Oscar Mayer Jingle Writer Dies

Written by PETA | August 3, 2007

Jerry Ringlien, who created the disturbing “My bologna has a first name” campaign for Oscar Mayer in the ‘70s, died yesterday of a heart attack in North Carolina. As someone who works in a Marketing Department, I certainly have a lot of respect for people who can craft the kind of iconic ad campaign that Ringlien created, but it’s so tragic to me when such obvious talents are used in the service of promoting something like the pig industry—which crams animals into metal crates and kills hundreds of millions of them a year in the most gruesome ways imaginable—rather than something less hateful, or (God forbid) even helpful.

If you’re someone who can make a product that’s made from stomach, snout, intestines, spleen, and lips and that is known to increase the risk of cancer and (yes) heart attacks seem like a fun lunchbox item for kids across America, you can clearly sell any idea to anyone. I only wish that Mr. Ringlien had used his creativity to help animals instead of hurting them.

PETA’s pig gives her side of the story outside the infamous “Weinermobile,” which Ringlien helped to revive
Weinermobile.jpg

Comments

• Susan says:

LOL. I wonder how long it took ‘Adam Van Almsick’ to type that angry rambling nonsensical diatribe. Moron.

• hairygorillaass says:

He did his work in a different time and place. There’s no way people can know the impact of these things in the future.

• Adam Van Almsick says:

