Pam Anderson Goes Down Under

Written by PETA | July 10, 2008

Pamela Anderson Visits a KFC in Australia
Pamela_Anderson_Boycotts_KFC_1.jpg

OK, how predictable was that title? Here’s something else that’s predictable (in a good way this time): Devoted PETA supporter Pamela Anderson has taken yet another opportunity to speak up for animals.

The walking fantasy with a heart of gold is in Australia for the filming of the reality show Big Brother. Earlier today, Pam hand-delivered a copy of her letter to Albert Baladi, managing director of KFC’s parent company in Australia, to speechless-but-drooling staff at a local KFC. She also gave the manager a copy of her explicit video—no, not that video…the other startling exposé (narrated by Pam), which reveals that KFC suppliers scald chickens to death in defeathering tanks and use other outdated and cruel gathering and slaughter methods.

In her letter, Pam writes:

I’ve been in Australia filming Big Brother, in which my housemates and I are confined and sealed off from the outside world, much like the chickens who are crammed inside barns for KFC. Fortunately, I won’t be stomped to death, have my legs broken or be scalded to death in a tank of hot water—yet, as PETA’s undercover videos have revealed, the chickens raised for KFC’s restaurants in Australia often suffer these abuses.

Pam urges Baladi to adopt the same animal welfare standards now applied to chickens killed for KFCs in Canada, which are a result of PETA’s campaign and will substantially improve the living and dying conditions of chickens.

And a little eye candy for your day: pictures of Pam in action!

Pamela_Anderson_KFC_2.jpg

The Scene In Gold Coast
KFC_Australia.jpg

Posted by Grace Friedan

Comments

• Jennifer Young says:

Thanks Pam for being the voice of these silent victims. Im a huge animal lover and would love to do what you do. I just don’t know what I could do to get my foot in the door. I wanna help all thes beautiful creatures have goodfair lives. I hate animal abusers of any kind…Michael Vick is one man that should have got life for such the cruel acts he did. If he could do this to beautiful puppies… what could he do to humans. Thats how most serial killers begin. Keep fighting for them girl. Much love and respect.

• meaga smart says:

Pam I was lucky enough to share a segment with u on the footy show in sydney and it was such a huge moment for me you are truley beautiful inside and out thank u for all u do and i appologise on behalf of all those loosers that dont understand who u really are! by the way love ur new show! xx

• lynda downie says:

Thanks Pamela once again.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Intent or no the industry is still responsible for the outcome. Adopting CAK would certainly help. If you read “Slaughterhouse” by Gail Eisnitz you’ll get a very good overview of the cruelty involved as related by the workers themselves.

• Mike Quinoa says:

L. M. Intent or not it happens and with very horrific results. CAK of course would ameliorate that aspect. If you don’t trust videos read Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz. The info there comes straight out of slaughterhouse workers’ mouths.

• L.M. says:

Nicole I know quite a bit about the slaughter of chickens. I’m an animal science major and have taken classes dealing specifically with the slaughter of animals. Also I am not convinced that PETA videos are accurate. Mike While this is true it is not the intent of the industry.

• Sondra says:

Yay for Pam! She is a smart and passionate person! She is a role model for women!

• Larissa says:

You Guy’s Really are soo not informed Does Any 1 relise that KFC sources there chickens from the same companies that you buy from the supermarket. May be you guys have the wrong target if you are really concrened for the chickens why are you not going afer the chickens companies.

• carol says:

I admire Pam for the good shes doing for animals I used to think all beauty oueen celebs were all selfish like sharo Stone heart how could she wear those furs after seeing those videos of animals being skinned alive for it B ut Pam shows me what agreat heart a beauty oueen can also have as they say beauty on inside as well Im now a fan of Pams

• S.Q. says:

Silvie of Australia It is one thing to defend your cause it is another to ignore facts against you. Pamela Anderson is not perfect. Calling people names is not productive. That isn’t even part of the cause. That is just rudeness. Anderson found a cause she is passionate about good for her. But feeling you have the power to say whatever you want is not part of the equation. She cannot abuse her power.

• Tabitha says:

What’s a whinger?

