PETA’s Statement on Eagles Vick Signing

Written by PETA | August 14, 2009

PETA and millions of decent football fans around the world are disappointed that the Philadelphia Eagles have chosen to sign a man who hanged dogs from trees, electrocuted them with jumper cables, held them underwater until they drowned in his swimming pool, and even threw his own family dogs into the fighting pit to be torn to shreds while he laughed. What sort of message does this send to young fans who care about animals and don’t want to see them be harmed?

PETA certainly hopes that Vick has learned his lesson and feels truly remorseful for his crimes—but since he’s given no public indication that that’s the case, only time will tell. At this point, all Eagles fans can do is cross their fingers and hope that they won’t ever have to explain to their sons and daughters what a “rape rack” is and why their favorite player was using one, as Falcons fans once had to.

Written by Dan Shannon

Update: Many people have asked us how to complain to the NFL. You can send an e-mail to the NFL through its official contact form here. You can call the main office of the Philadelphia Eagles at 215-463-2500, and you can find mailing addresses here.

Also, please click here to join PETA in asking the NFL to require all its players—some of whom have been involved in a series of cruelty-to-animals cases—to attend PETA’s “Developing Empathy for Animals” course. You can also urge the NFL to take cases of animal abuse seriously in the future by updating its policy on personal conduct.

Comments

• diane says:

I am ashamed of my species. How disgusting??…nothing else to say…

• Bonnie Hartzel says:

Sorry to learn that the Eagles signed Vick so quickly. Want to see 1st how serious Vick is about helping dogs is he receiving counseling? I would like to see Vick donate a certain amount of his salary to an animal welfare organization for each game the he plays in. Since I live in Philly also want to see him publicly involved on the streets with our local SPCA’s. It would be great with supervision only that he assist with kennel clean up etc. The house next door to me is FOR SALE. My dream is that he buys it and I can keep an eye on him!!! Plus I have 5 rescue dogs and would love to have him visit my home. He may never have had the opportunity to see a pet owner in a regular neighborhood living with dogs who are unconditionally loved.

• DEANNE CHAPMAN says:

I just hope cntinues to give some of those big earnings to the welfare homeless and mistreated animals.and try to educate others who did what he did. deanne chapman

• sally tabasco says:

Please let me know when PETA protests are scheduled as i live just a couple of hours outside Philly. We have to show a united strong front againt this “indifferent” attitude towards animal abuse just for the sake of the almighty dollar!! How disgusting and sad.

• Scott says:

I’m a huge NFL fan and I have never been so disappointed with the league. I love my Steelers and will watch them all year long but I will protest my disgust by boycotting every single sponsor of the NFL. Hit em where it hurts their bottom line. They won’t care if you protest losing money is the only language these people speak. Turn the heat up on their sponsors.

• raz says:

I am an animal lover and have two dogs of my own and understand what he has done but everyone deserves a second chance and he has lost a lot and has went through the court system and has payed for it and will for the rest of his life. I grew up in the bronx where i saw this everyday and wondered often how people can do that. I have had friends that grew up where there family members did that and actually thought it was ok. Its sad but this is a chance to spend money showing and teaching peoplethat its wrong so please dont waste money and the support that you have now. this is PETA’s time to shine and teach. dont waist it on one man.

• Alexis says:

Living in Philadelphia I am certainly going to be outside the stadium protesting. Who will be at the first protest and when to start?

• David Fisher says:

I live very close to Philadelphia and am a professional photographer. I WAS an Eagles fan for 35 years but they can go to hell now. I’d love to help Peta protest these scumbags in any way I can. What can I do to help?

• Darlene says:

I know we cannot stop anyone from watching football Eagles however something should be done so that Vick does not get any promotions from tv ads reebok etc… Who in the world would purchase his jersey???

• Valerie says:

I grew up in Philly though I don’t live there now. I refuse to be intimidated by threats of Eagles fans disrupting protests. I will gladly take my place with Peta to protest this malicious thug playing for the Eagles. Please call the Eagles office 2154632500 and let them know what you think.

• Gregg Thomas says:

What Michael Vick did to dogs was inhumane and immoral in my opinion. Thankfully his dogfighting operation was discovered and closed down in Virginia. More importantly he was punished for the horrendous things he did to dogs. I feel that Vick got what he deserved by spending two years in federal prison having his assests liquidated money taken away and hopefully realizing the impact his erroneous decisions have affected animal lovers. I have no problem with Philadelphia taking a chance on him. I don’t think PETA should boycott Eagle games. It’s tough to say Vick deserves a second chance but the man has gone through incarceration through our legal system. He does have a right to try and earn a living by playing football again. Maybe he can find a way on the football field and in the community of Philadelphia to redeem and repent? Lets not cast stones so quickly here. If he screws up again then he deserves to have the book thrown at thim. Not many people get the chance to play in the NFL again after doing what he did. He does seem remorseful thus far and is being mentored by one of the best people the NFL has to offer in Tony Dungy.