I was looking over a menu in a restaurant the other day when I saw a section for vegetarians I thought to myself “boy I sure am glad that I’m not a meathating fascist” and I skipped on to the steak section because I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay $15 for an alfalfa sandwich slice of cucumber and a scoop of cold cottage cheese but before I turned the page something caught my eye. The heading of the vegetarian section was titled “Guiltless Grill” not because there were menu items with fewer calories and cholesterol since there were “healthy” chicken dishes discriminated against in this section but because none of the items used animal products. Think about that phrase for a second. What exactly does “guiltless grill” imply? So I’m supposed to feel guilty now if I eat meat? Screw you. What pisses me off so much about this phrase is the sheer narrowmindedness of these stuck up vegetarian assholes. You think you’re saving the world by eating a tofuburger and sticking to a diet of grains and berries? Well here’s something that not many vegetarians know or care to acknowledge every year millions of animals are killed by wheat and soy bean combines during harvesting season source. Oh yeah go on and on for hours about how all of us meat eaters are going to hell for having a steak but conveniently ignore the fact that each year millions of mice rabbits snakes skunks possums squirrels gophers and rats are ruthlessly murdered as a direct result of YOUR dieting habits. What’s that? I’m sorry I don’t hear any more elitist banter from you pompous cocks. Could it be because your shit has been RUINED? That’s right the gloves have come off. The vegetarian response to this embarrassing fact is “well at least we’re not killing intentionally.” So let me get this straight not only are animals ruthlessly being murdered as a direct result of your diet but you’re not even using the meat of the animals YOU kill? At least we’re eating the animals we kill and although we also contribute to the slaughter of animals during grain harvesting keep in mind that we’re not the ones with a moral qualm about it not just leaving them to rot in a field somewhere. That makes you just as morally repugnant than any meateater any day. Not only that but you’re killing freeroaming animals not animals that were raised for feed. Their bodies get mangled in the combine’s machinery bones crushed and you have the audacity to point fingers at the meat industry for humanely punching a spike through a cow’s neck? If you think that tofu burgers come at no cost to animals or the environment guess again. To even suggest that your meal is some how “guiltless” is absurd. The defense “at least we’re not killing intentionally” is bullshit anyway. How is it not intentional if you KNOW that millions of animals die every year in combines during harvest? You expect me to believe that you somehow unintentionally pay money to buy products that support farmers that use combines to harvest their fields? Even if it was somehow unintentional so what? That suddenly makes you innocent? I guess we should let drunk drivers off the hook too since they don’t kill intentionally either right? There’s no way out of this one. The only option left for you dipshits is to buy some land plant and pick your own crops. Impractical? Yeah well so is your stupid diet. Even if combines aren’t used to harvest your food you think that buying fruits and vegetables organic or otherwise is any better? How do you think they get rid of bugs that eat crops in large fields? You think they just put up signs and ask parasites to politely go somewhere else? Actually I wouldn’t put that suggestion past you hippies. One of the methods they use to get rid of pests is to introduce a high level of predators for each particular prey which wreaks all sorts of havoc on the natural balance of predatorprey populationscausing who knows what kind of damage to the environment. Oops did I just expose you moralelitists for being frauds? Damndest thing. A number of people have pointed out that the amount of grain grown to feed animals for slaughter every year is greater than the amount of grain grown for humans. So I guess the amount of grain grown for human consumption suddenly becomes negligible and we can conveniently ignore the fact that animals are still ruthlessly murdered either way because of your diet right? Not to mention that the majority of grain grown for livestock is tough as rocks coarse and so lowgrade that it’s only fit for animal consumption in the first place. Spare me the “you could feed 500 people with the grain used to feed one cow” line of shit it’s not the same grain. Then there are the people who jump on the bandwagon with “you could plant billions of potatoes on the land used for cows”good point except for the fact that not every plot of land is equally fertile you think farmers always have a choice on what they do with their land? Also many vegetarians don’t know or care to acknowledge that in many parts of the United States they have “control hunts” in which hunting permits are passed out whenever there is a pest problem the pest here is deer elk and antelope that threatens wheat soy vegetable and other crops this happens several times per year. Then some of you throw out claims that “we are trying to limit the suffering.” How about you limit MY suffering and shut the hell up about your stupid diet for a change nobody cares. Even if the number of animals that die in combine deaths every year isn’t in the millions even if it’s just one are you suggesting that the life of one baby rabbit isn’t worth saving? Are you placing a value on life? Enjoy your tofu murderers. PETA stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Let’s ignore for a moment that their name implies there exists a universal set of ethics PETA is “primarily concerned with preventing the suffering of living animals.” Oh really? As opposed to preventing the suffering of dead animals? Good thing they clarified because I was confused and couldn’t infer that when they said “animals” they didn’t mean dead animals. Glad we have that cleared up let’s move on. So what exactly constitutes as “prevention” of animal suffering? The moral vegetarians not the ones who do it for religious or health reasons love to chant “we’re trying to limit the suffering.” What the hell does that mean? If you eat wheat or soy you’re not limiting anything. Unless you plant grow and pick your own crops you’re not doing everything you can to “limit” the suffering. You know deep down that you could help limit a whole lot more suffering but you’ve chosen not to. You’ve chosen not to because your lifestyle is too convenient and you’d have to give up too much but nevermind thatyou have a conscience to feel good about and you can’t let a little thing like millions of violent deaths of field animals get in the way of your moral trip. Limit the suffering? That’s like me saying I’m going to eat meat only 364 out of 365 days of the year in an effort to “limit” the suffering I’m doing my part to prevent suffering. “BUT YOU COULD LIMIT A LOT MORE SUFFERING BY NOT EATING MEAT AT ALL!!!1″ Exactly and vegetarians could limit a lot more suffering by planting their own crops but where do you draw the line? You claim to have compassion for animals but just as soon as it gets too inconvenient you decide to call it quits? Cowards. You’re no better off not in my book. A murderer who kills 10 people is no better off than a murderer who kills 20 if the murder is avoidable. Of course from the perspective of a suggestible young vegetarian I’m sure being responsible for half as many murders as the next guy means you’re off the hook right? I keep getting email from moral vegetarians saying “HEY IF WE FEED MORE GRAIN TO ANIMALS AND IF YOU EAT THE ANIMALS YOU ARE KILLING TWICE AS MUCH.” No shit? All you dumbass activists need to get bent already. Fun with facts vegetarians love to boast outrageous figures like “it takes 5000 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef and only 20 gallons to produce one pound of wheat.” I’ve heard figures ranging from 2000 to 5000 and vegetarians will be damned if they include a source so we’ll take the mean that means “average” and go with 3500. The average person consumes 1.5 million gallons of water every year it takes water to grow and produce the food you eat in addition to the water you drink quit emailing me you morons. Why isn’t PETA protesting overpopulation of humans on the street corners? Why isn’t PETA passing out free condoms or throwing javelins in your cock when you walk down the street if they really cared about water consumption? It’s not like that water just suddenly disappears. The earth has had about the same amount of water for 2 billion years. So if a pound of beef takes 3500 gallons of water what difference does it make? How many vegetarians drive a car? To make a car including tires it takes about 40000 gallons of fresh water. That’s not including the gas it takes to run the car the electricity to run the gas station the water used to create the boat that brought your precious oil the water used to create the pavement you drive on the destruction of toxic chemicals that went into creating your clothes and the electricity you use every day to send me stupid emails over the internet. Every year you are directly responsible for the consumption of billions of gallons of water. There are 26 million people suffering preventable brain damage from iodine deficiency and another 1.5 billion people at risk. Nevermind that you have animals to save. By driving your cars you pump billions of tons of poison into the atmosphere and you’re slowly killing us all. The computer you use requires 250 watts of electricity let alone the billions of computers required to keep you on the internet. All consuming energy. All contributing to pollution. Let’s just ignore those minor hypocrisies. Someone wants to enjoy a burger and you’ll be damned if you’re going to let them. What makes you think that animals suffer in slaughter houses anyway? I think it would rule to be raised for slaughter. Get all the free steroids you want free meals and plenty of good companyhell you have it made. Then when you’re at the prime of your life you get your head generously chopped off so you don’t have to live through the suffering of old age. Not only that but you can die with the satisfaction of knowing that somebody is going to enjoy eating a burger made out of you. What’s more humane? Being slaughtered for meat or having to spend 8 hours a day 40 hours per week in a cubicle for the rest of your life with assholes who listen to shitty music without headphones then retiring and withering away with old age and cancer as your obnoxious kids grow up and treat you like shit? Slaughter please.

