RIP Tammy Faye

Written by PETA | July 23, 2007

I’m sure you heard the news that Tammy Faye Messner (formerly Bakker) passed away this weekend after a long battle with colon cancer.

Tammy_Faye.jpg

Tammy Faye definitely had it rough, (check out the enjoyable documentary The Eyes of Tammy Faye if you’re interested in that part of her life), but she always managed to face the world with two very important things: her trademark chipper attitude and loads of mascara. And it was those two things that led us to get in touch with her back in 2003 to see if she’d be interested in helping with our Caring Consumer campaign. We found out that Tammy Faye loved animals and she was horrified to find out what happens to them in labs, so she jumped at the chance to help.

Tammy Faye clearly got the concept of true Christian compassion, and we’re proud to have had her grace the cover of our cruelty-free shopping guide.

RIP Tammy Faye.

Comments

• Heather Anderson says:

God love you and keep you Tammy. I know you’re eating your cheeseburgers in heaven. God bless you sweet lady!

• Terri says:

Her suffering is over. She is in a better place than she has ever been before. Rest in peace Tammy

• brenda burnett says:

Tammy Faye was one af Gods Angles Here for us. Now she is with The LORD Lord. I have learn to forgive. thank youTammy

• BARBARAJEANMARTIN says:

I WAS A FAITHFUL FOLLOWER FOR OVER 30PLUS YEAR.IKNOW THAT SHE WILL BE REMEMBERFOR YEARS TO COME.TAMMY FAYE FOUGHT THE FIGHT AND KEPT THE FAITH.TO HER HUSBAND AND HER SON AND DAUGHTER MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU ALWAYS. SINCERELYBARBARAJEAN MATIN

• Nell B. Hendrix says:

Tammy I have watched and been with you through PTL and your other trials. I have admired you since day one. You were yourself and not afraid to express it. God loves you and so do I. My sympathy to Rowe Jamie and Tammy Sue. See you in heaven. Rest in peace good lady.

• Ellen says:

God bless and comfort Tammy Faye’s family and friends. My fondest memory is of her singing…that annointed powerful voice in that tiny little body. Ellen

• yolanda bautista says:

Tammy because of you I learn to seek God I learn to forgive by your example. I learn to love those who have hurt me thought your example. I learn to be patient throught your example.you show me what a true christian is like. I will miss you.

• Anonymous says:

Tammy thank you for showing me who God is. Because of you I learn what forgivenes is you took me out of the dark and you never knew me.

• Iris Jamison says:

May God Be with Tammy Faye at this time a good example of a CHRISTIAN.Sincerley Iris

• Rosa Hernandez says:

I was heartbroken to hear she had passed away. she deserved so much more life after all her suffering. May she finally rest with her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I know she really loved Him and that is one person who never judged or critized her.

• angie says:

You were brave Tammy and showed the world how to live with cancer. Rest in Peace.

• amber apperson says:

tammmy was a good person we will love and miss her.

• DARLENE says:

THANK GOD FOR THE WORK THAT MRS TAMMY FAYE DID WHILE HER VISIT ON EARTH SHE TOUCHED MANY SOULS WITH HER LIFE. AND FOR THIS WE’RE ALL ARE GREATFUL. REST ON IN THE ARMS OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST.

• dorothy says:

TAMMY MADE ME SMILE WHEN SAD SHE REALLY MADE LEMONADE OUT OF LEMONS!!! SHE GAVE GREAT HONOR TO OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST!!!!!SHE LOVED LAUGHED CRIED TOUCHED MANY MANY HEARTS ALWAYS WILL REMEMBER TAMMY FAYE

• Mae says:

For years I was afraid to fly in a plane but one day on PTL I heard Tammy speaking on the fact that God can watch over us wherever we are and that we shouldn’t be afraid to fly. After that I took my first flight and have been flying and loving it ever since. She really helped me and I’m thankful for that. I send my sympathy to her family. I know she’s happy and pain free now.

