PETA’s Top 10 Vegetarian Athletes
The Daily Meal recently compiled a list of top vegetarian athletes, including Mike Tyson, Billie Jean King, and Joe Namath. We were inspired to compile our own list of 10 animal-friendly top talents who have gotten brawn from broccoli and endurance from eggplant:
- Ricky Williams, who fills out a PETA T-shirt as nicely as he does a Miami Dolphins jersey, had a ball hosting PETA’s vegetarian chicken-wing taste test.
- Robert Parish is one of the “50 Greatest Players in NBA History,” partly because he made history of wimpy meat-eaters who got in his way.
- “Olympian of the Century” Carl Lewis is a gold-medal winner with a heart to match.
- Ultimate Fighter winner and King of the Cage world champion Mac Danzig eats his opponents for breakfast, but what he won’t eat is animals.
- Maybe Home Run Derby winner Prince Fielder inspired the Milwaukee Brewers’ Miller Park to add veggie dogs and vegetable wraps to its menu?
- Four-time Mr. Universe Bill Pearl is a gem for animals, with his healthy vegetarian diet.
- If there is one thing Olympic gold medalist Hannah Teeter is as passionate about as she is about snowboarding, it’s compassion for animals.
- Ironman triathlete Brendan Brazier credits his vegan diet with helping him recover after he was hit by a car while cycling, and he came back to win an Ultra Marathon Championship.
- How do you get to be named by Men’s Fitness as one of the “25 Fittest Guys in the World”? Ask Rich Roll, and be ready for him to tell you, “Go vegan.”
- MMA Strikeforce Champion Jake Shields is a force to be reckoned with in the ring, but never in his life has he forced animals to die for his diet.
Written by Michelle Sherrow