PETA to Omelette Festival: Scramble Tofu, Not Eggs

Written by PETA | November 2, 2007

Tofu Scramble
Speedvegan/Creative Commons
Tofu_Scramble.jpg

There’s a little town in LA called Abbeville, whose claim to fame is its annual Giant Omelette Festival. Held each fall, the event centers on—brace yourself—a giant omelette that is made from more than 5000 eggs*. PETA Senior VP Lisa Lange—a former Louisianian and Cajun whose dad grew up in Abbeville—got wind of the event, she was all over it, wasting no time in firing off a letter to the organizers asking that they replace the eggs in this year’s omelette with tofu. PETA is even offering to pay for all the tofu . . . What a deal!

I’ll let you know if we hear back from the organizers, but, uhm, don’t hold your breath. In the meantime, here is a news story about it, and here is Lisa’s letter.

*In addition to being utterly disgusting (eggs are, like, chicken periods, after all), eggs are a product of quite possibly the most abusive industry on the planet. Egg laying hens endure a nightmare that lasts about two years, during which time a large portion of each hen’s beak is cut off with a burning-hot blade, and they are shoved into tiny wire “battery” cages with five to 11 other hens. Even in the best scenario, each hen will spend the rest of her life crowded in a space about the size of a file drawer with four other hens, unable to lift even a single wing. Additionally, since male chicks are worthless to the egg industry, every year millions of them are tossed into trash bags to suffocate or are thrown into high-speed grinders called macerators while they are still alive. Sorry to be such a buzz kill here, but hey, that’s my job.

Comments

• Tim R says:

As I said Ariel I admitted that there were arguments for the other side but I did not know them as well. Thank you for finding them. However knives and forks are not necessities. They are luxuries. Our teeth do quite well at tearing meat when it is in our mouth knives and forks make the bites smaller and more civilized. And meat is not unhealthy for you if you eat it in smaller amounts. We are meant to be omnivores with a variety of a diet… Meat is unhealthy for this society not because we are eating meat but because we eat it in excess just as we eat everything in excess.

• Ana says:

Mars Jesus was radical. The Jews only kept to themselves loved only their coreligionists. Jesus also angrily decried animal sacrifices. I think the only satanist is you especially since you use that word so much. Crawl back into hell fool. Your comments are ludicrous and have gotten really old just like your cut and paste projects. Blah blah…so much nonsense.

• Ariel says:

What’s the matter MARS afraid of the UNbiased TRUTH or is your reading comprehension dysfunction hindering your diminished capability to be educated? Go to the UNbiased website that I posted in my last post and have someone with reading comprehension explain it to you http://www.upconline.orgdebeakingota.html

• Mars says:

And as usual Ariel you are very much wrong and posting junk isn’t helping you. “which also GREATLY diminishes the function of the beakbeak area for the chickens to eat drink and preen.” Now explain to us why removing 13 of a chickens upper beak makes it unable to do those things or “diminishes” it’s capability to do so.The only thing it diminishes is the chickens ability to peck itself or other chickens to death.

• Ariel says:

Tim R. Well since religion has no place in these argruments and since we’re not going to talk about it then I won’t say anything about the “O.T. and animal sacrifices” and I won’t say anything about “Paul” and I won’t say anything about the “creaton story” Genesis saying that God gave human animals the fruit and grains of the land to eat. And I won’t say that animals were given the grasses of the land. And I won’t say that God refused to accept animal sacrifices in the O.T. “I hate despise your festivals…Even though you offer Me your burnt offerings…of wellbeing of your fatted animals. I will not look upon you…” Amos 52124 And I won’t say that the books of the Bible are not particularly in order when Ezekeil 34 said “My body has never be DEFILED by eating flesh.” And I won’t say that God put animals on this earth to cohabitat with mankind not for them to be served on a plate. But I will say that we were out teeth were not meant to eat meat because we do not have long canine teeth to tear apart meat as do the animals. Knives for dining and forks were not invented until approx. the past past century and a half. And I will also so say that eating meat causes arterio and heart related diseases. Therefore mankind was not to eat meat because coming right down to it it is detrimental to mankind’s health.

