PETA Wants Bible to Show God’s Love for Animals

Written by PETA | March 25, 2011
pmarkham/cc by 2.0

When PETA heard that the Committee on Bible Translation had revised the New International Version (NIV) of the Christian Bible to use gender-inclusive language, such as replacing “men” with “people,” we thought, wouldn’t it be great if the new NIV showed consideration for female (and male) animals too? So we wrote to the Committee on Bible Translation and asked them to use “he” or “she” rather than “it” to refer to animals in the next edition of the NIV.

“Language matters. Calling an animal ‘it’ denies them something,” PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich told CNN. “They are beloved by God. They glorify God.”

Since God loves all His creation (and if you’re not convinced of this, try reading Matthew 25:40Isaiah 11:9, or Luke 6:36), it’s only fitting that humans do the same by showing respect to every living being. Maybe Psalm 50:11 says it best: “I know and am acquainted with all the birds of the mountains, and the wild animals of the field are Mine and are with Me, in My mind.” Perhaps if we change the way we speak about animals, our thinking will follow.

Written by Michelle Sherrow

Comments

• Believer says:

“A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs.” Proverbs 12:10 “Five sparrows sell for two coins of small value, do they not? Yet not one of them goes forgotten before God.” (Luke 12:6) “In that day I will make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field and the birds of the air and the creatures that move along the ground. Bow and sword and battle I will abolish from the land, so that all may lie down in safety.”-Hosea 2:18 This is clearly evidence that God cares for all the animals, and whoever abuses his creation will recieve their justice, whether it be in life, or after. Animals will be with us in heaven, in peace. Open your eyes Peta, it’s already in the bible. God Bless. :)

• Josh Taylor says:

So you animal worshipers think it’s okay for humans to kill each other. God gave man a name, His name was Adam. He never gave human names to animals. Take the male and female human genders away, call them as “it”, and apply them to animals, you are committing a sin.

Animals are to serve humankind, not humankind to serve animals. If you agree to PETA’s altering God’s Word, you are on a path of destruction.

Revelation 22:18-19 “If anyone adds unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.”

This is a warning for animal rights activists who supports changing God’s word.

Keep your hands off God’s Word.

No one cannot serve two masters. You can’t worship God or animals at the same time. Eating animals don’t count.

• animal eater says:

man and animals are not equal. Not at all. God created animals by the spoken word, and man with his own hands. God gave man rule over the animals, and gave the animals to man for food. An animal does not get the gender title because they are in no way equal to humans.

• Sparko says:

Matthew 10:31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

• tim says:

Please don’t bash the bible not everyone that believes the word bash you. If you read the bible and understand the word it teaches you should not judge another person. After all isn’t treating animals with equality a belief in some eyes.

• naturalcarnivore says:

If God love his created animals so much, why did He kill the first ones to make clothes for Adam and Eve? Why did he require sacrifices of animals, with specific, detailed instructions on how they were to be sacrificed? The OT is rife with descriptions of this, as is the NT. As a person who has raised animals for both food and profit, I’ll continue to eat them.

• Tony says:

What about Genesis 9:3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. Or Leviticus 11:2 “Speak to the people of Israel, saying, These are the living things that you may eat among all the animals that are on the earth.” and who can forget Romans 14:2 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. So peta if you want to start quoting the bible, clarify for me what these bible verses mean. I have nothing against people having the personal choice of just eating vegetables, but please respect other peoples personal choice of wanting to eat meat.

• PK says:

PETA, you’re crossing the boundary line here. It’s impossible to make the Bible animal-friendly, because you’d have to remove all of Leviticus; even the smaller things like when God told Peter to kill and eat the animals before him (Acts ). It’s impossible to make the Bible “animal-friendly” without changing the message of the Bible itself which is the redemption of sinners by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. You have already distorted the meaning of Matthew 25:40 and Luke 6:36. Worst of all, if PETA aims to completely get rid of the idea that humankind was created in the image of God, then they commit a great heresy. We are God’s image bearers for His glory, and I would warn you to avoid doing this or you will have to answer to the Almighty on the last day for changing what He had inspired His faithful servants to write.

