Proposed AVMA-Approved Mutilations

Written by PETA | July 7, 2009
warkscol.wordpress / CC
Puppy

The American Veterinary Medical Association’s (AVMA) annual conference starts July 10 in Seattle. On the agenda is a pitch for the AVMA to change its current opposition to ear-cropping and tail-docking and give a thumbs-up to the painful procedures.

Say what?!

Our friends at NYCVet.org alerted us to a recent issue of the Journal of the AVMA, which revealed that the Utah Veterinary Medical Association (UVMA) wants the AVMA to reword its official position on ear-cropping and tail-docking. Instead of opposing these practices across the board, UVMA wants the AVMA to change its stance as follows:

Ear Cropping and Tail Docking of Dogs
The AVMA opposes ear cropping and tail docking of dogs when done solely for cosmetic purposes. Although cosmetic ear cropping and tail docking of dogs has little or no therapeutic basis, it is a procedure that is condoned by the American Kennel Club and by many members of society. It is imperative that the procedures be performed by trained, licensed, and caring veterinarians using current standard of care. The AVMA encourages the elimination of ear cropping and tail docking from in breed standards. Members of the AVMA will conform to all state mandates concerning the procedures.

Um, here’s a newsflash—cruel ear-cropping and tail-docking have been banned in countries around the world because they are purely cosmetic, hurt like hell, and have no benefit whatsoever to the animal. We hope that the AVMA holds strong and doesn’t decide to become even less caring about animals than it already is.

Written by Karin Bennett

Comments

• Kurt K says:

Derek I can actually understand your point about my beliefs being “hypocritical.” Don’t get excited I said I can understand your point not that I agree with it. My beliefs are no more hypocritical than PETA claiming the meat industry is causing global warming and then their members driving off in a car or flying in a plane. I don’t think it is hypocritical to choose which animals I eat and which ones I don’t. Now that I think about it I mainly eat 4 animals. Cows pigsfish and chickens. I leave the other million species alone. That is why God made everything else taste like chicken. If he didn’t then we would eat everything because it would taste different. You eat plants but you don’t eat all plants. Plants are a vital piece of the eco system yet you eat the ones that are novital. I eat the animals that are raised for food. I know what you are going to say animals have feelings and plants don’t. Plants respnd to environmental changes just like animals.

• Derek, MD says:

KurtK Perhaps but my passionate beliefs are not mired in hypocrisy and inconsistency fine to eatkillwearetc this animal but not that one. Saying the same thing over and over again while “consistent” is a different entity than having ethically consistent beliefs. Also I don’t think you are a dumba hick my neighbor that left a deer head in his back yard after a hunting trip and hung the carcass from his swing set to drain the blood? now that is a different story.

• Kurt K says:

Derek You are doing it again. Once again making claims that you not me are the passionate one. Explain to me how I have not be consistent. I am passionate about my beliefs just as you are about yours. Its just that your “leafeating rescue buying pleather wearingantifur animal lovingtree huggingconservationist” beliefs are different from mine and so you think I’m a dumbass hick and you are the light of the world. Oh yeah I don’t wear fur I don’t agree with fur. I never claimed to be an evironmentalist and I don’t believe in global warming. But I do believe conservation of habitats and the environment is important for this generation and the future generations. You see even we share some beliefs. Don’t take this the wrong way I was trying to bust your chops a bit. I hope you don’t really think I’m a troll thats just mean. Good talk…

• Derek, MD says:

KurtK I practice medicine in Iowa not on the coast and when it comes to medicine I am intellectually superior to about 99 of the population. Put me in front of a car engine however and I am intellectually inferior to about 99 of the population. So how do you feel about female circumcision? Suddenly the issue then turns into a “dog meat” debate where one tries to justify or is disgusted by the killingmutilatingeatingetc of one type of animal but not another. I may sound condescending at times but at least I am consistent and passionate about my beliefs. The same cannot be said about all the “meateating pure breed buying leatherfur wearing selfproclaimed animal loverenvironmentalistconservationists” that troll these types of message boards.

• Becky C says:

I agree. Ear cropping and tail docking are inhumane and ridiculous practices that don’t benefit the animals at all. These practices should be banned.