• Caboose (neutral, blue army. Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha) says:

Can I get an answer for my ruminants question?

• Ariel says:

As usual MARS is WRONG AGAIN in ITS post 11907956pm responding to Kim’s post 11807922pm. When the space cadet MARS tells anyone to “educate themselves first” IT should take ITS own advice first. Kim’s only “fault” was giving MARS too much credit for having common sense without her feeling she needed to explain every little detail as I also found that is what MARS requires due to ITS lack of plain old common sense. Contrary to MARS trimmming the beaks of chickens is NOT “no different than trimming your nails. Without refererring to any source it is common sense to know that animals as well as human animals have bodies that are STRUCTURED for their needs and purposes as is. Any mutilation or deletion of the body’s structure causes a hindrance for the body to function to its fullest capabilities. Referring to a source Briefly trimming chicken’s beaks or debeaking is a VERY painful process which also GREATLY diminishes the function of the beakbeak area for the chickens to eat drink and preen. gosh that sounds like my broader description only in detail source United Poultry Concerns http://www.upconline.orgdebeakingota.html please note that it is an UNbiased source Therefore Kim is correct that underneath there is blood vessels nerves bone and I’ll add a central nervous system to the brain from those nerves in order to feel PAIN.

• Caboose (anti Combine. Go Gordon Freeman) says:

Ana Actually It’s now Communist.

• Tim R says:

Religion has no place in any of these arguments… On either side… The Bible condones animal sacrifices in the Old Testament. In the New Testament many references are made to eating meat such as the slaughter of the fatted calf for the prodigal son. Paul also makes many references to eating meat and the right to do so as long as it does not hurt your brothers faith. He also states the same for those who do not eat meat. Both sides have their right to their choice. But one thing I don’t get is how can you say that meateaters go against gods plan? Our bodies are made to eat meat. Our teeth are made to tear meat. god put the animals on the earth to serve man not as equals. Read the creation story. And of course there is nowhere in the Bible I can think of that would say those that choose not to eat meat are wrong either. As I’ve said in another post I am not a Christian. I do not believe in organized religion I am a deist however if you are going to use religion in your arguments know what you are saying. And as for the issue in this blog I see nothing wrong with eating eggs just as I see nothing wrong with eating meat. There is something wrong with the way a large portion of the chickens are raised but eating locally raised free range chicken eggs is usually not a bad idea.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mars said “You can get Kuru from eating the brains of any animal not just humans.” So what are those other animals you can get it from? Name one. Just a simple question which you don’t seem to be able to answer.

• Mars says:

“He gave only Two commanments Love God and Love your neighbor.” Partial statements as typical from Ana. Jesus said Love God and keep His Commandments and love your nieghbor as God loves you.Not exactly radical thinking unless viewed from the original radical satans viewpoint.Others have noted that you don’t mention the fact that by your own definition satan is also a radical so he is part of those that call themselves radical as well.

• Caboose (neutral, blue army. Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha) says:

Can anybody answer my quesion?

• Mars says:

Kim educate yourself.Beaks are made of the same material as your fingernails and just like your fingernails the nerves you say exist are located in the flesh not the beak or nail itself.Trimming a chickens beak to prevent pecking is no different then trimming your nails. Mike Q “No it doesn’t. It is a TSE yes but also denotes a specific TSE.” Yes it does.Kuru is the name given by a specific group to the same or similar diseases we give a different name.All are the spongiform prion and can be had by eating meat of any effected animal but eating the brain where the disease is more abundant causes the better chance of getting the disease.Interesting to note that you posted fear of catching Kuru yet I doubt you are of the Fore People of New Guinea so your chances of catching it are as you postzero.Your chances of having or catching our form of the same disease does exist. So why would you post a fear of catching a disease you know you could not get as such? You fear catching CJmad cow chronic wasting disease that can come from eating any effected animal. Asked by Laura “Mars the first thing I wonder is why you consider veganism to be a Satanic attribute.” Where did I post that?

