PETA to Omelette Festival: Scramble Tofu, Not Eggs

Written by PETA | November 2, 2007

Tofu Scramble
Speedvegan/Creative Commons
Tofu_Scramble.jpg

There’s a little town in LA called Abbeville, whose claim to fame is its annual Giant Omelette Festival. Held each fall, the event centers on—brace yourself—a giant omelette that is made from more than 5000 eggs*. PETA Senior VP Lisa Lange—a former Louisianian and Cajun whose dad grew up in Abbeville—got wind of the event, she was all over it, wasting no time in firing off a letter to the organizers asking that they replace the eggs in this year’s omelette with tofu. PETA is even offering to pay for all the tofu . . . What a deal!

I’ll let you know if we hear back from the organizers, but, uhm, don’t hold your breath. In the meantime, here is a news story about it, and here is Lisa’s letter.

*In addition to being utterly disgusting (eggs are, like, chicken periods, after all), eggs are a product of quite possibly the most abusive industry on the planet. Egg laying hens endure a nightmare that lasts about two years, during which time a large portion of each hen’s beak is cut off with a burning-hot blade, and they are shoved into tiny wire “battery” cages with five to 11 other hens. Even in the best scenario, each hen will spend the rest of her life crowded in a space about the size of a file drawer with four other hens, unable to lift even a single wing. Additionally, since male chicks are worthless to the egg industry, every year millions of them are tossed into trash bags to suffocate or are thrown into high-speed grinders called macerators while they are still alive. Sorry to be such a buzz kill here, but hey, that’s my job.

Comments

• Somethingtothinkabout says:

what will you PeTA eat if scientists one day discover plants can think and feel?

• Violet says:

I’ve heard that those male chicks that are grinded up in the macerators are fed back to the female chickens as food in some places! That is just sick and wrong! If you eat eggs than you are supporting all this.

• Caboose (neutral, blue army. Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha) says:

The best thing to do is to eat in moderation. Some produce some greens. Plus excercize a healty socialnot Socialist life and being able to reason.

• Emily says:

Seriously guys not everyone sees the world the way you do. Stop trying to make this a vegetarian country it won’t happen. I can assure you. I like meat. You don’t have to. Just don’t try to take away my right to enjoy meat. I’d also like to point out that meat isn’t the only cause of obesity in America just in case you think you’d be doing us all a favor by making us vegetarians. Thanks for your time Emily

• Mars says:

“According to you anything vegans eat is unhealthy. ” Nope. As you say go find that post. Anything meat or vegetable that is processed is for the most part unhealthy and atleast full of chemical preservatives. As for the Boca supporters A little hypocritical to say one group is “bad” for using eggs and yet another group it is OK.I didn’t post a thing about Boca being vegan but the fact that the Boca company does use eggs and milk in their products.If you posted that they should ban using eggs at this event then you should also stop buying Boca and Morning Star products for the same reason. “Anyway obviously in its desperation to make any kind of moot point the space cadet will put its foot in its own mouth by overlooking the fact that meat is not healthy due to being a highly contributing factor to arterial and heartrelated illnesses ” And as I’ve posted before vegans die of the same diseases. I have no problem understanding that I will not live forever and don’t count my life as good simply based on years lived. Fact is Ariel by your own posts I’ll probaly outlive you and am healthier as well. Mike Q “So what are those other animals you can get it from?” From what I read any of them. Using your own wikipedia source even it states there may have been an outbreak do to a group eating squirrel brains. Asked by ariel “Is the space cadet on a health kick now?” Always have been andas my MD states I’ll live to be 100 if I don’t get run over by a truck first.Being vegan does not equate to being healthy based solely on that.Sitting on you butt all day eating a salad is no more healthy living then sitting on your butt eating a steak.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Mars said “You can get Kuru from eating the brains of any animal not just humans.” So what are those other animals you can get it from?

• Michele says:

Daz that is a very good question and Ariel summed it up just fine. I read a great book last year that I would recommend for you. It’s called “The Pig Who Sang to the Moon” and it’s about the emotional lives of farm animals. This is one of those books that captures one’s interest right away I could barely put it down once I got started. Very poignant funny sad all in one book.