• Kayla says:

I think yall should consider the whole bible and not just parts of it. God gave animals to us to have dominion over them. I love animals myself but this is getting out of hand. Animals were put her as companions, for sacrifices to God (in the old testimate), and for our food for survival. We are the head and not the tail. Of course God loves all his creatures and I’m sure he will punish all those who have been cruel to animals but the bible isn’t cruel to them at all. What animal do you know that can read? It doesn’t make one bit of difference if the bible calls an animal by it” rather than he or she. Animals don’t even know they are referred to as he or she. As for the person who said the commandment says “thou shall not kill” you are correct but he is reffering to humans. I’m sure God doesn’t condone killing animals just to be cruel tho but he is not mad about killing them for food. Read the whole bible and you would know that.

• Gordon T. says:

Enough with the god crap.

• Seriously says:

WOW! This is ridiculous. I can’t believe that we are actually having a discussion about having animals being referred to as “he” or “she”.

• Crogers says:

I think PETA’s request is arrogant and offensive to God. We should be weary of making demands to alter God’s word in ways designed to suit our personal agendas. God clearly demonstrates His love for His creation, including animals, throughout the bible and that should be enough. As I read the word, I am convinced that God is much more concerned with the condition of the human heart/soul, than he is with whether an animal is referred to as He or She.

• casey says:

ChristianVeg.org is a good group. 7th day adventists, buddhist, hare krishna, rastas all good religions not that I am. I am veg for animals, its unnecessary today and more abusive than ever, bad for gods planet, our health (karma) care and even increases world hunger – animals well fed our limited corn/grains at only 1lb of flesh per 10lbs of feed, while people go hungry. They are horrible religions to ignore this and that cooking flesh is unnatural. vegan outreach is a great group too!

• crystal says:

The Bible does include animals. St.Francis of Assisi is the Patron Saint of Animals.

• rachel says:

i never think of animals as “it” because you cannot call a living thing, with feelings, “it”. i believe God takes our treatment of animals very seriously and it is a deep responsibility.

• Teresa Echeverría says:

That’s so good! Thanks a lot PETA.

• mousegal11 says:

OMG I AM LOVING YOU PEOPLE, FINALLY SOMEONE THAT THINKS ABOUT GOD THE SAME WAY I DO, I THINK HE’S A FAIRY TALE AND A TON OF PEEPS HOLD IT AGAINST ME… SORRY BUT YALL ARE AWESOME!!!

• Alyssa says:

@Matias No, it never said the earth was created 20,0000 years ago. Please tell me where you found that. Bc the Bible never specifically stated a date.

• lora p. animal/veg lover says:

I pray for the food companies to be boycotted by consumers! Look at the film documentaries entitled, “Food, Inc.” and also “Super-size Me.” These can be rented free at most libraries. We people who really do care about innocent animals must protect them. Let’s stop the cruelty!! Let us band together to change the lives of animals, chickens, pigs, fish, dairy cows today.

• Carolyn Tibbs says:

Tell it like it is Mike. I agree!!

• Susi Scott says:

Im a Christian and proud to be one. I love all animals without exception and so does God. He made them and throughout the Bible He talks about them. Before Adam and Eve sinned there were no animals eaten just veggies, herbs, seeds and fruit. When sin enetred into mankind it also entered the whole of creation hence what we have now. This will all revert back when we get to Heaven. There is a marvellous scripture which says God knows about every sparrow that falls to the ground. It also says in Proverbs 12 that the righteous person cares for his animals.

