Prada: I’m Bored With Fur

Written by PETA | February 21, 2007

OK, so admittedly I’m not the world’s biggest fashionista, but even I know that Prada is a big deal in the fashion world. Like, the biggest deal there is. So this is just beyond incredible.

Amazing clothes—no fur. Love you Ms. Prada.
prada.jpg

Not even 24 hours after a PETA Europe member disrupted the Prada fashion show at Milan Fashion Week, and less than a month since PETA reps showed this video to Prada execs in Milan, the mood has swung 180 degrees and founder Miuccia Prada received a bouquet of roses from PETA Europe this morning. The sudden about-face happened because, for the first time in decades—yes, I mean literally decades—there wasn’t a single fur item in Prada’s fall/winter collection. And check this: Miuccia Prada herself said that she is “bored” with real fur. It seems that Prada has finally realized what we’ve been saying for years, that designing with fur is unimaginative as hell, not to mention cruel.

Prada’s new line is called “Fake Classic”—I love it. Check out this incredible orange faux-fur coat. I guess this is what “Fake Classic” means.

prada2.jpg

Prada’s announcement is making headlines worldwide, but my favorite one so far is from a huge paper in Australia: “Animal liberationists scored a victory today when Milan’s style matron, Miuccia Prada, proclaimed she was bored with fur.” Are we on a roll or what? We finished up last year with heavyweights Kenneth Cole, J.Crew, Ann Taylor, and Ralph Lauren going fur free, started this year off with a bang with the Marc Bouwer show, and now this amazing news from Prada.

It all just makes Burberry seem that much more out of touch.

Comments

• Kristenn says:

so um im kristen and i dont think ppl should use furs! yea but im doing a debate that says we should use furs………. lol

• Madge says:

If the item is nice fur or not I’ll wear it!

• sophia says:

im so happy they stopped using fur.

• Violet says:

I’m a vegetarian but I don’t see the problem with fur if it is crueltyfree. I love furs and I think they are beautiful.

• Maddie says:

I love that there doing that. Fur no way!!!

• Monique says:

It is so amazing that Prada has taken the initiative not to use real fur! They have set an example by showing the other designers how amazing their designs and clothing are and that fur really is boring! Hopefully many more designers will follow suit! You have gained so many more supporters!! Well done Prada!

• megan says:

hopefully this will continue season to season… not just because she is bored with it for a bit… bravo prada if that is the case! boooo to burberry. honestly burberry is losing popularity anyway. hopefully it will get with the times!

• Alicu says:

Amazing I’m so pleased that many more fashion designers are choosing to be FUR FREE!!! by taking this step we can make a difference in the lives of animals and how they are treated….say no to real fur!!!

• Kurry says:

this is extremely magnificent because it really sets a great example to all the fur wearers especially in the fashion district!!!!

• johnathon says:

IM bored shitless

• jenifer says:

What’s Up! … BURBERRY? How much more INFORMATION do you need? My friends little boy a 5 year old and a vegetarian by choice let me cut the outside sleeve label off his winter coat! As young as he was we were NOT going to disallow him to wear his jacket but he wanted NO part of what he was wearing showing the visual Burberry TAG! Dad he said “Why do people want to make clothes out of Animal that have to die? It’s not even that cold out I don’t think i’ll wear my coat anymore!” Way to GO PRADA! I knew you would DO GOOD …

• Jo says:

A victorious day indeed. Thank you Prada I will not allow my daughter to buy Burberry at untill they stop using fur. Come on Burberry follow prada’s example and you would make my daughter very happy.

• toni says:

God bless your decision Prada. It is wonderful news I hope this is a forever commitment. She is too talented to need fur in her line. I’m sure the animal world breathed a HUGE sigh of relief I know I did. Way to go Prada!

• alexa says:

my mother owns a clothing store so naturally she carries clothing with fur on it. she wants me to inherit her business but i just didnt think i could do it because of her inhumane articles of clothing. but now that prada is taking the initiative to step away from fur this will definitely influence many designers and perhaps allow me to enter this otherwise cruel industry. THANK YOU PRADA!! YOU GUYS ARE DOPE!

• Lauran Brown says:

That’s great news! I hope she remains “bored” with using fur forever! Thank you Prada!

• Kris Shulfer says:

simply fabulous!!

• lola says:

wow this is great!!

• Marketa Bankova says:

Its a great news and the coat on the picture lookes much more better than a real fur by the way. I look for this style for a long time… When can I buy something like it and where?

• Jill says:

Its great to see a great fashion company is using alternatives to fur. I hate the fact animals have to die for fashion its all too cruel!

• Katie says:

Long ago I was able to go a protest against Kfc and ect. This time in the year 2007 I was able to get half of my class and lower grades to go on strike. It is such a relf to know some of the top desingers are protecting animals. I mean if they can anyone can. I’m glad to know that I can still look good with out killing the helpless animals! GO PETA!

• Danielle says:

I still think it is pathetic for any fashion industry to use real fur every fashion industry should be shown the video of animals being killed for fur maybe then they might change their mind about it and i can’t beileve that the fashion industry still think’s fur is ‘fashionable’ personally i am disgusted for anyone who wears it. But well done to Prada.