• Gillian M Hatch Carlsen says:

Please post protest info so that we can all turn out! Email the NFL and Philadelphia Eagles not surprising he was signed by a Pennsylvania team Lancaster Co. PA is home to the worst puppy mills in the nation… Also we need to protest any corporation who endorses Vick. A true example of greed trumping ethics.

• Kate Jones says:

Very disappointed that the Eagles did not have more dignity then this. To allow someone into your organization that tortures and kills animals is not someone you want to put up on a pedestal. Protesting every game!!!

• Jtmd99 says:

I will be responding to this decision by cancelling the NFL season ticket and not watching games as long as he remains in the league.

• michelle says:

What can we do about Vick back at the nfl ? This is so wrong. Crime does pay!

• Rick says:

I am not a huge PETA supporter but this action by the Eagles has stirred such an emotional response in me that I had to let you know that as long as Vick is an Eagle I cannot support them. I hope that someday my team The Eagleswill return to the level of character they proport to have.

• A Joseph Stoddart says:

I agree wholly and entirely with Peta’s position on Vick. I cannot forgive nor will I ever forget what he did.

• d says:

i liked philly until now!!!!!! i have already thrown away my eagles gear. signing vick shows that morals mean nothing to the eagles. just in case people dont know serial killers started toturing animals before they started on humans. vick has mental issues and should not live within society.

• Roger Dent says:

PETA need to organize protests at EVERY Game the The Eagles play Home or away i would show up with my Greyhound also donate some money to help the program

• Joshua Hantman says:

I will do all I can to protest this disgusting man playing on the eagles. I intend to write several angry letters to the philly newspapers today as well as the sick Eagles administration. I also plan to put up flyers around my neighborhood to protest this atrocity. I hope you all do the same.

• Jenna says:

I too hope so much that the fans will protest aggressively at all the Eagles games. How could a person so brutally cruel possibly change. That behavior is innate. I do not believe this is possible and that he is only being political. I think he would still do the same thing if he thought he wouldn’t get caught and he could make money.

• Holly says:

I am disgusted by the Philadelphia Eagles. As a former Eagles fan I will tell you I am offically no longer an eagles fan. I am a fan of everyteam they are playing. I am sad for the city of Philadelphia.

• Kelly McCorry says:

I am a Philly girl! I love my town but today is a horrible day for me. I am so disgusted by the Eagles for signing a convicted dog killer. It makes me sick. I have started a group on facebook called Dog Owners Against Michael Vick. We are over 500 members strong already. WE would like to organize a protest at the first Eagles game. I would love to hear from PEta and their fans.

• roadrunner says:

You guys have taken the high road every time congratulations. You are never reactionary but you always act. I don’t know how you stay on top of everything but maybe you have better brainpower on your team than the Eagles have on theirs!

• Pamela Stevens says:

What are the Eagles thinking? Why would a high profile team want this man to represent them to their fans and the world. Their excuse is that he is a talented man. Ted Bundy and Charles Manson were talented men. It takes a lot of talent to abuse helpless animals. I only hope that Eagles fans talk with their purses and boycott the games. I am disgusted that anyone would consider that Michael Vick is a changed man.

• Christine says:

If you make a mistake or an error in judgement wouldn’t you want a second chance? Forgive him and let’s move on. He has been punished for his crime.

• Gail says:

PLEASE please protest every game at home and away! This thug has shown no real remorse for the killings that took place by his own hands! Its time for all animal lovers to stand up and be counted. Pls publicize the protests so that everyone can join in. I know I will!

• Jeffrey Boyer says:

It’s nice that Pennsylvania a state that can never seem to pass a strong bill that will finally rid the commonwealth of Puppy Mills has a new Poster Boy! The Eagles organization should be ashamed of themselves!

• Tammy says:

I am sickened by this Thank God the Titans didnt sign him because I would have never watched them again. Can you imagine how the players who have to play against him feel? Most people have family pets and I think it will be like a child molester in jailOthers will treat him like he deserves.

• Robin says:

NFL and Eagles condone animal cruelty!

• Robin says:

I am DEFINATELY interested in forming a group in Philadelphia to protest EVERY Eagles home game. I have lived in Philadelphia my entire life and ALWAYS supported the Eagles but the moment I heard about them signing Michael Vick I thought I was going to vomit!!! I am truely OUTRAGED and want to do something about this horrible “mistake” the Eagles made by signing a cold blooded killer. This is the worst thing that could have happened to our city!!! So if anyone is interested in going to protest the home games hit me up!