• mark says:

As far as Boca is concerned they do produce vegan products you just have to be aware of whether are not the product you buy is vegan. From their site Which BOCA Foods products are vegan or free of animalderived ingredients? The following BOCA products in our Mainstream line are now desginated vegan Chili Vegan Burger Roasted Garlic Burger Roasted Onion Burger Chik’n Nuggets Chik’n Patties Spicy Chik’n Patties and Ground Burger. For the Roasted Garlic Burger and Chik’n Nuggets and Patties we’ve recently removed egg milk and dairy ingredients to make them vegan. To ensure that the package you have is vegan we recommend that you check the ingredient line to ensure that egg milk and dairy ingredients aren’t listed. In our line made with no artificial preservatives or flavors both the BOCA Vegan Burger and BOCA Ground Burger are vegan.

• Ariel says:

Hi Daz! Please don’t ever have any reluctance for asking an intelligent question to ar’s activists. In fact we welcome intelligent questions. Going by what you say no there is no problem with that and some vegetarians do eat eggs and food products that contain eggs. Vegans are people who choose not to consume eggs and any animalrelated food products. As ar’s activists our issues are with the intolerable conditions and the suffering that the hens endure in order for their eggs to be obtained.

• Ariel says:

1. In reference to my previous comment stating meat has blood arteriesveins muscle nerves the space cadet MARS responded “And tasty ones at that.” Then the space cadet in its post 11507841am re veggie burgers “Now go reread your “healthy” ingredients and you’ll find all is not healthy.” Is the space cadet on a health kick now? Anyway obviously in its desperation to make any kind of moot point the space cadet will put its foot in its own mouth by overlooking the fact that meat is not healthy due to being a highly contributing factor to arterial and heartrelated illnesses AND eating meat is the closest description to being a cannibal. And since I have written on heartrelated diseases from meat several times in great length the space cadet not only proves its lack of reading comprehension but also lacks reading retention ability. 2.Well at least us ar’s activists received a compliment from RayO. Yes we are “radicals” because the word “radical” stems from the Greek word meaning to get to the bottom of things with the TRUTH where otherwise the way of society’s thinking is the outmoded irrational andor harmful norm. Among only two from a VERY long list who were considered “radicals” were Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Ghandi. So we are in good company and we thank Rayo for the compliment!

• Ana says:

Mars According to you anything vegans eat is unhealthy. The only thing unhealthy is your limited ability in comprehending the morality of veganism and your lack of compassion for beings other than a human. I will have to qualify which humans if you had any compassion for animal rights advocates you’d desist in writing such blatantly stupid comments that are an eyesore. Your comments insult our intelligence and the intelligence of other creatures.

• Michele says:

Well Mars since you think that nonhuman animals are similar enough for animal testing results to be applicable to humans then why would you conveniently think that they are different enough when it comes to their reaction to pain?

• Mars says:

” Reading comprehension does wonders!” Sure does. Now go reread your “healthy” ingredients and you’ll find all is not healthy.

• Daz says:

Please don’t jump down my throat as I’m only asking a question but if you take the pain and misery of the industry out of the equation ie if you kept your own pet chickens in the garden and treated them really kindly wouldn’t eating eggs be ok if you wanted to? After all eggs aren’t a life until they’re fertilised and if you only keep hens without cockerels they were never going to be anyway! I am Vegetarian not a vegan but I am interested in this issue. Thank you.

• Mars says:

” Just because the chickens cannot “tell” us about it in our language does not mean it is not true. For instance an infant cannot yet speak in a human language but anyone with some sense of compassion “knows” when a baby is in pain or has been neglected and left in terrible conditions.” A human baby is not a chicken.We know what a human baby feels is uncomfortable because we have the same biology. Posted by Michele “Dogs wolves and weasels are not just wandering around looking for a nice fat chicken to smack around for fun” On the contrary they do.Get either one in your chicken pen and you can expect every chicken to be killed with most not eaten.A domestic cat is the worst for killing for play though.

• Mars says:

“cousew its damned painful imagine having your top lip cut off ” Completely different. A chickens beak is made of the same material as your hairfingernails and toenails.It hurts the chicken about as much as you getting a haircut or trimming your nails.Even your “free range” chickens need it done.

• Caboose says:

It doesnt matter Laura

• Ana says:

Laura I agree.

• Ana says:

There is a VEGAN Boca Burger the original one and it is delicious. Look at the ingredients. Reading comprehension does wonders! Ariel Well said! Peace!

