Thanks to Mayor de Blasio, NYC’s Horse-Drawn Carriages Will Finally Get to Retire

Written by Guest Blogger | March 17, 2014

The following post was written by P!nk:

Paramount PicturesJon Kopaloff/FilmMagic.com

Five years ago, I appeared on a PETA billboard in Times Square to give the campaign against horse-drawn carriages in New York City a boost. I was proud to help make this issue a hot topic, and I’m thrilled that we now have the enthusiastic support of the city’s new mayor, Bill de Blasio.

Watching a horse gallop across a field is one of the most calming sights imaginable. Watching a horse dodge traffic—nose to tailpipe and spooked by horns, sirens, and pounding music—is one of the most upsetting. This Buzzfeed story from last week says it all.

I grew up caring for horses and mucking stalls for my aunt, who owns a horse farm in North Carolina. I learned that horses are very social herd animals who, by nature, spend their days grazing, playing, and running together. Sadly, the 220 horses in New York City in the carriage industry endure a miserable, solitary life, forced to navigate through midtown traffic in all weather extremes pulling heavy loads of tourists.

Routine accidents have left horses dead and people in the hospital. When not working, the horses don’t live in barns but in cramped stalls in an old tenement building without even enough room to stretch out. When they are finally freed, I will be among the first to adopt one of these horses so that he or she can live as nature intended.

Luckily for everyone, Mayor de Blasio has found a win-win solution for all. His plan to phase out the inhumane horse carriages and replace them with vintage electric cars will provide solid jobs for the current carriage drivers and loving homes for the horses. Please join me in showing support for Mayor de Blasio and his commitment to giving the horses the peaceful retirement that they deserve. You can show your gratitude by tweeting a message to @BilldeBlasio and using the hashtag #TYDeBlasio.

Comments

• Melanie Mahoney Stopyra says:

Thank you Pink for bringing this to the forefront, and God Bless Mayor de Blasio. This is an old “tradition” that needs to be retired. Every time I go to NYC I get sick to my stomach looking at these poor horses being used and abused. Last summer, it was so hot, I asked the driver of a horse carriage to get the horse some fresh water. He told me “the horse is fine, mind your own business.” What an ass. Shame on Liam Neeson and any person who says the horse carriages need to stay, obviously they couldn’t care less about these animals. It’s like saying the Bull Run in California or Spain are a tradition, if it’s animal abuse, it needs to stop. Don’t give up the fight, someone has to speak for the innocents.

• Cynthia Ferraro says:

I am so happy this is finally being banned. Being an NYC resident, I constantly see these poor horses on the street looking miserable as ever. I couldn’t help but go up to one in Times Square that was stationary and I started petting the poor thing. He was so cute and should live freely. This news makes me so happy.

• Bec says:

Fantastic. Every small change makes a difference. :) so pleased to read something nice.

• Cheryl russell says:

This is great news for these horses please help to stop it in melbourne Australia good on you pink

• Christy Steinert says:

These poor horses don’t know what its like to be a horse!! Pink is correct this must STOP!

• REX MADDEN says:

THANKS TO THE MAYOR

• Susan weaver says:

I totally agree, I rode in one years ago & was terrified for the horse the whole time we were in traffic. I hope they ban

• Kathrine Walker says:

Thank you so much Alecia. I am sickened by any inhumane treatment to animals and will support any cause to end their suffering. You have done such a fantastic job in raising this awareness and ceasing the misery of these beautiful animals. They deserve so much more! And Yes, please come to Melbourne Australia and help us to do the same here in our city. I will be the first one of many to stand by your side.

• Liz says:

How wonderful. I wish Salt Lake City would follow this lead!

• Marit Aagaard says:

Hello from Norway!
    I am so happy that you have given these horses a voice! Finally! Thank you so much! As a horse owner myself I know how much the herd means to my horse, without it he is so stressed and upset. So it breaks my heart into a thousand pieces looking into these horses eyes and see the endless pain, constant fear and complete emptiness whilst hundreds of people just pass by without even noticing. I am so glad that you, a person with so many “followers”, choose to care and take action, well done! Respect. Now more people will probably think before they just pay for an animal to suffer…! In 2014 it is ignorance not to speak out when these animals so clearly suffer, why let this continue even for one more day? These horses deserves to be placed where they belong! And that is not in a city pulling a carriage around to amuse people!
    Keep up the good work!!

• This is wonderful news ,so glad the horses will beable 2 live out there lives in peace

• Christine Rona says:

So Glad to see this, I just visited NYC and I cry everytime I see these beautiful horses being abused. When is the official date? Does anyone know? Should we set a specific day and have a rally? What can we do to speed up this decision by the mayor and also what will become of the horses? Do we need to raise money for their survival?