Is There Such a Thing as ‘Humane’ Meat?

Written by Ingrid Newkirk | September 28, 2012

Many PETA members have contacted us to ask whether they should support so-called “humane” meat. It’s a question that we all should be asking because this issue is very important—particularly for the billions of animals who are killed for our plates every year.

If you look around, society is at a turning point. Everyone from the NFL’s Arian Foster to Bill Clinton to Anne Hathaway is talking about how going vegan boosts one’s energy and keeps one looking slim and healthy. Grocery stores are packed with tasty vegan foods, from faux meats such as vegan chicken and ribs to dairy-free products such as rice milk ice cream and vegan cheese! It’s no longer a chore to ask for a vegan meal in restaurants, including steakhouses, and there are now vegan options at schools across the country. Some universities even have all-vegan cafeterias.

Now, more than ever before, it is time to be kind to animals by not paying someone else to slaughter them—something that happens even on so-called “humane” farms.

PETA has pushed hard and will continue to push hard to reduce the sum total of suffering in the meat, dairy, and egg industries—because that makes a huge difference if you are a pig or a chicken on a factory farm. We’ve stopped PETA protests outside Burger King or McDonald’s restaurants when those companies agreed to reforms, but that doesn’t mean that we would ever suggest eating meat from Burger King or anywhere else—because we know that massive suffering still goes into every bite. Yes, it’s better to pay extra for an egg from a chicken who had a marginally less hideous life than one who suffered more, but we must do better by animals. In fact, we have yet to find a “humane” factory farm where animals don’t have their tails cut off and their ears painfully notched, where they aren’t debeaked, dehorned, or castrated without anesthesia, where they aren’t kept in crowded conditions without sunlight or fresh air, where they don’t have their beloved children taken away from them, where they aren’t denied the companionship of others, where they aren’t sent to a feedlot, or where they are instantly dispatched without the trauma of capture, the horror of transportation, or the terror of seeing other animals killed before suffering the same fate.

PETA has pushed for vegan living since our inception in 1980. Our motto is: “Animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other way.” With so many vegan cookbooks and meal options available and with programs like the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine’s 21-Day Vegan Kickstart and our wildly popular vegan starter kit, we can all help animals—and not miss a thing. Let’s live and let live, and tell others to come along with us, reminding them that animals have emotions and needs just as human beings do.

There is no such thing as humane meat. Giving animals a few more inches of living space is simply not enough. Animals deserve more. The momentum is on our side, but it will take every one of us to bring this change about by being active advocates of animal rights. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Ingrid E. Newkirk

President

Comments

• Tim says:

Thank you for clarifying PETA’s position on this important topic. It’s important to strive for better conditions for farmed animals who are currently suffering, but the end goal should always be for humans to stop eating other living beings. There can be no such thing as humane meat when animals still end up in a slaughterhouse and on someone’s plate.

• VeganJohn says:

God created every animal with the capacity to suffer. Every time we sit down to eat, we need to remember that all animals—including those on factory farms—feel pain and fear just as we do, because every meal that we eat represents a choice: We can either choose to add to the level of violence, suffering, and death in the world, or we can choose to respect God’s creation and work for peace.

• Dana S. says:

Those of us who, in our concern for others’ well-being, embody the kindness that Jesus taught, see every meal as a chance to reaffirm our faith and devotion to peace. I refuse to support cruelty—debeaking, castration, throat-slitting—by choosing to eat only foods that contain no animal products. If we would be unwilling to inflict such cruelty on animals ourselves, how can we support the industry that pays others to do it? I’m sure Jesus wouldn’t.

• Rory56 says:

Jesus encouraged kindness to even the most despised among us, therefore our responsibility to animals, our fellow creatures, becomes clear. God created animals with needs and desires, as well as the capacity for pain and suffering. Go vegan.

