PETA’s Statement on Eagles Vick Signing

Written by PETA | August 14, 2009

PETA and millions of decent football fans around the world are disappointed that the Philadelphia Eagles have chosen to sign a man who hanged dogs from trees, electrocuted them with jumper cables, held them underwater until they drowned in his swimming pool, and even threw his own family dogs into the fighting pit to be torn to shreds while he laughed. What sort of message does this send to young fans who care about animals and don’t want to see them be harmed?

PETA certainly hopes that Vick has learned his lesson and feels truly remorseful for his crimes—but since he’s given no public indication that that’s the case, only time will tell. At this point, all Eagles fans can do is cross their fingers and hope that they won’t ever have to explain to their sons and daughters what a “rape rack” is and why their favorite player was using one, as Falcons fans once had to.

Written by Dan Shannon

Update: Many people have asked us how to complain to the NFL. You can send an e-mail to the NFL through its official contact form here. You can call the main office of the Philadelphia Eagles at 215-463-2500, and you can find mailing addresses here.

Also, please click here to join PETA in asking the NFL to require all its players—some of whom have been involved in a series of cruelty-to-animals cases—to attend PETA’s “Developing Empathy for Animals” course. You can also urge the NFL to take cases of animal abuse seriously in the future by updating its policy on personal conduct.

Comments

• katf says:

I cannot believe that people still look up to and want Vick anywhere near them. The things he’s done to those poor dogs is an abomination. They are living breathing beings that suffer, feel pain and want love and acceptance. It’s humbling to know that dogs love us unconditionally – Vick didn’t and doesn’t deserve that love. He and those like him are sick. He’s trash in my eyes.

• Ashlen says:

Say what you want about peta, but I don’t need them to help make up my mind about this. I just can’t watch or root for the eagles anymore. Shame on them for signing Vick after what was uncovered about him. I refuse to support abuse, suffering, and torture in any way, shape or form. Even if that means having to turn one of my favorite sports off.

• Donna Frizzell says:

I don’t believe he has “learned” his lesson. That depth of cruelty speaks volumes about a lack of sensitivity in his dna. Ok he served his sentence. But another animal? NEVER. . . . .

• Ken says:

He paid his debt to society by serving time in a federal prison. I doubt he would repeat this crime. But, as much as I’m a vegan-loving supporter of PETA, there is a bigger picture here. Your typical NFL fan eats dead animals by habit. Dogs and cats deserve our humanity. But banning Vick from football will not address the animal abuses on the innocent farm animals who show up dead at tail-gate parties and in the hot dog stand.

• Wolverine77 says:

I think Vick is a true POS and should have done hard time for what he did and been banned from Professional football for life. Its funny that Pete Rose bets on sports and goes to prison, and gets a lifetime ban but Vick goes to prison, gets reinstated, and is allowed to have another dog. I personally think he should been locked for the rest of his life for that. Like someone else commented earlier when they asked if people cared more about animals than people, well I do. Most people suck and animals will always love you and never judge you. I would expect the same punishments for people that murder other people though. You should never take anothers life unless its absoultely necessary

• colleen says:

I think it is completely ridiculous that professional athletes can commit crimes, serve significantly less time than “normal” people would have to for the said crime, and then walk away scot-free. I cannot believe that some fans still love Vick because he is a good quarterback (and frankly, he isn’t even that good of a player). I could never look past what he did to those animals. Clearly he is not remorseful if he can walk away from his actions and still earn millions of dollars a year playing football with no more legal punishments in place for him. Our legal system is so messed up!

• whippetgirl says:

This human is a disgrace to his team and his family. It’s hard to believe that others want to play along side of him. Shame on the Eagles for signing him and allowing him a public profile.

• carolyn says:

some of you people or about as SICK as vicks is I would love to have that thing for about one day AND DO HIM WANT he did to them DOGS!!!he should never have another ANIMAL of any kind I may go to HELL but hes going to be there to GUESS what? hes MINE that will be SO nice I WOULD NOT PEE ON HIM IF HE WAS ON FIRE!!!!