• sandra says:

way to go Pam. u are the best to stop chicken abuse. i agree with u 1000. i can’t believe that people are stupid personal abuse an animal. i feel bad that chicken broke his leghead and etc. that’s painful.. better against that KFC CO what they did abuse a chicken. that’s sad. i hope everything ok with their chicken. I pray they stop abuse a chicken

• Gary says:

I think what Pamela Anderson did last week was very very acceptable. Well done.

• Yosleny Gonzalez says:

I’m so happy there are people that care about this subject everyone always tries to make me feel so stupid for standing up for animals. GO PAM!!!!

• Sue says:

Pam seems like an okay person and its good that she is doing something worthwhile. She shouldn’t have accepted the money to do Big Brother as the sponsor is KFC.

• J-DUB says:

pammy is da best seriously dis is such a good thing she is doing!! lyk wtf ? YOU PPL ARE EATING TORCHED CHICKENZ! kfc is badddd i use 2 lyk it but now ? itz just put me off meat.

• Silvie of Australia says:

Wow I can’t believe how many people have made this personal. Awful comments about Pamelas appearance bringing Jessica Simpson into the argument. Can’t you stick to the topic at hand? Pamela is an animal rights supporter and that should be acknowledged and admired. To the whingers. What do YOU people do in your spare time?? Watch the footy with a few mates eating greasy chicken or cheap pizzas while piling on the kilos? Maybe you THE WHINGERS THAT IS should find a cause that YOU feel passionate about and then see how you go fending off all the criticism. Pam is a very intelligent lady because I doubt your nasty words hurt her at all it just brings more attention to her cause!!! Thanks whingers!

• Judith says:

Pamela is an Angel for the animals. She is FEARLESS. Keep fighting the good fight beautiful lady! Peace for all animals!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Kurt Yeah I would agree. I think personal attacks are counterproductive.

• Kurt K says:

Don’t get me wrong Mike I don’t think she is ugly by any means on the outside. But for a Ms. Anderson to call Jessica S a bitch and a whore because of a tshirt and different views I would hardly call her a role model or a beautiful person! Wouldn’t you agree?

• Mike Quinoa says:

Kurt I think we all have skeletons in the closet. I admire Pam for what she does for animals. Other aspects of her life are really none of my businessit’s her life. While you can’t forever be beautiful on the outside you can on the inside though Pam is far from washed up externally. You have to admire the good facets of a person and try to incorporate them into your own personality. In other words be a role model to yourself.

• Carla says:

Way to go Pam!! We all appreciate and have lots of love for you! Keep your head high!! xoxo

• brandie r. says:

It’s nice to see a celeb use their powers for good and not evil. It’s nice to see someone famous actually care about something besides themselves how many cars they can buy their million dollar homes and what outfit they will wear once and toss out with tomorrows trash. Good for Pamela.

• Cathie says:

Interesting how PETA condemns Jessica Simpson for wearing that “Real Girls Eat Meat” tshirt with snarky comments about her career but praise Pamela Anderson to the heavens…she may do a bunch for the animals and bless her for that but it seems like you guys never miss a chance to put someone down who doesn’t agree with everything you believe in. I thought PETA was about educating the public…come on fellas take the high road.

• nicole says:

L.M. what do you know about the slaughter of chickens? have you watched the peta videos??? some people just can’t deal with there own conscience and tell themselves thnigs so that they can continue to eat cruelty!!!! watch the videos and do the research.

• Jake says:

Although I am a huge pamela anderson fan I dont really agree with her on the KFC abuse thingy mabob. Sure most places do it but i’m sure there are humane ways to do the whole chicken cooking thing. Anyway Keep up the good work Pam!

• Down Under says:

WOW! I want to go Down Under with Pam!

• Claire says:

Dont you people know that KFC Australia source their chicken from a reputable free range chicken farm? This company distributes chicken all over Australia NOT just to KFC. Dont get me wrong i’ve been a vegetarian for 12 years and believe eating meat isn’t necessary but PETA you are often misinformed. Australia has a huge stance on animal cruelty and comparing Australian laws to USA’s is a huge insult I think you ALL need to do your research.

• Madison says:

Yay I live In Aussie And was wondering if someone was going to raise their voice before I did here Good on Ya People like Pam Spend their LIFE making OTHER lives better And for all those who don’t believe me Imagine You had hopes dreams and feelings but knew you where going to end up in someones food Not a very good feeling ay? Kick Out KFC

• Kurt K says:

Mike maybe five years ago! Pam is way past her prime as far as a “sex kitten” goes. I’m not saying I would kick her out of bed for eating crackers but she has definitely seen better days! I lost all respect for Pam a couple years ago not because she is a PETA supporter but because she get married an divorced like it is a big joke! Not a very good role model if you ask me.