• Craig5 says:

I know this is an older post but I’m satrting to read up on the vegetarian diet and it just makes no sense it’s ok to eat fish? Okay is it any less alive than a cow. And all these PETA people make a big deal out of how animals are tortured when they are killed for food. Not so they have no interest in torturing an animal and making a huge mess for themselves one quick shot to the brain and they are toast or well technicallt steak And another thing the whole reason i posted on this thread why is the accidental killing of animals by harvesting equipment ok? Well it’s for the greater good? And for PETA to start talking about if we eat less meat there would be less grain needed and therefore less accidental killing of animals is absurd now your willing to talk about acceptable animal death figures?

• Rory says:

that’s REALLY amazing michele. your actions are much more convincing than theories of cowardliness.

• M F Power says:

It’s spelled “Meyer” moron! Go Vick!!!

• someone says:

longcut is righ on besides pets eat meat and bologna is a good way to cut back on meat wastage if the animal is killed it might as well be fully used.

• Michele says:

Rory my “namecalling” was in response to Razor’s “Vegan is for pussies… go carnivore now!!!” comment above. I do not criticize everyone who eats meat though I cannot understand how enlightened people can continue to consume dead animals when it is absolutely unnecessary but take offense to someone who simply throws out insults with no basis and Razor in particular seems like a person who is incapable of compassion. That is why I responded to him in particular. As for not “personally” saving 100 lives per year well you are right about that but I do not think the distinction is that important. As for protecting animals I took in a lopeared rabbit sight unseen because she was making her owner’s bird afraid and the owner was more attached to the bird than the rabbit. When she brought the rabbit to my house she left without even saying goodbye to the little bunny. When I sent that person pictures a couple of months later she did not even acknowledge them even though we work in the same building. Though it was not a dramatic rescue I do consider my rabbit to have been “saved” based on her previous owner’s behaviour clearly this rabbit did not really mean very much to her previous owner and could have been neglected if that person had kept her. Also regarding the protection of animals I have organized a KFC demonstration participated in another one and also participated in a Shrine circus protest. I have sent countless letters to companies politicians and other individuals regarding such things as animal testing Ocean Spray Coca Cola ColgatePalmolive Procter and Gamble etc the seal hunt fur used for clothing and using animals inappropriately in advertising. I have a little section in my work cubicle with leaflets and magazines on the whole range of animal rights issues and I have bumper stickers on my car including the one advising people to boycott Iams due to cruel animal testing. I personally met with the Executive Director at my workplace to successfully convince her to stop providing free circus tickets to our clients I work in the child protection field. I have written letters to the editor regarding foie gras and vegetarianism and I have two friends who have gone vegetarian based in part on the information I have shared with them regarding animal cruelty. I regularly bring vegan meals to family or other social gatherings to show people that yes I actually get to eat food as a vegan. So while I have not personally met any of the animals related to these activities surely I have spared the lives of many animals directly or indirectly. Clearly I have done more than just change my diet. Not everyone has the time or ability to get so involved in animal rights however people can do things that take just a few minutes such as using PETA’s action alert pages to send a quick email off to a particular company or individual. Or they can just start talking about animal rights issues with their friends and coworkers. I have found that once people start to get involved even in a small way they usually spend increasingly more time on animal rights activities once they start learning about the horrific things that people do to animals. That’s great that you personally saved two animals hopefully you can begin to make kinder choices in all aspects of your life.