• Sue Hubbard says:

Hopefully other designers and fashionistas will take note. Absolutely no fur should be worn by people. Ever. There is no excuse. Good on Prada and lets hope it’s not just a phase ‘because they are bored with fur’.

• Hye Kwon says:

My older sister Hyeji recently modeled at that fashion show above. I’m a vegan and I really support this movement Prada is starting. I met Ms. Prada herself and congratulated her on her stepping forward against this horror of torture and murder. She’s a kind women really she is. I hope she stays with this groundbreaking trend. Boo to other fashion lines who keep killing animals. Also think of it like this other fashion companies Fashion is all about mkaing a statement so why are you following the crowd by killing animals for fur. Think about that.

• Bousseau Catherine says:

I just saw Jean Paul Gauthier and Galiano new collection on the news most of the collection has fur we should boycot these people

• Alexandra Santos says:

Prada WOW!!! PETA you are the best. This makes my day. Thanks Prada for doing the right thing.

• tamanna says:

i love you peta! this is great news. PRADE GOES CRUELTY FREE!! YIPPEE!!! cheers to peta n prada

• Kelsey says:

i think that if animals don’t wear us than we have no right to wear animals. Do onto others as you would want them to do onto you.BE FUR FREE!!!!!!!!!!

• Micah says:

Don’t get to excited just as fashion is always moving forward you can be sure of one thing…that is that Ms. Prada is always looking to new textiles and fabrics. So don’t be surprised if in the next Fall runway shows you see fox fur or some random type of animal skin on display in beautiful Milan.

• Tim Hunt says:

I can only pray that JLO and beyonce follow suit. watch this space…..

• Sam says:

I think this is amazing news.Im so glad to see designers stop using reall fur. The more designers and celebrites who stop using reall fur the more people will start falling the trend and hoppefully wearing fake fur.GO PETA

• Samantha says:

That is awesome.

• kathryn says:

yeah! Fur is dead almost in the fashion world. Now it leaves Burberry. Hmmmmmmmm.

• julia says:

HAPPY HAPPYHAPPY

• Amber says:

Thats so amazing what prada has done and burberry does need to get with the program. Peta…your amazingg! 33

• Lauren says:

How does saying she is “bored” ensure that she will never use fur again? PETA should use this oppourtune moment to speak with Ms.Prada about giving up fur entirely. Then and only then can I give Prada my full support.

• riyad says:

wow thats great!!! a big thanks to miuccia prada for this colletion i hope prada will stay furfree!!! im happy to hear this!

• Greg says:

Burberry is not out of touch should you know anything about fashion fur is HOT during fall. As i have said in my previous post if the demand halts so will the killing . i say educate the people not torture the designers .

• Brittany says:

This is great.. I agree I hope she continues to be furfreebut for now this is saying something. With the way fashon works others inspire others hopefully more retailers will find this interesting and want to be like prada furfree!!

• CM says:

this is great news.. however i can totally see what everyone is saying here.. i hope this isnt just a phase.. i hope the statement about being bored was just made for the sake of sounding like a designer.. i also hope gucci and burberry will take some initiative and stop using fur

• rmdevotion says:

Maybe she felt that she needed to say she was bored rather than sound too political within her industry by saying it is wrong. Besides if she says it was wrong publically that makes her look like a villain for the last several years. She is a mega designer she probably feels a need to be careful with what she says. Perhaps behind the scenes she’s realized fur is extremely cruel. Regardless it’s still a huge statement that she’s using faux fur instead of the real thing. Doesn’t matter what reason she has given.

• Daniella says:

YAY!! omg i cant belive it im so happy for once they listend and godo job guys for makeing this happen 33 peta33

• Dean says:

This is amazing news just amazing. But being bored of fur is not a good enough excuse in my opinion. To people like us who see the unimaginable torture that animals go through for their fur we know that there was just no need for it a long time ago. fur should be stopped because it is cruel not just because someone becomes bored with it they could easily become unbored with it again and that’s not a good thing. However still fantastic news and I hope others follow suit.

• JJ says:

I guess I can buy my wife that Prada bag now. But lets say in 2 5 or 10 yrs fur makes a comeback which just happened…… will Prada right there putting it on the runways? I hope this is more than boredom but a real committment.

• jennifer says:

We shouldnt love her now just because she isnt using fur as shes ‘bored’!!! that ridiculous! she shouldnt be using it because she realises how cruel it is not because shes bored!!!

• Melanie says:

I also wish that all the fashion industries would become like Prada. “NO FUR” Animals need to be protected.

• Melanie Kaldani says:

Yes I agree with this statement “Animals are not ours to wear”! NO FUR!

• Andrew Woods says:

If this is really true and not just a dream so today me and my friends drink a toast to prada! F E L I C I T A T I O N S !!!

• Marce says:

This is really great news. I hope it lasts…

• kea says:

I think its great that prada have decided not to use furr in their new winter range they set an example for the whole fashion world i only hope that others follow in the good footsteps of prada. it show that you can still look fabulous and have great taste but that nothing has to die for people vanity. Great example prada!

• kelly says:

Wow! Some actual CREATIVITY in the fashion world instead of trotting out the same derivative crap season in season out. Prada still has it!!!