• Callie Roberts says:

When there are 6 million mouths to feed, it is not possible for any animal to be treated humanely. They are mere commodities and machines. Such is the state of our consumer industry today unfortunately :( Go veggie people!! Live well, be happy and free the animals from this horrible suffering.. or at the very least, lesson the load. xx

• Hope says:

Anyone who is a Christian read what God says about eating meat. I disagree with Abuse but God put deer and cows here for us to eat. Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take mee some venison. Genesis 27:3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything. Genesis 9:3 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Romans 14:2 Then he took curds and milk and the calf that he had prepared, and set it before them. And he stood by them under the tree while they ate. Genesis 18:8

• tbeenken says:

Bubba, if dairy cattle are not milked they can barely walk so if that’s what you want let if happen. Don’t milk dairy cows, don’t produce any milk, and don’t get eggs from any chicken.

• Bubba says:

I cannot believe the ignorant excuses to eat meat. Some [text cut] even says cow love to be milked? I’m sure ‘God’ would not want us to make His creations suffer.

• Dawn says:

I recently admired a certain saying by Pythagoras, with whom I was previously not that familiar with, that stated something to the tune of “if man continues to subject the lower living things, he will neither know peace or happiness”. And, sadly, this has seems very true. Since I have certain religious beliefs that do not necessarily forbid the eating of animals (although it is important to point out that my religious beliefs identify that man’s life span was drastically shortened after it was allowed, and the reason that it was allowed was due both man and animal’s compliance levels to the nature of sin, I have vowed to eat meat occasionally. I am even hoping to gravitate to rarely and, eventually, to not at all. I was given a starter kit while attending college and was stunned at how the animals are treated in the slaughter houses. I have also been very particular about the carrier that I bye my meat from, as Amish products are popular and more “ethical” where I live. I have done meatless fasts for religious purposes, and have felt wonderful. I actually am not sure how I started to eat meat again, since I felt so good. I have been keeping up with the information from PETA on my quest, and I am hoping to develop more of a consciousness of animal rights and whether or not I can honestly say that I need to be apart of the bloodshed in order for my own survival. I also have a son who looks up to who we consider GOD, and he is naturally not such a fan of meat. I think that this will definitely be a quest of contemplation, reconciliation, and further awareness for me spiritually. Take care.

• Manuela says:

Why do we always bring God into the issues we are having today.He has nothing to do with it and besides that the Jews wrote the old testament and not God.We should not sacrafice our animals so we have protein to eat,we can get it from nuts and beans and eggs.(No sacrafice in the unliving).It should be outlawed that man always plays God on Earth.The world is overpopulated with humans and not cat’s,dogs and other animals.Put population control in effect,but people are to stupid to realize that we are overpopulated and our resources are running out.Them poor animals when they go to the slaughter house are so scared and they are being pulled in with chains etc.Put yourself into their situation if you can.Long live all animals.

• Ben Sitts says:

So if we aren’t supposed to eat any sort of meat or anything like that how will third world country’s survive? All the animals will overpopulated and starve, beavers will make dams and flood many populated areas people who can’t afford it will loose their houses. We would loose vast amounts of medical antibiotics and cures for diseases millions of people would loose their lives. Some animals have to die for the greater good you assholes are always smart didn’t you ever hear of natural selection? But you people can live your little fairy tale tofu life while I eat this bacon cheeseburger.

• justin kelly says:

I accept and respect your organisation ethos and the role it pursues in protecting and educating ALL in society. I would though like draw attention to the tone of your article on humane meat and offer you the insight of my own personal direct long term experience of working continuously from more than half a decade on a bio dinamic certified organic small holding farm WITH working animals and life stock. NONE of the conditions of inferences in the overview of farming conditions were from the point of view of my experience accurate almost…whatsoever. Nonetheless I full accept that our working practices still represent a bourgeoning minority. We do not slaughter life stock for meat but our livestock are treated to a living paradise in comparison to supermarket holdings and when as working animals they reach the brutal end of there cost effective life IE TWO TO THREE years on acres of organic land with tails and beaks and friends in exchange for a salary of eggs as oppossed to six weeks of hell in a blacked out holding of ten of thousands…..then and only then do we endure one the worst jobs short of human combat. I can assure this is done in the most human, dignified and swift manner: legally and professionally. I can tell anyone eating an egg that should they judge us for such actions then they should look no further than there mirror. For those who abstain….solidarity brothers and sister but I choose to eat meat and dairy products and in my professional position I would not be able to do so personally as a hypocrite by making someone else do the hardest job iv ever had to do. The best of the best vegan friends I have taught me everything I needed to learn about veganism through there NON JUDGEMENT of the CHOICE of my actions. This is why I love veganism and alas sometimes wish I could be more than a partial part time one in physical practise. Nonetheless I fully endorse your ethos and in this respect fully accept that in this regard from PETAs point of view: that there is no such thing as ethical meat.