• Patrice says:

While I’m agnostic, I don’t need a bible to tell me right from wrong. What is done to millions of land and sea creatures every minute of every day just to satisfy the human species palate is wrong! I think the wording change is a GOOD thing! Until human perceptions of the world, how ALL life is intertwined and precious, humans will continue to enslave and abuse other creatures. Humans can’t even show respect and compassion among themselves. Some can’t get past skin color or shape, can’t even accept all of their own species. If aliens landed on this planet, think on this. If their form were pleasing to the human eye and they appeared non-threatening, would we give them more of a “chance” than if their form were grotesque and aggressive appearing? It’s all in perceptions, and the written word helps develop our percetions. Maybe the cows, pigs, turkeys, etc. are aliens or a sort; different shapes and appearances, some passive and some more aggressive. Until all life can simply be respected and enjoyed, not enslaved and slaughtered, will the world start to know peace. A great read about our animal perceptions: “WHY WE LOVE DOGS, EAT PIGS, AND WEAR COWS; An Introduction to Carnism” by Melanie Joy.

• Claudine Erlandson says:

I would welcome the change! I hate it when IT is used for Animals! They are not “things, objects”, they are people, he or she! In french we fortunetly don’t have that problem…I have not read a french Bible lately! ;)

• Lenchy says:

Do you REALLY think that if there was a god that there would REALLY need to exist organizations like this (protecting the rights of animals)?! Or you think that god really enjoys watching how his “children” get tortured and killed every day?!

• lil cease says:

The bible is the wrong book to look for morality and ethics. So it doesn’t really matter what’s written in it. If you believe in “the word of god” then you have other issues of which you need to take care.

• Masha says:

What a wonderful thought! I absolutely agree with PETA that animals, our dear companions on earth, should be identified in the next edition of the NIV as he/she. God created them male and female, after all. Bruce Friedrich said it best with “They are beloved by God. They glorify God.” They were created by the same great and loving hand that created us, and they have a gender and identity like we do.

• Vix says:

Genesis 1:24-25 – how did God know to create two types of animals we have “Livestock” & “Wild Animals” at this point? especially as Livestock is defined when used for profit. Surely he would have created “Animals” and we later took it on ourselves to decide which would be which?

• Lauren says:

…better yet, you could request that they use the original Hebrew translation of that infamous verse in Genesis so it WOULDN’T imply that animals don’t have souls. That mistranslation has done FAR more harm than the word “it” ever has, at least from a Biblical standpoint. -_-

• monikahau says:

I agree with Matias, enough with the bible already, but for all those who believe, if in the bible God says “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food…” shouldn’t all Christians be vegetarians??? That alone would spare millions of animals an anguished life every year.

• yash says:

That’s one of most Important Msg from Him to all of his dear children… that calls us all/each-n-every1… to show our love, kindness n respect to all life endowed Creatures, big n small, that are add beauty and meaning to His awe-inspiring n magnificent Creation!!!

• Susan Hoppler says:

God created and loves all His creatures. As a Christian animal rights advocate, I firmly believe that if Jesus was on earth right now, he would be fighting against factory farming and all the other atrocities that people seem to think that they have the right to do just because they are human and can get away with it. Thanks, PETA!

• imbanksy says:

Animals weren’t PUT here for anything. Animals existed long before humans, they aren’t our property in any way.

• Margaret Lovick says:

God did create animals for our glory as well as for HIS. We should never discount the tremendous need for compassion in this world. It plants a seed to refer to another being as an “it” – It need to be pointed out that all beings were meant to be loved and I would like to see the KIND put back into MANKIND. THe Bible is no joke and God will bless us for caring for his beings. After all, if you were just in that earthquake, the chances of an animal such as a dog, finding you in the rubble would be high enough to convinve you of just one benefit we have of communicationg and loving our animals. Good Luck and I will pray about this God help us!

• MA Moore says:

Psalm 23 (all time favorite)…….Surely goodness and mercy shall follow us all the days of our lives and we will dwell in the house of the Lord forever…..Go PETA!

