Newsweek Cover Story

Written by PETA | August 1, 2007

GorillaHaven/Creative Commons
Gorillas.jpg

Sadly, it’s not often that animal issues of any sort get front page coverage in a national news magazine. But, this week it happened. In case you haven’t seen it, I wanted to point out Newsweek’s superb coverage of the mass slaughter of gorillas in the Congo. For years, the largest threat to these animals has been habitat destruction, but as these stories point out, the tide has turned and hunting is now the biggest danger to the survival of this endangered species.

Here are links to the stories.

Cry of the Wild

Gorilla Warfare

Hugely Vulnerable- Q&A with Richard Leakey

Comments

• Kris Shulfer says:

the gorillas were also on the cover of National Geographic this week as well. since gorillas in the mist came out years ago when i saw it the first time i cried so hard and this is so sad that no matter how hard people try it seems that poachers always find a way to destroy these beautiful animals. it seems like humans are on a mission to kill all animals to the brink of extinction. it is a horrible crime these people commit. i will agree it does make one feel ashamed to be human.

• Tamara says:

I need to say more about this…until I saw that pic in the Newsweek article and the pics of the Gorillas on this page I never realized what beautiful creatures they are. They are magnificent. This is a tragedy what is happening to them. And then of course there are all the goofs who say you can go look at them in a zoo…PETA you gotta stop making me think and look at things in a different way.

• Ana says:

This article had me in tears. I love gorillas I only wish the human animal would leave them alone in peace. I would hate to see these intelligent creatures become extinct. Their continued existence should be a world concern.

• Ariel says:

I don’t know about everyone else but for MANY years I have been receiving requests for donations from the Jane Goodall Institute about protecting these very same gorillas. So I wonder where the donations are going since it has been actually getting worse over the years for them instead of improving??? But then again no amount of money will stop the wealthy game hunterskillers or any other the unconscienable killers. Their bloodlust and killer instincts are more important to them!

• silent tongue says:

So here we go again with another human stain extinction of wildlife! This horrible crime against the last gorillas on this earth which are in the way of extinction is one of the most shameful things going to the account of the human species! I ask myself at which point some human beings shall be content when no other life shall move anymore only the human being in it’s smogfilled ugly streets and cities covering this earth like a cancer growth! But while all the PETA heaters and haters are inundating these blogs i make an appeal to all human beings never mind if they are PETAfriendly or not please respect also the other forms of life not just your own species because you know every idiot can kill an insect but no professor in the world can create one! So respect at least your own creator!!!

• Janet says:

Everytime I see stuff like this I feel ashamed of being human.

• Michelle says:

PETA thankyou for blogging about this. I’ve been following this story since January of this year and I agree it is about time it becomes front cover news! Everyone please get involved go to http://www.wildlifedirect.orgblogadmingorilla this details what the rangers do to protect the gorillas and the many obstacles they face everyday.

• Tamara says:

I saw that article I’m a Newsweek subscriber…but haven’t been able to read it yet. The photo of several men carrying a dead gorilla on sticks is revolting. Repulsive. Sad. Heartwretching. I’ll get around to reading the article. As soon as I can get past the photo.

• Gracie says:

Thank you all at Newsweek who felt this was a story worth letting the world know about. From what I understand after reading the article the male gorilla was shot “execution style”. The females were then murdered and two of their infants left alive traumatized and defenseless. One of the most horrible and devastating issues in this story is that these murders are not related to the rampant poaching that goes on in many areas. They did not kill the gorillas for bush meat or to steal and sell parts of the animals as trophies or even sell the infants on the black market. The killers were making a statement as yet unknown to us. We should urge the Congo government to allow special guards which request was denied earlier to defend the remaining gorilla families. This is a major tragedy and one that did not have to occur had there been sufficient human protection for these intelligent nonaggressive and extremely endangered creatures.

• Mary says:

Its heartbreaking to see not only gorillas but so many other beautiful animals on the brink of extinction because of humans. It truly makes me ashamed that we are the ones to blame. Our greed is wiping out wild animals. Its our fault. We all need to smarten up and stop thinking only of ourselves before its too late!

• BullyDawg says:

My God…simply more victims of the Congolese conflict. Gorillas who were killed simply because they were in the way of socalled “progress.” Bless that park ranger Ngobobo for trying to protect the gorillas.