• Terrie chambers says:

Iam grieving over the fact that a person who is so devoid of basic compassion for life on any level is allowed to have any breathing creature under his power. There is no question to his character . The horror of his actions are second to no one through history and would sicken anyone. These animals are here for as as stated in the bible we are to be good stewards of these creatures all of them. Not to be cruel on any level . Again Michael Vick should not be allowed under any circumstance to have an animal . Most hated man well yes . Please report any question of animal abuse ALWAYS . Thank you for not just listening but for hearing.

• karmavegan says:

I personally think Michael Vick is no more guilty than anyone that eats meat. When one eats meat, they contribute to the horrible and unnecessary cruelty and exploitation that these animals experience. Just because one did not kill the animal does not mean that person is not complicit in this crime towards innocent animals. “You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity” said Ralph Waldo Emerson. I cannot think of anything more hypocritical than criticizing someone like Vick when the average American is doing the same or worse every single day and does not see this as being immoral. A meat-eater needs to look at oneself in the mirror first before criticizing others.

• Marjorie Jennings says:

I am so glad to see that PETA has put this up for comments. Vick should NEVER be allowed to have any more animals, especially a dog! This is a sick system to allow someone that was cruel to his dogs to have any kind of animal. How did he get another dog? And, for these people to not be able to see what’s wrong with him having a dog, I say, what’s wrong with them. This man IS a sociopath and some agency should be constantly checking on his treatment of this dog. Anybody that treated dogs the way he did will never change. It’s built in to his DNA. He is someone to be feared. Who gave permission for him to own another dog? I’d like to write them a letter. He should never have another animal, EVER!

• Sarine says:

@diane devine Michael Vick is the “scum of the earth” just because he killed dogs. Really? Seems to me that you place more value on the life of animals than you do on humans. Vick did what he did and he’s sorry about it. Who cares if he gets a new dog? Do you honestly believe that he’s going to kill it after everything he’s been through?

• Ben says:

He’s learned his lesson. So what if he gets a dog? Do you honestly believe that he would stoop down and kill it again?

• Ben says:

• vicksucksandsodotheeagles says:

I was in a work meeting and it came up and two ignorant women said oh he paid for it already he’s given money and he apologized. I wanted to reach across the table and smack them when the next thing that came out of their mouths were..it was a dog, not a person. It made me sick to my stomach and so do the Eagles. Animals feel just like humans! what don’t you people get about that?

• Mandy says:

I thought it was ordered that he was NOT to have anymore dogs!!! How the hell did he get a new one? Way to go for our JUSTICE SYSTEM!!!

• diane devine says:

NEWS ALERT – HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT THIS SCUMBAG OF THE EARTH HAS GOTTEN HIMSELF A NEW DOG ? !!! HOW CAN THIS BE, HE SHOULD NOT EVEN BE ALLOWED TO HAVE A STUFFED ANIMAL, LET ALONE A REAL DOG!!! MAKES ME SICK!! HE SHOULD BE HANGED AND ELECTROCUTED,AND THAT’S JUST FOR STARTERS!! HE IS PURE SCUM!! PART OF HIS SENTENCE SHOULD BE THAT HE NEVER BE ALLOWED TO OWN ANOTHER DOG FOR HIS ENTIRE LIFETIME !!

• jean polous says:

He should be ashamed of himself and took a good hard look in the mirror and see what he sees.

• freespirit44 says:

He is a control freak, a psychopath, a sociopath, and a man without a conscience. He, indeed needs to donate money to animal welfare. What is wrong with our world when we allow this horrible, horrible excuse of a human being, back into the game? It tells our children that we turn our backs on morals, ethics, and humanness to be hedonistic. I do not understand how he ever was accepted back.

• DJ says:

@Krystie I know your probably not gonna see this but wishing anything like that another person no matter what their crimes is juvenille and in my opinon, pretty fucked up. In respnse i say shame on you for stooping to his level by wishing that on him. fuck you

• karina says:

i was directed to this blog by 30 bananas a day i m going to sign up for peta e-news so as not to forget to remember these blogs although i d rather not have come here in the first place this has saddened me but i m glad there re so many good people who care nearly everyone can relate some cruelty story to animals from their experiences of life there must be change i m glad i found raw-vegan lifestyle,but yet it has thrown me in a new way to be aware of these horror of horrors in a very painful way i feel like a perpetrator of these acts by not acting PASSIONATELY in some way (how?)to stop the cruel acts but inside me,i just want to hit these people and physically attack them so that just shows how violent i and MY world possibly is and nothing else is there any hope of change at all on positive side EVERY animal saved is ONE less suffering patience,one step at a time job. Thank you.