• Rory says:

I have a kitten who I named Phoebe after a character from a novel who meant a lot to me. The name symbolizes the importance of this animal’s life to me. I don’t know you or claim to know you but can assume that you didn’t sneak into a meat processing plant and personally rescue 100 pigs cows chickens fish goats turkeys or etc. I’m not attacking you nor do I make this comment out of “guilt.” In fact the only pets I have are ones that needed a home and were at risk of death. Now I am not vegan and not a member of PETA. I eat meat and have pets which some PETA members see as immoral because it involves keeping animals confined to your house perhaps against their will and for your own personal gain however I KNOW that I have saved the lives of two wonderful animals. you DID stop yourself from devouring the bodies of one hundred animals and that is morally praisable brilliant and requires quite some ethics and integrity. however you did not SAVE any of their lives. p.s. it’s not all that persuasive to begin your debates with namecalling. that’s very offensive to me as I eat meat and don’t consider myself a coward. I considered being vegetarian for HEALTH reasons. Protecting animals takes more than a change in diet.

• Michele says:

Razor what are you so afraid of? I think you are the coward for not even considering going vegetarian. I am very proud of the fact that I save almost 100 animals per year just by being vegan and now my 10 year old son is doing the same. I have never been able to understand why some people have to criticize those who just want to help animals. My theory is that these people feel guilty deep down but they are not strong enough to actually do anything about it so they attack others to try to feel better about themselves.

• Ana says:

Razor Pussycats cannot go vegan. But people with integrity and moral courage go vegan. Only the morally bankrupt like you enjoy eating the cadavers of tortured and murdered animals. Vegans know their bodies are not graves.

• Jason Levy says:

Geoff well put!

• Razor says:

Vegan is for pussies… go carnivore now!!!

• longcut says:

A gentleman died. Maybe this is one of those news stories that we shouldn’t try to make a point with. He had a wife children and grandchildren. Although he was responsible for things that everyone might not be in line with he also did condiderable work for the Unitedway. I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way if you did not like the man or care what he did then maybe you can silently celebrate his death

• Geoff says:

Keir 1. There are more than 26 billion animals a year killed for meat. They are tortured for years before they die. The number of animals killed and the extent of their suffering is so much greater than your combine harvester tragedies that it’s laughable even to compare them. 2. The vast majority of grain grown in the United States and Europe is used to feed animals being raised for meat. So the best way to cut down on these combine harvester accidents that are clearly keeping you up at night would be to end factory farming. 3. Stop making excuses and go vegetarian.

• Keir says:

I thought all the animals living in the fields that combine harvesters go through die in the most gruesome way possible? Get off your high horses.

• Brianna Fritchey says:

Such talent wasted…

• lucas baird says:

this ad is reminding me the death of a famous animal torturer ingmar bergman! for his film the ‘snake’s egg’ he killed a horse and david carradine directly walked off the set!

• latino says:

This one surely didn’t help animals to survive!

• Mark says:

Your bologna has a first name Babe Piglet Wilbur etc.