• april says:

the tail and ear docking serves no purpose WHAT SO EVER. when you declaw a cat you dont throw it out on the street you found it because it destroyed your $500 guitar with its claws. my cat that I got declawed would have been dead of neglect without me if I hadnt taken her in. dogs ruin your stuff no matter what.

• Kurt K says:

I know Derek all my guy friends just whine and bitch that his parents had the nerve to give him a circumcision. All they do is walk around in pain all day and curse God for putting them in such a situation. We in the midwest are in no way socially or culturally enlightened as you on the coasts. If you think about it how in the hell do we survive in the midwest. This is exactly why people like you fail to reach the masses. You act as if you are intelectually supperior. Stop being so condescending. I’m uncut by the way as is my brother.

• darla says:

There is nothing about being humane to teach students how to crop ears and dock tails. These animals will be thrown into a cage a lonely cage world and won’t look at anyonefor fear of what will happen by a surposely caring human being.They won’t be put on pain medicine or probably won’t be numb. As for the idiots that can’t be happy with the way these animals were meant to bethey are selfish bratts.As for the idiots croping and doing their own surgerythey not going to go to the vetthey are all too exspensive.This is just another wayto have their way abusing and torchering animals and being decietful to the public at the same time.Law lets certain people skin animals alive and gas chamber in some shelters….Are you going to believe all this crap or believe in our law makers?Cruel is cruelno matter who or for what reason it is being done to.If you can’t except an animal the way it was meant fordon’t have one.

• Derek, MD says:

jessica As a Family Physician who refuses to mutilate male infants by performing a circumcision I can attest that circumcision of an infant is NEVER done for medical reasons. The ONLY reasons parents choose to mutilate their child are because of “cosmetic” vanity and social insecurities. Anyone who lives outside of the Midwest andor has a mindset not stuck in the 1950’s knows that the rate of circumcision is rapidly on the decline and hopefully will become an outdated elective procedure. The history of circumcision is steeped in religious racial and social bigotry and I am disgusted that other physicians violate the Hippocratic Oath every time they promote or participate in what amounts to nothing more than genital mutilation of defenseless male infants. That said the clipping of tails and ears in animals is a similarly gruesome form of torture to another living being.

• Virginia says:

Jessica Circumcision is purely aesthetic. Leaving foreskin intact simply requires one to make sure his or her child is clean so infection does not occur. I assume circumcision or no that parents are washing their children. Circumcision also makes the penis less sensitive as men age intact foreskin protects the penis from coming into contact with clothing etc. and causing a small amount of callusing think about how the bottom of your arm is more sensitive than the top which is in contact with everything around you. Everyone The article isn’t talking about whether the AVMA should ban croppingdocking it’s talking about remaining firm and choosing not to endorse it. Breeders will still be able to go to veterinarians and have the procedure done although they shouldn’t the cruelty of home procedures will not increase as a result of the AVMA’s refusal to condone tail docking and ear cropping.

• AAG says:

The AVMA is all about money and pleasing the animal abusers and killers. What medical benefit does declawing have for cats??? None whatsoever and don’t bother with the insipid argument that at least they they get a home because these same callous people that have cats declawed dump them onto streets when they tire of them. Cats declawed on all 4 paws have been dumped as well. I have found them and this angers me to no end. But vets get extra money with this amputation and the “owners” get to place cats like objects in their homes. Paws come with claws and cats need their claws for many reasons including balance for climbing for litter box needs and for defense. Not all vets have the best interest of the other animals.

• mel says:

Has anyone actually considered that if the breeders will do it wouldn’t it be more humane if the veterinarians did it in a sterile area? Breeders might not do that and that leads to infection and death. As I’ve read above I agree it’s not something I agree with. However if it’s a choice between a known professional doing it to keep the dog healthy or in a less than sterile environment that the breeders would have it’s less cruel for the veterinarians to do it. But hopefully it’s denied to begin with and you can gloat about how well PETA works.

• chris says:

I have rescued two dogs and both have had cropped tails. It’ inhumane and absolultley cruel to the dog and most do incur nerve damage as a result.We deserve a giant meteor to hit Earth and wipe out humanity.