• TheSkeptic says:

Yep, for sure, don’t eat the animal that would eventually die soon after anyways. Let it run free in the wild and get eaten by another predator like a bear or something.

• Aaron says:

1. Homosapiens would not exist if they didn’t eat meat 2. Diseases won’t be cured if we didn’t experiment on ‘meat’

• Samantha says:

I have talked to people who believe they are vegetarians because they only eat fish. These people should look to how fish are caught and processed. I recall watching a program that show what they consider work that is dirty. They showed how still alive crabs are processed. It was a very difficult thing to watch. The first thing they did was to cut off their limbs. The second thing they did was to throw them in a big vat of boiling water while they were still alive. I cannot imagine how those animals suffered and I don’t even want to begin to imagine that kind of suffering. I can imagine someone cutting off my arms and legs while still alive, but after that to be thrown into a vat of boiling water is more than I want to even think about it. This is but one story of tragedy. Animals are made to suffers in ways that cannot be imagined. Although some of the humane race can imagine and bring that imagination to life that involves a book of torture that is difficult to believe. People ask me why I don’t like meat, or why I decided to become a vegetarian. They don’t want to accept my answers. I tell them I am a vegetarian for health reasons and ethical reasons. Most people can understand health reasons but cannot understand why there would be ethical reasons. I am very happy that Peta is here to show me time and time again that show me that health reasons and ethical reasons are a balanced reason for being a vegetarian. I am hoping that eventually I will be strong enough to go totally Vegan I am just not there yet.

• Trevor says:

I grew up on a small family farm (something that has nearly vanished from the American landscape) where we raised beef cattle, chickens and hogs, and a few acres of crops to feed them. Our chickens were not confined to cages, our cows did not stand in a massive feed lot with thousands of other cows knee deep in their own manure, and our hogs were not crowded into a hog house with 30,000 other pigs. Our chickens roamed the barnyard, our cows roamed acres of grass pasture, as did our pigs. After we picked the corn and peanuts we turned the hogs into the peanut fields so they could root around and eat the corn and peanuts that were missed by the combine. Pigs on factory farms never see the light of day, much less get to root around in the ground like God intended. Yes, our animals eventually died when we sold them for slaughter them but they had a far better existence than animals on modern factory farms do. All of the cows in our herd had names and we treated them like pets. All farms in America used to be like this before the USDA began to subsidizing factory farming to keep food prices low which resulted massive surpluses, cheap prices, and a mass migrations of Americans from farms to cities and suberbs since WWII because they could no longer make a living off the land.

• Helen says:

What is Peta’s official view of the new phenomenon I’ve heard about of “In Vitro Meat”? I recently came across an information video about it on YouTube and I found it really troubling. I would love to hear your views.

• BloodWeiser says:

I see no issues with the use of Dairy. Cows enjoy being milked. Human females who do not preform breast feeding have a higher rate of breast cancer. It’s natural to drink milk. If you don’t want to drink milk, nobody is going to make you. So why do you have to force the way you think is right on other people? You don’t have the right to say anyone’s way of life is better than another.

• bexstar says:

From a religious view, Genesis 3:21 states the Lord God made Adam & Eve tunics from skins and clothed them. I also have many other Bible verses relating to meat consumption & usage. I think though in general we abuse animals so I will aim to reduce any meat consumption pure veganism for me is risky as I have blood iron issues. Secondly being in Australia the constant travel to locate vegan replacement foods is not environmentally friendly & nor are a lot of the ingredients in those mock meat & cheese products. There is a substantial lack of products here.