• MA Moore says:

Great article! We honor our Creator by honoring ALL of His Creation! Thank you for the insight and inspirations. Love to Ingrid and all friends at PETA!

• Thomas says:

Mike I’m A Christian and like to point to the book of Acts where God says do not call unlcean what I made unclean, giving PERMISSION for Peter to eat animals, not vegetables.

• Susan says:

I have a friend who wants to know what believer’s think about the animals that were sacrificed back in Biblical times that is talked about in the Bible. Would anyone care to give their opinions on this? I haven’t read the Bible enough to give her an answer. Thanks! :)

• Emma says:

I have been mulling this over for a while – odd you should raise it.I think if you believe in a Christian life, then you believe in all creatures being valuable and worthy of respect, if you are an ethical vegetarian, why are’t you a vegan, if you have pets or say you are an animal lover why not step up to the line in their defence and support? And yes how you refer to someone – (I include all animals) matters to what feelings are aroused in you and your listeners. So well done PETA

• Emily says:

The bible does not say the world was created 20,000 years ago. It says the earth was created in 7 days and further states a day is like 1000 years, a 1000 years a day (meaning that times was not of importance). I don’t think God had an agenda to have the earth created on a strict 7 day schedule. I am Christian, who also believes in evolution. I believe God is the master mind behind all, and had a plan for all. In regards to the animals, I read a book that was amazing on this very subject, I got it off this site it is called “Good news for all creation”. It is an amazing book that shows how the bible (i.e God) supports vegetarianism. I believe that God loves all his creature and expects us, his children, to do the same!!!!

• Jason says:

Heard something great. The bible also says, “Thou Shalt Not Kill”. It doesn’t specify humans. Seems pretty clear to me; it’s all inclusive, as it should be.

• Matias says:

Forget about the bible, it’s a fairy tale..evidences have proved the bible is a lie…according to the bible the earth was created 20.000 years ago!!! what about the fossils we are founding every day? they have millions of years

• Ellen says:

I completely agree! I think most human cultures are very ignorant or egotistical when they believe all animals were made FOR them. Just because we seem to create and live in a complex world, it doesn’t mean that other animals are below us in God’s eyes. We’re always discovering so many beautiful facts about the worlds of other creatures that we never knew: such as the abilities of apes to use sign language, and the intelligence of dolphins.

• Amitchai says:

Also in hebrew we dont have “he she and it” and im totally agreed with the statement, it always seem strange to refer animal as “it” an obect. Good luck!

• Mike says:

I am a Christian Vetgetarian…I would like to point everyone to Genesis 1:29-30. End of Discussion.

• AAW says:

Also Proverbs 12:10 (“A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel”) and Proverbs 24:11-12 (“Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter. If you say, ‘But we knew nothing about this,’ does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? … Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?”)

• HILDA CRENZEL says:

WE ARE ALL GOD’S CREATURES. EACH ONE DESERVES HIS LOVE. WE,FREE WILL HUMANS,ARE WHO MUST DO OUR BEST TO DESERVE IT.

• Barbara Noon says:

@Jeanine, You do realize that dogs and cats had wild ancestors and dogs genetically evolved from wolves about 15,000 years ago, right? Fossils, DNA, etc. Recently, people in other countries have successfully made foxes tame so they can be house pets. Animals are animals and we should not eat them.

• Cindy says:

AMEN.!!!! WE SHOULD LOVE ALL OF HIS CREATION.! GOOD GOING PETA.!

• Melanie says:

Psalm 36:6 (Amplified Bible) 6Your righteousness is like the mountains of God, Your judgments are like the great deep. O Lord, You preserve man and beast. proverbs 12:10 A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

• Jeanine says:

I agree with above suggestions for NIV Bible. And after all, GOD did create animals for a variety of reasons – However I have a strong leaning on such animals as cats and dogs that they are here for our companionship and NOTHING ELSE. I think PETA knows what I mean. Thankyou for this opportunity.