• Pearl says:

Tammy Faye I know the Lord has his arms around you. Thank you for being the person you are and for touching so many lives with your smile and faith. God bless Pearl

• David Lee says:

I loved Tammy Faye she is asleep in Christ. I was so glad to have met her in Nanuet New York. I’ve watched her on television most of my life. I reconized Jesus in her life even when others around me was very critical about it. I got saved through the PTL Ministry and I thank God for using them to get me in to His Jesus Kingdom. Even though Tammy Faye is asleep in Christ her spirt lives on and she left a legacy for us to follow if someone gives you a lemon make lemonade. I’ll never forget that and its a legacy I will follow.

• Angela says:

We’ll miss you ! We all loved you. See you in Heaven when I get there. Thank you for all the things you did for those who needed you..

• wayne says:

Dotty you can find her music on ebay and also Tammyfaye.com. Through it all she was a becon of hope and eternal love. Rest in Peace my dear friend. I met Tammy in a tore in North Carolina. She was so warm and caring. She is doing God’s work in heaven now.

• GREG says:

I do miss you Tammy Faye. I still say that you did the right thing by putting heat into a dog house. I know you will have an added touch in the help of animals where you are today. In Heaven you can see to it that all God’s little pets are soon truly cared for. I am deeply saddened But someday we can walk out pets together in Heaven on real golden streets. Love GREG

• Lyn May says:

I WATCHED TAMMY FAY FOR YEARS SHE JUST Fasineted ME. I FOUND HER SO UP LIFTING IN MY TIMES OF NEED. WE NO SHE WAS A GOOD Lady. love her and so do we love Dan and lyn

• TEREANCE VAUGHN says:

REST IN PEACE TAMMY WE WILL SEE YOU AGAIN.

• Cheryl Duffey says:

I met Tammy Faye at PTL before everything broke loose. I was there with Buck and Dottie Rambo. It was one of PTL’s all night sings. All these big name Gospel singers were mingling around. Jim was hobnobbing. I noticed Tammy Faye standing at a small table all alone. No one was talking to her. No one was talking to me either so I went over to her. I introduced myself and told I was with Buck and Dottie. She was so gracious and nice. We had a little chat. I’ll always remember two things about her. Her smile and her strength. Just 65 pounds on Larry Kings show and still smiling! She’s eating that hamburger and french fries she was graving now in heaven!

• Jeanna says:

i Love and miss you tammy… we never met but you emcouraged me so much everytime i seen you on TV. God has you now and i want to meet you someday in heaven

• rita davis says:

To Tammy’s Family I never knew Tammy personally but I did get to go to PTL several times and oh what an annointed place of God! May God Bless all of you thru this time. Love Prayers Rita Davis

• nance says:

Tammy Faye is and was a very faithfull servant…of the lord and of her animals..and of her life…I miss you so much…

• Chaz Gonzales says:

Ms. Tammy Faye was a remarkable woman and so full of love for life in any form without judgement. She will truly be missed. She was in a way a light from the god she so dearly loved and cherished that sadly faded out.

• Kathy Collins says:

…..Tammy you are the perfect example of what God says People looks on the outside but God looks at the heart…and you had a heart after God…you Loved…for He is Love without condemnation. That’s what always showed forth from you!

• rita bennett says:

Tammy always kept the faith shewould be healed and she loved the Lord with all of her heart…..

• Sally Lindstrom says:

Dearest Tammy Faye You are now in the arms of Jesus and signing praises and worship to our King Jesus. The angels are in chorus with you. I look forward to the day of the Lord’s return to worship Him at His feet. Praise The Lord for Tammy Faye!