• Leigh says:

If the problem is that the breeders will just do it themselves then there needs to be legislation in place to charge such breeders with animal cruelty. Why on earth do they think an animal looks better without a tail or silly ears that end up curling backwards all strangely anyway. What a bunch of idiots. I’m sorry but these AKC people and their followers are not animal lovers they’re a joke.

• mfagnani says:

Well over the past several years I have learned a lot. My son is a veterinary technician and I have three dogs. One rescued retrievermix when she was a pup and two Britneys. I know for a FACT with two of my dogs that had their tails docked when they were a few days old probably that they have some kind of nerve problem because of this. My two Britneys are a year and a half apart with the same “dog parents”. Ear cropping and tail docking should be outlawed in this country PERIOD. This is as bad as declawing cats. Down the road we’ll have no other dogs than either a rescue or mutts!!!

• Brien Comerford says:

The AVMA is affiliated with greedy corporate America that does not care about animal welfare. Not many animal lovers and vegetarians in outmoded UTAH either.

• jessica says:

Kurt K. Circumsisions are for medical purposes. As said in the article if you even read it it is PURELY for vanity purposes and has no medical benefit whatsoever.

• CAndy says:

“The idea is that if veterinarians refuse to do these procedures the breeders will just do it themselves” The breeders will STILL do it themselves anyway because the breeders don’t spend a dime on vet care unless they are required to by law. This is just veterinary associations catering to the AKC and their puppy mill business. Animals always lose when it comes to vet associations. Until ethical vets and “vet students” have the guts to demand change this will continue. Yes making these procedures illegal means that those who mutilate animals like this can be punished.

• Candy says:

The AVMA is a BUSINESS LOBBY. It does not represent animal welfare animal care animal health or ethics. It represents the PROFITS of those who make money from using animals breeders puppy mills dog fighters slaughterers the farm industry lab animal torturers etc. The state vet associations are the same. These organizations exist to support what makes the most money for animal profiteers. They are a shocking indicator of the “profits before animals” that has control over too much of the veterinary trade.

• Kurt K says:

I guess you people are against human circumcision as well then correct?

• Canaduck says:

I for one am not surprised. The AVMA is useless. They also have no problems with battery cages gestation crates foie gras And probably a few more things that are obviously cruel.

• Rochelle says:

I’m a vet student. The idea is that if veterinarians refuse to do these procedures the breeders will just do it themselves causing the dogs more pain because they don’t even have the proper drugs or tools to perform veterinary medicine without a license. I am against these procedures as well but I just wanted to comment why the UVMA feels this way. As previously stated most breeders don’t use veterinarians because that takes precious profits out of their pockets and that ends up causing the mothers and puppies so many more problems. Even making these procedures illegal to perform won’t stop the breeders from doing it themselves. Its a sitaution between a rock and a hard place.

• mac says:

Hopefully they won’t do this but at the same time they are at least saying that a professional should do this which limits the suffering of the animal should this pass. The one thing that does bug me though PETA is that you are condemning veterinarians with the “become even less caring about animals than it already is” comment. If they didn’t care about animals they wouldn’t take care of your pets and keep them from having diseases that shorten their lives. Please don’t count the fish tossing at Seattle as “not caring” the fish were already dead.

• austin campbell says:

blood boiling…..you’ve GOT to be kidding me riiiiight?!?!

• Sarah says:

I am so upset by this. How could anyone dock tails and ears? It is bad enough when people are lazy and fail to spay and neuter their companions despite PETA offering this lowcost but to actively decide to cause them pain by having a vet chop their ears is just horrid!!

• Candy says:

This is AKC breeders using these vet associations for the AKC’s monetary gain. As for the AKC they ARE the puppy mill industry. Do a google search for “AKC puppy mills” Like httpwww.bogartsdaddy.combouvierBouvPagesarticleinquirepuppymillsAKC.htm It’s all about the money! not veterinary medicine. The funny thing is most of these AKC breeders don’t use vets very often. They give their own innoculations their own vet treatment they don’t want to spend money on vets and diminish profit.