• Ana says:

Hi Ariel IT cannot understand our explanations about Christ being radical. He was so radical many of his followers and coreligionists called Him a blasphemer and refused to accept His teachings. No more eye for an eye forgiveness replaces that only one wife He spoke to women in that period not the norm He elevated the status of women through his Mother and He gave only Two commanments Love God and Love your neighbor. Radical! He changed the world Jesus’ ultimate message was one of peace. And so will we Ariel Mike Michele Vestagirl et al by spreading the message of Peace to ALL BEINGS!!! Now you are the socialist and I am “on the satinist side” I think IT meant satanic LOL!!!Great posts!! Keep fighting the good fight!

• Ariel says:

Hi Kim! I appreciate you getting back to me. As you know I wasn’t too clear as to you were referring with your question because as you also probably might know there are newcomers on here who may find it very confusing as to who are making the comments ara’s or the anti’s so I try to clear it up. But I understand what you meant now. And I TOTALLY agree with you about their hypocrisy. It doesn’t even make sense for anyone to make a broad statement by saying they “love” animals and then turn right around and enjoy eating animals who go through a lifetime of a misery before being mericlessly slaughtered. Oh I am DEFINITELY a strong person with strong convictions. I won’t back down to anybody’s continued nonsense about ar’s but I will not “entertain” their juvenile delinquent stupidity either. They are up against a LOT more with me than they realize and will ever know. I am glad to know that you are a strong person also. Take care!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mars said “Kuru in our society goes by the names of mad cow disease chronic wasting disease and CJ disease or if misdiagnosedalthiemers.” No it doesn’t. It is a TSE yes but also denotes a specific TSE. The fact remains you were unable to support your quote.

• Mike Quinoa says:

• Elle says:

Where is there evidence that Kuru has been spread from animals to humans? I see that scientists have injected Kuru into animals and they did indeed contract it. I am just curious as to whether you have a url discussing the animal to human transmission.

• Kim says:

BTW Ariel THANK YOU for continually posting I really enjoy reading them. You sound very intelligent unlike others and I love having a strong women stand with me on important issues. Love ya keep it up!!

• Kim says:

Ariel It was kind of a rhetorical questions as well as sarcastic…but that’s okay. I just get annoyed but people saying that they love animals but still eat them not only in this blog but in others as well. Mars You stated that beaks are made of the same thing as fingernails hair…uh COMPLETELY FALSE. The outside yes is made of keratin then BONE and in the very inside BLOOD VESSELS and NERVES. Yeah…just like a haircut. If your going to spew out “facts” could you possibly EDUCATE yourself first?

• Caboose (neutral, blue army. Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha) says:

Ariel Are you going to refer to me as “it” too? Im trying not to be as arrogant as Mr. space cadet with my arguments if you want to call them that P.

• Mars says:

Mike Q Kuru in our society goes by the names of mad cow disease chronic wasting disease and CJ disease or if misdiagnosedalthiemers.

• Mars says:

Would you not by your definition then call the angel Lucifer who rebelled and is an extremist a radical. Those that go against Gods plan are the radical ones not those destined to restore it.Of course like I posted those that are on the radical satans side would view Jesus as radical for opposing that view. “The Pharisees the Scribes and any other person who strictly followed the Jewish beliefs in Jesus’ time were traditionalists not radicals.” If you really read your Bible you would know that Jesus opposed SOME of these groups not all and Jesus was taught by them to an extent. Many of those groups had fallen to thinking they where the ones that got to make radical rules against what the Bible said even allowing money changers in the Temples. “And no Ariel is not stupid to use any unknown gender to assume. You are just so cowardly that you are afraid to even reveal your gender. So I will continue to refer to you as “it.” Fine with me.Yes she was stupid for posting heshe with every statement and the only one hung up on gender. Seems everyone else chose what ever gender they wanted and went with that. Unlike her I don’t find being refered to either gender as an insult so either one or nuetral will work.All your really looking for is more info for your hate hence why you post “space cadet” instead of Mars.