• Sheri Morgan says:

I was SO sad to hear about her passing…she is finally with her LORD and SAviour!! My family was very close to the Bakker family My dad wa Associate pastor of Brothe Gormans ministry and we became very close to them…she had such a radiant beauty of Christ’ love and for his people…she didnt cared who you were she loved you anyways and thats why I know she was sent here to do that…we will alll miss her but keep one of her true lessons always and thats to love no matter waht…and she did that….I know she’s loving the radiance of heaver ecspecially walking on those street of gol…and not being in pain anymore…we love yall always…Love Sheri Morgan

• Glenda & Larry Jones says:

Tammy Faye did not know me but she is one of the finest Christian Women I know. I know her through her grandson. For a while her grandson and our grandaughter were good friens and I got reports through them. I know she must be rejoiceing up in Heaven with Our Lord and Saviour. And she is in no more pain. God Bless Tammy Faye and her family. God be with you Glenda Larry Jones Alabama

• Melissa Smith says:

Society is unforgiving of any flaw or short comming a person may have. And try to remind the person of it. But let it be said that Tammy loved people was kind forgiving inspiring to people that felt hopeless. She like Jesus looked on the heart of the person and had compassion! We will miss youl. See you in heaven.

• janice story says:

I’ve seen you through the PTL thing and i forgive you. I hate to add everytime i PUT ON MY MASCARA! It wasn’t all your fault. I see your strong faith in God in all your hardship. You even shared your faith on the sereal life reality show you did. I thought that was awesome. How many christains really do share their faith?

• Sandra Crawford says:

I will always remember your faith in the Lord. Your ministry has been a blessing to my life. You will truly will be miss my precious one.

• Vernette says:

You were an inspiration to all Tammy. God Bless you.

• Evelyn J. Kern says:

My dearest Tammy Faye you will surely missed darlingI’m gonna miss that laugh and your positive super attitude. You loved everybody and every living creature that walked this earth. You are now walking the streets of heaven and making everyone laugh! But I just can’t help to sayit just aint fair Gonna miss ya lady!!!

• Carol Learned says:

I knew of Tammy some time ago and she isn’t any different than anyone else I get so sick of them bring up PTL thats her past and the Lord cast all that to the sea if we ask forgiveness.We look at the person we knew and remember all the good times and things they did including her animals. God Bless you Tammy may I see you in Heaven. Praise God

• judy corder says:

was so sorry to hear about tammy faye i loved her singing does anyone know where i can get some of her music? preferably YOU LORD and WE SHALL BEHOLD HIM?

• geri barker says:

I pray that tammy will rest in peace.may god bless her

• Vada says:

Tammy Faye was a lover of all God’s creation. Loving animals is proof that we as Christians care and respect what God made for us to enjoy. She was a wonderful person. We will miss her.

• AGNES CREEL says:

• Dennis Mortley says:

It is not the years in your life but it is the life in your years. Tammy you have lived a good life and even in death you are blessed. your legacy will live on. R.I.P.

• Brian Fowler says:

Why are so many loving good compassionate important influential animal rights and PETA supporters dying so young????!! The world needs these people Linda McCartney Anna Nicole Smith and now Tammy Faye??? I’m so sorry for the animals loss of each of these kind souls who helped stop animal abuse throughout their lives. Now in heaven it’s even more crucial for us to continue their animal rights passion. I’m so sad. We miss you dear Linda Anna Nicole…and now sweet Tammy Faye….

• Judith, Freedom Fighter says:

Rest in peace sweet lady. Judith

• Char says:

I had the opportunity to meet Tammy 2 years ago where I worked. She was a wonderful woman and a kind caring soul to with animals. Before she left she grabbed my hands and said “my god bless you”.. I’ll never forget that day.. RIP Tammy

• Melissa W. says:

Tammy Faye was an amazing Christian woman and friend to animals. May she now Rest in Peace and may we never forget her or her love for so many including animals.

• Mary says:

May you find peace of soul………we will miss you.

• Adrian Culver says:

Thank you Tammy for everything you did for the animals may God welcome you in His eternal abode!

• Brianna Fritchey says:

She was a very good person and a dear friend to animals. I only just found out she had cancer on Friday.