• Ana says:

Mars More stupid comments. It has already been documented by scientists that chickens do indeed suffer and feel pain. Mars you might look uncomfortable being impaled but it doesn’t mean you feel any pain. DUH! Maybe it is time for you to return to Uranus.

• Caboose says:

PETAtaking the easy and socialist way out.

• daisy says:

i hate eggs anyway but even if i did like them i would never eat them

• Laura says:

“Curious on how you then justify Boca and Morning Star that use eggs in their products.” We don’t. Those products are for lactoovo vegetarians not vegans. Being a vegetarian is far better than eating meat but it’s not as good as being a vegan.

• Ray-O says:

For the record… …Christopher’s comments don’t surprise me. You PETA guys are so radical that they’d expect you to eat humans rather than animals. And why not? Humans aren’t delicious but animals are! Unlike tofu scramble…

• alex says:

cousew its damned painful imagine having your top lip cut off and if your all like those chickens all run aroun happily together in grassy green field then your wrong so dont come on here ok

• rojo says:

I’m a little disappointed that in this day and age a period would be described as disgusting. They are have or will be a regular occurance for half of the population. Having not had one I won’t comment on whether it’s disgusting for a woman or not. But I wouldn’t wish my daughters to have a preconceived idea that it was so or something to be ashamed of. Some of the readers of this blog are quite young.

• LB says:

Its about the conditions the chicken endurs to provide easy eggs. Stuck in the cage beaks cut short so they wont peck the chicken jammed next to them. Free range obviously is a good answer to the problem.

• Me says:

I rescue chickens from the egg farms. Have seen the so called free range set up and it is just as disgusting as the others just no cages and the door is open but still millions of chickens in a big shed when it is 40 degrees outside and the beaks are still cut etc millions of roosters are still killed every year. I will admit that I do eat the eggs that my chickens produce sometimes just because they leave them around. Some go to the local birds and reptiles and some even go to my dogs. Why waste them. I would rather give these poor chickens and home which is free ranging where ever they want to go on my property for the rest of their lives than see them at these farms any longer than they have too. I don’t care if they produce eggs or not like the ducks I have taken in as well.

• Doug says:

“Curious on how you then justify Boca and Morning Star that use eggs in their products.” Who is “you”? No moral vegan and certainly not PETA would justify eating nonvegan products. These products would however be recommended for vegetarians. And they do have some vegan foods as well. It took me a long time to wean myself from Boca and Morningstar Farms nonvegan offerings in my transition to a vegan dieta transition incidentally that took roughly twice as long as going from a meateater to a vegetarian. But there are enough vegan offerings out there to provide taste and varietyeven for cookingchallenged bachelors….

• Chaske says:

Even though I’m a Vegan I agree the problem is not eggsalthough in excess it’s a good way to look forward to triple bypass but the way that they are farmed. A friend of mine eats eggs from Chickens that he takes extremely good care of moreso than most pet owners. While I won’t ever eat them again it would be great if more people had this sort of respect for the way they gather their food. P.S. Ironically Soylent Green was Tofu dyed green. D

• Caboose says:

Egg Tofu What’s wrong with eggs? I’m fully aware of factory farming. Why not encourage Free Range farming instead of taking the easy way out? Easy way banning produce. Smarter way RATATATATA.

• Michele says:

I am sure that most sensible people who read this blog and who really take the time to think about this issue will realize that the chickens do indeed have to endure misery and pain. Just because the chickens cannot “tell” us about it in our language does not mean it is not true. For instance an infant cannot yet speak in a human language but anyone with some sense of compassion “knows” when a baby is in pain or has been neglected and left in terrible conditions. The concept of “cagefree” chickens is as several bloggers have pointed out here a complete joke. The egg industry whose only interest is in making $$$ has come up with a way of marketing their eggs so that people will think these chickens were treated humanely. Well they ARE NOT! Cage free does not mean they are wandering around a large yard with dirt to clean up their feathers eating when they feel like it and dropping eggs when they want. They are still fed growth hormones they are still inside massive sheds and are still crammed in by the thousands. Oh and other animals do not abuse chickens Abuse is “harm by commission” and is a deliberate attempt to injure. Dogs wolves and weasels are not just wandering around looking for a nice fat chicken to smack around for fun. Any nonhuman animal that eats which does not mean ABUSES another nonhuman is doing so out of survival and instinct. Humans absolutely have the ability to survive without eating any animals or animal byproducts and anyone who says otherwise is ignorant.