• Laura says:

Mars the first thing I wonder is why you consider veganism to be a Satanic attribute. I am an atheist but I am educated enough on the topic of Christianity that I wonder how killing and abusing animals is the less morally and Biblically correct thing to do especially in a day and age when it is quite possible to live healthfully without doing so. I am of the opinion that Jesus in modern times would definitely be a vegan. If he showed such compassion for humanity he would certainly do the same for animals. Another question I have to everyone is this Why the direct attacks? On both sides you are far more likely to make your point effectively if you exercise restraint. Meateaters you’ll make yourselves look like the cold ignorant caricatures you are often portrayed as. Veggie folk you’ll make yourselves look like the stereotypical crazy PETA hippies. Let’s show them our intelligence.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mars said “You can get Kuru from eating the brains of any animal not just humans.” So what are those OTHER nonhuman animals you can get it from? Can’t come up with one? I didn’t think you could. Why don’t you research before you post?

• Ariel says:

MARS Why do you insist on being wrong day after day no matter what ar’s activist you are addressing? Are you imbalanced or just have a sadistic need to make a fool out of yourself? I’d like to maintain the focus of this site as being for what it is intended ANIMAL RIGHTS’ However after these BIZARRE claims that you made I will not be addressing anything other than animal issues. Understood? The Pharisees the Scribes and any other person who strictly followed the Jewish beliefs in Jesus’ time were traditionalists not radicals. I don’t perceive you to be a Theologian by any stretch of the imagination so I would say you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about otherwise especially since you don’t have a clue about anything else that you rant about. In fact I’m inclined to think you are a compulsive liar. And you are SO desperate because you couldn’t prove any of my socalled claims that you concocted that now you have to go so low to accuse me of being on the side of satan. You are really a despicable being who doesn’t deserve an ounce of respect and definitely not worthy of being on this respectable blog site. And no Ariel is not stupid to use any unknown gender to assume. You are just so cowardly that you are afraid to even reveal your gender. So I will continue to refer to you as “it.”

• Mars says:

Mike Q “Just give me ONE example. After all YOU are the one that wrote itmade it up.” I did. Didn’t know you whereare a cannibal living in New Guinea.

• rojo says:

jojo well mate the “gross” part about a human period is the blood and tissue expeled from the body the egg is so miniscule you would get much eating out of it if even you tried.

• Mars says:

” Yes Christ was considered radical in that he changed so many things including what Jews believed.” And their belief was the radical ones not Jesus’ beliefs.Restoring order from radicals is not being radical. “”Jesus Christ has also been described as being a radical.” which is true.” Jesus being called a radical may be true but the truth is He was not except by the viewpoint of the satanist radicals that rebelled against God in the first place.Of course your being on the satanist side you would then have that radical Jesus viewpoint as He opposed what you do. ” so much as revealed a gender after months and months of posting daily and it gets quite cumbersome to keep writing “heshe” “hisher”" And yet Ariel is the only one stupid enough to write heshe. Everybody else just posts what they feel is correct since gender doesn’t matter.

• Caboose (neutral, blue army. Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha) says:

What would happen to the ruminants if the whole world went vegan? Where would they go since we wouldnt need them? And the land suitable for them is almost always occupied and will be due to human overpopulation!

• Laura says:

Mars “As for the Boca supporters A little hypocritical to say one group is “bad” for using eggs and yet another group it is OK.I didn’t post a thing about Boca being vegan but the fact that the Boca company does use eggs and milk in their products.If you posted that they should ban using eggs at this event then you should also stop buying Boca and Morning Star products for the same reason.” I’m surprised no one has answered this yet. We buy Boca and Morning Star products for two reasons. 1 It is almost impossible to eat food produced solely by vegan companies or individuals. 2 By buying vegan products from these companies we are letting them know that there is a demand for them and encouraging them to make more. This equates to less focus on nonvegan products and more focus on vegan products. And so we are helping phase out nonvegan products from these companies’ product lines.

• Ariel says:

kim Thanks for your question. I don’t know what posts you are referring to but I think you might be referring to the antiar’s activists who frequently comment on here. So that would make it confusing since they don’t explicitly identify themselves as being anti. Did I understand your question correctly and if so is my response helpful in answering your question?