• Kim Cothran says:

Living with 4 wonderful dogs I can not imagagine how someone could be so cruel. It breaks my heart every time I hear the Vick story and makes my blood boil. I can hope Vick realizes how lucky he is to have a second chance he even felt he desereved a second chance which is more than he gave the dogs he tortured. They were never allowed a second chance. I’m sorry I can’t support a team that supports him. I hope he truely does feel remorse.

• Karen M Bossack says:

I cannot fathom anyone give this monster a job. Eagles were my family’s foot ball team of choice. Now I will not permit the viewing of any of their games in my home. The Philadelphia Eagles should be ashamed of themselves and their really poor decision. Their choice makes them the same as Vick evil uncaring and unfit to walk the planet.

• Jim O'Malley says:

Please organize protests at every Philadelphia Eagles game this year. Mike Vick is a scumbag and deserves to be “barked” at everytime he goes in public.

• Kim Condatore says:

It would be helpful if PETA could post on this site specific information on how to voice our protests disappointment disgust of the Eagles signing Vick. Exactly who and where we can write.

• NANCY H says:

MICHAEL VICK WILL NEVER HAVE PAID ENOUGH TO MAKE UP FOR THE SICK TWISTED MIND HE HAS WOULD HE TREAT A CHILD THIS WAY??? DOES NOT SEEM TO BOTHER HIM TO SEE SOME FORM OF LIFE CRY OUT FOR HELP. THANK YOU NANCY H

• Lejane says:

This is so hard but I truly do not believe that this guys is as remorseful as he makes out. I think his remorse is because of his need to carry on with his career. It’s up to the millions of fans to tell the Eagles what they think of this signing will you be there the day he runs out on to that field to tell him what you think of him? I hope so.

• Bill Blase says:

I’ve been an Eagles fan for 40+ years. That has come to an end today. The Eagles have demonstrated not only poor judgement but also have validated the sick “Thug” culture that has pervaded professional sports in this country. Very Very sad.

• Kathy Spina says:

Boycott the Eagles! There is something innately wrong with an individual who tortures innocent beings!

• Tammy says:

I am sick to my stomach that the NFL would allow this creep Michael Vick back in football. And I am more shocked and numb that the Eagles would so quickly sign somebody who obviously has psychological issues and who will bring nothing but negativity to their team. I have yet to see Michael Vick show any remorse for the crimes and pain he put those poor dogs through. And if he were to begin now being apologetic it’s just an act to help promote himself. Everyone says people deserve a second chance once they get out of jail. And I don’t have a problem with that. But Michael Vick had a chance to make millions be famous and be praised by the public. He made the choice to risk giving it all up to torture poor innocent dogs. Now he’s out of jail and he should not be allowed to be welcomed back in the limelight. His second chance should be he’s out of jail get an average job and stay out of the public’s eye. What kind of message does this send to our children????? Tammy

• Amahd says:

I BELIEVE WE SHOULDNT JUDGE VICK WE SHOULD HELP HIM. HE IS NOT A MONSTER HE IS A HUMANBEING THAT HAS MADE A MISTAKE. I GREW UP IN THE SAME AREA WHERE DOG FIGHTING WAS THE NORM SO WAS DRUGS. JUST LIKE DRUGS OR GAMBLING IT IS AN ADDICTION SO LETS NOT DESTROY OUR BROTHER LETS BUILD HIM.

• Amie says:

it is a shame that he was signed by anyone but I read on a blog were a Philly fan was telling protester not to bother coming to Philly but if they do they need to come “correct” if they think they are going to protest at their stadium they will be taken care of pretty much saying come prepared to fight eagle fans and bring protection? Scary that people want to protect this man.

• Renee says:

Its sick what Vick has done to those poor animals. They didn’t get a second chance why should he.

• Christine says:

I am truly saddened by this event. Not only will I never be able to cheer for my home team again but for the fack that I feel as though providing Vick a contract makes light of his actions it actually almost makes them acceptable. Alleged remorse or not he should not ever be able to play football again. He should never be able to own an animal again. He should not even be able to participate in society until there is evidence that he is truly remorseful. Cleaning up animal feces in shelters for a long time might do him some good.

• ann ledesma says:

Let me know when the first protest is. I live one half hour away from Phila by train and will gladly attend.

• raeann says:

i would love to see peta protesting at each and every eagles game. he’s a disgusting excuse for a human being. i’m sick of hearing that “he deserves a second chance”…i certainly don’t see those dogs he murdered having a second chance.

• Jason says:

Please protest Vick and let all of us know when it’s happening

• nick salamone says:

The signing of Michael Vick is an embarassment to the Eaglesthe city of Philadelphia and the sponsors of the team.

• John Powell says:

I am a die hard Eagles fan. This signing is still something I disagree with and will not support. I am sickened by the thought of animals being hurt or tortured. If the NFL or my home team can allow this man to play again I will not watch. EXEAGLES fan while Vick remains here.

• Wayne Seguin says:

PETA needs to protest every game that Vick is attending on the field.