• Luna says:

vick is sick-and not a good type of sick

• Oonaugh says:

I agree he needs to start donating his money to animals rights groups. He is a power freak and needs psychiatric counseling.

• Dawn Moak says:

At the very least, if Vick is going to receive millions of dollars for his so called NFL Career, then he should donate a portion to some kind of animal charity. He really has never said he was sorry for what he did. Now he wants to get a family dog for his kids? Really? He should be a man and tell his kids why he can NEVER EVER have an animal in his house again. This man has no respect for animals and he should be donating some of that Eagles money to animal charites so this will never happen again.

• Lawrence says:

To me the biggest sadness of this signing is the calculation by the Eagles that on balance it will be a monetarily good thing for them – that the negative impact among fans will be small relative to the benefits. And sadly, they could be right. It would take a boycott of their games or something similar to change that.

• Tasha says:

It saddens and sickens me that its all about the cash these days. The NFL: doesnt give a shit as long as he can make them money.

• 010cg714 says:

I wonder how the Egales owners would feel if their childern were put in the ring with the poor dogs this peice of garbage ran? Let them understand whatkind of a puke this person is that these a-holes are paying money to. hmmm maybe?

• debbi says:

psychopaths never change their behavior, they just hide it better. this man deserves nothing

• Rocco Sirico says:

Michael should be behind bars

• Tracey says:

AMEN 2 THAT SUZANNE! DOGS NEED AIR 2 BREATHE, WATER, FOOD, SHELTER, ETC. SO HOW AGAIN ARE THEY NOT IN SUM WAY SIMILIAR Bob Cob?! BTW, Vick the PRICK is in NO way the best QB in the NFL, that HONOR goes 2 JOE MONTANA!

• Peggy Bergstresser says:

So BobCob says July 2012,” EVERYone deserves a 2nd chance..If you don`t agree..you deserve to die.” Well Bob, did the animals on Vick`s property get to ask for a second chance? I`m gonna say..NO. People like you posting threats need a 2nd chance looking into as far as I`m concerned. Stay out of PETA`S site.They`ll be keeping an eye on you. If people don`t agree with you, they should die? What planet are you from?!

• suzanne says:

BOB COB!seriously!!! are you really the narrowminded?? If a person any person killed or abused a person the way that micheal vick did they would not be allowed to adopt a child..before you bark back at me and tell me not to compare a dog to a child….know this..a life is a life regardless of how it walks, talks or breathes..NO ONE was put on earth to be someone else’s toy in any capacity

• Kathy says:

Seems like all the NFL cares about is money.  You can be a [text cut] vicious abusers of animals and it’s all okay because of their bottom line.

• Ramiro says:

@Bob Cob….The best QB in the NFL?? Not only do you have ridiculous views on Vick as a person, but you are smoking MAJOR crack….Wow

• Bob Cob says:

Michael Vick best QB in the NFL. Everyone deserve a second chance. Anyone who doesn’t think so deserves to die. Vick is a changed man from the days when he had a minor role in funding dog fighting.

• Rebekah says:

This “man” is allowed to walk among the rest of us. That is already too much to give him, but to reward him further? This country is a confused place. The cruelty of this guy is supposed to have changed? Are you kidding?!!!

• cheermomls says:

I just sent a scathing but heartfelt letter to the NFL…I suggest we all do the same bec the bottom line is MONEY and if they think ppl will stop supporting football maybe they will finally get him OFF the field where he continues to make millions and sticking his finger up at all the dogs whose lives he ruined and destroyed. I truly believe there is a special hell for ppl who abuse animals…

• Krystie says:

People like him don’t deserve nor should they EVER get any type of ‘second’ chance. All we can hope for is that he dramatically damages his legs preferably knee caps; that would see the end of his football days for good. Or maybe even a spinal injury thus making him a paraplegic……

• jacquie lemont says:

Vicks is an evil pyschopath he can not redeem himself no matter what he says or does, he does not deserve to play football or have an opportunity to participate in a civilized society.