• Ariel says:

Post 11607 910 pm And once again Mars reading comprehension disorder kicks in. 1. I have studied some languages to a very small extent compared to the vast amount of education that studying them has to offer. I am not about to further explain Latin formally studied for 2 years nor the Greek interpretationselaborations reposted 11607 451pm since Mars can’t even comprehend English. 2. IF Mars appears to see both sides of a definition in its point 2 then why is Mars so stubbornly onesided against learning about ar’s beliefs? Mars post 11707 719 am in reference to addressing another ar’s activists’ comment that “Jesus Christ has also been described as being a radical.” which is true. Quoted response from the space cadet “Only by satanic humanists.” That is very ambiguous statement in relationship to time yet a VERY derogatory comment that would heavily imply the Jewish people of His time who did not accept His radical teachings were “satanic” OR anyone else who says it thereafter as being “satanic.” Next sentence same post “The radical ones are those who oppose Gods plan and design.” Is that to imply that J.C. a Teacher who presented radical changes in spiritual and earthly beliefs went against God’s plans and designs? May I suggest that Mars read and absorb and CORRECTLY interpret the first Book of Genesis. suggestion before reading learn the foundation of Genesis So one may ask a fair question how does this relate to animal rights? Answer MARS will make any kind of outbursts and unproven claims and false accusations just to try to be abrasive against the animal rights’ movement. to clarify I use “it” in referring to Mars because heshe has not even so much as revealed a gender after months and months of posting daily and it gets quite cumbersome to keep writing “heshe” “hisher”

• Ana says:

Humanists were not religious. Yes Christ was considered radical in that he changed so many things including what Jews believed. You really are an idiot but you probably had your brain squashed in one your traps.

• nana says:

mars it’s people like you who oppose God’s plans and design but you are such a fanatic that you don’t even recognize it!

• Ana says:

My advice to you is that if your “plants can think and feel” is to go back to your MD and get a change of meds because obviously they are not working. And if you’re religious FYI in the book of Genesis God exclaimed that the humans would eat what the plantstrees bear fruitvegetables. Your point is moot and ridiculous.

• Mars says:

“Jesus Christ has also been described as being radical.” Only by satanic humanists.The radical ones are those that oppose Gods plans and design.

• Caboose (neutral, blue army. Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha) says:

Latin is obsolete!

• jojo says:

Rojo wrote “I’m a little disappointed that in this day and age a period would be described as disgusting. They are have or will be a regular occurance for half of the population. Having not had one I won’t comment on whether it’s disgusting for a woman or not. But I wouldn’t wish my daughters to have a preconceived idea that it was so or something to be ashamed of.” Hey buddy would you eat your daughter’s period? NO because that’d be disgusting. It’s not gross that chickens lay eggs it’s just gross to want to consume that egg. really filthy gross. jojo

• Caboose (neutral, blue army. Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha) says:

Wow all this bickering and crossfire for eggs and tofu.

• Mars says:

OK Ariel “Greek word meaning to get to the bottom of things with the TRUTH ” 1. Not a “greek” word. 2. Nothing defines it as “truth”.In fact it can be just the opposite.

• jon samson says:

i hate eggs i cant believe people would eat them y? that is just wrong like cheas i mean a cow gave her calf up so some stingy person can eat it.

• kim says:

Why are hypocritical meateaters on a PETA website? Just a question.

• Ariel says:

I wouldn’t doubt that “Emily” will not come back to read this since most naysayers like to drop off comments and run. However IF “Emily” were to read this then I would like her ask her Seriously WHO is MAKING you or anyone become a vegetarian? We present the FACTS the decision is up to the person. On the other hand we could ask why have we been inundated bombarded and brainwashed by the meat and dairy industries into believing that animalrelated foods are totally healthy for us while the medical profession constantly deals with MORE than obesity but with arterial and heartrelated conditions whereby the above “totally healthy” foods are a MAIN contributing factor? We have been hyped by the meat and dairy industries for the almighty dollar. see the “CCF” who promotes their hype. Meanwhile PeTA’s educational FACTS are for FREE. And may I add that those industries are VERY influential in our govt. with their “sweetheart” deals through contributing for campaign funding. Therefore they actually sway our bills into laws for their benefit $$$$$$ ONLY. And to “Somethingtothinkabout” Please do some REALISTIC thinking in order for plants to think and feel “they” would have to have a brain that reacts from a central nervous system a spinal cord and nerve endings that would relate. Plants have none and never will.