• Scott says:

I just want to reiterate…non animal testing companies have a responsibility as well..they must get involved in LOBBYING animal testing practices which involve the use of common ingredients used in their products..such as lavender,tea tree,lemon oil or anything else.

• Abhishek Pandey says:

No, and humanity seeks kindness to all sensitive beings…kindly refrain from eating any kind of meat or products which result in animals losing their lives…

• chunkyboy says:

By the way…I am writing ANIMAL TESTING COMPANIES for obvious reasons…and also NON-ANIMAL TESTING COMPANIES asking them to do some lobbying for the non-animal testing of some of the “ingredients of interest” used in their products…and INGRID…I didn’t mean to sound to hard on you..even thought I don’t necessarily agree with everything say..I know you have made..through your efforts..the world a more much more cruelty free place..thanks for that.

• Javier says:

I learned something when I was a kid, exercise and a balanced diet will give you health, well, its true, Im really skinny, but apparently my weight is in harmony with my height, etc, I eat meat, dairy products, everything the pyramid tells, I hardly get sick, so the advice was right, well I actually eat more than I should but Im still healthy, even with vices like coca cola, cigarrettes and a few drinks once in a while (well wine is healthy, vodka too in low doses, cigarrettes have made no harm in 12 years, Ive always attributed that to my balanced diet, lots of jalapeño, habaneros, coffee along meats, veggies, dairy products, fruits… etc, I should like have cancer but I dont, Im still experimenting but I heard an experiment on dogs didnt produce cancer on any of the dogs inhaling smoke, you can find it on google) Im not indifferent, if I dont have cancer and there is people dying of cancer and some kind of experiment allowed someone to survive, why should I support someone stopping that person from saving lives, there is really a lot to this topic.

• Javier says:

There is only one thing I know, I cant speak for animals, additionally rice production is harmful for the planet, why instead of stopping eating rice shouldnt I stop eating rice? Being healthy isnt about stop eating meat, its about a balance when eating, its not about whether a celebrity I like does it, life isnt about preventing all possible danger toward me, including being a little bit paranoid about sicknesses like cancer, dying is part of life, whether of sickness or old or a car accident, or because some drunk kills me or a several others things that lead to death in this world that we can control and we nothing about it. The real thing here is that there is always a predator and a victim in the food chain, it happens within plants, it happens within animals, its like I felt sorry because a tiger ate a smaller animal, on the other hand I felt sorry because my dog killed one of my chickens and I punished him for doing so, shouldnt it be wiser to not have pets if their freedom is so important? I dont think its cruel to eat animals, the only moral and ethical thing we should care about is giving our siblings (any person in this planet) their right due.

• sadhuvedantmuni jain says:

animal protection is our motto. nonviolence and vegetarianism are the main objects of our lives.

• kitty says:

im a vegetarian. i read the peta website in support of my lifestyle choice. just wondering why the obnoxious meat eaters are on the peta website. they seem awfully defensive about their choice to eat meat. ingrid’s statement was not sent to.attack them. if they got the email then they registered to get peta information. otherwise, these carnivores sought it out. why don’ t they go to some carnivore web site to rant instead of attempting to defy our values? either way, they are wasting time because their rants are not at all persuasive towards us animal lovers to jump on their meat wagon. they obviously have nothing better to do.

• colleen gilbee says:

Look at that pig! How can anyone kill an animal if they have a CHOICE not to. Are we really asking people to give up so much when we talk of meat-free diets? Nonsense. I will tell you this. My friends my age have various health problems. They have cancer, diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, etc. I don’t have any of these things. I doubt that’s just a coincidence.

• chander kumar soni says:

100% agree.

