Oh, Pie! Canada’s Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Gets Creamed

Written by PETA | January 25, 2010

Gail Shea, Canada’s minister of fisheries and oceans, was greeted with a face full of pie as she arrived at the Canada Centre for Inland Waters today. It seems that one activist had had enough of Ms. Shea’s yammering in support of the seal slaughter and decided to fill the minister’s pie hole with something a tad more palatable.

Gail Shea Pied

Since her election to the House of Commons in 2008, Ms. Shea’s name has been synonymous with support for the seal slaughter. After the European Union made the humane decision to ban the sale of seal products, she responded by supporting the absurd proposal that the Canadian Olympic team wear seal skins as part of their official uniforms, saying, “I think it would be a good statement for the Canadian sealing industry and Canada’s support of it.”

The thing is, no matter how adamantly Shea claims that “[t]he Canadian seal hunt is guided by rigorous animal welfare principles,” the majority of Canadians don’t buy it—and they don’t support the bashing in of baby seals’ skulls.

So come on, Gail, wipe that soy whipped cream from your face and show the world that you’re actually willing to taste listen to what your fellow citizens are dishing out saying.

Written by Shawna Flavell

Comments

• Kim says:

Such childish behaviour. I am proud to be a Canadian and you would think in this day and age that hungry children would be a far better thing to lobby for. You people are disgusting.

• Marco says:

do you think she is anti U.S. Navy SEALS

• jane says:

She’s lucky it wasn’t a brick.

• Navy S.E.A.L. says:

Ha ha ha! Funny! I love it!

• Mario says:

LOL The Lady should have Learned how to duck. Obviously shes NOOOO Ann Coulter.

• Linda says:

I personally felt the pie in the face was a vast improvement.Well done!I have watched it several times and it becomes funnier and funnier. Gail what goes around comes around and it appears you got yours!

• candice says:

It doesn’t say that PETA did it it says ‘an activist’ anyway where do I get soy whipped cream?

• mike says:

Violence of any kind is wrong. Including pies. Alisha did you not mean “desserts”? Please learn to spell before you feel compelled to comment.

• Bethany says:

Proud of her for doing this! While some may say its not good for the cause it will cause more people to look into what is going on when they see this in the news which will cause more people to get involved in stopping the massacre. And what is a little pie in the face? Big deal. It comes off with water. I think she got less than what she deserved but enough to get the message across.

• susan says:

The sad thing is that judging by the size of her she probably enjoyed the pie.

• brian macleod says:

Wow what an organization? what about all the people in the world who do not food. Shame on you!

• moo.lennon. says:

haha!just what a stupid bch like her deserves..u know…im angry now..i wish i could see someone like that and throw them something at their face too!bwahaha!poor baby seals.

• Jennifer McKoy says:

I was so glad to see her get a pie in the face but at the same time watching that news clip really saddened me because I cannot believe that in Canada it’s ok to hunt seals. This is so terrible and makes me so angry! It’s sickening that there are people in the world who just don’t have souls and have no respect for animals’ lives.

• Brian Whiting says:

I was having a bad day at work and this turned my day around. I cant stop watching it! Hahahahahaha!!!

• Namzy says:

Amber says this lady is lucky she didn’t get a club in the face. Presumably this is because she is complicit in the murder of seals? Do the seals deserve a club in the face for the murder of several “sea kittens” per day?

• PAUL MIDGHALL says:

Is Canada a democracy? Stop the seal hunt 75 of Canadians are opposed. A pie for Gail is a message to those in power. Listen to the people who put you in power!.

• christina says:

How dare you assault someone like that and then brag about it? I don’t agree with slaughtering of baby seals and am vegan myself but I hope you realize that far more people would listen to your message if you stopped being so extreme and STOPPED BEING SO SEXIST IN YOUR BILLBOARDS AND PRINT ADS!!!!!! Two wrongs don’t make a right.

• jade says:

Kelly wrote Stunts like this are the reason why peta has so much influence and is so widely listened to and followed. Most people like peta and do what peta says because things like this persuade almost everyone. No Kelly this is why the general public sees PETA as a farce and a laughing stock. They follow to see what stupid stunt PETA does next and I do mean PETA as the group not what the acronym stands for. I have rarely seen this group actually have successful protests and for the most part they tend to just shrug their shoulders and go “This is a stupid PETA prank how does this help the animals?”

• Chris C. says:

HAHA!!!…I just saw this on the news…and they mentioned PETA… So I came here to see if you guys had a blog on it…and you did… It’s soo funny…. You guys are getting your message out!!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Ralph I still maintain the piethrower is brave and compassionate. She did what she did out of compassion. She also would be aware of the inevitable consequences of her actionsmost likely detainment and possible jail time. To carry out her actions in spite of these personal risks in my view is a mark of bravery. Lulu Nicely phrased comment. You took the words right out of my mouth though I couldn’t have said it as well.

• Klara says:

How can she be so ignorant! Seal slaughter isn’t accepted any longer in the world! The Canadian industry maybe has difficulties to sell the furs and for that reason her disgracing proposal to use it in the uniforms but that doesn’t make it better! Got a pie it was maybe obvious that something like “pie” happens after claiming to support seal slaughter. How can she still support it? Nobody wants your st bloody fur!

