Nearly 6,000 Animals Seized From Pet Dealer

Written by PETA | April 12, 2011

Authorities recently raided Dutch animal dealer and breeding mill Reintjes—a supplier of U.S. Global Exotics (USGE)—and  found animals crammed in cages in a dark warehouse with no working fan to combat stale air and the stench of urine and feces. Many animals had no access to food or water, and many were starving. Authorities seized every animal on the premises—5,900 in all, including mice, rats, hamsters, and birds—from Reintjes’ owners, who already had criminal records for cruelty to animals.

Reintjes was a global supplier of animals to the pet trade. In 2009 alone, it supplied 112,546 animals to USGE, a major supplier of animals to wholesale dealers and pet stores in the U.S.—including PETCO and PetSmart suppliers Rainbow World Exotics and Sun Pet—until it was shut down following a PETA undercover investigation. USGE, which purchased rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, chinchillas, chipmunks, tree squirrels, and other animals from Reintjes, shared the Dutch company’s view of animals as disposable commodities. Authorities raiding USGE found live animals shoved into soda bottles and tiny food storage containers; animals with severe, untreated injuries; a widespread lack of food, water, and adequate housing; and sick animals left to die. In fact, on the day of the seizure, an unpacked shipment of hundreds of chinchillas and hamsters from Reintjes was among the first things authorities found.

There is no word yet on whether Reintjes will be shut down permanently, but we will release updates as we have them. It is impossible to patronize pet stores like PETCO and PetSmart that sell live animals without supporting abusive animal dealers and breeding mills. Please, purchase your animal supplies at stores that don’t sell live animals.

Written by Michelle Sherrow

Comments

• Kath says:

As humans I am under the belief that we are supposed to let other animals live in peace and harmony with us, if unable to do that (or unwilling) we at least owe them the dignity and care we would want for ourselves. What hope is there for humanity if we treat animals in such disgusting ways. It scares me, and nausiates me! Love and Light.

• Marvin Pitts says:

What do you mean by you dont know if they will shut them down PERMANENTLY!! There is no reason that could be explained to me that would allow the operation of this company. The operators should be prosicuted to the fullest extent of the law!!!

• Barbara Durham says:

Reintjes needs to have done to him or her exactly what has been done to each and every animal in this video… That was horrible… I am not a fan of snakes but I feel for those guys. I have always rescued every animal I have acquired and now I fully understand why I do.. other than the factor of the overpricing. People wonder why some of the pets they acquire from the big petstores already come with issues.. I think this video said it all. Those poor babies.. Each and every one of them

• Sara says:

It sickens me what us people do today. I trusted petsmart considering since they have it all and great toys, food, cages e.t.c. I used to go there when I needed to get something for my Senegal Parrot. It just hurts me to even think that right now, today, this hour an animal is being abused and neglected. Now I dont know where I will get my parrot the things that I get from Petsmart….but I’ll try and figure out somehow.

• cheryl says:

Seeing how neglected the animals in this video are, makes me physically ill and I only wish these greedy people who think it’s ok to treat them this way would wake up and realize the dreadful harm they are doing and want to stop it immediately, and if they don’t, they should be put in prison and treated badly themselves and maybe then they would have some sense of the damage they are causing these lovely little innocent animals. I wish Jesus would come back right now and make it STOP!

• Dalton says:

i have a guinea pig from petsmart and i love it dearly. i still have the 14 day garuntee. should i return it or keep it?

• chelsea anna hoover says:

It breaks my heart to see animals treated this way. I usually only adopt pets in need, i try not to buy them, and in the case of my chinchilla, we found him in a backyard getting beat up on by crows. I think it hurts me even more that Pet Smart could, even mistakenly, condone this kind of behavior. I have trusted them for years with the best products for all my furry friends.. They seem to always know whats best and have the latest products. I guess next time I’m shopping for pet food I’ll hit the local feed store instead. I can’t believe people think its okay to treat animals that way. As a vegetarian and an avid adopter, I hope that something can be done to stop these evils that lurk in our society

• elispeed says:

This is absolutely horrendous. Animals being mass packaged and stored away in the dark without air, food or water, like some kind of disposable objet. I’m so disappointed to hear that there is still no harsh punishment verdict for Reintjes. This should not be happening to any living thing, Reintjes, and any other pet supply company which treats animals in this way should be shut down immediately without hesitation.

• Thorn says:

It’s sad, but seeing this video does help put things in perspective when it comes to animals.

• Lisa says:

Ive never been a fan of rodents untill my daughter got 2 rats i always thought they were dirty vermin, how wrong i was, my daughter says i only visit her because i want to see the rats she has lol they are abosulte beautiful intelligent animals they love human contact they wash and groom you they love cuddles i love them to its and it breaks my heart to see people treat them like this, that is any animal,i suppose they think because they are small they dont feel pain or have feeligs, how wrong they are

• Animal.Lover says:

Unforgivable and beyond cruel

• Virginia Schmidt says:

Seeing the conditions these poor animals are being subjected to is enough to break anyones heart. The insanity of allowing these kinds of things to happen in the shipping of exotic animals is absolutely unforgivable. Please stop allowing animals to be treated this way; this is just plain wrong.

• Mari says:

Very disappointing to hear this news. I’m happy to say we support Anaheim Feed & Pet Supply in Anaheim, CA and they DON’T sell any live animals!!