• JB says:

Humaneness aside for the moment, and leaving aside the debate about whether or not humans are designed to eat meat… A true fact of the matter is that the massive factory production of meat for an over-consuming society is destroying the planet. Do some research, don’t take my word for it. A large majority of the airable land and farmed for crops goes to FEED livestock for food. Overall nutrient value of crops is decreased by over-farming the land to simply fatten up animals to be used for food. An inordinate amount of fresh water too is used in the raising and processing of livestock for food. So, quality of life for the animals aside, it is unsustainable environmentally. Likewise, a growing list of common diseases including heart disease, diabetes, cancer are directly linked to the consumption of animal based protien. Going vegetarian or vegan is cheap medical insurance to better ensure your health down the road. The slogan shouldn’t be ‘Beef…it’s whats for dinner’…but rather…’Beef..it’s whats killing america.’. Lastly, before spouting off about how a plant based diet is some how lacking and requires the use of suppliments is just plan wrong. A well rounded, complete diet of plant-based foods includes PLENTY of protiens that are in fact, more readily processed and used by the body without all the toxicity and wasted energy to digest and absorb meat. Those facts alone should wake up some people. The inhumane conditions of factory farms becomes the 3rd leg of the trifecta. Meat is bad for the livestock conditions. Meat is bad for the environment. Meat is bad for your health….. References: Forks of Knives, China Study, Thrive (Brandon Brazier), Fat-Sick-and-Nearly-Dead….

• lynn o. says:

I haven’t eaten meat for about 45 years. My intellect has not suffered. My yearly bloodwork shows no abnormalities. I am not weak and pale. I have never felt deprived. I never crave meat. Are we really asking people to give up so much when we talk of meat-free diets? Nonsense. I will tell you this. My friends my age have various health problems. They have cancer, diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, etc. I don’t have any of these things. I doubt that’s just a coincidence.

• A Argall says:

Meh, if you design a meat substitute that tastes like the real thing, I’l switch, until then I’m not going to give up something as natural as eating meat.

• Sasha says:

Hm. There is a religion/culture in the East that says an animal can only be eaten if it was killed with a single swipe of a sword. That seems fair to me, and they are a largely vegetarian people. I could go on and on about the article, but I’m not gonna bore you.

• Daniel says:

The last few comments have me a bit unnerved as to what people believe to be true. All this talk of a meat-less life style is fine and all, but is has little place in the world as we know it. Ancient man, evolving somewhere in Africa, descended from the trees and developed the ability to consume both animal and plant cells, the extra nutrients resulting giving rise to the larger brain that is attributed to man’s higher thinking. As such, the taking away of animal lives was necessary for our species’ development. Now, as science explodes in every direction, we find ourselves able to be sustained without the outright need to eat animals. In an ideal world, we could all survive on plants with supplements for our other nutritional needs. However, our world today is far from ideal; with a population past 7 billion people we are consuming resources at a lightning pace, greatly unsustainable. Sadly, this problem can only get worse as more and more people reproduce. There are simply not enough resources to ensure that everyone gets the nutrients they need if we had everyone eat plant life with supplements. There aren’t enough plants, and the human body is really not that efficient at consuming plant life (it was never designed for any ‘vore’ besides an omnivore). Therefore, the only solution that ‘works’(used loosely) is to have a combination of meat and plant life that can together provide enough food for most of the earth’s population. It is only with this mix that humanity can hope to survive at these insanely high populations (for a while anyways). Give me a solution to over-population of the earth. Then we can talk about a no-meat diet for everyone. P.S: I understand what you’re trying to say here PETA, but veganism seems to be a pleasant, idealistic hobby for privileged first-world peoples rather than a solution for any real world problems. I could promote stamp collecting, but that doesn’t mean that everyone should start collecting stamps. Sure the animals shouldn’t be getting killed, but there really isn’t anyway we can stop it at any meaningful level without doing something really substantial, something I think outside of the scope of a non-profit organization and it’s followers. Utmost respect, Daniel

• Jones says:

By nature’s standards we are of course omnivorous primates. However the amount of meats in people’s diets are just too much. We should have a diet that is more plant-based with the occasional light meat (fish/insects/and sometimes bird). Red meat is an unnecessary meat. Could you consider telling other primates to stop eating their meats live? It is indeed a horrible thing that we humans are doing to process & the execution of meats. They should live in an area that is free an natural, many acres of land. Most of my diet is plant-based and considers tofu & nuts for most of the proteins. No red meat in this lifestyle. I don’t eat meat often, but when I do I enjoy the free-ranged poultry variety.

