Reality Stars Charged With Cruelty to Animals

Written by PETA | December 7, 2009

Reality-show contestants Gino D’Acampo and Stuart Manning have been charged with cruelty to animals for allegedly killing and eating a rat in Australia’s Outback while filming Britain’s I’m a Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here.

mirror.co / CC
“I saw one of these rats running around. I got a knife, I got its throat, I picked it up,” said Gino D’Acampo.
 D'Acampo

It seems like only yesterday that PETA sent its first plea to television producers, at the time it was for Survivor, begging them to leave animals alone. In fact, the outcry after contestants in a subsequent season chased, stabbed, killed, and cooked a pig on Survivor: The Australian Outback prompted a change in Australia’s laws to make it illegal to torture and kill animals for entertainment. Apparently, execs at IACGMOOH missed that memo.

I bet they’ll pay attention now, especially since IACGMOOH contestant George Hamilton told the Mirror that execs gave the go-ahead for the kill. (Worth mentioning: Hamilton notes that the rat, who was the main course in D’Acampo’s “rat risotto,” was a camp worker’s companion animal.)

Australia dishes up cruelty to animals in many forms, but it beats the U.S. when it comes to laws that protect animals from television show abuses. Reality-show stars everywhere are hopefully taking note and will think twice next time they contemplate torturing an animal for ratings.

Written by Karin Bennett

Comments

• shaun mcgrath says:

This entire episode left a particularly vile taste in ones mouth. The current vogue for ever more extreme and distasteful spectacles is redolent of the Roman ampitheatre in all its sickening and inglorious details. Have we as a species sunk so low morally and ethically speaking that we can glean cheap thrills from the all too evident suffering of what are after all sentient creatures look to your own conscience!!!

• Ashley says:

I mean this guys a selfloathing reality T.V. star looking for a very sad 15 minutes of fame. Did we really expect him of anything good?

• george says:

i was soo happy when i heard that on the news 3 years!!! i hope he rots in there too maybe he will think again next time he thinks of killing an innocent helpless animal well done rspca of australia

• Rex's Mom says:

I dont watch Survivor anymore. But one good thing came out of that brutal pig slaying in season 2. The guy who killed that little piglet was forced to leave the show after he accidently put his hands into the fire. I dont know why he did that but at least he didn’t win. He is a brute and a vicious person.

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

I only watch two “reality” shows “Operacion Repo” and “Dog The Bounty Hunter.” With the exception of Duane Chapman’s nickname neither show involves being around animals…just bail jumpers who lose control of themselves when caught by Dog and and people who lose control of themselves over having their car repoed. It seems to me that communicating with the finance company and even voluntarily giving up the vechicle would be more effective than a street brawl with the repo people. My car by the way is recently paid off. With only one salary coming in it was hard but we did it!

• ratking says:

shame on these twolegged beasts and what a dirty cheap ‘entertainment’ killing animals for stupid live shows like that! i’m utterly disgusted!

• Cher Walden says:

I recently received a packet of information from you showing the skinning of dogs and cats for use in clothing. These animals were placed in crated so tightly that they could barely breathe let alone relieve themselves or be fed. The crates were thrown from trucks onto the ground injuring the animals breaking bones etc. I could not believe what I read. What kind of people would do that? I wonder if they think about how it would feel to them to be skinned alive. The article made me want to get involved in some kind of service so that this kind of cruelty will be stopped forever. I look at my little Papillon and my QueenslandAussie and it mades me sick to think what would happen if they somehow got lost and were picked up by one of these terrible people to be used to make some kind of garment. I have a mink coat that was a gift several years ago and I am getting rid of it. Who knows what kind of fur it really is and who really cares. The important thing is that is was made from some animal hair. This cruelty must be stopped forever!

• Aneliese says:

Wow American reality shows just keep getting better don’t they? I’m glad the two are being charged.

• TheBearPaw says:

Rats spread diseases. In this case I guess the killing was justifiable as the people were starving even if it was only a simulated environment. But yeah stabbing pigs and letting them bleed to dead all that is unethical torture and should not be done.

• Brien Comerford says:

Australian politician and former Midnight Oil lead vocalist Peter Garrett called his country redneck wonderland. The brutal mistreatment of the hapless rodent vindicated Garrett’s remarks. Gino’s a moral moron and a vile reprobate.

• Bluebell says:

The producers seem to be ok with tormenting insects for the sake of entertainment so it doesn’t surprise me that another species has been the latest victim of this ridiculous programme.

• WASR-10 says:

Wait how is it cruelty to animals if it was eaten?

• samantha says:

I actually cheered when I heard this on the news. For too long these publicity hungry ‘celebs’ are willing to torture animals for the sake of their own fame. Jamie Oliver should have been prosecuted months for the castration episode. I don’t often say this but good on you Australia!!

• Vegana says:

People hate to know the intimate details of where their meat comes from.

• ava says:

I never watched I’m A Celebrity after I saw the animals on series one. I will never watch it again what a disgrace. st show anyways. He should face criminal charges what a wanker.

• Lauren Holt says:

When I first saw this on live TV I thought it was a stunt but after I saw it skinned I felt a bit sick!! They even held the poor thing by it’s tail a big no no.