• Mars says:

“which just happens to have blood arteriesveins muscles nerves and tendons. ” And tasty ones at that!

• Steph says:

Hmm. Because there’s no such thing as cagefree organic eggs right guys? And I’m sorry although I use tofu cutlets regularly when I cook I still enjoy eggs and that picture of that tofu scramble turns my stomach more than the idea of “chicken periods”. Enough with the buzz kill instead of trying to stop this festival all together why not encourage more responsible egg production cagefree or freefarmed etc. You can have your eggs and eat ‘em too.

• Jess says:

I eat free range egss I dont see anything wrong with it.

• Mars says:

• Ariel says:

“Dr. education” never fails at making stupid nonsensical comments with his typical juvenile deliquent mentaltiy. Only a numb brain would say that he expects ar’s activists to eat humans while he eats the body parts of dead animals. Oh wait “dr. education” says the animals are “harvested.” So I guess that classifies the dead animals’ bodies along the lines of fruits and vegetables which just happens to have blood arteriesveins muscles nerves and tendons.

• Chris says:

Okay…tofu? what about all those people with hidden soy allergies? those with egg allergies have that figured out..for the most part.. so quit trying to convert the world…not all your thoughts work for everyone.. and I for one…love my eggs! oh yeah…and eat tofu too…but want everyone to be able to make life decisions for themselves…geez!

• samantha says:

yeah eggs are chicken period…its just like in humans when a females egg isnt fertilized it passes out of her body along with the lining of the uterus since there is no baby to nourish…so when female chickens are separated from males none of the eggs are fertilized so the chicken passes out unfertilized eggs. its an egg just like in women. eggs come out of chicken vagina! grosss!

• rojo says:

Free range eggs are freely available in Australia the consumer has the choice. Why not keep a few chooks as pets instead of a dog or cat. Guilt free eggs.

• Ray-O says:

Eggs may be chicken periods but at least it only sounds disgusting. It does not taste disgusting. Besides quite a bit of mammals hunt eggs so you don’t have to be sorry to abuse the chicken. Other animals abuse chickens too.

• Mars says:

Yep cannibalism is not illegal as such but there is the Donner Party and Dahmer to dispute that cannibalisn does occur in the U.S.. You can get Kuru from eating the brains of any animal not just humans. Posted by Ana ” I always think of the misery and pain the poor chickens had endured and it makes me sad.” What misery and pain endured by chickens?Just because something looks uncomfortable to you does not mean it is to them.

• Alexis says:

Unless an egg is fertilized it doesn’t even have a chance of being a chicken.

• Canaduck says:

Free range is unfortunately a jokefree range chickens die early when they are no longer useful have their beaks trimmed and usually don’t even live outside. Also the males are useless just as in “conventional” eggs and are killed. Google “free range myth” to see what I mean.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Christopher Sorry do disappoint you but we don’t eat peopledon’t want to develop kuru. “The only man convicted of cannibalism in the United States was one Alfred Packer who ate his four comrades when they were lost in the mountains.”

• Carla says:

Yes you’re right chickens lay eggs naturally but we don’t have to eat them! Gone are the times of the free range hens. Thats why it’s sad to hear people eating their eggs when they know full well of the misery behide it.

• Jaclyn says:

Christopher Who is the good luck for? Who in Louisiana?

• Christopher Cochran MD says:

Calling eggs chicken periods makes about as much sense as calling almonds aborted fruit fetuses. I wish more people had more access to free range eggs as they are very nutritious. I am waiting for you guys to start calling all these faux foods soylent blue or red or even green. I expect some of you would rather eat people than other animals by what I gather by reading some of the posts on this blog. Good luck in your endeavors in Louisiana though.

• Ana says:

I love tofu scrambleso delicious! I cannot remember the last time I ate an egg but I do remember that my stomach did not appreciate my ingestion of them. Yuk! Poor chickens…5000 eggs all equal misery. On Halloween nasty kids throw eggs at people and buildings I always think of the misery and pain the poor chickens had endured and it makes me sad.

• Jaclyn says:

Ok I don’t eat eggs but really… Are eggs chicken periods??? It sounds disgusting but I don’t get it.