• Dario D. Goddin says:

I love animals and I’m a meat eater. I realize that just in that short statement I’ve probably lost about half of you. For the other intelligent half, let me first start out by saying that I’m going to have to disagree with some of the aforementioned views on the basis of evolution and the food chain. So if a lion tears a pig to shreds and eats it, how is that humane exactly? Do you hate lions as the result of that? Of course not, because lions are animals and this is what they do to survive. How are humans any different in this? Sure some meat farms do some very horrible things up until the death of said animals and I definitely DO NOT agree with torturing any living creature but people who eat meat aren’t necessarily advocates of torturing animals as your collective group of overly opinionated vegans would like you to believe. As a person who eats meat, chicken, fish, I don’t view this as being any different from what other animals do in the wild, it’s survival of the fittest and you can’t tell me for a second that if the world was suddenly ridden of all plant life, you’d starve to death before killing an animal to stay alive. Please stop with the hypocrisy, it’s getting old. Just because people eat meat it doesn’t mean they hate animals and if the universe and powers that be intended for us to all live off the land and be herbivores, all animals would abstain from eating meat as well. I saw a post above where a user suggested us meat eaters get with the times? How about you get with what’s been occurring on this planet for millions of years.

• Jaden says:

I think that is some serious bs. Can’t believe that. Those poor animals! :,(

• Jinnine-P says:

Look at that pig! How can anyone kill an animal if they have a CHOICE not to.

• Hey, Max. says:

So…it’s “in your nature” to eat meat, huh? Interesting. Human beings have, “in their nature,” the capability for MANY unpleasant things: murderous rage, rape, torture, callousness, enslavement of other races, exploitation, and all manner of cruelty. Does that mean we SHOULD act these things out? Or that perhaps (unlike that “lion” you drag into this discussion) we, as humans, might be capable of seeing beyond our own momentary, self-centered desires? To be aware of the needs of other beings, and our own longer-term (environmental, survival) needs? I would hope that reasoning with you would be SLIGHTLY different than reasoning with a lion. But hey, I don’t know ya. ;-) P.S.: Max: LINK to your study…or include a reference to it, please? (“Science has proven” doesn’t exactly work on us grown-ups.) :-)

• Max says:

Telling me not to eat meat is like telling a lion not to eat meat.Humans are omnivorus (should eat both animal and plant products) and while i condemn the abuse of animals, i will not stop eating meat as it is in my nature.Also science has proven that people who eat meat have an intelectual advantage over vegans due to vegans not getting crucial proteins found only in meat

• Barb says:

All I have to say is that people who eat meat have no compassion for animals and that makes me so angry. I give people dirty looks at the store when they have meat in their cart. This is the 21 century . Give me a break go meat free. Animals deserve to live happy lives too. thanks Peta

• Samuel A says:

Jasmin, as far as I know there are no national supermarkets that are 100% or even close to being vegan. And there’s a simple reason for this. It would simply not be a profitable enterprise. While a vegan supermarket would supply a very specific market, there would simply not be enough customers to warrant it’s inception. The key lies in the name ‘super’market. The vegan population only accounts for a very small percentage of the first world, the strong majority of people still choose a non-vegan lifestyle regardless of whether they’re familiar with the animal production/treatment standards in your nation. This is fact. And while there is certainly a market for a franchised vegan outlet, it would simply not be profitable on a ‘supermarket’ scale (due to the relatviely small % of the population that is vegan). As good an idea as it may be, no-one would embark on a business venture that would loose them great sums of money. yes, for the time being money does rule the world :( Also, you’ll all be very happy to hear that scientists at my university (University of Adelaide) have bred sheep for Australian conditions that don’t require mulesing. Whilst you may disagree with animal production in general, at least it is comforting to hear that the producers are spending great sums of money on developing alternative strategies to prevent ‘fly strike’ in sheep! Sheep that have minimal skin folds around their breech (backside) are being selected for production purposes now. Having a ‘smooth’ breech means that flies can’t lay their eggs around the anus of a sheep. Breeds sucsceptible to fly strike have a breech that has many skin folds. These folds are warm and moist, ideal conditions for fly larvae (maggots) to grow and develop. The maggots feed on the sheep’s body tissues and carry disease that eventually kills the sheep slowly. This is why loose skin around the breech is cut off in the mulesing process. But perhaps that process (mulesing) is no longer needed to prevent the slow poison death a sheep with ‘fly strike’ would otherwise have!!

