Prisoners Make a Break for It

Written by PETA | July 15, 2010

Animals across Japan are making a bid for freedom (hopefully, captive animals everywhere are taking notes). First, a dolphin who was being forced to perform stupid tricks for loud, obnoxious audiences day in and day out at Japan’s Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium decided that he’d had enough. During a performance, he leaped over the side of his tiny tank. Unfortunately, he landed on the concrete instead of being transported back to his ocean home.

Then, earlier this week, 15 monkeys at Kyoto University’s Primate Research Institute (PRI) escaped from an enclosure (dubbed a “forest home” in news reports—yeah, right) by using tree branches to fling themselves over a 17-foot-high electric fence.

Sadly, freedom was short-lived for the monkeys as well. All the runaways were eventually recaptured. The head of PRI said that the monkeys didn’t stray too far, probably because they wanted to be near the monkeys who were left behind.

Someone should listen to the SOS signals that animals in captivity are sending. Instead of keeping dolphins in chemically treated tanks and forcing them to “dance” for fish or locking monkeys in enclosures so that vivisectors can drill holes into their skulls, attach electrodes to their brains, and fasten small wire coils directly to their eyes to study eye movement (which is what some experimenters at PRI do), we should be leaving animals in the wild.

Please take action today to help us free captive marine mammals and put an end to senseless and cruel experiments on monkeys and other animals.

Written by Shawna Flavell

Comments

• Andrea says:

I saw this on the news and was waiting for the story to come out on this websiteha. That dolphin!This only proves the point that animals can’t speak for themselves so their actions must convey their messages.I’m glad the dolphin is okay but I wish people wouldln’t just think of this as some random act of animal humor for our amusement and look at it as more of a sign that conditions in captivity are too often less than ideal and 90 of the time harmful. Listen to the animals…

• Bry says:

If I was there I sayL “JUMP! JUMP! JUMP!” What a world we live in sad.

• Nicola says:

You can see the other dolphins looking through the tank. This clearly shows that dolphins care for their family and friends. Why don’t aquariums care about that?!

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

Troller if I could I would free all of the animals in Discovery Cove. After which I would take the smallest enclosure fit it out with a couch a bed and some sort of entertainment system. There would be no need for a kitchen as food would be brought in 3 times a day on a schedule. The menu would be what I decided on. I would post a sign on the outside of the enclosure MAN IN HIS NATURAL ENVIORNMENT. I would then lock you in it and charge admission. Then I would sit back and watch how long it took you to lose your mind.

• Steve says:

A good animal rightsvegan friend of mine thinks zoos and aquariums are “educational” for the public. While I do respect her for her views on animals rights and being a longtime vegan I can’t stand zoos and aquariums. They are simply captivity to me. I just adopted a kitten and was told to put her in a cage at night while I sleep. I couldn’t fathom putting a kitten in a cage.

• jordan says:

fish got hops

• ocean17 says:

that is so tragic. people when will you ever learn? this is heartbreaker. i will say a prayer for the dolphin tonight.

• people are disgusting says:

I agree with what John said the first thought in my head made my heart drop seeing all the dolphins gather at the tank watching their friend. That is solid proof animals communicate have feelings emotions etc. Why is this allowed to go on? It makes me so sick and confused to not be able to understand why everyone doesnt feel the way I do.

• troller says:

Nah I like Discovery Cove. No dauphins would take out half the fun. Sooner or later you PETA people would demand the release of the birds too…

• Raquel says:

Oh my goodness! That video makes me want to cry! Once upon a time I used to be the kid who would have to sit in the “splash zone.” Of course I didn’t know then what I know now. My repentance is making sure others know the horrors animals face in captivity. So sad.

• Heather says:

What really got to me was how when the dolphin escaped his tankmates all gathered around him to make sure he was alright. The pool looked big enough to house maybe a single dolphin but everyone knows dolphins need to be in like company. I believe they were too crowded and exhausted from the tricks. They do belong in the ocean. I hope the dolphin didn’t suffer any serious injuries these animals are very close to my heart.

• John Carmody says:

This video is so heartbreaking. Please look at the others in the tank watching on helplessly as their friend is on hard conrete trying to escape for his or her poor life. These aquariums should be ashamed of themselves I just wish the people that pay to go and see this rubbish would have some sort of cop on to realize these animals do not belong in these tanks. Please for everyone reading this posting redouble your efforts to stop cruelty to animals. Thank you from us here at Animal Rights Action Network ARAN.