I don’t know what to answer. For me there is no better choice. Indeed all melhods are barbaric and inhumane. Maybe the question I’m going to make is stupid and a whole nonsense, but: How would humans prefer to be slaughter?

• Chantal Breton says:

How come when I try to get more infos, i.e. facts about this “annual commercial baby seal slaughter” by clicking on the link, I get to a page where you sell your promotional items? Can you please direct us to a credible source which supports what you present? Thank you Chantal

• Leonora velasco de Pijoan says:

These killers are, obviously, heartless and stupid; what is really cruel is buying what they sell. As long there are buyers for these peoples’goods, they will continue their hunt.

• DDD123 says:

I think that ANY slaughter method is HORRIBLY CRUEL and HEARTLESS. However, I do not think that it is necessary to take a survey about this. Please, let’s focus on eradicating these disgusting practices and change legislation to END THIS MURDER ONCE AND FOR ALL.

• Linda Maslin says:

the seal hunt is barbaric, nothing that should happen in the 21st century – this is from the Dark Ages!