• Stewart says:

Great post, Ingrid. Since we hear so much about “sustainable” meat, I’d like to elaborate about why the term is truly and oxymoron. Killing animals for food is not only immoral, it is not environmentally-friendly. Not even on these small farms. Animals allowed to move around expend more calories and thus consume more resources than those crammed into tiny crates and cages. Chickens not pumped full of antibiotics and genetically manipulated to reach optimal slaughter weight at 6-1/2 weeks take longer to raise — and consume more food in the process. Cows raised on pasture produce more methane (a greenhouse gas 25 times more potent than carbon dioxide) than those crammed into feedlots. Supporting a meat-based diet requires five times as much land as a plant-based diet, and smaller farms use even more land per animal. Additional demand for these products means deforestation, which leads to increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. The amount of land needed to produce all the meat Americans now consume by so-called “sustainable” methods would be astronomical — and it simply isn’t available. We’d need several more planets to produce “sustainably-raised” meat for the masses. So it becomes a product for wealthy elitists. How can something that uses so much land and other resources ever really merit the “sustainable” label? Give me a break!

• Marisa N says:

I couldn’t have said it better myself. The animals thank you for all you do, PETA. I hope to work for you some day!

• Hailey Chang says:

Eating animals is to take away lives that do not belong to us. However well the animals are treated at a farm, it is never ethical to eat them or use their skin and fur.

• Tamra says:

Very well said. Thank you.

• Brittany says:

Nicely said, I agree. But I’m just curious, what did you mean by genuine Aboriginal? I understand Aboriginal is a person but I don’t understand what you meant by what you said.

• Maru Vigo says:

Nobody could have said it better than you, Ingrid! I am very happy and proud to be a member and supporter of a group like PETA where we are consistent, effective, and never allow double moral standards. Our mission statement is alive and written with indelible ink for everyone to see! PETA RULES!

• PETA says:

Hi, Jasmin, thanks for your comment and question. Congratulations on your new healthy, humane vegan lifestyle! All supermarkets sell delicious, nutritious foods like produce, pasta, rice, beans, whole grains, and nuts that should make up the bulk of a vegan’s meals.

Nationally, there are the Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s chains that sell many vegan items, but there are also local health/natural foods stores. The number and scope of these stores depends on the area. Check out HappyCow.net to find veg-friendly stores and shop online through PETAMall.com, which lists many vegan-friendly retailers.

And, of course, many conventional grocery stores have begun to stock more and more vegan items (http://www.peta.org/…/accidentally-vegan.aspx). Customers can also request that their local grocery store order certain items, and if they sell well, stores will add them to the regular inventory.

For more information, tips, and recipes, please visit http://www.PETA.org/issues/Animals-Used-For-Food/default.aspx and http://www.PETA.org/living/vegetarian-living/default.aspx.

Enjoy!

• Jasmin says:

Hello I’m starting a vegan lifestyle I don’t want to consume anymore animals wanted to ask you is there any national supermarket that’s all vegan or any that come close for example has many vegan products and variety not just a few here and there.If people at the supermarket would witness the torture animals go through they would put down all the meat in their cart either by disgust or/and pity peta should think of very creative ideas to get the message across people are hardheaded and ignorant have to open their eyes to reality. Anyways thank you and keep up the good work

• Henry D says:

Beautifully said, and this is why I make monthly payments to a life insurance policy with PETA as the beneficiary, and am a proud member of the group. If anyone can get this message through to people, it’s PETA!