‘The Office’: Good Comedy for Us, Bad Publicity for Burlington

Written by PETA | December 5, 2008
tvgasm / CC
Michael Scott

Did you see last night’s episode of The Office? You may have guessed that my favorite part was at the end, when Michael, clad in his new fur coat, told us this valuable lesson: “You should know that some people think it’s cool to throw buckets of fake blood on you as you are walking out of Burlington Coat Factory.” Bwaha! That’s true—although flour does seem to be more popular these days.

Original Office star Ricky Gervais spoke out against fur, too, when he teamed up with PETA Europe in the worldwide fight to stop Canadian bears from getting slaughtered for silly hats.

All of you Office fans can breathe a sigh of relief—the coat they used to film the episode was (hooray!) faux. However, if Michael Scott were a real person, he very well could have marched into his nearest Burlington Coat Factory and bought himself a hideous dead skin. That’s right, for all of you who were wondering (and for all of you who called and e-mailed us to ask), “Burlington Death Factory” does, in fact, sell actual fur—a fact that we happily informed everyone who asked.

So, figuring that Burlington might notice a sudden drop in its sales right when all the conscientious consumers are gearing up for the holiday season, we were kind enough to send its execs an e-mail with an explanation: Hey Burlington, we told everyone who asked that you sell fur, and we suggested other (fur-free) places where they can take their money.

So, hey, Burlington, how about you follow other retailers like Zappos.com, Burton, and so many others and change your furry ways? We’ll even accept your leftover fur stock as a taxable donation. Sweet of us, right?

Written by Amanda Schinke

Comments

• JanessaKayne says:

1207 1240 I heard deer eat carrots and sometimes parsnips if you fed it to them

• Ann says:

Do you mean the area by the 405 freeway in Los Angeles?? Is there were you leave apples for the deer?

• Susan Connell says:

Hello to everyone that travels Jefferson Ave and drives by the Walmart and Lowe’s area.Some may not know of the family of deer who live in the small little patch of land right there on the highway across from the airport but you can see them everyday around 500 and after.  There deer were forced out of City Center by the construction and have lived there for a few years now how I don’t know.  Every winter I will drop bags of apples out there for them for I know they must be starving.  I would just like all others to be aware of them and kindly do the same with food. The only thing I knew to drop off was apples. If anyone else knows of other things they will eat please post.

• Bailey says:

YES! I was already obsessed with The Office but after seeing that and knowing it was faux I am happier than ever. This is more of what we need on TV!!!

• anon says:

Ok about Zappos.com YES they do sell fur and leather! I looked at womens shoes just now and the first page was packed with disgusting leather boots. AND my mom who sadly doesn’t share my view on most matters just bought some of those awful Ugg boots and slippers from them recently. Poor sheep…

• kelly says:

Burlington Coat Factory when it was exposed that some of the “faux” coats they were selling were actually real fur CONTINUED TO SELL THAM AS FAUX They are lying scumbags Other stores do this too Macy’s Lord Taylor etc