Obama’s Turkey Pardon: Malia and Sasha to the Rescue!

Written by PETA | November 25, 2009
wikimedia / CC
Obama family

When President Obama received this year’s lucky turkey to be pardoned, he had some brow-raising reservations: “I’m told Presidents Eisenhower and Johnson actually ate their turkeys. You can’t fault them for that; that’s a good-looking bird,” he said.

Malia and Sasha’s response? No. He. Couldn’t.

“Thanks to the interventions of Malia and Sasha—because I was planning to eat this sucker—’Courage’ will also be spared this terrible and delicious fate,” he said.

To show Malia and Sasha that we’re thankful for their lifesaving involvement this Thanksgiving, we’re giving the girls an honorary membership to PETA Kids!

Written by Logan Scherer

Comments

• Lauren Owens says:

Since 1989 during the first Thanksgiving of President George H. W. Bush the president has granted the turkey a “presidential pardon” and thus spared the bird from being slaughtered. It not the girl’s and in the end they eat some kind of meat.

• Kim says:

Well any bit of Respect for Obama I had just totally went away. That’s disgusting that He was planning to eat that poor bird. I’m happy those two girls stepped in a saved it. Maybe that means at least someone in the white house has a brian.

• roxanne says:

Is this the change that I voted for. He really has no compassion and I don’t like that at all!

• vegancoin says:

totally unsettling that man is pure evil. it is telling that he is openly arrogant crude and disrespectful to the unfortunate animals. he doesn’t live a real life he is stuck in his fantasy world he can’t rise above it.

• Supermanwannabe says:

I thought PETA is against maltreatment of animals only. Isn’t it ok to eat them as decent food? We don’t kill them for vain or something. I am confused.

• Ryan says:

Lol Obama’s being hated by everyone now!

• Laurie says:

i think he was just playing around. with the intense scrutiny he’s under he’s probably on eggshells. lol

• antonia says:

we thank you Malia and Sasha for taking the initiative and bring the world to the attention of animals

• Patty says:

PETA should contact the Pres. and tell him that using the words “This Sucker” shows disrespect for animals and was NOT funny. Not only did it show insensitivity for all the animals that are eaten but for the particular one he was supposedly pardoning. I personally like our Pres. but was taken back by his choice of words and lack of respect consideration for animals and vegetarians. I think an official PETA letter would make him set a better example in the future. Thanks.

• Sadie says:

I’m a veg so I’m happy!I’m crazy for animals Obama!

• Martie. says:

Look I’m an activist of Peta to but to the point to stop eating meat no. I mean he’s not gonna slaughter this turkey isn’t that a good thing? Yes Maybe he’s gonna go buy a Butterball or whatever But it’s just humane to eat meat. Animal cruelty IS a bad thing testing mistreating or killing for fur that’s what’s not humane! I love animal as if they are human and whenever i eat meat I am thankfull for that animal to be in my plate cause i need it to live. I respect you Vegeterians and Veggans but please start respecting those who actualy eat meat but that loves animal as much as you do.

• Curtis says:

Obama comes across as an arrogant jerk. I’m not a fan.

• Simara says:

Mel popularity based on the suffering and murder of others is not a popularity anyone should wish to obtain or maintain.A society that has celebrations and daily life choices centered around the unnecessary murder and torture of others will never grow and evolve unless they are presented with the horrifying truth behind the choices they make and provided with an option.Tradition does not equal good just moral ethical healthy or positive.Woman and minorities where mistreated abused tortured and disrespected for centuries in America the fact that it happened for so long and was so widely accepted did not make it right infact all the more reason it needed to be changed as it had gone on for so long.If you stop and think about it all it is rather disgusting like a real life texas chainsaw massacrecentering a traditional celebration around the torture and murder of another innocent feeling living being who had a family themselves is vile especially in today’s society when there are soooooooooooo many VEGAN options.The president promised to have some animal rights campaigns before he came into office and thus far he has made a national hunting day killed a fly on TV and also said “I was going to eat that sucker” about the Turkey he “pardoned”.I am happy to see an African American in the office but frankly I don’t care what color a president is nor what age or sex I just desire a president who speaks up and out for animal rights as well as gay and woman’s any other person or group who is being violated with injustice.At least George Bush was upfront about being an ahole. Petayou censor so much of what you post weather it is responses like mine to your blogs or the many other aspects of the people you showcase as great on your site.Just because you paint a person as wonderful does not make them so.You give half truth’s and half facts and confuse many people by doing so.This President does not care about animals and that needs to change.

• Brian Cernius says:

I think it is horrible he would say those things….but atleast we finally dont have a red neck president that goes hunting every chance he gets

• Marion says:

Yes Christina I was really mad too that he could look at that living thing and want to eat it… disgusting!!

• Jason says:

“Sucker” is the same word he used when he swatted a fly on TV during an interview. Guess he believes all animals are suckers.

• b.fishman says:

I’m proud of him and his decision and happy for his children and our country…one step at a time!

• Rex's Mom says:

Obama said that the turkey will be sent to Disney World where PETA said the turkeys dont last long. Maybe with more of an effort PETA can convince whoever is in charge of the turkey to send the turkey to a sanctuary. By the way I heard on tv that the first president to spare a turkey was President George H.W. Bush so it hasn’t been going on that long. I thought it was for a longer time than that but maybe the person on tv was wrong.

• Tyler Gaines says:

I could only imagine McCain in this same situation.

• Vanessa says:

How could you say something about an animal.When i look an animal i see a beautiful creaturenot a good looking dinner… Who’s a sucker than?

• Bluebell says:

I have a lot of respect for Obama and admire him for some of his views but it’s a shame animal welfare issues aren’t that high on his list of priorities.

• Chris says:

the white house party was mostly vegetarian I heard so you gotta thank someone in the White House for that. Go tofurks!

• Brien Comerford says:

Obama’s remarks were irreverent and unsettling. He’s a diehard carnivore. Will we EVER have a President that Truly has reverence for the lives of all God’s creatures. Not a peep out of him regarding Robert Mugabe the murderous African dictator that is destroying Zimbabwe as millions of people animals and wildlife species suffer and die.

• Smallu says:

My problem with his pardon was that throughout the video he’s joking around and acting so cavalier. Why can’t he show some modicum of respect for the animal’s life? This could’ve been a far more important speech. I’m not looking for him to come out and say he’s a vegan but couldn’t he at least say something honorable? Obviously he ignored the request to send the turkeys to a proper sanctuary. Sigh guess this president is not animalfriendly.

• Mel says:

If he did that his popularity would be really low… not because of the vegans but for breaking a tradition that’s been around for decades. This doesn’t mean he won’t eat turkey for Thanksgiving just not that one.

• Lulu says:

I’ll be celebrating Thanksgiving on Saturday. Why? Because that will be the day when idiots stop yapping about how much they love eating turkeysfor another year anyway. I’ll be very thankful for that.

• Aneliese says:

Good for his daughters! I’m glad he won’t be eating “this sucker”. Really bad choice of words there…

• Anna says:

oohhh yeah they are so cute girls…

• Christina says:

That makes me so mad that he was actually thinking of eating the turkey! What’s the use of a freakin presidential pardon if the President slaughters that which he was supposed to save? Glad for the intervention of his daughters but the fact that he even considered killing the bird really pisses me off.