Mr. Joy: Chick Magnet

Written by PETA | June 12, 2008

It’s not too often that you hear about a chicken who is the center of attention rather than the center of a dinner plate. That’s why I was so psyched to run across this article about Mr. Joy. A therapy chicken who visits assisted-living centers around Charlotte, North Carolina, Mr. Joy totally digs it when people pet and coo over him. And from the sound of it, people totally dig this cock-a-doodle dude too!

Also a patron of the arts and an animal rights activist (I kid you not), Mr. Joy and his adopted mom, Alisha Tomlinson, are on a mission not only to spread cheer but also to spread the message that chickens are smart, interesting animals who don’t deserve to be turned into nuggets.

In fact, when he’s not working the rest-home circuit or kicking it with his two wives in their spacious coop condo; he can usually be found in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant. Sticking up for all his fallen peeps who have been abused, butchered, battered, and thrown into buckets, Mr. Joy charms the crowd from the safety of the car while his mom hands out leaflets about factory farming.

Want more Joy? Check out his Web site here. On a more comical note, check out a video showing Mr. Joy getting the beauty-shop treatment below:

-Amy

Posted by Amy Elizabeth

Comments

• Antigone1000 says:

The problem with the AKC is that it encourages dog breeding at a time when animals are dying by the thousands in shelters. We do not rate humans on cosmetic beauty and family lines thank godmost people would be in deep trouble why do we do it to animals?? THAT is what is wrong with the AKC.

• morgan says:

wow he is adorable and he reminds me of the canadian goose that i found when it was a baby and i raised it

• joanna says:

What is the difference between lying this chicken on his back and blow drying him and putting eye liner on a show dog? I think what they are doing to this chicken is cruel!

• Saucy says:

This chick is gonna be a star! Gorgeous well groomed perky. Thanks for that moment of sweetness and goodness. There is a scripture in the Bible that says ” It is the Goodness of God that will lead men to repentence “. What a great idea taking a beautiful bird to a demonstration. I’ve started saving the boxes of the vegitarian meals that I eat like Boca and Garden Burger rice milk and cheese. I cut up the cardboard boxes and prepare a package to give people when they say “What do you eat”. Everyone who does KFC demo’s and other demo’s too should start cutting those boxes up and we can hand them out like flyers. Sometimes you have too gently take people by the hand and lead them to goodness. Love all Live all.

• lynda downie says:

What a darling little guy! A mighty fine rep for his ‘peeps’as Amy so aptly calls them. Great work Mr.Joy and Alisha!

• anitagata@aol.com says:

Adorable Mr. Joy!!!!!

• susan says:

Joanna I have to agreewith you.Peta is all for banning pit bulls. I own a beautiful gentle pit bull. She was abused and is the most gentle dog. I also have a rescued chihuahua who was abused. He will take your toes off if you make him mad. Ilove him just as much. It is not the dog it is the person who raised them. They also called the beloved Steve Irwin an animal abuser!!! He saved animals so they would not be killed by man. The supreme human being? I also believe that they should fight where the fight is needed.

• joanna says:

When I show my dog at an AKC dog show it takes about two minutes for the judge to go over him. He is getting treats the whole time and wags his tail. PETA screeches abuse about that. I don’t make any money from showing and I don’t breed dogs it’s a hobby. In addition to AKC dog shows my dogs are trained for search and rescue work. I think I am taking very good care of them and really dislike being called a tax cheat and animal abuser by bloggers here. However PETA says its okay to have a vegan dog party where somebody dresses up and the dogs are fed corn and peanut cakes that actually are sickening to my dog. Then PETA says its great to dress a chicken like Santa and parade it around and keep it in a cage. Ahh I just dont get it. What’s the difference for me to show my happy well cared for dog and these other PETA approved animal activities? Is there really any difference? I think in a free society it should be acceptable to have a pet and treat it as I see fit so long as I am not harming the animal. The PETAliban should stick to issues that pertain to animal abuse and are not just shades of personal opinion on how best to enjoy our animal friends.

• Mike Quinoa says:

He’s a beautiful dude and Alisha’s a very smart activist.

• Annalena says:

What a sweetie! I loved visiting a turkey sanctuary as a child. I was delighted with their soft noises and sparkling black eyes.Birds have such character!

• Joann says:

That is so cute! I love how hes falling to sleep! I don’t even get spoiled like that!!!

• Carla says:

Oh my goodness!! I’m in love!! His demeanor reminds me of my rescued quail Cosmo!! Absolutely sweet!!