This Mother Loves Her Baby Too

Written by PETA | May 6, 2011
Razvan Antonescu/cc by 2.0

With people all over the country honoring their mothers this weekend, we thought it was the perfect time to dip into the archives and share one of our favorite stories about a mother who overcame tremendous obstacles to be reunited with her baby.

Blackie, a 2-year-old cow, was happy just munching on grass and caring for her new baby, with whom she had spent nearly every moment of his young life. She had licked him clean after his birth, nudged him up onto wobbly legs, and watched him take his first tentative steps. But her bliss was short-lived. One day, Blackie and her calf were loaded onto a truck, taken on a frightening ride to market, and sold—separately.

Blackie, as any mother would be, was panicked and grief-stricken. Sometime during her first night in her new home, she broke out of the farmyard, jumped over a hedge, and set off in search of her calf. The next morning, she was found at another farm seven miles away, contentedly suckling her calf. When Blackie’s new owner was traced, he was so moved by Blackie’s maternal love that he purchased her calf so that mother and son could be together.

Is Blackie’s love of her baby unique, or was her sorrow and desperation typical of what millions of other bovine mothers go through—without happy endings? On dairy farms, cows are impregnated every year, and their babies are torn away from them within hours of birth, just so that humans can drink the milk that nature intended for calves. This Mother’s Day, you can do much more than send a card and flowers—you can help prevent cows from going through the agony of losing baby after baby, simply by boycotting dairy products and choosing milk made from almonds, rice, or soy instead.

Written by Michelle Sherrow

Comments

• veganater says:

hey troll, so you enjoy cow milk. it is obvious you dont care about their suffering so why are you even on here? i think people like you say these comments for a reaction too. i hope when you enjoy the next glass you can think about the suffering that she went through for you and also the pus, hormones, steroids, and antibiotics in it. yummy.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Apache Troll, Most of the world is lactose-intolerant, and can’t digest cows’ milk. Also, many studies have indicated that milk consumption is a risk factor for prostate cancer. I’m very happy with my organic, unsweetened Natura soy milk (I think it’s just a Canadian brand).

• Apache Troll says:

Sally, there’s still the simple reason, which is I enjoy cow milk. Why would I settle for something LIKE milk, when there’s a world where real milk already exists.

• Mike Quinoa says:

Ralpy, Blackie may be an unusually determined cow, but the bond between a mother cow and her calf is real and commonplace. Even ag websites will tell you that.

• Mehdi says:

No Comment … just do it

• Sally Lawrence says:

Try OAT milk if you don’t like soy milk! It is great to drink in coffee, on cereal or by the glass. Try chocolate soy – you cannot tell the difference to chocolate cow milk. There is just no excuse to drink cow milk with all these great alternatives.

• BreLovesAnimals says:

Good-bye cow milk, hello SOY MILK :):):)

• Elaine says:

I cant stand cruelty. Its too hard to take. I really detest the way humans handle these poor animals. Im proud to be vegetarian and feel resentment towards people who are ignorant and still continue to eat meat regardless of their health, the planet and of course the poor suffering animals. Its affects my health seeing all the evil doings that humans have bestowed on every animal on this planet. It sickens me. Can barely watch these videos!its horrific! It kills me !

• Elaine says:

• Lpasc says:

I hate that humans are so horrible i cant understand the way they think, my brother works for a harvesting company my kids like to go ride the chopper for years ive gone out to dairys to drop them off i always pet the baby cows i didnt understand why they where in those little cages now that i know im so angry i want to go take them but that cant happen

• valhalla says:

One of the saddest of animal stories is the story of the milking cow and her baby the ‘Bobby’ calf,the cruel treatment of this poor ‘baby’is heart breaking ,if he is not shot onto the back of a truck and bundled off to be slaughtered ,he is put into a dark holding pen where he can’t lay down,his muscles are made week ,poor baby he stays there until the farmer thinks it’s time ,and he is slaughtered for -the humans who then eat him –it’s called -veal.

• Cynthia Mac Farland says:

This is a great story!! I drink soy milk and we all should try alternatives to cows milk.

• cn says:

Amen. Milk is for cows.

• Simba says:

ALL COWS THAT GIVE BIRTH SHOULD BE ALLOWED AT LEAST A MONTH TO CARE FOR THEIR CALF. ALSO CALVES SHOULD HAVE NO LESS THAN 6 MONTHS BEFORE THEY ARE SLAUGHTERED. NO-ONE SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE AWAY A LIFE BEFORE IT HAS HAD A CHANCE TO LIVE !!!!!!

• Julija Merljak says:

Go VEGAN!!

• cheryl Callahan says:

STOP!!!! animals have feeling also, and they feel pain just like humans!!!!

• Tara says:

Wow, I loved this story. Thanks so much for sharing it. It brought a tear to my eyes and also reminded me of the reality that most cows and their calves don’t have this happy ending. I am vegetarian…going vegan…and I’ve already cut out all cow’s milk from my diet. :)

• Debbie says:

I’m all for non milk products. The chocolate soy is great…..so is the almond. Everyday cows are enduring pain so that we may engorge ourselves with a products that have bacteria, antibiotics, and pus in them….c’mon guys….it doesn’t take rocket science.

• brandao jacqueline says:

Strange how there are few comments on this topic! probably because many believe that the cow is made to be eaten! how sad this rotten world who thinks only of binge and become obese.

• Nicole says:

THIS IS DISGUSTING. END IT NOW.

• MA Moore says:

Great artilce! To love is to receive a glimpse of Heaven! We honor our Creator by honoring all of Creation. Happy Mothers Day to all species great and small!

PETA Catalog