• Adam says:

Vick is a terrible person for what he did, but lucky for him he is talented. However his, and the eagles responsibility to act as role models to the youth of the nation? It’s stupid, parenting should lead youth to real role models, not just nice guys who can play sports. Vick got a second chance that he didn’t deserve, but football is fueled by money and publicity by controversy. This was a transaction just like the fur trade or the slave trade. All we can do is strive to make ourselves and loved ones better people from his mistakes and leave his fate in the hands of lawmakers and those whom it pertain to.

• Kriss says:

In my opinion Vick will never be,nor should be forgiven for his SICK, CRUEL beyond belief TWISTED ACTS!!! I think he’s a poor excuse for a human being, and a disgusting example of a father for his children. He proclaims to repent only because he got caught for his unimaginable CRIMES!!! It’s beyond belief that the NFL would even fathom him representing them:-( No question that he’s a psychopath of the worst kind. Can’t help but wonder what else he’s done that we’ll never ever know about in re: of animal ABUSE. I hope efforts will continue to be spent on tracking down/taking down dispicable animal abuser’s just like Michael Vick!!! I can only hope I’ll be around to see the day that law’s will change with a sense of SANITY, & real COMPASSION to really HAMMER guys like this!!!

• PETA says:

Metacom: In fact, we have met Michael Vick. He spent an entire day at PETA. Read more here: http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/tags/Michael+Vick/default.aspx?PageIndex=3

• Metacom says:

It’s funny how so many of you think you are experts on Vick’s character claiming that he’s not sorry or not remorseful for his crimes, when I doubt any of you have actually talked to him or met him in real life. You base your opinions on his ‘remorsefullness’ by him not crying at every interview applogizing for what he did? How about looking at his actions and what he has done in an effort to stop this type of animal cruelty. He has gone to countless events, donated more money than most have you will ever make in a lifetime to raise awareness. If it were not for him getting caught and serving his time and now raising awareness, I am sure there would be more crime and slaying of helpless animals. Vick was a product of his upbring and raised to be a monster in his heartless and countless murders of animals, but now that his vicious crimes have been brought to light he has saved more animals than anybody knows. I think efforts should be better spent on real issues like drug trafficing to kids, or how about Donte Stallworth who murdered a 6 year old while drunking driving and was only banned from the NFL for 1 year. Vick is continuing his rehibilitation and I hope once he retires from football he makes a great effort to further awareness of how wrong he was in his past. Unlike most of you who can just forget mistakes you’ve made in the past, Vick will be forever haunted and reminded of his crimes, I think that is punishment enough.

• lisa says:

Vick is sick, very severely disturbed and he does not feel bad for the actions he took. He does not deserve to play for any sport team whatsoever. He deserves much more jail time, and since he has no remorse he is likely to commit the same despicable acts again. Philadelphia Eagles need to be ashamed adding this a**hole to the team.

• nosirrm says:

I, for one, am thrilled that the Eagles have such a terrible record, and that Vick has such problems. What goes around, comes around….

• LINDA TAILFORD says:

I know that I don’t FORGET or FORGIVE the disgusting behavior of Vick. Yes, he served a little time for it but the punishment was not enough. I don’t care what he does professionally….NO ONE should look up to him.

• greyfel says:

Michael Vick only apologized after he was found out and jailed. How long would the torture and murder of pitbulls and other animals associated with dogfighting have gone on? He did not voluntarily stop the cruelty. He was exposed and charged with a crime and then and only then did he show repentance. I believe that his repentance stemmed from his desire to regain his status as a football player. That is the only thing Vick knows how to do to make a living. He will say or do anything to protect his football career. The Eagles don’t give a rat’s ass about pitbulls or dogfighting cruelty…if they did they never would have hired Michael Vick. I believe that his association with the Humane Society and his speeches against dog fighting are only done to protect his football job. I have no respect for Michael Vick or the Philadelphia Eagles football team or the men who decided to hire him in spite of his horrible reputation. He gave no second chances to the dogs he tortured, he doesn’t get one from me.EVER.

• Carol Constantino says:

I can’t stand hearing people defend Vick. What he did was very scary. Usually when people abuse animals they go on to bigger and worse crimes. That’s where they start. A man like that should not be free, let alone representing Philadelphia. I don’t believe people like that can change. If he could do it once, it’s the way he is!