• Nick Wright says:

As a Canadian I deplore the Harper government but this is disgraceful behaviour regardless of the victim’s politics or position. It is a personal assault pure and simple. I don’t understand why supposedly intelligent people think it helps their cause to humiliate individuals. It seems however that Ms Shea handled the assault with poise and dignity. Good for her. As for her U.S.based attacker I suggest the Canadian government bring back the stocks for a few days so Canadians can give the attacker a “taste” of her own medicine before we throw her back across the borderpreferably tarred and feathered…o.k. o.k. molassesed and feathered we are Canadian after all. The basic point is that acting out your aggression while it may make you feel good for a few moments makes you look juvenile and immature which defeats your cause.

• Mike Quinoa says:

RNC It wasn’t the seals that wiped out the cod industry it was human greed. Seals actually helped keep squids who are voracious fisheaters in check. I don’t eat fish since I only like my mercury in a thermometer. “A lot of people rely on the seal hunt for income.” Hardly. Even in Newfoundland where more than 90 percent of the sealers live sealing income accounts for less than 1 percent of that province’s gross domestic product and only 2 percent of the landed value of Newfoundland’s fishery.

• lulu says:

Um…thanks for the headsup about chickens pigs cows etc. Obviously you haven’t spent much time at PETA’s web site. Why don’t you put down the crack pipe and check it out? You’ll see you’re not saying anything we don’t already know. Nice try.

• kelly says:

• Jenna says:

I think that was funny. but she deserves more than just a pie in the face lol

• gerard Tobin says:

You people relly need to get ALL the facts. Until then the USA and all these people supporting PETA will continue to have no problem with their own government supporting death squads in South America and other continents. USA supplied Iraq with chemical warfare in early 80′s but when it seemed to be in their own interests they used it as an excuse to invade. The murder of chickens pigs cows etc. is FAR more inhumane than seals…they just are not as cute. Get real

• RNC says:

A lot of people rely on the seal hunt for income and it also keeps the numbers down so that the fisheries can remain viable. I don’t agree with the manner in which the hunt is carried out but it is necessary.

• John says:

Gail Shea is a liar and a criminal. She belongs in JAIL.

• lulu says:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha! MADE MY DAY!

• Rad_Rosa89 says:

Go PETA!! You guys rock! You really stuck the pic in her face.. literally.

• Tim says:

This was hilarious. I love to see such a smug person get what they deserve.

• klarasun says:

The public pressure grows better realize it Ms. Shea. Ban the use of “seal products” get the fur out of your thoughts !!!

• ralph says:

“Bravo to the brave and compassionate pie thrower!” No this isn’t brave and compassionate it’s stupid and paints PETA in a bad light. There is a good way to show how much you care about animals but instead you choose to do something that makes people think “PETA acts like fools therefore PETA doesn’t know what they’re talking about.” There is a way to protest and make your point without resorting to these tactics. The reason your group isn’t seen as animal rights is because you stoop to these tactics. If you want to succeed start making a true difference for animals not this stuff.

• Nessa says:

haha nice! but i think she would deserve more…

• Joe Joe says:

You’re proud of this?

• Ms. Agape says:

She’s lucky. I’m sure a pie to the face is far less painful than a hakapik to the head!

• Robert says:

Use a lemon pie next time they sting the eyes more. For pie in the sky thinking that the seal hunt is humane deserves a pie in the face.

• Annette says:

The funny thing is this woman probably considers herself a victim and feels very sorry for herself. While i dont really condone acting out like this against someone you don’t agree with what we’re talking about here is actually MURDER the everyday systematic murder of living beings and well for anyone with a conscience it requires drastic measures.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Bravo to the brave and compassionate pie thrower! Gail Shea like a lot of pandering Canadian politicians lately needs something to stifle the inanities spewing from her mouth. Before the EU banned seal products an Environics poll found that 75 of Canadians were opposed to the federal governments use of tax dollars to send delegations to Europe to promote Canadas commercial seal hunt. I’m sure that holds true for her recent propagandizing junket to China as well. The rescue a few years ago by the Canadian Coast Guard of the icebound sealers in their nonice class woodenhull longliners set back the Canadian taxpayers at least $3.4 million. A lot of Canadians are miffed at that one too.

• E says:

I like this. Shame on this Minister. She should know better in her authoritative position.

• Katie says:

She’s lucky it was just a pie and not a club. What a sad pathetic ignorant woman.

• Amber says:

best video ever.

• Andrew says:

seriously whats the recipe for your pie?

• NT says:

I am a Canadian who wants the seal hunt to STOP but i’m not sure stunts like this will help our cause.

• Tiffany says:

Awesome video!!! Im glad she got a pie in her face! Heartless B1tch!

• Alisha says:

HAHA. Like I always say Everybody gets his or her just deserts D. It is only a pity that I wasn’t able to be there to laugh at her or to throw some piestoo.

• Autumn says:

The woman is vileshe is ignorant a murderer. Shes lucky it was only a pie.

• Aneliese says:

She deserved a pie to the face! Any kind of “hunt” cannot be humane.

• John Carmody says:

HaHa way to go PETA! This has truly made my day….to be honest i think she was well back at the end of the line when they were handing out good looks she’s horrific looking and looks like a man!