• Ariel says:

Thank you again space cadet MARS for going out of your way to prove me right on several aspects defintions too numerous to mention relating to the word “radical” but especially for “relating to the root” of a situation and “extremely different from the usual” et al the acceptable norm of society’s outmoded way of thinking even though it be wrong such as with slavery. Btw I wrote “STEMS” meaning a wider concept by the Greeks not “originates” to mean one Latin word “root.” FYI the ancient Hebrews and other multilingual societies past and present expanded on the Latin meaning of “root” as you will see with your very own attempts to prove me wrong. Now perhaps you would also like to take the time to quote me with time and date as to ANOTHER one of your bizarre claims “As usual Ariels definition has a radical flaw.” for as far as I understand my definition of “radical” was right on target! And that’s nice that you THINK that you are going to out live me. But at least my life would be one of quality or having some value meaning speaking out against cruelty cruelty to animals and having respect for ALL living beings and our environment. Now go look up the words “cruelty” “respect” and “living beings” AND “killer” hunter Mars.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mars said “You can get Kuru from eating the brains of any animal not just humans.” So what are those other animals you can get it from? Just give me ONE example. After all YOU are the one that wrote itmade it up.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Somethingtothinkabout You may not be aware of this but meateaters are responsible for way more “herbicide” than vegetarians or vegans. First people that eat meat also eat their fair share of plants. Secondly vast amounts of plant food are grown specifically to feed meat animals and while ratios vary it takes multiple pounds of plant food to create a single pound of meat.

• Ariel says:

Thank you again space cadet MARS for going out of your way to prove me right on several aspects too numerous to mention relating to the word “radical” especially for “relating to the root” and “extremely different from the usual” ie the acceptable norm of society’s outmoded way of thinking even though it be wrong. And as always your reading comprehension dysfunction came through. Take notice that I wrote the word “radical” STEMS from the Greek word meaning it was “borrowed” from the ancient Latin language just as much as it is was “borrowed” or STEMS from the ancient Hebrews as well as it is “borrowed” in many multilanguages throughout the world today as we ourselves “borrow” it in the English language. Therefore I did not write “originated.” Now perhaps you would want to look into the Latin word that would describe you “ad nauseum.” And perhaps you would also like to take the time to quote me with time and date as to another one of your bizarre claims “As usual Ariels definition has a radical flaw.” for as far as I understand my definition of “radical” was right on target!

• Ana says:

Jesus Christ has also been described as being radical. I am keeping very good company. People seeking changes were also described as radicals suffragists suffragettes abolitionists and the list goes on.

• Mars says:

“Main Entry 1radical Pronunciation radikl Function adjective Etymology Middle English radical “relating to a root” from Latin radicalis same meaning from earlier radic radix “root” related to ERADICATE RADISH 1 of relating to or proceeding from a root 2 a departing sharply from the usual or ordinary EXTREME b of or relating to radicals in politics radically kl adverb radicalness noun Word History Our word radical was formed from the Latin adjective radicalis which simply meant “of or relating to a root.” The Latin word radix meant “root.” This meaning was kept when the word radicalis came into English as radical but new senses developed too. Since a root is at the bottom of something radical came to describe what is at the base or beginning in other words what is “basic fundamental.” Later radical was used to describe something that was extremely different from the usual. Then as a noun radical came to be applied to a person who wants to make extreme or “radical” changes in the government or in society. In mathematics a radical sign indicates a root of a number. The words radish and eradicate also come from the Latin radix.” “Arising from or going to a root or source basic proposed a radical solution to the problem. Departing markedly from the usual or customary extreme radical opinions on education. Favoring or effecting fundamental or revolutionary changes in current practices conditions or institutions radical political views. Linguistics. Of or being a root a radical form. Botany. Arising from the root or its crown radical leaves. Slang. Excellent wonderful. n. One who advocates fundamental or revolutionary changes in current practices conditions or institutions radicals seeking to overthrow the social order. Mathematics. The root of a quantity as indicated by the radical sign. Symbol R An atom or a group of atoms with at least one unpaired electron. Linguistics. ” As usual Ariels definition has a radical flaw.