• Peter Pein says:

Hi I’m from Australia. What would be really great is if she publicly donated a proportion of her KFC sponsored BB appearance money to PETA so they can further fight KFC the KFC execs would feel like twits. People are criticizing “what was she thinking?” well the real question is “what hell were KFC thinking”??!!

• Mike Quinoa says:

L.M. said “The chickens are already dead before they put them in the scalding water to remove their feathers…so they are not scalded to DEATH..” Not quite. If they lift their heads and miss the stunning bath and automated throat slitting they are in fact scalded to death. They are then called “red birds” in the industry because of their bright red and highly macabre color.

• dexter87 says:

i think what is bieng done by pam is extremly noble. i have worked for a large well known autralian company that supplies chicken to kfc and have first hand seen the stats on how the chickens are handled. on one particular day 30 of the chickens died in transport before even reaching us 26 had to be put down and “unused” due to dehydration from transportation 14 had to be put down and “unused” due to injuries sustained during transportation and then atleast another 12 were deemed unfit due to size! how can someone tell us that anywhere up to 82 of the animals being slaughtered for “NO REASON” is humane????!!! why cant these animals be left alone?? i will say that i am not a vegetarian by any means but when you see some of the stuff that goes on it is disgusting. it is about time that more people started standing up and doing more for the cause and bringing it to more of an international audience! i am begind you pam 100!

• yf says:

it’s all about spreading the message.. and Pam is doing exactly that.. she is a true dedicated trooper of an animal advocate.. !! go GO Pam!

• L. M. says:

The chickens are already dead before they put them in the scalding water to remove their feathers.. so they are not scalded to DEATH.

• John Carmody says:

Pam WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank YOU so much for speaking up for animals. Ireland LOVES you!!!!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Way to go Pamyou are the best. Kurt K A little fantasy of yours?

• daniela says:

Hi Pam I’d like to know what your Birkin Hermes bag is made of … thanks.

• Roxanne says:

I have high regard for Pam Anderson now. She show those superficial people that you don’t need to be really superficial to be a sex kitten.

• Kurt K says:

Yeah right little Pam couldn’t carry Jessica’s bra! I would bet on Jessica if they fought!

• Niranjan says:

I’m an all time PETA supporter activist all the way from India. of course a big fan of Pam. It’s so stupid the media is calling Pam a hypocrite for participating in Big B. sponsored by KFC. This doesn’t make any sense! Big B. is a separate show organized by someone else no way it is related to their sponsors. Anyway who cares when supporters like me are there for Anderson. Pam always ROCKS for animals! my hugs to PETA. BTW when is PETA opening it’s office in Australia????

• Matthew says:

Hey Pam I am an Australian living in Canada I am also a Chef and from time to time its is quick and easy for me to get fast food such as KFC on the way home from work. I have heard rumers over the years about this cruilety to the chicking but you have now made it clear for me that it is true. I want to thank you for doing this and i will not be eating KFC again unless they chang there ways. Cheers

• KATluvsPETA says:

PAM ROCKS!….and she will totally kick jessica simpsons ass ANYDAY!!!…thanks for all you do!

• Silvie of Australia says:

Pam you are truly an angel. Thank you for bringing attention to this awful practice and for heightening the importance of caring for every living thing small tall short feathered fluffy or crawly. You are a glimmer of hope amidst the billions of animals in this world. Thank you!

• AusVeg says:

Go pam! I’m so sick of the media here painting her like a hypocrite just because KFC is a sponsor of Big Brother. In the Sydney Morning Herald she said specifically she had no idea KFC was a sponsor then MX a free newspaper at train stations in Sydney mixed it around and made it sound like she said she did’nt care that KFc was a sponsor because the money “was too good”. Thats a fake quote or misconstrued at least! Finally someone is saying something in Aus! I’ve been trying to get the message out there myself but it’s about time that we got some publicity here!

• SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION says:

Pam is the best! I admire her steadyness and courage once more without her this world would be much poorer! It’s people like her who give a sence to life and courage to others to live it!